Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

WarFX Particles

Im so impressed with your work OS. I will send you some distant samples you can play with tomorrow! :) This game REALLY need the distant sound-system for giving the player a far more fearsome experience. Im sooo tired of the idiotic snaps and shit. I rather hear the distant sound position instead to localize my enemy.

VBS could use a new sound system anyway...

Like Bad Company 2 - all software done.

Basically all you need is a good sample. The distance-effects are made in-game.

Like frequency cut off etc.

Choppers etc. would finally sound like real... Instead I keep hearing the stupid turbine as soon as I hear the chopper, I should not hear that! too high frequencies.

But well well... :-/ BIS is busy. I wished they got more support.

VBS could use a new sound system anyway...

Like Bad Company 2 - all software done.

Basically all you need is a good sample. The distance-effects are made in-game.

Like frequency cut off etc.

Choppers etc. would finally sound like real... Instead I keep hearing the stupid turbine as soon as I hear the chopper, I should not hear that! too high frequencies.

But well well... :-/ BIS is busy. I wished they got more support.

Well, for me it sounds really fubar with the explosion sounds like 700m away with just low frequency with the actual sound sample wich is made to be heard 5m away. Same with gun shots... It should be "pop pop pop" instead of that idiotic muffled sound.

I did a sort of lame hack where I reduce the distance of the gun sounds to around 300m, and let the HARCP mod take over using its more distant sounding gunfire. Of course, HARRP plays over the gun sound whether it's faraway or not, but since the sound of the regular gun is muted at distance, it works quite well. You can hear HARCP effects much further away.

Not ideal though, I'm waiting on the update of HARCP that makes it work on other islands. But with reduced distance of gun sounds, mixed with some good ACE sound cracks and snaps, and HARCP, all sound pretty decent.

It's bothered me since Opflash that the sounds don't "pop pop" at distance like you said Anders. If you played Halo3, they had the best idea. One set of sounds that play up close, and another set at distance which overlap somewhere in the middle. You might be able to get it sounding quite good through some kind of sound processing, but I don't think you can beat having some dedicated sounds.

sounds do sound muffled at distance though, especially if you have hills or the like in the way, but its more of a combination of the two sounds ie your pop sound.

Most people underestimate the strength of sounds over a distance. As the sound travels it looses the high end to friction as it moves, but the low end sound travels much further. A perfect example of this is say a grenade explosion. Up close its a very violent high end sound almost very hard to discribe in words exactly how it sounds (but those who have heard will know exactly what I mean) its not the typical explosion sound used in most games/films etc, over distance this sound turns from high end into a deep thud the further away you get.

99% of normal people without experience or knowledge about that sound would presume it was a legitimate "bomb" at a longer distance because the low makes it seem that way and appears the double it in scale. Wish I had saved some of my telic or range videos now :/

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

This is the best vid i can find out on the net demonstrating the high end low end sound of a grenade explosion.

Hope that is of some guide OS for your mod.

Edited by Bigpickle

I did a sort of lame hack where I reduce the distance of the gun sounds to around 300m, and let the HARCP mod take over using its more distant sounding gunfire. Of course, HARRP plays over the gun sound whether it's faraway or not, but since the sound of the regular gun is muted at distance, it works quite well. You can hear HARCP effects much further away.

Not ideal though, I'm waiting on the update of HARCP that makes it work on other islands. But with reduced distance of gun sounds, mixed with some good ACE sound cracks and snaps, and HARCP, all sound pretty decent.

It's bothered me since Opflash that the sounds don't "pop pop" at distance like you said Anders. If you played Halo3, they had the best idea. One set of sounds that play up close, and another set at distance which overlap somewhere in the middle. You might be able to get it sounding quite good through some kind of sound processing, but I don't think you can beat having some dedicated sounds.

It is interesting to note that Red Orchestra has had such a system in place for many years now. There is a close sound and a far sound. The close sound diminishes in volume until a set distance, then the far sound takes over and itself diminishes with distance until reaching the point where the sound is no longer audible.

Regarding the burning cars, afv and so on.

I get a very "fast" and "spining" fire,... looks queit strange.

Is it me who have done something wrong or is it being worked with :)

Well the current setup for the distance effects is that there are about 4-5 sounds based on the differnt distances ranging from "first person sound" ie 0m > 2500m popopopop etc.

Atm ive managed to work out a way in the sound prog to actually pull a decent distance sound effect from the actual weapon being fired off the main sound using quite a few editing tricks and EQ, this also works quite well in the way each sound fades and blends into eachother at whatever distance. It also cuts off the overwelming amount of sounds needed for each weapon/explosion and their variations for the differnt distances. The other way would be to use real recordings this worked somewhat but didnt really sound that great when mixed with other sounds from differnt sources it is also a massive task of hunting down all the distance sounds from differnt weapons hard as hell.

Regarding the burning cars, afv and so on.

I get a very "fast" and "spining" fire,... looks queit strange.

Is it me who have done something wrong or is it being worked with :)

It's been asked & answered multiple times in this thread. Use the search function.

OS, may I have permission to add your Warfx mod to my mod WarMod for Arma2?

Sure i dont see why not.

Anyway about the mod, can someone contact me whos got knowledge of extended event handlers and whatver im stuck on trying to get some scripts to work and well im confused as to why... I just spend like the whole day trying to solve this and im back to where i started from this morning. :(

Edited by Opticalsnare

Thank you very much OS.

I'm wondering if Rommel would know about the ext handlers, just someone who comes to mind atm.

Sure i dont see why not.

Anyway about the mod, can someone contact me whos got knowledge of extended event handlers and whatver im stuck on trying to get some scripts to work and well im confused as to why... I just spend like the whole day trying to solve this and im back to where i started from this morning. :(

That's not good at all! I rlly hope someone can help you! :(

Anyway about the mod, can someone contact me whos got knowledge of extended event handlers and whatver im stuck on trying to get some scripts to work and well im confused as to why... I just spend like the whole day trying to solve this and im back to where i started from this morning

You should ask sickboy or kju, they may help you.

Sure i dont see why not.

They guys that do the ACRE mod is bashing their head against A2 and extended event handlers, they might be of help. And ask for their script execution thinigie ;) its a keeper... (a running every frame instead of regular arma2 waiting).

Well my problem is that i can get both mods working together ie the particles with the weapon effects like casings and muzzleflashes and the soundmod with the distance effects all ok, BUT only on infantry weapons like rifles, machine guns. Vehicles are not working properly either particles or sounds. Its very confusing why one should work but not the other :/

This weekend is going to be the big push for trying to get this fixed, i will post some of the scripts up for review later on, so hopfully someone can work this out. Once this has been fixed everything should be ready for a good few weeks of finishing off the effects and finish off the sounds and then release.

Edited by Opticalsnare

ohh always this problems:( ...but good to hear your status,good luck mate:)

Why has BI not fixed this type of pain in the ass stuff all the way back from Arma 1. When I got OA the other day I was shocked there is still dodgy elements still in it even after patches for A2 fixed this sorta stuff, then you buy OA and its back to square one again. Numb.

Feel sorry for you OS, the frustration of modding this game shouldnt be needed to get the job done, its sad but if BIS made the engine a little more refined it would make such a simpler experience.

Well im pretty sure its something im doing wrong, im still a complete noob to the whole scripting side of things, configs no problem scripting is alot more complex to me. I can do very basic stuff thats about it.

I know how you feel. When things get too "unlogical", I dont know what to do except asking myself: "why why why doesnt it work?!!!!!!!". :( Well, I've only experienced this shit with my soundmods with config... Scripting IS another thing though. :/

So you want to make a pack with everything in it? Why not in in separate mods? Or maybe I misunderstood the whole thing. :)

Must be frustrating for you OS. I'm sure it will work eventually. I didnt even know that the muzzleflashes will be released aswell. It made my smile even bigger!! :D This is gonna a total "blast"..........................."core". :)

Why not in in separate mods?

I was thinking the same thing, have one pack with seperate mods, as long as one thing dont

have the same as another their should be no reason for something to not work versus another.