Sign in to follow this  
mandoble

Mando Missile ArmA for ArmA 2

Anybody have any tips on hitting ground targets with the AGM65 missiles? I can never seem to get the lock to steady on a ground target -it will be beep and I will have a straight line on my target but it seems to lock 'nearby' the ground target rather than on it.

Edit~

Damn I just don't get this. The AgM65(Ground) target reticule will seemingly lock on nothingness with a high repeating beaping sound -is this signifying a lock for this weapon? For Air-Air/Surface to Air I'm fine but this one is driving me nuts. Read the on-line manual but it didn't really address this in detail.

Anybody?

Edited by froggyluv

Ok finally figured this out. I recommend anybody who really wants to test this thing out download DBO's Afghanistan map -it'll give you the room to see whats going on.

froggyluv, in (ground) mode what you do is to target a ground position (not any moving enemy vehicles,etc, just a ground position). This is something like a GPS locking on, so you will not unlock that position even when moving far away or not having line of sight with it. You can use this position as a navigation reference or to attack it. Said that, what's your problem in (ground) mode?

froggyluv, in (ground) mode what you do is to target a ground position (not any moving enemy vehicles,etc, just a ground position). This is something like a GPS locking on, so you will not unlock that position even when moving far away or not having line of sight with it. You can use this position as a navigation reference or to attack it. Said that, what's your problem in (ground) mode?

Thanks, I finally figured this out. Probably due to my inexperience with flight sims/armaments, I assumed that the target retiticule would lock on to the closest 'heat source' for this missile but now I see that it locks on whereever the green center crosshair is when hitting the Lock button. Actually takes more skill and now that I understand it, is more enjoyable.

When I put the mando gamelogic into a multiplayer map, does everybody playing on that server need to have MandoMissile installed, or is it for example enough when just the pilots have it.

Froggyluv, to lock on "engine on" vehicles you have the standard AGM65 mode, in this mode you will see squares on the HUD for moving vehicles and then you can lock on any of them. Ground mode doesnt display any vehicle/ship on HUD, you just select a ground position and it will remain marked as current target unless you change the HUD operating mode or you select a new position. For attack missions you may do a fast pass over an enemy base while locking on a ground position inside this base, then move away and from safe range keep firing missiles against it.

Gladius, everybody would need to have it.

Froggyluv, to lock on "engine on" vehicles you have the standard AGM65 mode, in this mode you will see squares on the HUD for moving vehicles and then you can lock on any of them. Ground mode doesnt display any vehicle/ship on HUD, you just select a ground position and it will remain marked as current target unless you change the HUD operating mode or you select a new position. For attack missions you may do a fast pass over an enemy base while locking on a ground position inside this base, then move away and from safe range keep firing missiles against it.

Gladius, everybody would need to have it.

Ahhh, I see. Good to know and yes I'm enjoying the hell outta this addon. Always been an infantry player but I'm pretty hooked on Air/Ground gaming right now. Once more of Gnats boats come out (hopefully), I will be complete.

The Mando Missiles are an awesome enhancement! Thanks for that.

It would be cool to see the SACLOS system with the javelin. Of course, that wouldn't be realistic, because javelin is fire-and-forget, but one could use the Javelin as a Milan ATGM. SACLOS is fun!

Actualy if planes tend not to crash is because of ,

-first of all pilots are carefull ,they've been trained to be carefull.

-Theyr're never alone ,no air operation implies only one aircraft at least they're linked with ground units

-We never saw an IRL full scale war like it's simulated in ARMA II , Today conflict tend to be asymetrical with one side having difficulties to get state of the art weapons , (like SAM or manpads for instance)

If we imagine a conflicts implying a marines corps versus some russian mechanized bataillon with support from a nearby airbase. During the first days, airbattle would rage at high intensity, this would result in one side having superiority on the other: this mean having destroyed a vast majority of their CAP airplanes and SAM sites.

The side wich has lost the air warfare would have to rely on manpads and mobile SAM to force enemies aircrafts to stay high so that they can't be very accurate.

With my very little experience (comming from research and lots of hours of FALCON 4,lock on and DCS:BS) I know that pilots don't what to fly low because of Manpads and other threats that cannot be detected and thus it's a lot harder for them to do CAS effectively , they have to plan carefully each run on the target so that they don't stay too long into enemy manpads range.

This constant threat of not knowing if a missile is flying toward you forces you to constantly pop flare while in danger area and prevents an A10 to destroy a whole russian batallion just with it's gun :coop:

I agree with you 100% on everything. I would love it if the game forced pilots to use countermeasures liberally when threat is present or even better when possibility of threat is present. Game makes alot of compromises, and considering the scale, it is totally understandable. Current "high" altitude for flight in Arma 2 is about 1-2km, which is the prime engagement range for for all forms of air-defense presented in the game (with exception of Tunguska, which likes to have more range). Deploying dumb rockets from that height is pretty much impossible, although in real life they would be deployed from 1-2 km if not higher, so in a way game forces pilots to stay low while giving them zero defensive tools.

While more modern specimens like F35 don't really interest me, I'd like "down and dirty" attack aircraft, i.e. Su-25 or A10, to have a bit more teeth when it comes to survivability.

Bartkusa, no, the launchers will lock on the target, while the missile, when fired might pursue mando flares or the target, or first the target, then mando flares, or even reacquiring the original target after passing through mando flares.

1st coop multiplayer experience, simply by adding logics to a modded Domination, and replacing a chopper with a Cobra:

* Doesn't work well with addons like JTD_FireAndSmoke: While in TV mode, birds and fires sounds like they happen around you for some odd reason. Instead of being far away. Might be a problem with the sound system of JTD_FireAndSmoke.

* Enforced night vision in TV during night. Didn't help getting rid of the character NVG. This rendered the "FLIR" useless. No buttons for it and N obviously didn't work.

* The "incoming radar" would flicker a lot on the screen, even though there was never any incoming missiles.

* TV actionmenu was available from outside the chopper. If you landed on top of a building, this would put the "TV viewpoint" below the building roof :)

* Pilot had access to all features of the TV, except the actual firing of the rocket. It would "fire", but not track any pilot selected targets.

We're not a "hardware oriented" group, but was nice to try something new.

Sorry for being such an ignorant noob, but, some noob Cobra questions (I'm an infantry guy):

1) IRL, who fires the Hydra?

2) IRL, can pilot operate TV and cannon remotely?

3) IRL, can pilot do "manual fire"?

4) Would he, rather then returning?

Yes, you are using mando_torpedowater2a.sqf which tetonates the torpedo when speed decreases (which should happen when the torpedo hits something). But for some reason speed command returns weird values underwater, so it might detonate even when traveling at constant real speed. You may try with mando_torpedowater1a.sqf, which is the one used by the MH60S torpedoes. Anyway, tell me if there is a way to locate you online, I have no luck at all with messenger ;)

Thanks mate, 1a works much better.

Sorry, don't really use any messenger software anymore, too many people and no time for projects.

Sorry for being such an ignorant noob, but, some noob Cobra questions (I'm an infantry guy):

1) IRL, who fires the Hydra?

2) IRL, can pilot operate TV and cannon remotely?

3) IRL, can pilot do "manual fire"?

4) Would he, rather then returning?

I'll have a first crack at these answers:

1) The hydra, because it's an unguided rocket, is usually controlled by the pilot, who lines up the shots. It also allows the gunner to focus with his cannon on other ground threats when the pilot is preparing his run on the given objective. Arma II doesn't allow simultaneous mixed-weapons fire from the cobra (gunner or pilot only), but I think some clever addon makers elsewhere in the forum are working on the issue. Actually, I think the 'manual fire' option dissapears from the pilot's controls when two human players are flying the cobra, so in that case it's gunner only.

2) Someone yesterday told me that the pilot of a cobra should have redundant weapons controls, and could use the other weapons in a pinch. I think that's what you mean by 'remotely' right? If so, check out this GDT helicopter weapons addon by HeinBloed. I haven't tried it, but the vet I was talking to yesterday said it was great.

3) See above two answers.

4) I can only assume secondhand. In the tragic event that a cobra gunner was incapacitated, I assume a pilot would engage his objective if he and his helo were battle-capable. It would be almost entirely situational, since I can only imagine what shape the helo would be in for it's gunner, sitting in that nearly-bulletproof underbelly, to be taken down with the pilot and helo still battle ready.

can you make the following missiles steerable / non steerable

steerabel

CH-29 (only Su34)

GBU-12/ LGB

Falanga

Ataka-V

shturm

non steerable

vikhr

Hellfire

AGM 65

can you make the following missiles steerable / non steerable

steerabel

CH-29 (only Su34)

GBU-12/ LGB

Falanga

Ataka-V

shturm

non steerable

vikhr

Hellfire

AGM 65

Back in the day, people said 'please' and 'thank you' before making a list of requests... And anyway, the Vikhr is technically steerable IRL, just move the laser around before the missile hits. Same with the Hellfire.

Well, actually the Vikhr is quite steerable (just for testing during beta). Just open its TV system, lock on a desired initial target positon, switch from semi auto to auto (F4), fire the missile and guide it manually.

CarlGustaffa, I'll have a look at the points you mentioned. What is weird there is having the RWR display blinking. Can you try it with @mma alone to try to figure out if there is a conflict with other mod/or addon adding another hud or something like that?

Hi Mandoble,

Couple things;

The initial speed parameter doesn't seem to work for torpedo's. Can you confirm.

Also, is it possible to code torpedo's such that if they loose a target (deletevehicle for example) that it will search for another target on its journey?

Cheers.

Initial speed should work for anything, including torpedoes. That speed is added to the speed of the launcher.

To make a torp to change targets you might use a gamelogic as target, and then attach that GL to desired target , if target is deleted you may attach the GL to another vehicle.

You can create a simple script there that creates a trigger and moves the trigger with the torpedo, like the sonobuoy one. and based on detected potential targets in front of the torpedo it attaches the GL (which is the real target) to one or another target.

Initial speed should work for anything, including torpedoes. That speed is added to the speed of the launcher.

hmmmmm ... well it doesn't seem to work. Looking again.

To make a torp to change targets you might use a gamelogic as target, and then attach that GL to desired target , if target is deleted you may attach the GL to another vehicle.

You can create a simple script there that creates a trigger and moves the trigger with the torpedo, like the sonobuoy one. and based on detected potential targets in front of the torpedo it attaches the GL (which is the real target) to one or another target.

Fair enough, but I'm addon coding, not mission scripting.

At the moment my Subs base addon is camouflaged a fair bit, but because it shouldn't be "camouflaged" on the water surface, I've added a special non-visible dummy addon to be attached to a surfaced Sub, taking away the camouflage and make the sub a target (indirectly).

Problem is that the dummy is what the other subs/torpedos target, and once the sub dives the dummy target is deleted. Hence, no target lock any more.

.... I'll keep thinkin. Cheers.

Awesome Gnat that your making progress!! Can't wait for those Subs! Thanks Mandoble for all your work on this! :)

This looks amazing.

Something I worry about, is all these fantastic mods and addons are going to be missed by much of the community.

Can this be used on existing maps, or do the maps require tweaking?

Thanks.

You can use it in existing maps too, but this might "break" an existing mission if not tweaked. For example, an enemy chopper in a cutscene is supposed to cross a valey and some Stinger soldiers are supposed to destroy it, but now you put default setup of mando missiles there and the same enemy chopper handles to avoid the missiles with automatic flares so your cutscene is "broken". Things like that is what might require some tweaking in some existing missions.

Is there a simple painfree way of making MM always active? Meaning, a command or script that would automatically place the 2 game logics in all missions without opening them up and placing them manually?