Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 1 : beta patch 1.18.5278 RC (road to final) + feedback

Hi, this is not the most bugged game that i've seen, you should try the AAO 3 and then we talk; the ArmA haves bugs, many bugs, that's true... but it don't haves many bugs that unables you to play it with a reasonably enough graphic quality and still allows you to have a more relistic war like experience but, for that you need to be a scripter to make the missions look and work well even with the "yeltsin pathfinding" of the AI. The AA2 seems to have a bit better AI but that's the real king of bugs on my opinion, when i seen the "pop corn night sky" on the demo and that dirty "preternatural glowing" on every surface... then i uninstalled it and i said f*** you AA2. Let's C ya

As far as I see, this game is still the most buggy game ever.

Sorry, I ve really loved OFP, and I love ArmA, but I havent had a game with more bugs.

And the videos from the "Gamestar" Magazin, showed me that the only diference between ArmA 1.18 and Arma2 is the graphic.

The AI still doesnt deserve that "name", the physik engine is still "interesting"

It shows that you really not into it, sorry.

One thing you gotta understand that BIS games are immensely open and in that kind unique.

This openess can only be achieved by accepting a broad variety of "bugs".

Open games are consequently also open to "bugs".

"Bugs" are not really bugs in most cases ... they are just "open ends" because the game is immensely complex and - cannot by principle - foresee everything which is possible in it.

Even the developers themselves cannot execute every possible situation in it.

There are people crying "bug!" because they are hanging with a parachute in a tree and can't get out.

Sorry, the DEVs didn't check that very tree out of a thousands of trees.

But thanks to the fact that situations in BIS can vary to that amount that you can't foresee (or test!) out everything.

Go, do some "closed games" or Arcade shooters ... if you find bugs there, you really can take them for serious and blame the devs, because THEY HAD A CHANCE to erase all bugs. BIS simply don't have.

And I like them and their games for this.:bounce3:

One thing you gotta understand that BIS games are immensely open and in that kind unique.

When you just play BIS-games because of their "openess" you can also play other games like Battlefield or Joint Operiations.

I love this wide open areas too, but I prefer BIS games because of the opportunities they offer.

This openess can only be achieved by accepting a broad variety of "bugs".

Open games are consequently also open to "bugs".

I dont think so, because of games like BF etc.

But I d'accord with you if you say the opportunities in BIS games cause this bugs.

But there is no need for AIs that dont shoot at you when you in front of them. Or DC30 canons that dont rearm with an Ammo Truck next to them. Or an AI that can't board your truck because it stuck on a little AA-Pod in its way.

And dont tell me the head bug isn't a regular bug. Before V.1.14 I had many connection losses to the server. Why do I have to unflip my T72 because of a tiny little rock? The vehicle physik is really poor. In Warfare I often have the problem that I order my AI-Mates to a point on the map, and they decide to go some where else, or to "shorten" their way through water. So it tooks very long for them to reach destination and by the way they loose their gear.

Is their e need for a spinning action menue??? How often I ejected cargo or ejected my self because the menue got a new entry and my already marked one was on an other position.

Dont get me wrong, for me OFP and Arma the best games. Because in no other games I have more opportunities. But most of the mentioned bugs are really unnecessary.

When you just play BIS-games because of their "openess" you can also play other games like Battlefield or Joint Operiations.

You absolutely didn't get the point.

Let me try: Can you edit the hell out of Battlefield? Can you make and have such a variety of addons, mods, even role-playing-style missions for Battlefield? No? Oh surprise, surprise.

How was that quote, already in OFP times? "The only limit is the sky"

You absolutely didn't get the point.

I suggest you read just more of my statement as just the first sentence.

Because:

Can you edit the hell out of Battlefield? Can you make and have such a variety of addons, mods, even role-playing-style missions for Battlefield?

Is all mentioned here:

I love this wide open areas too, but I prefer BIS games because of the opportunities they offer.

What do you think about the bugs I mentioned in my previous post?

When I am finished playing Arma 1.18 and I exit to desktop I can't click on links in my internet browser. I also can't click on the browser window to shut it down. This non-functioning click button also applies to almost all open Windows (if not all). It isn't a mouse problem specifically but seems like Windows is confused which is the highlighted window.

The only way to fix it (beside a total reboot) is to choose "Log OFF" in the START menu and then "Switch User". This gets me back into Windows and working normally.

I use to have this problem with 1.14 all the time but I don't think I had it with the beta tests. For some reason it is back with 1.18. Did you guys just repackage 1.14 and release it as 1.18? :butbut:

Windows XP Pro SP3

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+

2GB RAM

Nvidia GTS 8800 320mb

Retail disk version of Arma bought in Canada.

Edited by SlipperyJim

Hey jim, I run xp sp3/2g ram/ nvidea 7950GT/ intel x86

I have no problem exiting to desk top, Then going on line, probs with task bars..

But im playing sp only as of late. Are you having this prob with either mp or sp?

You may have something else amiss in your rig that's brought on by 1.18.

When is the last time you did a OS reinstall or basic maintenance such as, defrag/compress/driver or reg clean? just trying to offer up some idea's. I can relate to how frustrating it can be when there's a prob, especially with a program you enjoy!

Ok, here are my two cents on the patch: i did play Arma for about 5 hours since i bought it, because performance on my ancient rig (P4 3.2GHz, 2GB Ram, ATi x1950pro AGP 512 MB, Win XP 32) was just too bad. I also waited for a few weeks before installing the latest 1.18 patch, because i thought a final version would come out, but i've given up on that. Now i have installed it anyway and i must say i am impressed. Even though i can't really compare it to the performance under version 1.14 because i haven't played the game for about a year, i have a strong feeling that performance is way smoother now. I even managed to finish my first mission without getting killed after 2 minutes (one of the first ones where you must clean a small town from enemies). I think this has to do with the much smoother movement of the game overall, because i didn't have any problems killing all enemies in my sights, where with all the patches before it would stutter to the point were i was getting shot at all the time and couldn't allign one shot myself. So good work on that BIS. I can now enjoy the game (after about 2 years). That said i'm using kegety's lowplants mod, so no idea how the game behaves under "normal" circumstances. But i will report back should i have the time to try it out.

Are you having this prob with either mp or sp?

I only play MP coop and it only happens after playing Arma. It is like Windows XP gets confused what application window you are trying to click on after playing Arma.

It never happened on the recent beta tests. This bug was connected with 1.14. Did they really use the beta code in the 1.18 patch or did they just re-release 1.14 but with the addon changes ;)

i have just installed 1.18 but notice the radio sounds of are so quiet I can hardly hear them.

My voice is nice and loud, but the AI sound like they are far away with radio crackle over the top.

All my sound settings are (music, effects and radio) are all set to high, but still no good.

Is any one else having this problem?

Try disabling EAX and/or hardware acceleration.

Hmm..good idea.

i'll try it out and let y'all know.

[update] yup, that worked a treat mate.

why should that happen though? huh, who cares!

I assume this will be the last patch?

Edited by stegman

Windows Vista and 7 don't like EAX, sound driver issues etc.

31 servers running 1.18RC

2 servers running 1.17

7 servers running 1.16

83 servers running 1.14

Is there ever going to be a final release of 1.18 or will this situation be permanent?

Yeah it's a shame really. At least BIS should make a statement letting people know if the latest RC patch is now definitely the last thing we'll see form Arma. That way maybe some servers will switch to the latest version. :(

yea please let's do all people playn with only a patch and all the same

imho with this result there we'll be less confusion and more player around :yay:

noone said there will be no 1.18 final for ARMA 1 ... so please patience ...

A week ago I installed this 1.18rc and after 24 hours of install I had already 3 black screens, 1 total frozen game.

Later when I made some screenshots the old fashion way.. print screen, alt tab, paste that lasted only 3 times then the game totally slowed down/major fps drop probably, that did not recover itself.

Today I'm installing the game again up to 1.17beta to have bit of fun again :bounce3:

well if you still have these crash dumps then they would be welcome ...

I have Win 7 64, and a Nvidia GTX 260 card, and had alot better luck with the 1.17 beta patch. While I am thrilled that the game is still being supported, I had some strange bugs that force me to go back to 1.17. A couple examples

1. No map available to call chopper for training mission to end - compass, GPS and watch are there, but no map. Restart mission and map is there, and mission ends, but freezed after I press continue

2. Grenades in training at target range don't work, but that never did seem to work right

3. Many freeze ups at ends of mission after pressing continue

I obviously didn't get too far, but this was too whacked out buggy to continue without extreme frustration

Maybe it's me, but now I've had similar problems on going back 1.17, do I don't think the issue is with the patch. I feel the problems may be with the training missions rather than the main game. I will post results.:butbut:

I doubt there will ever again be any word from BIS on ArmA 1. I gave up the hope already.

I have Win 7 64, and a Nvidia GTX 260 card, and had alot better luck with the 1.17 beta patch. While I am thrilled that the game is still being supported, I had some strange bugs that force me to go back to 1.17. A couple examples

1. No map available to call chopper for training mission to end - compass, GPS and watch are there, but no map. Restart mission and map is there, and mission ends, but freezed after I press continue

2. Grenades in training at target range don't work, but that never did seem to work right

3. Many freeze ups at ends of mission after pressing continue

I obviously didn't get too far, but this was too whacked out buggy to continue without extreme frustration

I just recently completed all the training missions and the campaign recently on version 1.18. I can't say I have experienced any of the problems you are having. I am on XP

The only issue I have is in Warfare, where an "options" dialog pops up on screen randomly, but that is being looked into, as Dwarden was able re-create the problem and let the appropriate people know.