Sign in to follow this  
itsme

Whats the lowest dual core & Graphics Card to run Arma 2?

lowest dual core? I run arma 2 with a Pentium 4 and a X1650 pro :bounce3:

yes it can run it,

If ur gonna order there I'd take this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-085-OE&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat=

the core i5 is way faster than the q9400.

if you're going to overclock it might be worth it to get the UD4 mobo instead of the UD2

both systems are massively overpriced though.

edit: It's not as overpriced as I thought, on a dutch webshop these parts+assembly cost about 840 euro's ~770 pounds, so that's only 140 pounds less.

If it was upto me then I would go for the £1500 one, but sadly it aint, my budget is £400-600, I might wait actually for another month then go for the core i5, will see, I aint rushing

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

lowest dual core? I run arma 2 with a Pentium 4 and a X1650 pro :bounce3:

yes it can run it,

What?? I tried to run Arma with Pentium 4 (which is what am using now) with 7600GT 1.5Gb Memory, but kept crashing, am not sure whether the X1650 is better than the 76GT but its not about the graphics here, its about the processor, I dont think you can run it with single core

P4 3.2ghz, x1650 pro with everything on normal beside PP 100% fillrate ( last time i changed the video setting it was there :p ) 2000 viewdistance and i get a decent game, sometimes it crashes in the campaign but self made mission and sometimes a MP play, no big problems so far, just slow down sometimes ( considering that i don't even match the minimal requirement i suppose it's good :D )

Almost forgot, 1260x1024 on 19" that's important as well

Edited by Uglyboy

hey guys. im here to tell you that even a modest machine can run arma 2 at low to normal settings. i had a pentium D 3.0 Ghz 2GB ddr2 ram and a 5400 RPM hdd (it was a dell machine purchased in 2006) and an HD 4670 card ( a very budget card).

i recently spend 425 USD and built my own budget rig. im running 2.8 Ghz Phenom II x 3 tri-core processor, 1333 Mhz DDR3 4GB RAM, 7200 RPM HDD, and with the same card I get almost double framerates.i suspect the card was previously bottlenecked by a pentium D. in far cry 2 i get around 60 fps on very high settings 1280*1024. im looking to get a new card though, possibly a 5770 ATI but I wonder if 128 bit is enough for 1280*1024 (which is what i will play for a long time).

P4 3.2ghz, x1650 pro with everything on normal beside PP 100% fillrate (

hmm, thats kind of hard to believe, I had a x1600 as my first card and it was pretty shit tbh, until I upgraded to ATI 4850 I'd think the most you could run it on was all settings low PP/AF/AA off at best :rolleyes:

The Thor looks better than great, go for it!

Am not happy with the DDR2 thgt!! is it a big deal with Arma 2?

The fact its DDR2 on the Thor isnt a big deal.

What i WOULD say is a big deal is that you would be buying "last generation" tech, and a motherboard with a CPU socket that will only support future "budget" processors, so if you plan to upgrade in the next few years then youd be severely limited.

The fact its DDR2 on the Thor isnt a big deal.

What i WOULD say is a big deal is that you would be buying "last generation" tech, and a motherboard with a CPU socket that will only support future "budget" processors, so if you plan to upgrade in the next few years then youd be severely limited.

So what exactly am I suppose to do here? buy a £1000 system? or wait or what?

I would probably buy a new one in the next few years, am not the type of person who likes upgrading, just buy a new one;)

probably once Arma 3 is out

You should do what makes you happy ;)

Personally, I wouldnt buy the C2Q system, its previous generation now.

Additionally the graphics cards are almost 18 months old too (and while theyre fairly decent for performance, in both the C2Q and Core i5 system they will be your bottleneck - i have one too), if youre going to keep the system for 3 years and just buy a whole new one when its upgrade time, you probably would want something new and upto date now....

If you dare to try, you can save a heap by building yourself.

Edit: Just an example of how much itd cost to get something quite "future proof" for a decent price if you build yourself... No need to spend £1k, i just added a core i7 860, radeon 5850, asus motherboard, 4gb DDR3 ram, 750gb WD caviar black HDD, corsair PSU, coolermaster case into an ebuyer shopping cart, comes to £800. I dont think i missed anything "neccesary" for a system. Maybe you want more ram, or a SSD.. or something.

Edited by TimRiceSE

I just spent around £1100 on mine but that included everything like mouse/keyboard/speakers/HD monitor/ Windows 7 pro/ Blu ray player as my son has my old system now

I just spent around £1100 on mine but that included everything like mouse/keyboard/speakers/HD monitor/ Windows 7 pro/ Blu ray player as my son has my old system now

thats alot of money, I hope you havent forgotten the graphics card? or did you spend another £200 for that?

But you know what? forget Arma, I will only buy a new system once Arrowhead is out, I am more into guerrilla wars than conventional, and thank god its a standalone expansion, Roll on the Taliban:D

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

btw, why would you spend extra £20 or £30 for Windows 7 pro? Home version should do the job!!

Im still playing on a c2d E4300 1.8Ghz (oc to 2Ghz) and a X1950Pro 512mb and 2GB DDR, and the game runs quite fluid at high settings. Only PP and AA are disabled.

I've put 2700 € for my next rig i'll buy in january hopefully nvidia will put something new on the table for me :rolleyes:

I've put 2700 € for my next rig i'll buy in january hopefully nvidia will put something new on the table for me :rolleyes:

thats about £2500:eek:!!!!!! you are not just an ugly boy, but crazy too, why spend that much? people are dying of hunger around the world and people like you spend lavish amount of money to play games!!:mad:

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

I got 2 graphics cards in that price ;) click the spoiler in my sig

you havent answered my question

did you add extra £200 for the graphics on top of that £1100?

and why did you buy windows 7 pro?? why not the home edition?

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Im still playing on a c2d E4300 1.8Ghz (oc to 2Ghz) and a X1950Pro 512mb and 2GB DDR, and the game runs quite fluid at high settings. Only PP and AA are disabled.

Sorry but I dont believe this, people with much better spec still struggle to play with normal settings let alone high!!

Plus your spec is like the minimum, so how could you play with high settings? dont make sense mate

no £1100 is all I have spent, includes price of 2 1gb Ati 5770's

as for software, I prefered xp pro to xp home. Win 7 pro has xp compatibility, home does not

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

just did the cart again for you on ebuyer

pc1g.th.jpg

^^just components (although they are out of the 1600 xms atm, but it was around same price)

you could actually get the price down further by selecting a non blu ray drive, only having 1 5770 and maybe add another at a later date.

and here it is with all the fancy bits I bought with it

pc2h.th.jpg

P4 3.2ghz, x1650 pro with everything on normal beside PP 100% fillrate

1260x1024 on 19"

:oh: :raisebrow:

Core 2 Duo at 3.2Ghz and X1950pro. Playing at 1280x1024 and the game is barely playable with everything on LOW and postprocessing OFF. Getting into low 20's way often for my liking and sometimes even lower. How do you guys get the game to run smoothly on those machines is beyond me.

no £1100 is all I have spent, includes price of 2 1gb Ati 5770's

as for software, I prefered xp pro to xp home. Win 7 pro has xp compatibility, home does not

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

just did the cart again for you on ebuyer

pc1g.th.jpg

^^just components (although they are out of the 1600 xms atm, but it was around same price)

you could actually get the price down further by selecting a non blu ray drive, only having 1 5770 and maybe add another at a later date.

and here it is with all the fancy bits I bought with it

pc2h.th.jpg

Okay, If I decide to build my own computer, like you did, how do I put all these components together? or will ebuyer do it for me? what about if I end up forgetten something?

:oh: :raisebrow:

Core 2 Duo at 3.2Ghz and X1950pro. Playing at 1280x1024 and the game is barely playable with everything on LOW and postprocessing OFF. Getting into low 20's way often for my liking and sometimes even lower. How do you guys get the game to run smoothly on those machines is beyond me.

quite truthfully they dont, I dont care what they say I tried to play ARMA 2 on my x1600 and it was un playable even with everything on LOW:rolleyes:

Okay, If I decide to build my own computer, like you did, how do I put all these components together? or will ebuyer do it for me? what about if I end up forgetten something?

tbh, I wouldn't recommend you to build one yourself if you don't know what you are doing regardless how easy people say it is. If you want to learn how to get to know the insides of a PC then I would start by stripping and rebuilding/upgrading an older one.

If you have a pal that knows what he is doing then fair enough.

Alot of people are in the market of building PC's that look good/expensive on paper (like the stickers on the front of the pc's at currys or ebay descriptions) but actually contain crap inside (cheap unbranded ram, psu's etc)

If I were you and I wasn't confident I would go for an OcUk system.

You will have a decent system from somwhere like them and when you learn more yourself and are more confident with PC hardware you will have a good chance of successfully upgrading it yourself.

Am not happy with the DDR2 thgt!! is it a big deal with Arma 2?

nah, that systems good bang for buck!

Edited by o0Jedi0o

tbh, I wouldn't recommend you to build one yourself if you don't know what you are doing regardless how easy people say it is. If you want to learn how to get to know the insides of a PC then I would start by stripping and rebuilding/upgrading an older one.

If you have a pal that knows what he is doing then fair enough.

Alot of people are in the market of building PC's that look good/expensive on paper (like the stickers on the front of the pc's at currys or ebay descriptions) but actually contain crap inside (cheap unbranded ram, psu's etc)

If I were you and I wasn't confident I would go for an OcUk system.

You will have a decent system from somwhere like them and when you learn more yourself and are more confident with PC hardware you will have a good chance of successfully upgrading it yourself.

Thanks for your advice mate, I very much appreciate it

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

nah, that systems good bang for buck!

Yeah, but I've decided to wait until Operation Arrowhead is out, then whatever computer requirements it needs, I will buy it

I said that i'm able to play, not that it run shiny and smoothly :)

EDIT: just checked if i said something misleading, i didn't

lowest dual core? I run arma 2 with a Pentium 4 and a X1650 pro

yes it can run it,

P4 3.2ghz, x1650 pro with everything on normal beside PP 100% fillrate ( last time i changed the video setting it was there ) 2000 viewdistance and i get a decent game, sometimes it crashes in the campaign but self made mission and sometimes a MP play, no big problems so far, just slow down sometimes ( considering that i don't even match the minimal requirement i suppose it's good )

before assuming that other people are liars ( and that pisses me off big time :) ) try read more carefully will you? :p

Edited by Uglyboy

I was playing the game with an amd athlon 3200+, 2gb ram and 7800 gtx, everything in low and at 800x600 :P