Sign in to follow this  
rocket

Opinions Wanted : Map Resolution?

Which do you value more, resolution or area?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you value more, resolution or area?

• Resolution (10m Heightpoints, 40km terrain)
    • Area (20m Heightpoints, 80km terrain)

What are peoples thoughts on map resolution? I'm well into a project and I'd like some feedback from everyone regarding what they value more:

- Heightpoint resolution; or

- Distance

what type of terrain will it be? a 40km is pretty damn big. my skarikiska island is 20km with 10 meter cells

Edited by rstratton

It depends on his Source Data resolution, his imagery has to be < 1m px with a decent 5m or 10m DEM for the terrain to class as 'High Resolution' this is ok if you are doing an Area in the US. But for Say Afghanistan or Pakistan, generally it is alot harder to find decent source data for free. I personally would like to see a nice high-res small scale high fidelity map that corellates to a real world location.

I've decided to go with 7.5m heightmap, and 1.25m resolution satellite map. I'm halving the scale (originally 15m resolution as a comprimise) because its just too big in ArmA2. I found that without being able to see the mountains in the distance, the effect was lost, and also the mountains were too high for effective helicopter use etc... Anyone aware of any problems with my chosen resolutions?

I cant go to 1m because of filesize limits on PNGs in photoshop :S

Edited by Rocket

Talking about height, i have some realy heigh mountains like 1200 meter heigh and the picture in the background(the horizon mountains from BIS) starts to look weird like being on the roof of the sky. Gonna check into that also (one day as i start to get buried in work).

So would increasing the heightmap tend to offset my terrain looking stretched/flattened when forced to increase texture resolution? (when compared to l3dt?)

So would increasing the heightmap tend to offset my terrain looking stretched/flattened when forced to increase texture resolution? (when compared to l3dt?)

Huh? When you increase heightmap in all directions there is no difference expect for details. Remember there is no futher detail then 1 pixel.

Teh other question i also dont get at all. What you mean? You are afraid your terrain looks strethced compared to l3DT when you increase texture resoltuion ???????