Sign in to follow this  
AnimalMother92

Change plane type for SOM airstrike

Hi all,

I know how to do airstrikes just fine via the SOM and tactical airstrike function, however I have a question...

How can I change the plane type from two AV8Bs to say one A10 or three F35s etc?

Thanks!

Hopefully one of the Devs will chime in here. I've been wondering this as well. Same with changing air supply options.

Does anyone have any clue how to do this or if this is even possible? I'd like to change the airstrike plane. Actually I'd like to set this up in a mission using some units I'm beta testing.(Independent side) I'd like to use one of the planes in this mod. Same with the air drop, I'd like to use one of the heli's included in the mod.

Sorry for bringing this up again but does anyone have any clue how to do this? I'm dying to find out if/how to change the vehicles/units/ammo crates that are used in the SOM support options. Can we get a dev to chime in please. Many of us have been asking about this since the day A2 was released and I've yet to see if it's even possible not to mention how to do it if it is. These SOM options are useless in many missions if you can't designate what spawns for the support options. I'm trying to make a mission/campaign using something other then the stock A2 stuff so when a MV22 drops US ammo crates for PLA troops it's just silly.

There's got to be a way to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

In looking at the airstrike sqf here:

http://dev-heaven.net/repositories/entry/cmb/scripts/A2/unformatted/ca/missions/som/data/scripts/secops/tactical_airstrike/07_create_secop_assets.sqf

I'm not sure you can change the aircraft type - at least not easily.

//Create the flight of 2 aircraft.
private ["_type", "_tgtType", "_bombType"];
_tgtType = "LaserTargetWStatic";
_type = "AV8B";
_bombType = "BombLauncher";
if ((faction _leader) == "CDF") then 
{
_type = "Su25_CDF";
_bombType = "AirBombLauncher";
} 
else 
{
private ["_rdm"];
_rdm = random 1;
if ((_rdm >= 0.3) && (_rdm < 0.6)) then 
{
	_type = "A10";
	_bombType = "BombLauncherA10";
} 
else 
{
	if (_rdm >= 0.6) then 
	{
		_type = "F35B";
		_bombType = "BombLauncherF35";
	};
};
};

if (_side == east) then 
{
_tgtType = "LaserTargetEStatic";
_type = "Su34";
_bombType = "BombLauncher";

if ((faction _leader) == "INS") then 
{
	_type = "Su25_Ins";
	_bombType = "AirBombLauncher";
} 
else 
{
	private ["_rdm"];
	_rdm = random 1;
	if ((_rdm >= 0.3) && (_rdm < 0.6)) then 
	{
		_type = "Su34";
		_bombType = "Ch29Launcher_Su34";
	} 
	else 
	{
		if (_rdm >= 0.6) then 
		{
			_type = "Su39";
			_bombType = "Ch29Launcher";
		};
	};
};
};

To my untrained eye, the variable for the type of aircraft is local to the script, as opposed to the squadron variable which is global.

//Create a group for the squadron.
private ["_grp"];
_grp = createGroup _side;
[_grp, 1, _id, _mainScope] call BIS_SOM_addDynFunc;
_scope setVariable ["squadron", _grp];

But, that does leave open the possibility of some more advanced scriptology....

Perhaps, you can do something like this untested and n00bish coding.... once you have the BIS SOM mainscope (which I can't sort out how to achieve):

_CASgroup = BIS_SOM_mainscope getVariable "squadron";

Yes, that "BIS_SOM_mainscope" is a complete wild assed guess on my part.

BUT, if you can sort out what the squadron is, you can theoretically remove/change the units assigned to it. Now, you'd also then have to assign the eventhandler and other stuff that SOM function does.

T'would be cleaner, naturally, for them to make it a variable like the transport.

dudez, why not getpos the airplane and like, load a normal airstrike or even script out another airstrike from the exact location of the old air craft. assuming manzilla knows how to use the normal airstrike scripts, triggers should suffice for this. I dont think you can change the airstrike type either, but you can at least spawn another type of mission on top of the vehicle you want to delete or add etc...

what the player can't see wont hurt him right?

Hmmm. Not sure exactly what you mean. I'm a bit shocked that BIS would make these great options without the ability to change stuff like this. I wonder how's responsible for that idea. ;)

That's a damn shame. Especially if it's the case for all the SOM support options.

Well, the other SOM support modules I looked at (primarily arty and transport) do allow you to change things up. In fact, arty is VERY flexible.

I, too, am surprised, though. The only thing I can think of, though, is that they wanted to make sure the spawned a/c had the LGBs, since the idea is to have the player lase a target. Would be awkward to spawn an a/c that couldn't complete the mission....

Yes, my apologies. The Arty and Transport are very flexible. I'm really surprise we cant do the same setup for the CAS option. Like physically placing an A10 or AH1Z on the map and be able to call it to come lend a hand. Exactly like I do with the UH1Y for the transport option.

Interresting question. I think we need more infos about this module. I mean the possibility of changes (like set up number of calls or change units and other things ...)

Yep, this and ACM... ive searched hard and asked similar questions but no joy, i dream of an editor that lets us customize the modules :rolleyes:

I know that this thread is ancient. I know §10 of the forum rules states: "Do not dig up old threads".

But I have good reason to bump this.

I have looked for months, literally months and have not been able to find any other threads on the BIS forums, Armaholic forums, or the sort precisely relating to this topic.

I would really like to be given closure on whether or not there is in fact a simple way to replace the airstrike units in the SOM with placed units, as you can do with artillery and transport options.

A simple yes or no from a reliable editor/player will mean the world, and allow me to sleep at night (okay not really, but this is important to me).

If I really should have started a new thread for this issue, I apologize, but this is still on topic so I feel no need to create a new thread. The previous replies might still help others if there is no other solution.

From Post#5 here by DnA:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?73329-Secondary-Ops-Manager-Module-Discussion&p=1294555&viewfull=1#post1294555

my understanding is that you can create your own SOM missions, which I've never done, but in the SOM "secops" folder are 14 scripts providing template and you put your custom info where they say "//Your phase content goes here:".

So you would copy the airstrike scripts over and change the aircraft types, use them as a custom SecOps mission. That's my understanding anyway, could be wrong.

That's actually quite helpful, Opus. I'm not sure if you're right about that or not but it's certainly worth a shot.

I wish the wiki gave more documentation on these kind of scripts and alternative code for the SOM.

I would explore the requestSecOps.sqf as the first likely candidate for introducing custom to SOM. The description reads:

File: requestSecOp.sqf
Author: Joris-Jan van 't Land

Description:
Function allowing designers to request a specific SecOp to be started.
The SecOp can be started immediately with high priority or wait for the next available opportunity.
It is also possible to [b][u]pass along certain specific parameters[/u][/b] and [b][u]even[/u][/b]
[b][u]to replace complete phase-scripts[/u][/b].

Parameter(s):
_this select 0: name of the SecOp (String)
_this select 1: is this a high-priority request? (Boolean)
_this select 2: SOM main scope reference (Object)
_this select 2: (optional) parameters (Array)
_this select 3: (optional) phase-script paths (Array)

EDIT: (Side comment): I found this stuff out debugging a Warfare mission. Turns out Warfare calls on SOM but never assigned and synched SOM to players, so when "mainscope" was called nothing was there. And when a SOM module in map was synchronized to the player, Warfare didn't wait for the SOM to initialize. I used a custom Warfare script to assign & synch a SOM to each player, wait for SOM init, and now SOM plays nice with Warfare. But to learn all this I had to go searching through the SOM scripts.

--- Final Edit --

The solution was found and has been posted.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?73329-Secondary-Ops-Manager-Module-Discussion&p=2784950&viewfull=1#post2784950

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?73329-Secondary-Ops-Manager-Module-Discussion&p=2788974&viewfull=1#post2788974

Objects and Units created by SOM can be changed, and any of the phase scripts can be replaced with scripts in the mission folder.

Edited by OpusFmSPol
adding the links