Sign in to follow this  
horrgakx

Sigh. Dogs of War. Again.

OKay so I got Lopotev from the island in my BMP but I got to base and got out - there was no sign of him. Next thing "Lopotev is dead" message.... WTF???

I may as well continue with the mission (I don't know what the difference will be now he's dead) and I see there's an Mi-8 in my base, engines running, so I want to use it to get around. Only thing is it isn't under my control and I can't shoot the pilot (since when did it have very very bullet proof glass?). See screenshot. What can I do?

arma2-chopper.jpg

It might be worth giving up completely. Again.

Hi,

Don't give up on it.

Obvoiusly there are still some bugs for BI to sort out and I hope they do sort them out.

When I captured Lopotev, I got a radio message from Don saying he was sending a helo to pick us up and shortly after that we were in the helo and back to base and everything worked out as I expected.

Did you get the radio message and choose to ignore it? Maybe that could have some affect on the outcome?

Bugs not withstanding, we really should commend BI for such an terrific game.

Tha fact that every player can choose a different and unique method of play and the game copes with it is just incredible. I'm really amazed that there are not more bugs than we seem to experience given the complexity of what is going on concurrently at any one instant.

Try reverting to an earlier save before you left the island and see if the problem happens again. Or try waiting for the helo to pick you up and transport you and the prisoner back to base.

An interesting observation during the flight was that Lopotev is actually in the pilot seat and appears to be flying the helo.

Cheers,

Luke

One of the bugs I had that really screwed this was that the helli did indeed come for Lopotev, but before I knew what was happening my no4. got in the chopper, Lopotev stayed with me, and the chopper flew back to base with my no.4 aboard!!

Obviously this mission wasn't tested to death before release. Having said that this mission is HUGE and the different permutations would be as long as a long thing.

Obviously this mission wasn't tested to death before release. Having said that this mission is HUGE and the different permutations would be as long as a long thing.

I think you're right there.

I just found another one.:eek:

I finished Deal with the Russians and went back to HQ with the intention of getting ready to go finding and destroying the enemy base, but when I got back and ordered the rest of the team to dissembark from the truck, I noticed that Number2 wasn't with us.:confused:

He didn't follow my order to get into the truck at the Lopotev hand over point.

I found him kms away heading to who knows where?

I ordered him to regroup but he ignored the order.

I ordered to stop, but he ignored the order.

I didn't want him to go getting himself killed and so I ordered to get down, but again he ignored the order.

It didn't matter what I ordered him to do, he just ignored it and continued going where ever the AI was sending him???

I tried to exchange roles with him but couldn't and so I decided to go and get him if I could.

After fighting my way around his path (I had to do this a couple of times to protect him) I finaly realised where he was going. He was trying to get back to the island where we got Lopotev????

Well I had almost caught up to him when he decided to try to swim to the island and then he drowned before I could do any thing.

Well it looks like that's it. I can't see how I can go any further because I can't control him?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck. :(

I've had that once too, two of my men ran back to a town following some old order or something. I was lucky in that it was a town. When they got there they came back under control.

Well it doesn't matter now.

I just installed Windows 7 on my PC, installed all my games (Steam) and now back to the beginning. :)

It will be interesting to see how the game performs under Win 7 and if I experience the same bugs.

Stay tuned :)

Cheers,

Luke

I'm currently on Dogs of War and getting some very weird bugs. Starting to get signs of mutiny, I give them one command and they do something else or just don't listen. Got them out of the car and ordered them prone, then 30 seconds later #5 gets up and wanders off onto the main road and gets squashed by an enemy APC :confused:

Had my main squad in an APC and had my backup clear the area, then give my team a command to drive to an area (IN the vehicle, as you do) and all of a sudden they all disembark and run away and won't get back in. When I look, the APC is now missing a wheel and all my team including myself are showing up as injured. No hostiles at all in that area, no sound of gunfire, nobody else showing up in that area at all :confused:

Haven't been sent to find Lopotev yet, after the bugs I'm getting I'm not really looking forward to it TBH :(

Horrgakx: Just reload from an earlier checkpoint? That's what I've been doing when I get glitches, played virtually all of Manhattan two or three times because of the bugs I encountered. The helis do some weird things, even in the training missions.

Horrgakx: Just reload from an earlier checkpoint?

Thanks - have done that now. This is my 4th attempt at this mission. Unbelievable :(

May I suggest user made missions. They are quite good. The 2 Navy Seal campaigns are unbelievable. Less headaches with them too.:bounce3:

The trouble with a lot of these missions is they need a bag load of addons.

I really really like the stuff which runs in the vanilla ArmA2.

The trouble with a lot of these missions is they need a bag load of addons.

I really really like the stuff which runs in the vanilla ArmA2.

Cipher is a highly replayable mission that runs in vanilla ARMA2. Highly recommended if you haven't tried it yet.

If you go through the Seal mission one post they walk you through how to use addons. Believe me when I say I am no PC expert and I figured out how to do it. Use Arma launcher with @ files and you can switch between vanilla Arma and super chocolate nut chunk brownie peanut butter Arma. You can launch it any way you want. :bounce3: After reading your post from above, one problem I was having with mods was titles. Now I keep the @ folder name exactly what the mod name I downloaded was and it works every time.

Edited by Fishercat

I've just started this mission. Originally with the previous mission "Badlands", I had decided to kill Father Fyodor/Prizrak as I thought for political expediency and ease of passage that an alliance between the CDF and NAPA would make my job easier in future. Then I thought, this isn't how my character should behave. He's a US Marine, who's accountable to a certain virtue and a moral standard. A standard that always has to be upheld. The struggle of war is not only to win your objectives but also not to lose your humanity and forget for what it is your fighting. So I loaded the previous save and spared Prizrak. Now...I began to play "Dogs of War", lo and behold, I have to contend with the CDF, ChDKZ and the Russian army (on occasion). Who here opted to kill Prizrak? Who spared him and how did you cope with fighting three opponents? Is there any way to make an alliance with the CDF in "Dogs of War"?

Yes, only by killing Prizrak in Badlands.

If I would start to try to keep as high moral as in real life, I would not play games like this at all. So when playing this game I play as it is required to get the best possible victory, if that requires low moral stuff, the blame is on the mission designer to not to punish for such behaviour instead of rewarding it.

;1861117']Who here opted to kill Prizrak?

No me' date=' but my character decided to kill Prizrak to achieve Flawless Victory status and War That Never Was ending. ;)

Is there any way to make an alliance with the CDF in "Dogs of War"?

It is not possible to form alliance in Dogs Of War if it is not formed in the beginning due to Badlands Prizrak elimination.

Even if you have alliance, there is a bug that, at least in multiplayer side, will break the alliance like it did for me the first time I loaded savegame "The alliance between Guerrillas and BLUEFOR has ended". Same message repeated every time after that I loaded any savegame during the mission. Guerrillas here means NAPA and BLUEFOR is CDF and USMC since I started at CDF HQ.

And I this already happened before CDF and NAPA were even close to each other and there was lots of Chedaki territory between. So there was absolutely no chance that it would be because AI started to kill each other.

So there is absolutely no guarantee that alliance will last. In the end I got tired about NAPA re-capturing towns from CDF so I just went and destroyed NAPA HQ. Still I got Flawless Victory status and War That Never Was ending, making it look like CDF and NAPA were friends till the end.

My best advice is to play on CDF side which has better equipment and not on NAPA. Most of people choose NAPA because they think it is easier to go to their lines in Bitter Chill.

If you want to start Dogs Of War in CDF HQ, it is best to conquer towns in Badlands in east to west order or maybe even a requirement to start on CDF side in Dogs Of War.

And what comes to russians you are only required to fight few rebellious Speznaz soldiers in Skalisky and in Lopotev give away location. The real Russian army in north will not attack you if you will not go too near it.

Edited by Hanzu

If I would start to try to keep as high moral as in real life, I would not play games like this at all. So when playing this game I play as it is required to get the best possible victory, if that requires low moral stuff, the blame is on the mission designer to not to punish for such behaviour instead of rewarding it.

I view that as hypocrisy. If one feels freely able to conduct such immoral behaviour in one arena yet doesn't do the same in an alternative one, surely it's only cowardice? I also think you miss the point of the game, particularly the campaign mode. Which enables the player to choose which path is the preferred one to take. Free-will is a great thing and I don't see how a mission designer can be blamed merely for not providing an adequate 'incentive' to perform a particular action, whatever it may be. Why not embrace the challenge? If you were to ask many veterans from previous real conflicts whether they were motivated to do 'the right thing' so they could be 'rewarded' with medals, adulation and so forth. They'd be horrified at such a notion. They do it for their fellow comrades and because it is the right thing to do. Which in itself is a reward. In addition, I don't look towards anyone else to make it easier for me to perform a moral action. I do it, because I would seek to do so in reality.

No me, but my character decided to kill Prizrak to achieve Flawless Victory status and War That Never Was ending. ;)

They call that vicarious liability. ;)

Thanks for the other information. I've decided to stick to my original plan and just go along with NAPA and Prizrak. I'm sure I could wedge him against a farm door or something. :p

Besides, I always like the challenge.

;1861921']I view that as hypocrisy. If one feels freely able to conduct such immoral behaviour in one arena yet doesn't do the same in an alternative one' date=' surely it's only cowardice? I also think you miss the point of the game, particularly the campaign mode. Which enables the player to choose which path is the preferred one to take. Free-will is a great thing and I don't see how a mission designer can be blamed merely for not providing an adequate 'incentive' to perform a particular action, whatever it may be. Why not embrace the challenge? If you were to ask many veterans from previous real conflicts whether they were motivated to do 'the right thing' so they could be 'rewarded' with medals, adulation and so forth. They'd be horrified at such a notion. They do it for their fellow comrades and because it is the right thing to do. Which in itself is a reward. In addition, I don't look towards anyone else to make it easier for me to perform a moral action. I do it, because I would seek to do so in reality.

They call that [i']vicarious liability[/i]. ;)

Thanks for the other information. I've decided to stick to my original plan and just go along with NAPA and Prizrak. I'm sure I could wedge him against a farm door or something. :p

Oh, for God's sake. Lighten up. You're playing a GAME. And the game is about WAR. IN that game, you are a soldier, a trained KILLER. Prizak is a murderer and torturer. Plus he uses religion to manipulate people in a two-faced, underhanded way (like many real priests). His death leads to the unification of the country, ending the war, and reduced civilian deaths. Stop whining and KILL PRIZAK NOW. I used my silenced M9 SD. Kick ass.

On the other hand, BI gave you a choice. You don't have to kill him if you don't want to. So what's the problem?

Arma 2 and BI RULE! :coop:

Oh, for God's sake. Lighten up. You're playing a GAME. And the game is about WAR. IN that game, you are a soldier, a trained KILLER. Prizak is a murderer and torturer. Plus he uses religion to manipulate people in a two-faced, underhanded way (like many real priests). His death leads to the unification of the country, ending the war, and reduced civilian deaths. Stop whining and KILL PRIZAK NOW. I used my silenced M9 SD. Kick ass.

On the other hand, BI gave you a choice. You don't have to kill him if you don't want to. So what's the problem?

Arma 2 and BI RULE! :coop:

Calm down will you, you're being more precious than a gay ballerina. I'm merely expressing my thoughts on why I choose to play the way I do. Of course soldiers are trained to kill, that's not the question, the question is to what end and does the end justify the means? I think this is addressed within the 'narrative' of the game immediately after you kill Prizrak. One of the squadmates remarks that they "crossed the rubicon long ago" although clearly he's disturbed by what he's seen. In addition the debriefing window says not to mention it to your superiors. Of course, if you refuse to kill him as one would expect of a marine (regardless of whether you're at ease with it) then the same squadmate congratulates you doing the "right thing" and it's clearly a nod of approval by the game developers. There's no problem as such. I like to explore the dichotomy between reality and virtual reality and the idea that people feel fine with doing certain things because there are no repercussions and they can get away with it. I find it amusing more than anything. Thank you sincerely for your concern.

I will add that it's clear B.I put in this dilemma to purposely explore a 'grey area' within warfare and perhaps covert operations. Where accountability is obscured and one can conceivably do things which would otherwise result in severe consequences. It's good storytelling.

There are lots of people who are murderers and torturers. Though they usually are put to trial and then dealt with accordingly.

I agree with Hanzu 100% on all counts. My only concern is to finish with flying colors and all objectives optimally achieved. The storytelling is like luscious icing on the Arma cake.

I chose the NAPA side in Bitter Chill, and had a very rough time with it. The Russians had landed at the NAPA camp and made life hell for Razor team. I thought for a long time that I was fighting NAPA there, that they had betrayed me as I had taken away Prizak's guns. I even once snuck in there and killed the gillie-suited NAPA agent thinking he was against me, and the mission ended with the blue-on-blue friendly fire admonition. The place was crawling with Russian snipers who had my squad and I completely pinned down. Finally, on the 20th try, approaching from the east through the woods, I ran into some NAPA fighters heading for the camp through the darkness, healed one of them who was injured, and then just calmly waltzed into the camp to end the mission. Go figure.

The replayability of Arma 2 is unmatched, and the storytelling is stellar. It's true that the gray areas are very interesting. I may have to play it again, as I missed having that conversation with NAPA in Novy Sobor recommended by Prizak after I found the weapons cache, and head for the CDF lines this time in Bitter Chill.

Most brutal, thought-provoking Arma 2 adventures:

1) killing Prizak in cold blood - Cooper is yelling and angry at the guy's hypocrisy, he can't believe this guy's rationalizations - he could easily pull the trigger on this fool - and he did.

2) Killing the head bad guy in Eye For An Eye who had been sniped and was lying on the ground in a back alley, writhing in pain

3) killing the Chedaki commander at the main base in Manhattan, who I had just mangled with cannon fire from my apc, and who was also writhing in pain, begging for mercy and asking for help.

4) crawling for hundreds of meters along the runway in Sandstorm to end the mission successfully, so injured I couldn't crouch or walk, and of course unable to get into and command any of the friendly AI vehicles, who were busy capturing the hangar anyway. I learned how to do the mission properly later.

;1861921']I view that as hypocrisy. If one feels freely able to conduct such immoral behaviour in one arena yet doesn't do the same in an alternative one' date=' surely it's only cowardice? I also think you miss the point of the game, particularly the campaign mode. Which enables the player to choose which path is the preferred one to take. Free-will is a great thing and I don't see how a mission designer can be blamed merely for not providing an adequate 'incentive' to perform a particular action, whatever it may be. Why not embrace the challenge? If you were to ask many veterans from previous real conflicts whether they were motivated to do 'the right thing' so they could be 'rewarded' with medals, adulation and so forth. They'd be horrified at such a notion. They do it for their fellow comrades and because it is the right thing to do. Which in itself is a reward. In addition, I don't look towards anyone else to make it easier for me to perform a moral action. I do it, because I would seek to do so in reality.[/quote']

You can view it what ever you want and I do no mind. We all deserve to have our opinion. In game where my character has his predefined dialogue and where he uses profanity and language I would never use and words are put to his mouth, I immediately decided this is not me and I will not try to act like I would act in that situation or try to simulate how real soldier with normal moral standards would act in same situation.

I like challenge too and that is why I have never played Arma2 on anything but Expert difficulty.

Thanks for the other information. I've decided to stick to my original plan and just go along with NAPA and Prizrak. I'm sure I could wedge him against a farm door or something.

I kind of tried that too already and that is where original mission designer has gone wrong. When Razor Team goes to meet Prizrak in Badlands. Prizrak is alone and unarmed. I once decided not to kill him and just watched if I could push and keep him still, but he just keeps going like a bulldozer with no-one will push me around attitude. He slowly walked south and once he reached the first trees he just disappered like a ghost.

Next time I leg wounded him and started to crawl to west. This time going even slower and again disappearing after a while.

So because he disappeared like a demon, my conclusion is he is not a human at all and so my character don't violate human rights by shooting him next time.

In real life how come rough armed 4 men can not capture unarmed man and leave tied up in that wooden hut until war is over or even better why not deliver him to that NAPA agent who told where he is who sure is against him because he told us where he is. In Manhattan mission Lagushina followed you everywhere until you arranged transport for her. Why not arrange such a transport for Prizrak and keep him in custody until Dogs Of War starts and give him away to CDF, USMC or Russians there since in that point you already have enough evidence against him.

I agree OMAC. One of the worst things in this game is that if you want to succeed you need to be bad and ruthless. I didn't want to kill that Insurgent Leader begging for mercy in Manhattan either and since I was playing that mission cooperatively one of my friends playing with me got tired of me hesitating and finished Insurgent leader instead. Again why didn't the original mission designer let us capture that wounded man and deliver him to NAPA guerrillas. There is a lot of driving around in that mission anyway, so it would not be too much to be asked.

I like missions like One Week Later, Bitter Chill and Delaying The Bear which all can be completed without shooting anyone and going stealthy and avoiding contact is skillful and satisfying. There are enough shooting in Badlands and Dogs Of War is someone that kind of action is your priority.

But anyway we are somehow offtopic here already and this is not really helpful reading for someone who seek for information about missions, so I think I will consider myself done for this thread.

I agree with Hanzu 100% on all counts. My only concern is to finish with flying colors and all objectives optimally achieved. The storytelling is like luscious icing on the Arma cake.

I chose the NAPA side in Bitter Chill, and had a very rough time with it. The Russians had landed at the NAPA camp and made life hell for Razor team. I thought for a long time that I was fighting NAPA there, that they had betrayed me as I had taken away Prizak's guns. I even once snuck in there and killed the gillie-suited NAPA agent thinking he was against me, and the mission ended with the blue-on-blue friendly fire admonition. The place was crawling with Russian snipers who had my squad and I completely pinned down. Finally, on the 20th try, approaching from the east through the woods, I ran into some NAPA fighters heading for the camp through the darkness, healed one of them who was injured, and then just calmly waltzed into the camp to end the mission. Go figure.

The replayability of Arma 2 is unmatched, and the storytelling is stellar. It's true that the gray areas are very interesting. I may have to play it again, as I missed having that conversation with NAPA in Novy Sobor recommended by Prizak after I found the weapons cache, and head for the CDF lines this time in Bitter Chill.

Most brutal, thought-provoking Arma 2 adventures:

1) killing Prizak in cold blood - Cooper is yelling and angry at the guy's hypocrisy, he can't believe this guy's rationalizations - he could easily pull the trigger on this fool - and he did.

2) Killing the head bad guy in Eye For An Eye who had been sniped and was lying on the ground in a back alley, writhing in pain

3) killing the Chedaki commander at the main base in Manhattan, who I had just mangled with cannon fire from my apc, and who was also writhing in pain, begging for mercy and asking for help.

4) crawling for hundreds of meters along the runway in Sandstorm to end the mission successfully, so injured I couldn't crouch or walk, and of course unable to get into and command any of the friendly AI vehicles, who were busy capturing the hangar anyway. I learned how to do the mission properly later.

That's fine and I wouldn't tell people how to play a game, it's none of my concern and everyone's gaming experience should be their own. I merely pointed out it's hypocritical to do one thing in one reality and another in a separate one if you're effectively playing yourself. It is what it is. I've been a hypocrite, for instance playing "GTA IV" and running people over. I wouldn't do it in my car in reality of course but then in a gaming environment, it's facile to do something when the repercussions are fairly light. It's funny how morality can shift. Having said so, if you're playing a character who's a serial killer then of course it's very limited in what you can do. Of course you're in character there so it would be natural for him to follow his compunction to murder.

What I like within the "ArmA 2" storyline is that B.I haven't forced the player to do one thing or the other. You're given a choice and it reflects the difficulty of operating in the field, where clear goals and actions may not be so easy. If this game is in fact a military simulator then it should reflect the types of dilemma one would find in a military environment. Do you destroy a target regardless of civilian casualties because you don't have to deal with the political ramifications? Do you instead think more carefully as a trained servicemen about whom dies after you pull your trigger. Afterall, you're a trained and highly skilled killer, not a butcher. As I've said before, I like the challenge and for me. Acting as the morally upright character makes it more challenging when there is an easier option to do something which isn't morally sound but expedient nonetheless. It's as if you're putting obstacles in your way because you want to prove that you can overcome them and deal with any difficulty. The one thing I hate in games is when you can't decide what to do and are forced to do a certain thing just so you can progress through the storyline. I think I found that in "GTA IV" but I can't remember anything specifically.

I have to say I am quite curious as to what it would be like to be allied with the CDF. It would be interesting to see whether they ask you to kill Prizrak too. I look forward to completing "Badlands" again and this time I haven't missed the two gentlemen in the white car!

Interesting dilemmas you pointed out there. For me, I wouldn't have a problem putting the Chedaki commander down. If he had been mangled by high-explosive cannon rounds then there wouldn't be much you could do for him. The only thing to do would be to put him down. Plus, he could have a weapon on him. I'd say the same for the guy who got sniped, you can't help him and so you're very limited in what you can do.

So because he disappeared like a demon, my conclusion is he is not a human at all and so my character don't violate human rights by shooting him next time.

Haha, I wonder what that makes Shaftoe? God? ;)

I agree OMAC. One of the worst things in this game is that if you want to succeed you need to be bad and ruthless. I didn't want to kill that Insurgent Leader begging for mercy in Manhattan either and since I was playing that mission cooperatively one of my friends playing with me got tired of me hesitating and finished Insurgent leader instead. Again why didn't the original mission designer let us capture that wounded man and deliver him to NAPA guerrillas. There is a lot of driving around in that mission anyway, so it would not be too much to be asked.

I can't remember a insurgent leader begging for mercy. Remind me how it goes.

But anyway we are somehow offtopic here already and this is not really helpful reading for someone who seek for information about missions, so I think I will consider myself done for this thread.

I don't think we're off-topic. We're just discussing something beyond the technical detail of the mission. I'm sure others have considered the same thing and wondered why they couldn't arrest someone. I think it's a very good suggestion and I don't see why can't implement such a thing. It would've been interesting if there was an option to force Prizrak to go into exile. Perhaps he'd be the kind who'd be willing to die for his position (rather than getting others to do die for him) and so you'd have to let him go or kill him.

Edited by Mach2Infinity

Hanzu, regarding stealth missions, you forgot to mention Jackal! I just got through that yesterday for the first time. MAN! Talk about unforgiving. After crawling so much, I've got a shovel-load of Takistani dirt in my mouth! The biggest issue I finally solved: how close to that gas pump do you need to plant the satchel to have it destroyed to satisfy the "Damage Base" objective, while two soldiers are standing about 2-3 meters away! Planting the satchel just inside the door of the gas station building won't do the trick!!!! :( ARGH!

The mission designers could have had Prizak try to pull a pistol on you to make you feel better about wasting him. That's the way it would have been done in American movies. I like the way BI did it. Cross that Rubicon! Razor team the special ops undercover hit squad.

Hanzu, could you point me to somewhere that describes the difference between Veteran and Expert? I decided to play through Arma 2 SP campaign the first time on Veteran. Now THAT is a challenge. Not knowing the ins and outs and having only one manual save. In Expert, do red enemy icons appear over bad guys when in High Command mode?

Well.. I was about to shut up for this thread, but can't help on aswering.

Hanzu, regarding stealth missions, you forgot to mention Jackal!

That's because my expertice is limited to official missions that can be played in multiplayer cooperative. Unfortunately I have no time for other gametypes or SP-only missions or is it one of those Operation Arrowhead mission which I have not seen yet (currently in mission Sandstorm).

Hanzu, could you point me to somewhere that describes the difference between Veteran and Expert? I decided to play through Arma 2 SP campaign the first time on Veteran. Now THAT is a challenge. Not knowing the ins and outs and having only one manual save. In Expert, do red enemy icons appear over bad guys when in High Command mode?

I think there is no such a list available, but I think I will make one table myself and link it here. Takes some time though.

In Expert High Command mode red unit icons appear to indicate enemy too and even when there are no friendly troops who have visual on them.

In expert the only difficulty settings you can change are:

Super AI

YOU WERE KILLED

Multiplayer score

VON ID

I have them all enabled.

By the way In Expert 3rd person view is disabled for more realism (assuming it is enabled in Veteran).

Excellent. Thank you!