Sign in to follow this  
Cobra Pilot

downloading from steam now. whats the first thing i should do?

Just took advantage of the steam 1/2 off deal and i wont have much time to play tonight because its Sunday night. Any good mods I should get first thing?

Also, does anybody know which patch steam starts you off with?

If Steam starts, it will auto-update..should be on v1.04.

Note that patching can take quite a long time, so be prepared to be patient lol.

Also, I would recommend to first play on patched game without any mods

You first will want to know, how it performs, believe me.

Actually, I bought it yesterday (boxed version), installed and patched it today, and will start playing tomorrow :)

Edited by Paajtor

Get to know the vanilla game before worrying about mods. If you're anything like me it'll take you a week to get all the controls bound to your liking.

Oh yeah, I remember that from the demo....was bit overwhelmed by all the controls, so I just started with the infantry-controls, and worry about the rest later.

Mess around with the editor first, just spawn you + 1 of every vehicle and some weapons and mess around abit.

This will let you get used to all the shooting, movement and basic controls without having to worry about messing up, losing the game or getting killed.

go to the editor, Open a new editor for Chenarus and place a soldier (player unit) on the map.

then place an 'Empty' Huey, Offroad Truck and Tank next to it.

Preview

shoot the truck with the tank, then fly around.

:cool:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

The Armory is my favorite place to try out new stuff. I do a lot of single player though.

Grab a six-pack of your favorite suds and practice your sick voice to cancel out work tommorrow.

So by popular demand i play around with vanilla arma2 first. Just for future reference, do i have to do anything special to install mods onto the steam version?

do i have to do anything special to install mods onto the steam version?
Nope, just plop the PBO into the AddOns folder.

Some mods (the larger ones) may require a startup code however.

Just right click the game in your game list, Click properties -> Set Launch Options and Copy/Paste the startup code.

Oh and nice sig ;)

thanks, i had a few to choose from. thought this one was the funniest. But what about mod folders.

But what about mod folders.
Most mods just go into the AddOns folder, some just go in the main ArmA 2 file, it's very simple and most ReadMe's will have step by step instructions on how to install.

No!

Addons does NOT go into the ARMA2/Addons folder! Never do that. It will give you problems later on.

Addons and mods are put into user made folders (or premade by the addon/mod maker). You make a folder called @ADDON (addon name instead of ADDON ofcourse), and inside that folder you make another folder called Addons and inside that one you put the PBO's (addon files).

Start the game vanilla and test around. After that check Armaholic.com/ARMA2 News everyday for addons and missions and more. There are addons and stuff released every single day for this game - for free. :)

Check my signature (how to install addons youtube video) for more info on it. Do NOT use the ARMA2/Addons folder - it is there for the games ORIGINAL addon files. Not custom ones. ;)

Alex

Most mods just go into the AddOns folder, some just go in the main ArmA 2 file, it's very simple and most ReadMe's will have step by step instructions on how to install.

lol...the wrong way^^^^^^^

do like Alex said, cause if something goes wrong, you'd probably be re-installing the whole game again and again

lol...the wrong way^^^^^^^

do like Alex said, cause if something goes wrong, you'd probably be re-installing the whole game again and again

I know, but I've had absolutely no problems so far so it didn't really worry me.

You can just throw them in the addon folder if you like, the problem with it is that if an addon starts failing and preventing you from starting up Arma (which can happen after a patch or with a conflict with another addon) then you have to figure out which one it is, and you have to be able to tell the difference between the ones you installed yourself and the ones installed by the game.

So in other words, modfolder is the best way to do it.

The only thing Alex forgot to mention is that after you create the folder (@Addons, whatever) then you have to change your Arma 2 shortcut to put the switch at the end of it : -mod=@Addons

So, for example, say you had 3 mods (@Addit, @bob, @Hungry) then your shortcut would read :

"C:\prog...whatever...\Arma2.exe" -mod=@Addit;@Bob;@Hungry

As for the mods to try, there's literally hundreds. My personal opinion is that everyone should have Namalsk Island mod

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87834 (make sure you grab the 1.0 and the 1.01 patch as the 1.01 patch improves performance a lot)

But run the vanilla Arma 2 first, play some scenarios, play with the editor for a while, then start downloading mods and custom missions and give it all a bash.

i played around with it last night and figured out how to use the modfolders for steam. just cant figure out how to place things on top of the LHD in the editor.=(

Also, if anybody knows a good clan where i can do alot of flying could you link to their site?