Sign in to follow this  
csj

RopeWalk

Firstly this is simply not for the mass ArmA community.

I have several projects I am currently working on in A2 which range from one end of the spectrum to the other.

This is a small peek into one of them which I think could develop into an interesting mod

- with a little assistance :whistle:

I have not dedicated a lot of time towards sounds, particle effects, units etc as yet so what appears in the video is in a raw state.

Comments...

Arrrrrr ... and i thought it was something to be used with the Wii Fit Board :p

Keep it up, looking real good!

What bugs me as an "old" sailor is the way they use the sails, they should use the lower ones first and put up the higher later. ;) Now they raised the topsails first, they are the last to be rasied and the first to go.

Other than that, whooa!

Umm WOW!

Didnt expect that at ALL. :) Very very cool. Good work.

Awesome! This looked good. Liked the anims of the gun hatches and sails etc. The battle was very nice as well. Nice models! Now if you can make it that the ships have different damage levels and for instance that it would be possible to walk around on deck and shoot at eachother with rifles etc. Then this would rock! Imagine actually entering another ship (with some sort of grabbing hook anim maybe or just float alongside)and going aboard that one to fight man to man! :eek::yay:

I will definitely play this when it comes out! If not just to float around with my ship and go arrrrr all day while getting drunk on rum :drinking: :292:

Very nice to see an out-of-the-box idea. Looks like a very nice project.

I could see some great multiplayer battles happening with multi-crewed manowars and what have ya.

Best of luck, capt'n.

wow thats awesome!!

i also tried to convert this ship model from the 3d warehouse. but its very high poly. with a very detailed interiour (many canons etc.).

Hehehe, very nice work, reminds me of my rework of philcommando sailingships for my OFP napoleonic work :

14pres2.jpg

Good old days....with a bunch of setpos scripts to get all these canons aboard !

Edited by ProfTournesol
typo

Thanks all for kind comments.

@ andersson and anyone else that has factual and helpful info on this topic,

say 18th century era, then please state it along with links. I know sfa re this

and all good info is welcome.

My actual sailing experience -

Late 70's I did some sailing amongst the Riau's in a 11ft dingy, I was the pax, and I

can assure you that my enthusiasm for sailing had sunk to the bottom of the sea

after 6 hours in that boat.

Having said that - I do love the majestic Tall Ships, gotta love 'em.

Atm I have gathered around 10 good web sites

that I scrounge for details and ideas. Ships, cannons, Naval and pirates etc.

Pirate's Cove has lots of good info and interesting data.

Models atm as featured in video

Yawl (ships boat)

can mount a swivel gun

Small Merchant ship (modelled on the Bounty)

6x4 pounders and swivel guns all main deck , I added extra 2 fwd.

Fourth Rate (modelled on several but mainly the Priediestinacja)

26 x 32 pounders lower deck

24 x 24 pounders main deck

swivel guns and 24 pound carronades on upper deck but have to add some more.

There is another 5 ships inbetween these that I have plans for and a few more

on either end of the scale, all with matching armament, speed and maneuverability.

gun models -

32, 24, 12 and 4 pound cannans

24 pounder carronade

swivel gun

Atm, gun doors open when an enemy ship is spotted within 1 km and cannons are moved

fwd to firing positions. When threat has gone, cannons are moved back and doors shut.

Once a ship reaches critical damage it will either

-nail it's colours (flag) to the pole and fight on untill sunk. When any surviving crew will abandon

ship, as seen in video.

-lower it's colours and surrender.

Sails work on speed of the ship - I do not like this setup but it will do for now.

I have a sail damage system setup but due to problems with setTexture it was not incuded in vid.

---

thanks to Marko112 for posting at Armed Assault

Sorry CSJ, I cant find any links about it. But I have sailed on old wooden ships and even worked in a rig of an old 4 masted grainsailer (worked as a rigger, that ship dont sail anymore as its a museum today). I have also read different books from that era and some logbooks.

If you think about the order to set sails it also makes more sense to start with the big and low ones. Think about how the windforce will act on a rig with only the topsails set. The wind is pushing it down, and the more angle the boat is tilted the less sailarea are exposed. So its better to use the big lower sails as they have more drive, and the force that want to tilt your boat is less. Then you add the higher sails if you can to get more drive. The higher sails are the first to go if the wind is to hard too, of obvious reasons. They have a big affect on the angle the boat is tilted. Also the forces on the rig can be to much up there when its strong wind. The lower part of the rig is much stronger.

We sometimes joked about setting only topsails and the first frontsail to fuck around, but we never dared because one photo from another boat will be used forever against us :D You just dont do that, its as bad seamanship as you can think of.

Hey makes sense to me, thanks andersson. My tinker only had 1 sail that I remember.

So for example order of sail from woe to go on say the fourthRate -

Main Sail and Fore Sail maybe with Spanker and Sprit

next

Mizzen, Main Top Sail and Gallant

last

Fore Royal and Main Royal

hoes that sound.

I would say this order:

First

Spanker, Main Sail, Fore Sail and Sprit

Next

Main Royal, Fore Royal and Mizzen

Last

Main Top Sail and Gallant

As naming sails can be a challenge in itself I hope we use the same names.. ;)

What I here call spanker I normally call mizzen. But I found pictures on net that call the lowest sail on the mizzen-mast (the one with boom and gaff) the spanker and the square sails above mizzen, mizzen-top and mizzen-top-gallant.

You also use "main top sail" and "gallant". I think that is alittle to undefined.. It works now as you define one as belonging to the main mast. But the "gallant" is the level above "top", it seems.

I found this link: http://southseas.nla.gov.au/refs/falc/1116.html

So from the ship at your youtube-video "ropewalk" @ 5:44 and the link I gave you I would say the names should be like this:

'''''''''''[4] [7]

''''''''[ 3 ] [ 6 ] [ 9]

[1] [ 2 ] [ 5 ] / 8 ]

''''\__||___||__||_

''''''\____________|

1=Sprit

2=Fore 3=Fore-top 4=Fore-top-gallant

5=Main 6=Main-top 7=Main-top-gallant

8=Mizen 9=Mizen-top

Regardless of names, you might be right, this is the order I would set sails (using the numbers from my excellent illustration:p):

slow speed: 1, 2, 5 and 8

normal speed: 3 and 6 (maybe 9 too..)

fast speed: 9, 7 and 4

What you aim for when choosing sails is to have a balance between fore and aft. To much sail in the fore and your boat will "fall", to much sails on the aft and your boat will "climb". The Sprit (1) and Mizen (8) are very important for maneuverability as you use them to push the boat when you tack and to brake during a jibe.

No worries, the names do change from site to site but as long as the set order is correct, thanks. :x:

Wow this is wicked. It would be cool to see a mod/mission with a bunch of island and using some sort of modified warfare to create a way to fortify an island, build factories to process different types of tradeable/exploitable goods(Rum, gold, sugar, coffee, cocoa, etc), build pirate outposts, missions, etc. Then set up an economy somehow to allow for trading, buying ships, supplies, weapons. Just a complete open world high seas scenario. This would be way above my mission making capabilities but damn it would be fun.

Wow this is wicked. It would be cool to see a mod/mission with a bunch of island and using some sort of modified warfare to create a way to fortify an island, build factories to process different types of tradeable/exploitable goods(Rum, gold, sugar, coffee, cocoa, etc), build pirate outposts, missions, etc. Then set up an economy somehow to allow for trading, buying ships, supplies, weapons. Just a complete open world high seas scenario. This would be way above my mission making capabilities but damn it would be fun.

:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3:

@Manzilla - Yes that sounds like a good plan.

I use to play an old DOS game (long before graphics) which was simular to what you just described.

This is one of the avenues, there are several, I would like to head down with this mod if possible maybe more single player ?.

Starting with a small ship buying the guns and hiring the crew. Trading in goods from port to port whilst fighting off pirates and unfriendly ships from other countries. Doing some side missions for your King/Queen or other to increase your wealth... it goes on. The nearest graphic game I know of along simular lines would be High Seas Trader.

we need a melee fight system!!!imagine the pirates trying to capture our ships....

LOL thats fookin awesome keep up the good work

hi thats look awesome, very good job so far

i hope to see some land soldiers too, with flintlock riffels and pistols, cannons and so on :)

Now we also need a matching Island ^^

I´m thinking about something like "Tortuga" or "Treasure Island" with kind of Pirates of Caribbean flair ;)

Arrrrrr