Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

Tracer Effects

Yeh sure if you unpbo the .pbo and open the config.cpp

Then in the ammo class where it says

model = "TracersWAR\Data\bullettracer\tracer_red";

Just change the the red bit to green on whatever weapon you would like to change.

Im ok with any config editing and releasing custom configs. :)

Hi, could you do an Armed Assault version too?, they look much better than the 6Th Sense

tracers that i've been using since their release, but your tracers look much better, i'll like

to have 'em on the Armed Assault if it were possible. Let's C ya

It looks like Pistolfied's modification of tracer sequences does not become active with this mod.

That would be a great addition to this one! I prefer turning tracers on for most of the rifles.

I agree with the rifle point. Excessive tracers do make the game prettier.

Now that is one tough choice with regards to which mod to go with :eek:

Vihicle tracers are the best in seen in any game IMHO, but I absolutely love pistolified's tracer effects for small arms as well.

hi opticalsnare, this is a really nice addon along with your other effects pack, makes for some nice night fights.

however as mentioned above regarding the tracers' colors, I think it would be good for "realism's sake" to switch back to the BIS colors in your addon officially, without the need for users to have to edit configs. US weps=red, Eastern weps=green.

A tracer projectile is constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material, often made of phosphorus or magnesium or other bright burning chemicals. In US and NATO standard ammunition, this is usually a mixture of strontium compounds (nitrate, peroxide,...) and a metal fuel such as magnesium. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates green light using barium salts. Some modern designs use compositions that produce little to no visible light and radiate mainly in infrared, being visible only on night vision equipment.

of course it's totally up to you, but I think it makes more sense this way ;)

I´d love to see a possibility to switch quick ingame between tracer ammunition for night fights and non tracer ammo for day fights, as it is used to in real life too :)

Let me just say that these tracers look good! I downloaded the WarFX addon too and boy oh boy, night fights are out of this world!!!

Yeah, the addon that has just a few tracer rounds at the end of a magazine to let you know that you're about to run out is a good idea, but I don't like the idea of having magazines full of tracers for assault rifles (and sniper rifles and SMGs) in the daytime.

It might be pretty, but it isn't realistic.

If you want pretty, play Crysis. If you want a realistic warfare sim, that is what ArmA aims to be.

Of course, tracers for SAWs, LMGs and HMGs (1 tracer every 3 or 4 rounds?) and AA (full tracers?) is just fine.

If you want pretty, play Crysis. If you want a realistic warfare sim, that is what ArmA aims to be.

What ever dude, theres alot of things that aren't realistic in the game like tanks getting airborne going over bumps, or not being able to limp to cover or anywhere when shot but still able to fire your weapon, or being revived and fighting on after taking 2 to the chest? etc etc...

if you want true realism then have someone whack you with a stick each time you get shot!? and throw dirt in your face every now and then, turn the fan on when your in a helo!? or.... dont use the mod

who cares man, it feels more emersive... and as far as im concerned, more fun :)

arma is still for gamers last i heard, maybe you should look at VBS2 for real soldiers?

What ever dude, theres alot of things that aren't realistic in the game like tanks getting airborne going over bumps, or not being able to limp to cover or anywhere when shot but still able to fire your weapon, or being revived and fighting on after taking 2 to the chest? etc etc...

?

That doesn't justifice adding more unrealistic to the game just because there's already some! (i'm talking in general, i like this mod)

Yeah, the addon that has just a few tracer rounds at the end of a magazine to let you know that you're about to run out is a good idea, but I don't like the idea of having magazines full of tracers for assault rifles (and sniper rifles and SMGs) in the daytime.

It might be pretty, but it isn't realistic.

Of course, tracers for SAWs, LMGs and HMGs (1 tracer every 3 or 4 rounds?) and AA (full tracers?) is just fine.

Why is it unrealistic? As long as tracer itself looks realistic it's all good. Ive loaded C7 with tracer ammo before, it makes the shoots way more fun.

Again, it's just another immersion point, that doesn't harm the overall experience if it is overdone. We don't have the ability to utilize all 6 senses behind the computer screen, so if some "gamey" compromises are made IMHO it's completely OK and even welcomed (as long s it it feels realistic)

Why is it unrealistic? As long as tracer itself looks realistic it's all good. Ive loaded C7 with tracer ammo before, it makes the shoots way more fun.

Again, it's just another immersion point, that doesn't harm the overall experience if it is overdone. We don't have the ability to utilize all 6 senses behind the computer screen, so if some "gamey" compromises are made IMHO it's completely OK and even welcomed (as long s it it feels realistic)

Exactly.

Some of us just like tracers, so allow us to enable or diable them to our liking. :bounce3:

That doesn't justifice adding more unrealistic to the game just because there's already some! (i'm talking in general, i like this mod)

Yes, I agree with you, half the charm of the game for me is its sense of realism... but these are just mods that anyone can choose to use or not to use? this is the beauty of the game for me, i can customize my own battle scenes exactly how i want them with what ever mods i like and jump right in:D

Amen

I don't have a problem with releasing a version for kids looking for "fun", but for those of us who are long-time fans of this franchise, BECAUSE of its realism, I want a version that is faithful to real military standard operating procedure.

For those of you who weren't around in those days, the first public demo for OFP made the player feel like a clumsy, vulnerable and exposed infantryman, just as it is in real-life. No other shooter (tactical or otherwise) had yet done so. (Well, maybe SEAL Team, but that wasn't a first-person shooter in the truest sense.)

So yeah, there is always more room for realism in this sim.

Realism offers its own beauty.

As I said, if you just want "pretty", then you might want to check out Xigmatek's work on Crysis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ9csjAf7w0

...though he has been working on a very nice JDAM effect, lately.

I don't have a problem with releasing a version for kids looking for "fun", but for those of us who are long-time fans of this franchise, BECAUSE of its realism, I want a version that is faithful to real military standard operating procedure.

For those of you who weren't around in those days, the first public demo for OFP made the player feel like a clumsy, vulnerable and exposed infantryman, just as it is in real-life. No other shooter (tactical or otherwise) had yet done so. (Well, maybe SEAL Team, but that wasn't a first-person shooter in the truest sense.)

As I said, if you just want "pretty", then you might want to check out Xigmatek's work on Crysis...

Sweet as, im a 42 year old "Kid" looking for fun :yay:... yep i remember the original OFP all those years ago, and the feeling i got from it and subsequent releases, i didnt feel clumsy at all, i felt free, ok slightly clumsy... but free:p

I love the feeling of realism in this game, but i dont feel the need to be all elitist and condescending towards other people about it though! calling people kids!? ... and suggest people might want to look at other games etc, i mean.. who are you?

Kids? That's rich...

first of all, just like @ your warfx release, good job soldier and

thank-you.jpg

thx 4 your sweat, work and spend free time to release this cool stuff opticalsnare! much appreciated!

Yes, I agree with you, half the charm of the game for me is its sense of realism... but these are just mods that anyone can choose to use or not to use? this is the beauty of the game for me, i can customize my own battle scenes exactly how i want them with what ever mods i like and jump right in:D Amen

once it's clientsided, it's a good idea to set the option for everybody to choose his favorite colours. think like that everyone can get happy and set up his own favoured colour. but i do think, it might come to a problem if u finally create the serverkeys, so that we can run or allow this on public servers. correct me, or u guyz, if i'm wrong, but mustn't the pbo's be signed new again, after someone edits them!?!? in that case one would have a different file and a different key again, than the one you will have created opticalsnare, hopefully before u hit back to your job *caugh* hehee. wouldnt it be better to give the option in a "other", seperate file, so the pbo stays untouched and fits to the serverkey?!!? i'm still quiet a noob @ editing/scripting/modding/mission making @ arma compared to guyz like u, xeno, kju, norrin, maddmatt, markXIII and all the others i didnt mention now, sorry, so i'd be really interested, how this optional changing of tracer colours can actually hit the servers, that only allow signed mod/addons!?! for sure, i could set up a key for our clan'n community to play public on our server, once we only allow signed mods'n addons, but i think there are way, way, way a lot ppl out there, that would like to play public with your mods'n addons on servers out there, that only allow bisigned mods'n addons.

just a thought and my 50 cents

again thx for your work and gn8 @ll

ps:

OpticalSnare:

Make them into "light sources" so they lit up everything they pass close to.

having that sometime in the future would just rock

Edited by Chaostika7-17th

having that sometime in the future would just rock

Yeah. Hopefully with ACE2. We had them years ago and i really thaught BIS would make them lit up in ARMA2 as they went for the VBS2 tracers. That they dont lit the environment is weird i think.

IF you make the tracers definable by colours bby the user, please have the real life colour as default.

Is this compatible with Pistolfields addon? I want all my weapons firing tracers

What if you make one realistic version and one fun version or a userconfig *.hpp file? There is a reason why tracer rounds are used in combat and a good reason why not.

Imho such things should be implemented/restricted by mission maker too.

These tracers just for original AMRA2 weapon or could be for other Mods installed?

These tracers just for original AMRA2 weapon or could be for other Mods installed?

If that weapons uses default ArmA2 magazines. Then yes they will work. However, if they use a magazine that is defined with that addon. No. Unless of course he changes it.

Downloaded it a few days back and it doesn't work somehow ..... It work for a bit and then stopped 8S. Does is need any other mods installed or does it have incompatibility issues with other mods? (I have WarFX Particles and VopSound installed atm)...

Any tips?