Sign in to follow this  
archbishop lazarus

Too many vertices problem

I desperately need help. :(

I have just finished a model, but the game cant load it. It says "Too many vertices".

The model has 20111 points and 15794 faces, mainly quads. I thought that if I reduce the polycount it solves the problem. I deleted around 2000 points and 1800 faces, but the game still cant load it.

To test the game engine I made a "model" of 6 giant spheres, each 5000 faces, and 4902 points. Thats 29412 points and 30000 quads.

What do you think, what happened? The game loaded it!

I went further: I Triangulated the spheres, then it was 29412 points and 58880(!!!) triangles. The game loaded it again! But the game cant load a model that contains 9.000 less points and 43.000 less polys! Why?:confused:

I really need help, I worked on that model for months.

Strange stuff, if you like send me the model, or just the first lod if you like, I can take a look-see in my O2 and see if I get the same result.

my email address is in my profile.

Planck

You can split up your model into several models (one main model with several proxy models).

That's how I did a 63k points and 74k faces space ship interior model.

In the main model I leave all the selections that are being animated and/or setObjectTextured as I havent found out yet, how to do these thing within proxy models.

Using proxies this way is also a great way to keep the number of sections at a minimum, and therefore having almost no performance impact, even with very detailed models. The least number of sections you can have in a model (when texturing is done right) is the number of textures you use in it (no texture counts as one too). The trick is move all selections/faces with the same texture into one proxy model. What you end up with then, is one main model with very few sections, depending on what you leave in it, and several proxy models, each having only one section.

Edited by dengibtsschon

Simple answer: sharp edges.

Sharp edges massively increases the vertex count. Try just smooting all faces and see if it loads, then you can slowy re-sharpen only the edges which actually need to be sharp.

Deadmeat is right sharp edge => number of normals per vertex = number of polies that vertex connects. Smooth edge = one normal (average) per vertex

@ Planck:

PM sent, but its possible that 2 times. Sorry for that.

@ DM:

I know that trick, it was the first thing I tried, but unfortuntely didnt solved the problem.

@ dengibtsschon

Proxies! Damn good idea! I'll try that.

Sorry I hadn't replied up to now, been busy, but, I had a quick look at the model in O2 and the first thing that struck me is the resolution lod has a large amount of sections (1097).

This really needs to be fixed as well as anything else I can see.

Will report back as soon as I can.

Planck

Hi Planck!

That section problem is also quite interesting. I have a separate folder on my HD to store p3d models. If I open the model from there the model contains only 6(!) sections. But when I open the model from Arma2 addons directory, the model has 1097. I tried to reduce them, but no effect.

I also tried the proxy solution. I deleted a large part of the model (the main antenna), and used that as a proxy. The problem is that Im very bad at configs, so I couldnt make the proxy work ingame. I need advice. :confused:

The problem is that Im very bad at configs, so I couldnt make the proxy work ingame.

You don't need anything in the config to make 'static proxies' (that's what i call them, opposed to driver/gunner/cargo proxies for units) work. After you have moved the selection to a proxy (Right click the selection in the 'Named selections window, then click 'Move selection to Proxy'), make sure the 'Proxy Name' (Right click the proxy selection and click 'Rename') points directly to the new file (i.e. \addonname\file.p3d). To check if its working its enough to preview in Buldozer.

@sections

Happens occasionally for me, too. Sometimes its enough to switch to another lod and back, to make Oxygen refresh the sections count. But most times I have to manually split up all sections to temporary different lods (to have 1 section per lod) and then merge them back together one by one.

Yes, the major problem solved, I could get the model ingame, although the minor problem - too much sections - is unfortunately still present.

What about using the other model you said only had 6 sections when loaded from your HD holding location?

Planck

Hi!

I tried to copy the model that has 6 sections, but when I opened it, there were 820 (after creating the proxy) sections again. Maybe when I make rvmats, I try to reduce sections again, but now its not too important.

That sounds exactly like what I experience sometimes, that Oxygen fails to correctly update the sections count, after you've done a change.

Try this:

Identify the 6 sections. (All objects with the same face properties [texture, material, ...] usually form one section). Spilt your model up into 6 lods, so that every lod has one section only (these 6 lods serve as clipboards right now). Then create the proxy. The sections count of the clipboard lod, where you do that in should raise to 2. Cut and paste the proxy selection into a 7th clipboard lod, to make all clipboard lods to have only one section again.

Finally cut&paste all clipboard lods back together into one. The resulting sections count should be 7 or lower (depending on what you move into the proxy model. i.e. a part of a section, a whole section, or several whole sections).

Edited by dengibtsschon

Norsu!

Thanks for the link. Now I know what caused that section problem:

Also when using mass texture renaming tool sections can get screwed.

How can I change the texture path without using this tool?

I suggest you still use that feature since it's also very nice when you have to track down missing textures. You can easily fix any section problems with Sort, Move Bottom and Move Top functions like shown in that thread.

Use Windows->Resource Library in O2 to see how the sections are set up in your model. Double clicking a section in Resource Library selects it in the model and you can hold ctrl to select multiple section for easier merging :)