Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

AddonSync2009 (downloader, launcher)

UAC popup at start of download or start of tool? (Vista, Win7)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. UAC popup at start of download or start of tool? (Vista, Win7)

• Start of download (leave it as is)
    • Start of tool
    • What's UAC? (google Virtual Store, have fun)
    • Arf f*** UAC, first thing I disable after installing Vista/Win7

Personally I always thought YAS needed a SP tab for lauching game with mod selector, without connecting to MPgame in terms of design.

This would also be a way to "lure" more players into using it. If they use it as a simple launcher they can discover more features over time.

Ok lets step back one moment.

To me it looks you do not have the right picture here.

It is not YAS vs app XY. It is use app XY for simple mod folder launching.

YAS is for downloading/updating addons from a given game server or download server.

Or to configure a different mod sets for different servers.

In other words, YAS is server centric. What other tool is that?

So you are saying YAS should in addition non server centric?

Of course the workflow could be more obvious and straight forward,

and you are good to make suggestions here, yet failing to understand

the core difference just does not work.

So again the tool is by all means not perfect for its purpose,

yet without concrete suggestions this is going nowhere.

Btw for those that haven't seen it: i'm starting to add small usage movies to the first post.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I think this is a good suggestion. Personally I always thought YAS needed a SP tab for lauching game with mod selector, without connecting to MPgame in terms of design.

Yes this is not exactly what AddonSync is for but it would be really handy and make things easier for the average player. Especially if it can detect all the non-standard (non-BIS) folders and list them as possible mods. You can always add the mod paths manually of course.

Just tick the "local game" checkbox, and it will not connect to the server but just start the game locally with selected modset.

Let me just try to explain something about the interface:

Most of the people that don't understand it want 1 form for one task.

The problem is that if you want to give a tool the functionallity i wanted to give it, that simply doesn't work.

The basic interface is really not hard: you click or doubleclick something and a tab opens with more details.

There are valid reasons for this approach. For instance you can monitor several servers at the same time.

Edited by Yoma

@kju. Fair enough. But for me the use is also the same as app XY. I see no reason to have app XY in parallell to YAS as it can handle it.

@yoma. The movies are a great help. Learned some new stuff.

Thanks for the tool Yoma.

I've been anticipating this, and now that we have a server strong enough to host A2, I can set this up for our members.

Much appreciated:)

B

Just tick the "local game" checkbox, and it will not connect to the server but just start the game locally with selected modset.

Let me just try to explain something about the interface:

Most of the people that don't understand it want 1 form for one task.

The problem is that if you want to give a tool the functionallity i wanted to give it, that simply doesn't work.

The basic interface is really not hard: you click or doubleclick something and a tab opens with more details.

There are valid reasons for this approach. For instance you can monitor several servers at the same time.

I don't want to sound pushy because I like YAS the way it is now but what I am saying is -> You have the SP functionality in there...just make it more visable so that it can be used much easier.

Why do I have to go to "New Server" and then "Launch Game" and select mods and give them a name and save them. I cannot see what is included in that modset unless I doubleclick on it. Hope you can see where this is going.

Personally I'm not using any launcher to start Arma, I use the shortcut and modify parameters if necessary. But for your tool, just make it more accessible.

You already have 2 tabs there. Add another one for SP, make the mods selectable on the left panel. If they want they can define a modset, they can do so using what you already did. If you add a "Profile_Name" Selector, you are done..you'll have a simple yet effective SP launcher, which can also be used for MP monitoring

I know it is not exactly what this tool is for but I think if YAS is used more frequently by the clients, they will demand it from server admins which will increase the number of servers using it. ;)

You already have 2 tabs there. Add another one for SP, make the mods selectable on the left panel. If they want they can define a modset, they can do so using what you already did. If you add a "Profile_Name" Selector, you are done..you'll have a simple yet effective SP launcher, which can also be used for MP monitoring

I'm considering adding a tab "Launch Local Game" which would basically add the launch game thing in the main tab.

However I won't be changing how it basically works.

By the way when you singleclick on a modset you do see what it contains ;)

And maybe some users will find this even more confusing.

A different approach could be to have 2 servers in there by default "Local Arma2" and "Local Arma" with parameters set accordingly.

Anyway, after reading through this thread again, i think my basic approach is about to change into

-like it => use it

-don't like it => don't use it

It's impossible to cater to everyone and there are plenty of other launchers out there that might fit your needs.

Wether people want to use my tool or not is not really that important.

All i can say is good luck to those server admins and users that want to use addons online once they get more popular, let's see how userfriendly that is :-)

The main reason for opening this thread was just to inform people that the tool exists.

Edited by Yoma

I hope you didnt take my post in a bad way Yoma. I do think this tool is excellent and Im "-like it=> use it".

And there is no way to maintain a server with mods without your tool, imo.

What I been talking about is what I hear from others and my first impression, and how that could be improved to really make this tool more used. The more that uses it the easier it is for all server-admins (and players).

Regardless, you have done a very good job and Im a happy user. Thank you!

I spent a day last week dnlding eleventykazillion addons and mods.

I'm slowly setting things up with this tool, but I have a file named caa1.yas, I can't remember where it came from, much less where it is to be placed.:o

I spent a day last week dnlding eleventykazillion addons and mods.

I'm slowly setting things up with this tool, but I have a file named caa1.yas, I can't remember where it came from, much less where it is to be placed.:o

Well a .yas file is a file you can import with the tool (if you associate the windows file type .yas with my tool)

It's just a different way to import lists of servers.

The goal was to be able to put a file on your webserver and just click it, where addonsync would open up at the import server screen.

It's one of the things i would need to work out a bit better to be really usefull.

Thanks,

And I must say, you have made this about as simple as it can be.

Our group appreciates all of your work. This will be as easy as the old OFPWatch for players that get confused with addons.

Ours should be completed within the next 24 hrs. (uploading to file server atm)

Lol soon an "AddonSync Server" will be some kind of fashion item girls carry in their purse :D

Check the roadmap for changes.

I'm updating caa1 atm, nice, very nice sir.

Looking forward to the days like using OFPWatch... getting ALL mods & addons through it. ;)

Thanks for this tool, it works very well for updating Kju's CAA1 and it's easy to use :cool:

From the next version on i'll be deploying with msi setups.

The setup will place a shortcut to yas on your desktop, associate .yas filetype with the tool and automatically launch the tool.

This is to ease up the update process and ease up stuff for noobish people.

This could make the .yas thing more interesting as it will no longer be needed to manually accociate the .yas filetype.

(you can export a list of download servers from the favorites list or a single server from the server detail tab)

Basically you'll be able to put a .yas file on your website, people download the .yas file, run it and they will get the list of servers to import.

Also in the next version you'll be able to select a specific folder to download a modset to, this will be saved on a per server basis. If no folder is selected it will default to the arma(2) gamefolder.

-Mostly a quick update to see if the updater function does the trick

-Some minor enhancements.

(check the roadmap at devheaven)

Is there any chances of getting 64bit signatures to work?

What exactly do you mean? CRC64?

And if so: what exact implementation?

What does the hardlinks do exactly...

Does it create links to the original files in the Arma2 folder rather than copying them to the repository folder and creating 7z?

Also can you explain the cache a bit more? Why should we create a cache?

We have 3 dedi servers and they are in 3 different folders like Arma1, Arma2, Arma3, and they all have their own repository folder and file. Does this create any issues re cache?

great job

:wave: