Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

WarFX Particles

yes JW...the mod is a new referenz for Arma2 and it gived here and there little bugs etc. but arma2 without WarFX without me !!! Thats it:cool:

I believe he is referring to the sparks that have been added to the rocket + missile trail's.

Yes. It is exactly what I mean. Thank you.

The problem is about zooming the rendered scene by optics. Then particles are resized also, going to be bubbles rather than sparks.

best regards

I'm sorry guys, but I can't leave you with your "wow!" and "ah!" and I have to say that almost all effects look "ugly" and "unreal". They have nothing to real world effects and particle textures are so bad (their colors and details). The speed of different particles is not correct. Where dust should grow fast there it grows slow and vice versa. Explosion from GRAD missile has a huge size. And shape of explosion is not plausible. Since start of AT missile has a very dense smoke there is no way to control AT missile during the flight and it seams useless. IMHO.

when did dust start growing? i'm no grammar nazi but when someone uses the wrong word all together...just lol, how annoying, rude and ignorant.

you must be drunk to think warfx looks worse than the vanilla explosions- infact you'd have to be a little bit retarded too.

Easy on the insults folks, try to keep this thread friendly for OpticalSnare's sake. Last thing he needs is a bunch of raging queens in his topic.

Anywho, questing regarding an effect i saw with armor. Seems every time i see a tank or apc in the game, it's billowing black smoke out the back, or at least every time i encounter russian armor. Is this due to them being damaged previously (all these encounters are not in a controlled environment, just online missions I've been playing while running the mod)?

Also I'm loving the water splashes and flying dirt particles from some of the explosives.

Ok guys ive uploaded version 1.41 which should fix a bunch of things and make some minor changes to some of the effects. Heres the link :) let me know if u find anymore problems cheers.

Changelog BETA 1.41

- Fixed invalid crew error & ctd

- Fixed Vehicle exhaust smoke

- Reduced missile smoke effects for guided missiles

- Removed missile smoke from some RPG type weapons.

- Done some optimizing and tweaking

- Added some more features

Edited by Opticalsnare

oh man thank so much ...good work:yay:

EDIT: the bullet hit dusk on the ground (from rifles) is the bettest good rework.

i found the colours from the grenade explosion in v.1.4 a lot of better ...i think it seeing smoother and realistic when a lot of more dusk colours in a explosion.its not bad kritik only a idea ;)

Thanks for your amazing work

Edited by stephsen

Amazing work, Opticalsnare - Really adds a completely new dimension to the game!

Thank you :)

I have no dust from vehicles when in fights. Can only see very long and too big/compact exhaust clouds from especially the T90. Even though the new dust trail from vehicles (tanks in this case) looks awesome i think it has to be mixed if possible with the standard ARMA2 dust wich is shown no matter whats going on in the game. In my big war there was no dust at all from the tanks as i get they got canceled due to too much particles and only thing i saw was mega super black and big exhaust clouds. I really love BIS long dust trails after vehicles. :)

Another thing noted was the awesome exploded pieces that smoke! After a vehicle goes into bits the pieces smoke for a while. That smoke is too fast animated IMO. Bit slower and it would be perfect.

Good work though OS. Bit more tweaking and even better. IMO ofcourse. ;)

Right im gonna fix that now cause thats really annoying thanks for bringing it up quickly.

Interestingly with SLX / GL4 and ACE2 when a soldier is being dragged they are kicking up dust like a huge vertical fart. Not a big problem but perhaps something to look into.

really nice beta 1.4...

...but please no smoke trails on rpg´s its simply "unreal" and the smokeless powder mixture is not at least for tactical reasons, cause if it isn´t smokeless the first is your last rocket ; )

I can tell you first hand that RPG's do have some smoke trails.....Also I think the sparks in the trails of rockets such as FFAR are decently realistic.....Being that I've seen what FFAR's look like at night....smoke and spark trail :)

I've had a quick road test of the new beta and well...

It's a champ! I really like the direction it's taking. The new beta has a lighter feel to it and the effects are less pronounced than 1.40. Sometimes, less is more:), and the particles aren't 'harvested' nearly as much as the previous beta.

I don't know why, but when I was playing it, this song popped into my head....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I really must get around to watching King Of Kong again....

Anyway, I'll get back with some proper feedback when I get some more testing done.

One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen anyone bring up yet... the dust that gets blown from a low flying chopper seems to start in a little ball of particles underneath the center of the chopper and then move outwards from there... starting all clumped up in the center just looks... wrong.

Hahah, I just wanna see the smoke curl upwards like in the last video :)

I can tell you first hand that RPG's do have some smoke trails.....Also I think the sparks in the trails of rockets such as FFAR are decently realistic.....Being that I've seen what FFAR's look like at night....smoke and spark trail :)

Key word: Night.

Somehow after explosions the fire and smoke starts flickering like in a fast time compression. The black and the grey smoke could need some more tuning and somekind of better transitions. Now it looks too rough and sometimes a bit cartoonish.

Didnt look at the blood spray but in the previous beta it was overdone.

The biggest problem ive always faced is that making explosions and smoke act realistic is a very hard task to do in this engine as there are limits on what it can and cant do. Ive found that if use scripted events such as the smoketrails these cause some extreme slowdowns if used extensivly as was known in 1.3, and that the more particles you use can cause the cutoff of other particles such as burning smoke and other effects currently being used. I did try and use animated texture files which can work well using a third party particle program but theres a big problem as bigger the size of the actual particle effect the location of the effects moves from its supposed postion and looks generally looks wrong, when u look at them from a angle view. It also changes size based on distance from the player such as when u see a explosion closeup its a small flash or something but at a distance its somehow gotten bigger, these are just some of the problems i have to face with.

So i hope you understand now that theres alot more to this than saying "this anit realistic...." i would seriously love to make the explosions and smoke as realistic as possible. But at the end of the day, the engine just is not capable of doing that. Sure theres going to be improvements to the effects in future releases but its sometimes such a epic task for myself to get the effect perfect, sometimes its just frustrating, pull your hair out and annoying that it just dont look the way it should or you want it to.

Anyway thats my say on the matter, hope this makes peoples views on the mod more understanding. :)

Edited by Opticalsnare

OS, I understand there's a of "realism vs hollywood" and similar talking around. I don't want step in the middle of it to name what's constructive and what's not..

I am going to be a little more direct, sort of reverse-engineering some of the perspective: we just played a couple hours with your latest WarFxParticles coupled with the latest HiFi.

Jaw dropping fun, the way both audio and video effects blend into each other makes me once again say that you, guys, are excellent at what you do.

This is 30% more ArmA 2 experience with just 2 mods added, not to mention the amount of excellent mods in addition to these two I just named.

Congratulations, I know I speak for my entire gaming group when I write this. I know you will further improve it and fix stuff - but if the world ended here and the aliens would find my computer in working state and have a go at ArmA 2 set up this way, they'd be in for serious stuff!

*clapclapclap*

Just tested the HE ammo on vehicles at night and i really - really love the bright flash it creates. Love to see those flashes in forests as they lit up the surroundings and it looks spectacular. Great job OS.

I have a suggestion though on this effect. How about (if possible ofcourse) making that flash fade out instead of the instant flash it is now. Im still on your side with that it should be a fast flash so im not suggesting some slow fade, but a very fast fade. I just think it would make that flash look even more spectacular. However its just a suggestion and its great as it is right now.

Keep the good work up. Its very appreciated. :thumb:

I know im being a lazy arse ... but there was talk about smoke issues with JTD and ACE or something for this .. can anyone point me in the right direction to make sure I do things right so I have no issues? This is a big thread and, im not actually at home to take time to search (yeh I know, its bad of me). Or PM me to save clogging thread with repeats.