Sign in to follow this  
Chunk3ym4n

Why are public games in ArmA II so terrible?

Wow. I had no idea. :butbut:

Well, I'm very surprised that there was so little response to such a thing. I'd be happy to admin it if you needed me to. Just so long as the PvP maps are good, and that there is also the possibility to use good coop maps.

I'm with Whisper. There are a lot of complainers and remarkably few do-ers ;-) BTW - as I've repeatedly said, I'm happy to add features to my script-pack for people who want to use them as long as they're willing to put a bit of effort in themselves for testing and organising games.

BTW, I strongly recommend Tom Anger's SIEGE maps if you want team-work in a small PvP scenario - one side has to defend an objective whereas the other has to infiltrate at least one member to win. No respawns, when you die you get to spectate but are otherwise out of the game - very good and tense experience.

well lets get the ball rolling then, lets add some features we would like to see in a pvp map, and the ask sbsmac nicely if he could implement them into a map for us all...:)

It's not just bad quality in Arma 2 VOIP - the volume is also pretty damn low so even if someone is clear it's hard to hear what he's saying.

regarding the voip issue, there is also a teamspeak running, but if people would prefer vent or mumble i'm sure something can be sorted out...

Edited by KELLO

Salah ad Din;1482450']Yes' date=' MP on most servers is horrible and Teamwork in PR is normally much better. Squad coherence is virtually non-existent because there are no drawbacks if you go lone-wolf.

Most servers insist on people joining their Teamspeak to participate in anything resembling an organized game, [u']which is ridiculous [/u]if you have a look at the rather nice VOIP system that ArmaA2 offers. If you don't want to join their TS, you're practically forced to lone-wolf.

If I use VOIP I must turn up the Volume and It becomes unbearable with all the other sounds. If they Had a way to adjust Only the Voip then Maybe it would work but as is no one can hear the Voip with out blowing thier ears out.

I have seen You in our server Why not Try Teamspeak and see for yourself how MUCH BETTER the game becomes. TS is free www.goteamspeak.com

The thing is, if I join your TS, I am virtually unreachable for my clan mates on OUR TS :D

@KELLO: what exactly are you looking for in an Admin? I am not really the sharpest knife in the set when it comes to server stuff (more of a spoon imo). So I would need some really hands on advice on Adminning an Arma2 server.

Btw, are these servers associated with you too, or do you simply share most of the IP by accident:

Edited by [GCA] Salah ad Din

they are all on our GSP IP range, the admining side is simply to admin the server, kick team killers make sure everyone play properly etc...

If I use VOIP I must turn up the Volume and It becomes unbearable with all the other sounds. If they Had a way to adjust Only the Voip then Maybe it would work but as is no one can hear the Voip with out blowing thier ears out.

I have seen You in our server Why not Try Teamspeak and see for yourself how MUCH BETTER the game becomes. TS is free www.goteamspeak.com

In my experience only direct chat is so quiet. Most often times low volumes are a result of the mic settings of the speaker.

i think its gotta do with the fact that nobody uses gamespy arcade anymore like for OFP

i think its gotta do with the fact that nobody uses gamespy arcade anymore like for OFP

What does that have to do with terrible public games?? :confused:

There are enough alternatives.

I would love to play on some locked down or orginaized pub servs but I dont have time to join a squad and build rank just to drive a Hummv. I just want to play with a nice group of orginaized players without alot of required training and "yes,sir's" to a kid who isnt old enough to drive.

Every once in a while you get a good group of sod's who can mash it up.

Another thing, the teamspeak for Veh and Helicopters rule is lame. You have soem moron on TS drive the MHQ right into the line of fire but if you jump in to repositio it safer you get "dont drive if your not on TS ..thats the rule ...no ifs or but's"

So i undertand the need to keep order and noobs will destrot all you r helos if you let them...but Im a 38yo man who fly planes for living and I think I can decide when to take Action or stick to a lame rule......In otherwords the rules sometimes create the very situation that they are trying to prevent.

And while Im on this rule........

This rule only works if you have an organized command.....I am tired of sitting around HQ waiting for tranport....looking at a row of helis......and a bunch of guys standing around it saying "dont fly if your not on TS"

If there is no orginized transport by command than all bets are off.

If you have a rule like this you need to be resposible for facilitating transport and if not let people use theyre own resources to get to the fight.

Alot of times there are more guys standing at the MHQ then the AO because of this "nodrive TS" rule.

Ive been on TS for hours flying and driving and never talked to anyone and this was ok ...so Im not sure what the point of the rule is......except to exclude no TS people.

If noobs are a problem...lock em down so just command can use them or crew.

And squad leaders...medics.....engineers.....do your jobs

Squad leaders...slow down, stop running, you scatter your squad all over when you run everywhere.....and ...command your squad ...give them a cohesive vision and they will follow you.

Medics....Medicate.....DOnt go off shooting in front of the battle...you should be healing not shooting..

Engineers.....same as above but fixing stuff instead of healing.

And to server admins......I dont care what problems your having just dont make em mine.

If you are admining 10 servers dont get irritated at me, not my issue. Im here to have fun in your game and if its not fun I wont come back and then eventually you have no players.. Harping on the rules through voice and message spams is also tiring.

I stopped playing Americas Army due to lots of this. ARMA/OFP folk are definatly better team players.

Thats my rant thanks to all that play well and use teamwork!

Cheers

Edited by tractorking

You post is dead on.

I think the command and control is the biggest issue.

Commanders need to retain control troughout the mission.

I see alot of preplanning but once the bullets start flying the orders come less frequent and there is no inititive to regroup and rearm or hold positions.

Everybody just charges for the target until you have a string of wounded and out or ammo infantry in the wake.

You must move slow from point to point to keep control and commands need to come every minute or so to keep people on track...This is Command and Control......this will prevent Fog of War and Blue on BLue issues.

It only takes one person to do this.

I am happy to be the one sitting back and giving commands, Im good at it, years of practice.:)

But I am thrilled when someone else does it and everyone follows and we all play as a team and I get to shoot and kill lot of stuff and not die or have to hid behind things constantly.:yay:

Edited by tractorking

You are complaining about administrators that both require TS and play bad, which is really the exception, not the norm.

If you want cooperation, you should get on TS. If you think you're playing with idiots the best (and only) thing you can do if you're not an administrator is to join another server.

Yes this game needs better admins, but complaining here about how bad some admins are probably won't do much. Bad players tend to not even know these forums exist.

Even in domination you can have tight coordination and teamwork. It all depends on the server you join.

I have the ingame VOIP enabled on my server. Those who want to join vent, are welcome to. Those who don't use the VOIP. A few don't have mics and have grown adept with the ingame commands.

We all squad up and work it one mission at a time. Nothing like having a couple of harrier GBU's up with people targeting while others are pushing the infantry back to complete the objective.

Custom missions with no or limited respawn are also fun with tight teamwork.

As plenty have said, it's all in who you get with.

Even in domination you can have tight coordination and teamwork. It all depends on the server you join.

Sure you *can*, but the nature of the mission does not require it in any way whatsoever, and thus it's not worth bothering it for anything other than the sheer "hey look we're playing as a team" idea (which does have its place, but it's not anything like actually playing a mission that requires cooperation in order to complete it).

You are complaining about administrators that both require TS and play bad, which is really the exception, not the norm.

If you want cooperation, you should get on TS. If you think you're playing with idiots the best (and only) thing you can do if you're not an administrator is to join another server.

Yes this game needs better admins, but complaining here about how bad some admins are probably won't do much. Bad players tend to not even know these forums exist.

But the Admins come here and read these....;)

It dosent matter if your on TS or not. Ive sat for hours on TS with no one saying a thing. Same fofr VOIP.

To your point though, TS does create a better teamplay platform.

Having said that.......I now have to have Vent, TS, Xfire and what ever else the servermeister decided to tack on because for some reason no one seems to think the built in VOIP works, maybe needs a patch but I havent had any problems in ARMA2 with VOIP.

And its not complaining, as I have provided feedback and remedies as well.

Thats called constructive critism.;)

And that was the point of the thread wasnt it, to discuss the problems and issues of gameplay on the multiplayer servers.

So no complaining, just discussing the pros and cons and what works better or worse to better enjoy the overall gaming experience in Arma2.:)

<snip>

It dosent matter if your on TS or not. Ive sat for hours on TS with no one saying a thing. Same fofr VOIP.

<snip>

Sounds like a real shit server. Whenever I'm on the TS-required-for-flying servers I frequent the VOIP is always alive with chat. Mind you this is a modified domination mode where airships are one of the few precious resources. Ie: the team cannot afford to loose them, therefore must utilize teamplay (and voip) to get the best mileage out of them.

THATS THE LESSON HERE. More maps and missions need to formalize the "economy of death" If a mission permits players to work single handedly they will. Thats the nature of this community.

Public Game vs Clan games

I'm part of a semi organized group of players who periodically play organized games. Its great. Its fun. I really wish it happened more often. The root of this thread and the many others like it is this; Why can other games manage to get teamwork even in public games?

Sure, no one expects perfect coordination with strangers. But basic teamwork? Why the hell not?

-k

You should take a closer look at Warfare missions. Playing with one or more friends using Comms, whether it be teamspeak or in game is a very fullfilling experience.

Warfare is like a large game of Chess. Using benny's version with Assasination mode.

Protect you King (the MHQ), moving it around the board and protecting it with your other pieces. Sure there are mavericks with no real idea what they are doing but in my experiance it only takes 2 who do to win the game.

You can't have your cake and eat it too!

Join a local clan/group, donate to the server. You'll find that once you're wish a group who shell out their own hard earned cash for a server, they take a special interest in it and the games they play on it.

Better yet, find a few likeminded players in your area and just play some missions together.

I think the majority of people contributing to the community and forums are team players and like minded in that sense.

I mean, that why ARMA is cool becasue its slow and tactical not a run and gun game.

Arma/OFP people yern for the low and slow approach and then ripping apart the enemy from good fire positions.

I also do favor a no respawn game with limited revives. I think Americas Army has really implemented the medic thing well. I havent used ACE but Im sure someone with good scripting could replicate what AA3 has done.

No respawn makes teamwork necessary, no one want s to peek around the corner first when you dont come back to life in 30 secs.

As far as contributions...I make SP missions, others host servers...

When I play, I play for the team , reviving, repairing, transporting.

I may not have sent a paypal to help pay for the server but in game I will do the dirty work and make it fun for all....I think every one can contribute to the Arma community and gameplay in theyre own way..

The people who have good servers should post them here.

Maybe we should all just play together on the same server :o

Edited by tractorking

Well this is more like it, constuctive and helpful ideas for the community:D

tractorking your welcome to become an admin on the community server that is now set up, it also does have a teamspeak server set up....non commital, play when you want, admin when you can. offer is open to all to who are interested, would like to get opinions on map rotations etc as well....maybe have a different map type each night, to see which is popular...