Sign in to follow this  
oktane

PETITION: Include a few ArmA1 Addons in an official Arma2 patch.

Add some of the Arma1 vehicles into ArmA2?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Add some of the Arma1 vehicles into ArmA2?

• Yes! Moar is better!
    • No, I don't care.

Never mind. The proper solution is an addon synchronization system in Arm2 OpArrow.

To clarify, add some of Arma1's vehicles into an ArmA2 patch at some point. So that there is more content in the game, basically for free (time/money), because the work was already done for ArmA1.

Vehicles suggested: US choppers like the Blackhawk and the Littlebird, Strykers, Vulcan etc.

They don't need to be reskinned, leave that to the community skin packs. If they simply existed in the stock A2 game at some point, you'd have a few more vehicles in the game and have more variety for our public servers that don't currently force community made addons. (without dropping player counts, as those forced addons do)

We really miss the little birds and the blackhawks.. we can only play them on our private servers or new people can't join. :(

Remember in the old days when you would release weapon packs on the website for OFP and Res?

There is no built in automatic addon synchronization. If the game had that, we wouldn't have this problem. :D Yes Yoma's tool is great but it doesn't come with or interface directly with the game. We can't even give a custom message to a person that is kicked off due to not having the required addons. (if we could, at least we could tell them "Hey go to this website and get these addons, or download Yoma's tool")

Edited by oktane

It's called Operation Arrowhead.

Yes but will Operation Arrowhead include all of ArmA2's vehicles and weapons or will some be cut for DVD space reasons?

I may be missing the point exactly, but why not just learn how to port addons over, if they can be......or, ask the creator to help out, ......or wait for someone else to pick up the project?

I DO however understand that alot of people don't understand all of the BIS tools and things, and some people don't feel like downloading a hellacious amount of specific addons just to join a specific server.

This probably doesn't help, but I'm right in the middle kinda.

Just my thoughts, always good to see different ideas pop up.

Edited by Raptor 6 Actual

I may be missing the point exactly, but why not just learn how to port addons over, if they can be......or, ask the creator to help out, ......or wait for someone else to pick up the project?

I DO however understand that alot of people don't understand all of the BIS tools and things, but why delay the release of Arrowhead?

Just my thoughts, always good to see different ideas pop up.

Look guys, the Arma1 addons will load in Arma2 fine with some fiddling, not hard for someone experienced in loading addons. However, try running a server that caters to the public. On one hand you have the guys that have been there a while and know the game well.. community addons and all (or have played the previous series), and on the other you have new people just getting into Arma that don't know anything about the addon scene.. the latter will not be able to get into your server at all if you have custom addons that add vehicle classes and they are used on the currently running map. The other guys start to get bored with the options over time, but are forced to deal with it because if we do run custom/required stuff, the player count drops dramatically. Even on a popular mod like ACE, the counts went way down when we forced its use, even though ACE was fantastic.

That is the point of this.. to add already existing content with zero work on BIS's part, they just need to add the files into the next patch. It's free content, that can be used by all that own Arma2.. without requiring 'extra' addons. I think they'd just have to patch the crew classname for some of the units.

I would suggest the original island too, but that would require a lot of extra PBO's for the vegetation and buildings.. vehicles are simpler.

Edited by oktane

I don't see it flying.

1. There are a whole bunch of shaders that aren't ArmA 2 quality, I don't see BIS wanting to dilute the visual fidelity of the released game.

2. This 'free' content directly competes with what is for many ArmA 2 owners a major appeal of Operation Arrowhead.

I don't see it flying.

1. There are a whole bunch of shaders that aren't ArmA 2 quality, I don't see BIS wanting to dilute the visual fidelity of the released game.

2. This 'free' content directly competes with what is for many ArmA 2 owners a major appeal of Operation Arrowhead.

1. I agree about the quality. I was worried about polycount too. But that's for BIS to decide really. Personally, I don't think people would mind a lower res littlebird, if it was explained that it came from an older game. It wouldn't be used in the campaign, it would just be a bonus.

2. But the concept is the same for OPArrow too, what will you say when OPArrow is missing some things that Arma2 had? (which it may, because it's 'stand alone' and may be limited to one dual layer DVD) The engine will probably be very similar and able to load the older addons from A2...

I have a hunch this time around they are not making it an expansion proper, instead going the OFP Resistance route with its own EXE because of poor sales of Queen's Gambit. (and rightly so) If QG had been an internal project (didn't 505 make it?) and had a separate EXE, people would have to buy it to continue getting updates to the game. I'd prefer that actually, as a server admin, because we basically ignored QG since it wasn't required, therefore we couldn't use its classes in the missions on the pub server. (and not that many people even had it)

So we'll all be OPA anyways since it is going to be what is patched. :D

Edited by oktane

It has been confirmed that OA is standalone and can also address ArmA 2 content if installed. Our server will be OA/A2.

well if its standalone & were having 2 separate exe's then they sure as hell better get rid of these stupid cd-reqs. i bought the game i shouldnt have to prove it to you every time i want to play it.

Won't happen. BI only invests effort on resources they need for the missions themselves.

And ArmA's vehicles aren't to the same standard that ArmA II's are. The textures are much lower res. They would/do look very odd in ArmA II when contrasted with ArmA II's default vehicles. I'd say we should wait for OA, when we'll have many of the same vehicles as in ArmA but of much higher quality. Or, until someone else makes them.

Pointless poll/petition.

First because there is a Blackhawk already in ArmA2, even if its called Seahawk,

Second, the Marines are not using any A/MH-6 Helicopters (even if CM makes you think that). The last time BIS mixed content (in ArmA1) they were bahsed for this and now they are asked to to exactly that...

And for OA we have a dedicated thread you can use.

The way the poll questions are formulated is silly.

To comment on the actual subject: No, I do not wish to be forced to download hundreds of megabytes of content I most likely will never use just because I want to keep my game up-to-date.

I think they should give the Blackhawk more of a spine in the game, where's the rockets?!

Pointless poll/petition.

First because there is a Blackhawk already in ArmA2, even if its called Seahawk,

Second, the Marines are not using any A/MH-6 Helicopters (even if CM makes you think that). The last time BIS mixed content (in ArmA1) they were bahsed for this and now they are asked to to exactly that...

And for OA we have a dedicated thread you can use.

Thats fine, you can close/delete this then. The real solution to the root problem is auto addon syncronization. Judging from the varied responses here, I wasn't clear about where I was coming from(hosting public servers, new player friendly), nor did I consider that some people think the campaign is the end all be all of the game. (imo the campaign is irrelevant, bis can't be short sighted to think all the players with their game bought it for the campaign)

I don't know who would be dumb enough to bash for more content that could be used in stock multiplayer. I didn't.

Voted no. I'd rather they spent the time transferring it to OA in a nicer fashion, than having mediocre versions of Arma2 compatible and OA only content. I'd rather have the problems fixed than just adding more content. Quality over quantity. Content wise, I don't miss much in Arma2.

I'm gonna have to stay neutral on this one. I like the ArmA1 vehicles, and it would be nice to get them into ArmA2. But there is Arrowhead. However, some people may not want to purchase Arrowhead. Just my opinion, I'm gonna stay neutral on this.

Petition: Give me free stuff that I feel entitled to, even tho I have not done or paid anything to actually be worthy of said free stuff... .....

No, i dont want/need any Arma 1 stuff in my A2 instalation.

1. The Marines dont use strykers, little birds or blackhawks..

2. The content is not up to date with A2 and there are more changes than just the shadders..

The more stock addons the better, that way user mission designers have more freedom to form their scenarios with. In particular, I would like to see multiple islands/worlds included with the game. I'm starting to sound like a broken record on these boards but the more content the better, especially for this game.

It's a shame to see so many excellent addons/islands made from the community go to waste since nobody will make quality missions that use them. I think that's why most people don't like investing massive quantities of time and effort into something that will get played until the next revision of an addon.

If OA happened to include all commercially available models, texts, islands, and technologies from the VBS series, OFP series, ArmA series, and ArmA 2, I would spend twice as much on the game than just 50 bucks. I think many others would too.

Petition: Give me free stuff that I feel entitled to, even tho I have not done or paid anything to actually be worthy of said free stuff... .....

I own 3 copies of Operation Flashpoint, 3 of Arma, and 2 of Arma2..

<-- see the join date?

Did all the 'not in my backyard' guys come to this thread to be a jackass?

Please close this topic, as it serves no purpose. It was poorly thought through before posting it. I made some feature requests in the CIT that would overcome the core game limitations that I originally requested this for.

Edited by oktane

Did all the 'not in my backyard' guys come to this thread to be a jackass?

I think the reason is becuase as many said the gear would be inferior to the newer version of the game. They wouldnt look very well coupled with the rest of the gear, and not function as good as the new one does. Its nice to have more i totally agree with you, but the stated plus what DM said about getting all the contents from all previous games means people buying ARMA2 only will get all that hard work for free. You have baught them all im sure, but your not alone out there. ;)

Its like now with upcoming OpA. ARMA2 vehicles and units will not work with FLIR (AFAWeK so far). The ARMA2 weapons will not be fitted with flashligts and PEQ units etc. Now it is a stand alone/expansion so we are free to use the ARMA2 content in there if we want. However it requires us to buy both.

So OpA will in a sense be what you want. You'll get your strykers, LB's and all the rest plus you can use all ARMA2 gear (more to play with). Some gear will be inferior to the new tech, but can be used never the less (and hopefully updated by the community). ;) So its pretty much what your looking for. Ta ta. :)

Alex