Sign in to follow this  
st!gar

Is Harvest Red playable, now?

Heya. I'm not entirely sure if I should have posted this in the "Official Missions"-section, but since this wasn't about one particular mission, but rather the campaign as a whole, I decided to post it here.

So; is the campaign "playable", yet? I mean that in a broad sense. As in "Should I finally want to play the campaign, or will it still be bugged and broken beyond belief?".

I'm not entirely sure to what extent the patches and beta patches has improved the campaign experience, because I haven't dared trying it since the last time around.

I have, however, tried a number of Single Mission scenarios, and found some of them to be full of scripting errors still. In particular, the Russian Scenario mission called "Counterattack", where you are supposed to break through a CDF siege and help out a Chedaki unit that is being surrounded constantly messes up its scripting, it almost being random if the different scripts decides to get triggered or not. It's hardly in a playable state.

I am aware that there has been improvements to Red Harvest, but I don't really know to what extent they have helped. I really, really would love to be able to play this game in Co-op, but as it stands now, I'm not entirely sure if the gameplay experience will be good enough for me to warrant an attempt.

Thanks in advance. This game would be the best game ever, had it only worked... :(

Edited by St!gar

I restarted the campaign for 1.04 and played straight through and only encountered one issue, which was in Dogs of War and it was avoidable. Basically the chopper problem hasn't been fixed yet, in that if you board a chopper and tell them to fly to a location directly past a tree line they'll start flying that way before getting enough air and they'll crash into the tree line.

But that's not really a campaign issue, more of a gameplay AI mechanic issue.

Campaign is awesome, really nice story line and objectives aren't just straight up boring stuff, events occur during the duration that you can choose to pursue or not. A1. Some bugs but, sometimes frustrating but worth it when it works. :D

You might be alright single-player, but in my experience, co-op is unplayable. Desync on load is killer. This is a big deal because each mission is very long, so unless you feel happy basically having no checkpoints, I'd avoid it.

Let me give you an example. This is in the mission called "Manhattan", I am playing with three players. I will try to avoid spoilers.

One of the objectives is to take a civilian to be picked up by a chopper. We get the civilian to the evac point and the chopper crashes. We load the last checkpoint, and after driving for a few minutes, it's clear we're totally out of sync. So we start again. This time the chopper lands safely, but the NPC refuses to board the chopper. We load the checkpoint and, surprise surprise, we're out of sync again within minutes.

forget it all is not good, i have been getting into the campaign but manhatton is bugged to hell. Why cant they sort it out!! And they expect us to buy the new addon?? What for bugs, I can get them for free at the bottom of my garden! They are just to many other good games out their to get less stressed about.

forget it all is not good, i have been getting into the campaign but manhatton is bugged to hell. Why cant they sort it out!! And they expect us to buy the new addon?? What for bugs, I can get them for free at the bottom of my garden! They are just to many other good games out their to get less stressed about.

I just came across this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86773

All the enthusiasm I just had is now dead. Pretty much sounds like the usual fare to me. :icon_sad:

I find it weird that there's a thread on the front page discussing in detail just how fucked-up certain Campaign mission(s) are, yet in this thread, people reported having seen either few serious bugs/scripting errors, or none at all. What is it with you guys? Are the people who swear they practically haven't seen a single serious error throughout the campaign just extraordinarily fortunate, or is this a some kind of hardware thing, perhaps? Or did they just play the mission(s) in a manner different to the others?

I swear; the more I read these threads, the more it sounds like there are two different versions of the game out... are everyone sure they have the latest version? :confused:

Edited by St!gar

Im loving the game but havent bothered with the campaign any further than manhattan, i'd like to complete it but when I arrest that woman & get told to take her for extraction, I get to the LZ, 2 UAZ's full of enemies approach so I kill them, then nothing happens!no chopper for extraction or anything & ive waited there for half an hour (went off to make a cup of tea & everything!) has this been fixed or am I doing something wrong? its like a trigger is missing or something :confused:

Im loving the game but havent bothered with the campaign any further than manhattan, i'd like to complete it but when I arrest that woman & get told to take her for extraction, I get to the LZ, 2 UAZ's full of enemies approach so I kill them, then nothing happens!no chopper for extraction or anything & ive waited there for half an hour (went off to make a cup of tea & everything!) has this been fixed or am I doing something wrong? its like a trigger is missing or something :confused:

Happened to me as well, I ended up shooting the woman and failing the task:(

"Im out ot turn with gaming news but i played OFP 1 for 5 years - only after getting that arcada crap of dragon rising did i hear about arma II and i felt like playing OFP1 again and it felt good . Many ppl complain about bug with the game but i donot get that impresion at all - It is RL simulator - Why would insurgent leader always be at the same camp and not try to run away ? Why would wep smugglers be easy to find ? it makes more sense not to find them at all ..."

To quote myself XD .

It is definitly playable ( and do to the certain problems i only use 1,2something patch . And if you want RL feeling to the game - this is the game you will play . By now i noticed they put lots of triggers inside so most of problematic parts of big missions are solvable by them self .

Btw did you take a good look at extraction zone? It is on the flight plan over the mountains full of enemy soldiers ( last time i played i found 2 camps+ ambush site specially for that mission there ) and infront of main Chedaki camp that is equipped with portable earth-air wep and radar system .

there are not two different versions of the game.

there are two different versions of players.

those that have the patience for a real-world military sim, and those that do not.

I like Real-World Military Sims, so the campaign is certainly playable and an unreal experience.

I'm on Dogs of War. I have encountered bugs throughout, but 1.04 cleaned up many of them.

The campaign, from my experience, is entirely playable Single-Player or Multi-player. It works fine. But it is intended to be played as Single-Player or ALL Human players. 4 human players or 1 human player.

If you go 2 Human Players coupled with 2 AI players in the group of Cooper, Rodriguez, Sykes, etc, there will be many more issues.

Really, it's all about patience. For instance, if something is on the ground in ARMA2 or there is a ladder --- in many cases you must point the cursor at this item and move around a bit until it appears within your action menu.

Some would say, "that's broken, I can't do it.". Others would say, "if you move around a little bit, it will work". Depends which one you are.

those that have the patience for a real-world military sim, and those that do not.

Or, in my case, people who want functioning gameplay the way that was intended, and who refuses go around making excuses for the game, as if the bugs were intentionally put there by the devs in order to make the game more "realistic", or some nonsense like that. I mean no offense to you, sweep; thanks for your reply and all, (I particularly found the details on co-op very informative.), but that kind of thing just rubs me the wrong way. :plain:

Edited by St!gar

beside one time i have to reload cause 1 event does not trigger properly (mission 2) i finished the campaign recently without any problem.

Or, in my case, people who want functioning gameplay the way that was intended, and who refuses go around making excuses for the game, as if the bugs were intentionally put there by the devs in order to make the game more "realistic", or some nonsense like that. I mean no offense to you, sweep; thanks for your reply and all, (I particularly found the details on co-op very informative.), but that kind of thing just rubs me the wrong way. :plain:

no worries, poorly written post on my part.

There are DEFINITELY tons of glitches. But for me they don't rub me the wrong way because of the pay off that comes with playing through them.

If the game, when running smoothly, was not far superior to any other games I could be playing....I wouldn't support it and or make posts like that.

Reloading saved games is a problem within the campaign. Should you start within a mission from a saved point, you will have vastly more issues then had you played straight through without saves.

If you want to fully experience the campaign without glitches......complete it without dying once. If you die, start that level over.

That's the way I have been playing it and have essentially zero problems. If I played where death was acceptable or reloaded from various spots, then it would be much, much more difficult to complete.

Playing with one life removes the glitches, and makes each level much more difficult; which increases the playability and enjoyment time.

I have the problem of arresting the woman at church and, waited for 30 minutes but nothing happended, in the end shot the woman and failed the mission, can anyone give us a clue

Edited by 5322

Are you sure it is the right women? I met some similar looking woman near some church and she started chatting about some stuff from the past to me. I finally encountered the right women elsewhere, by accident.

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

Thread locked.