Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

WarFX Particles

Well, thats why I say, for WarFX, LET THE HOLLYWOOD ROLL!!!!! :) Turn up the explosions, turn up the dust clouds, turn up the splashes, turn up the sparks, lengthen the tracers, lets aim for FX that rivals HOLLYWOOD!!! :) GO OS GO!!!

Hardcore FX lovers like me wants nothing less than 50 megs of muzzle flash, AM I RIGHT FANS??? :)

I love the WarFX series and use them all the time, Particles and Tracers, so I say: Hell yeah. Bring on the 50Mb Muzzle flashes I'll definately use them.

SD

Lets wait and see what Opticalsnare is creating.

No need to start a discussion/flamewar about different taste and opinions. Of course Arma2 is labeled as "ultimate military simulation" - so its BIS/publisher fault if they take the wrong words for public relations. ;)

@norailgunner, mods are mods cos they don't necessarily adhere to the "ultimate military simulation" motto, right? hehehe.. check out the Star Wars mod and the Crusader mod... are they "military simulations"? :) Mods allows people to do whatever they want to with the platform. The "Ultimate Military Simulation" probably refers only to the Red Harvest Campaign. :)

@OS, please correct me if my understanding of the direction and purpose of WarFX is wrong. :)

@norailgunner, mods are mods cos they don't necessarily adhere to the "ultimate military simulation" motto, right? hehehe.. check out the Star Wars mod and the Crusader mod... are they "military simulations"? :) Mods allows people to do whatever they want to with the platform. The "Ultimate Military Simulation" probably refers only to the Red Harvest Campaign. :)

There's actually people around here that would like to use WarFX without it going overboard with everything ;)

Look at it this way, anyone looking for non-Hollywood effects, shouldn't be looking at WarFX. :) Its FX we are talking about here for goodness sake! :)

As a matter of fact, those of you who wants 100% realistic effects should even turn off Default BI effects cos even default BIS effects are more "Hollywood" than real life if you are an experienced soldier like me. There isn't always vehicles burning after being destroyed in real life, there isn't even visible muzzle flash during the day in real life, soldiers with RPGs are not tank busters in real life (in fact, they hardly hurt up armored humvees!), grenades leave nothing but a small puff of smoke when exploded (sometimes you don't even see it), gun sounds are uninteresting loud pops..... are you sure that's how you want the game to be? ;)

Hehe, good points jasonnoguchi.

The FX might be somewhat 'enhanced' but I wouldn't say over the top. War Impressionism only enhances the feeling of all of my senses running in a state of high alert as long as the gameplay is realistic and not arcadey (which it ain't for the most part).

as long as the gameplay is realistic and not arcadey (which it ain't for the most part).

Ofcourse it ain't!! :D Bring on the beauty!

I just tried the latest version of WarFX and I got to admit... it looks damn good but I'll wait to see what the next version will do to muzzle flashes. I just hope it not as bad as I'm thinking it might be.

Well in due time i might make two versions one which is based on big sparks and all the fancy stuff and the other which will be toned down a bit, so it can appeal to those who dont want it too much. :)

Very happy indeed although I don't demand 2 versions at all.. I know any of those would be a pleasure for my and other's eyes...

I only wish the impacts and explosions would look as good from the air.

When flying above and shooting the gun from the apache, the warfx impacts (brown dust clouds) dont look as good as the default impacts (the grey dust clouds). And also from the air, the default hellfire impact looks better than the warfx impact as well. With the warfx impact from the hellfire, there is a real unnatural circle of dust going from the explosion.

You can see the default gun impacts in this video at 45secs.

And default hellfire impacts after 2:30min.

h7-G2nef2u8

At other parts in the video you can see the big WARFX explosions, they look good from the air ;)

Edited by rd2030

Can you lower the casing from the Tunguska?

here (at 4:25) is bit better angle and nicer detail on the ejection ports ...

p226LLsLq1o#t=4m25s

Thanks thats a good one, ive managed to add the fire coming out of the ejection ports is well :D

Il have to upload a video soon showing off a more up2date of what ive done so far.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Thanks thats a good one, ive managed to add the fire coming out of the ejection ports is well :D

Il have to upload a video soon showing off a more up2date of what ive done so far.

Yep, u sure have to. :D *waiting patiently*

Opticalsnare you're like a fucking freight train!

Smashing through any obstacle and delivering the goods in perfect condition ;)

@Opticalsnare:

Could you also add more dust for moving vehicles?

More like transparent.

Tino

Flames coming out of the ejection ports as seen in video will make game more and more EPIC... over epic...

Seriously cant wait for the video to show up :p

Can't wait for the next version, it looks and sounds awesome.

My suggestions are:

Change the dust created when rounds hit metal into light grey smoke (ala vanilla) or simply reduce the sheer quantity of it that is created - you can virtually create a smoke screen just by shooting the side of a vehicle with any automatic weapon. On the subject of the fire, stick with the vanilla fire (allowing other modifications that affect fire to easily take priority). Generally the thicker, bulkier, orange-red fire suits a burning vehicle better.

And finally the various tank's HEAT round's explosions. The WP-like smoke tendrils are nice but they look out of place because they are not found on any other explosions (other than WP). There is a definite FPS hit from this specific detonation effect too.

I'm looking forward to seeing some changing muzzle flashes. BIS has a good system for the muzzle flash, but it is outdated. Just make sure they are barely visible in the daytime, otherwise you'll be fixing the one aesthetic issue with BIS' work, and introducing another :P

Cheers,

Frohman

Everything you have just asked has already been disscussed and answered.

so to break it down

1. Already done long time ago

2. I like the fire, so no its not getting changed

3. I like the smoke trails that get shot up thats why i added them, and the slowdown has been resolved.

4. MuzzleFlashes are visible in daytime atm, i havnt found a way to make them not that visible in daytime and only seen most during nighttime. Its either visible or not visible, sure i will see if i can do something about it but its not something im going to stress over atm.

Edited by Opticalsnare