Sign in to follow this  
webman1200

For Flashpoint fans, how many of you believe that...

How many Flashpoint fans here believe that Arma (and Arma2, and the future versions to come out) is the real Flashpoint sequel? Dragon Rising doesn't even come close to Arma, Dragon Rising doesn't even feel like a Flashpoint game! Bohemia has kept the Flashpoint look and feel to both Arma and Arma2, but whoever developed Dragon Rising can't even come close to Bohemia's work.

So, what do you guys think?

I felt that Arma2 did a better job of making me feel like I did when playing OFP.

Operation Dragong Rising (I don't like calling it Operation Flashpoint ;) ) Felt more like a reality mod for Battlefield 2/BadCompany/whatever, while ArmA 2 felt more like an actual realistic game.

So yes, ArmA 2 is the true sequel here.

There is no such thing as a Flashpoint sequel, if you are talking about the game.

If you are talking about the tech behind such game there is Arma and Arma 2 wich can be called.. platform sequels.

ArmA and ArmA II are definitely the spiritual successors to OFP. While not really sequels, they've continued the OFP legacy. DR is not OFP's real sequel, despite what CM might advertise. Officially, it is, but in my opinion, it doesn't deserve such a title.

Arma2 is way better than OFDR as a simulation, it's not even worth discussing. However, the closer battles of OFDR against AI give me more than when trying to setup something similar in Arma2. There is a better sense of a firefight going on. OFDR gives me adequate (not nowhere near as beautiful) graphics at superb framerates. Arma2 is playable only on low textures which looks aweful (for me. I care not what others think :)).

I would like to have maybe 5% of OFDRs features brought into Arma2.

I would like to have maybe 95% of Arma2s features brought into OFDR.

:)

The Flashpoint Sequel is Armed Assault series DUH.

Dragon Rising is not even a Military Simulator its a "tactical shooter"

CM needs to just sell back the name, they ruined it. :mad:

EDIT

Like CarlGustaffa said I agree with him, I would like to see the nicer UI, Weapon assembly, particle effects, voice overs and physics brought to Arma 2, but in OFP I want almost everything from Arma 2 to OFP DR. LOL

Edited by Flash Thunder
EGGS are bad for you

Dragon Rising is not even a Military Simulator its a "tactical shooter"

That's not what they originally promoted it as. They promoted it as a simulator and a direct sequel to the original OFP. As they got closer to launch, they started calling it a "tactical shooter."

Now, a sequel is supposed to build on the previous release that builds on the predecessor They simply took the name, (because that's all they had Rights to apparently) slapped it on a game that has no resemblance what-so-ever to it's namesake. Simply for marketing purposes. Would the game even get nearly the attention that it did if it wasn't for the name? All they wanted was the Branding. Even in their interviews, they don't even distinguish the name in it's entirety. They say "Operation Flashpoint", or simply "Flashpoint." Why they don't say "In Dragon Rising" or "Dragon" or even it's true complete name. They constantly referred to the title as "Flashpoint" or "Operation Flashpoint." Since they weren't licensed to use the engine that BIS created and owns, they had to go with another engine that was sitting on the shelf and only just mod it. They use the same engine in nearly all their games. It's basically a mod. Like taking the Unreal Engine and just mod it.

How can you possibly call it a sequel, when it doesn't use the same engine, doesn't have the look and feel as the original, not a simulation as the original, story content and game play not as the original. It's not even in the same ballpark.

They titled it, the promoted it, to get it the name recognition only, to boost sales. Now that they are under fire for all the above reasons, the drop back and punt and call it a tactical shooter.

Again, this should be in a totally different forum.

Luhgnut;1471847']That's not what they originally promoted it as. They promoted it as a simulator and a direct sequel to the original OFP. As they got closer to launch' date=' they started calling it a "tactical shooter."

Now, a sequel is supposed to build on the previous release that builds on the predecessor They simply took the name, (because that's all they had Rights to apparently) slapped it on a game that has no resemblance what-so-ever to it's namesake. Simply for marketing purposes. Would the game even get nearly the attention that it did if it wasn't for the name? All they wanted was the Branding. Even in their interviews, they don't even distinguish the name in it's entirety. They say "Operation Flashpoint", or simply "Flashpoint." Why they don't say "In Dragon Rising" or "Dragon" or even it's true complete name. They constantly referred to the title as "Flashpoint" or "Operation Flashpoint." Since they weren't licensed to use the engine that BIS created and owns, they had to go with another engine that was sitting on the shelf and only just mod it. They use the same engine in nearly all their games. It's basically a mod. Like taking the Unreal Engine and just mod it.

How can you possibly call it a sequel, when it doesn't use the same engine, doesn't have the look and feel as the original, not a simulation as the original, story content and game play not as the original. It's not even in the same ballpark.

They titled it, the promoted it, to get it the name recognition only, to boost sales. Now that they are under fire for all the above reasons, the drop back and punt and call it a tactical shooter.

Again, this should be in a totally different forum.[/quote']

Exactly they made my sell through "False Advertisement" such a shame really I liked Codemasters now they're on my "No Buy list"

Such scum seeing how they kept saying they were competing with BIS and when the game came out they simply changed the story and f'ed everyone over by buying the same game that nobody wanted to buy in the first place, IE an Arcadey game with NO SIMULATION PERIOD! :mad:

I love BIS and Arma 2 gets my Seal of Approval of actually being the "Ultimate Military Simulator" :)

Dragon Rising is a halfway house between Armed Assault and Call of Duty Modern Warfare in my eyes.. its still enjoyable in its own way, but not a true simulation.

Dragon Rising is a halfway house between Armed Assault and Call of Duty Modern Warfare in my eyes.. its still enjoyable in its own way, but not a true simulation.

If they didn't slap "Operation Flashpoint" on the box, and call it that. Nobody would argue. They could have called it something like "Operation Hardpoint" or "Operation (anything)." The game would be the same, it would still be "ok". So you have to think "Why did they preface "Dragon Rising" with the words "Operation Flashpoint." Only because they wanted the branding.

Here's the rub and why BIS and people like us, defend this hypocracy:

"In the license agreement, Bohemia Interactive expressly reserved the exclusive right to develop sequels to the original OFP game," said Bohemia attorney Leora Herrmann in a pointed press release issued today. "Codemasters also acknowledged that Bohemia owns all the intellectual property in the game--except the words 'Operation Flashpoint'."

So, BIS owns the intellectual property, so really, from the onset, that means you can't use the engine, or really much of anything from the original. They were already in a fail situation but they had to "sell it" to the original fans and believers.. All they own is a name. Face it also, just think how long OFP was out? What age were the people buying the new one? They probably didn't even remember the Original, but heard it was good, and listened to the hard core, long-timers, and drank the same fruit punch.

So, here is CM saying it's a direct sequel, and putting "Operation Flashpoint" all over. So, in my view CM directly created a sequel and stuck Operation Flashpoint all over. That's why people are comparing the two. That's why they are getting the backlash, not only from BIS fans, but their own. The people that bought the game connected "Operation Flashpoint" from previous days, and because they have said, many times, that this is a direct sequel. They bought into it, believing with the mind set of "BIS is a small company, and they did Arma and Arma2, (they secretly drool over Arma2, but maybe the system requirements are too steep) so since CM is a bigger company with larger budget's IT HAS TO BE AS GOOD AS BETTER." Coupled with the fact, that for months, (even up until launch), they were "leaking" in game footage of all the awesomeness. I think people believed it would have the AI and Depth of the Original, but "Man, look at those graphics!"

Heck, I did. I was somewhat excited, but skeptical. Any company that promotes as heavily that their title, and hyping it.... something isn't quite right.

What they got, was a extremely watered down tactical shooter. There's really nothing in it, that isn't in any COD game. Now is there? COD4 and others based on that engine, I feel are a far superior product. I admit I liked them, but Dragon Rising, I feel doesn't even live up to the CODuties. Seriously, they were pretty good. Not simulators, but we weren't looking for a simulator. Just good gameplay. Dragon Rising people were looking for a simulator with COD type graphics. What they got was a shell, no depth, no multiplayer as such. Just a shoddy attempt to enter into the "tactical shooter genre. Of which with a few little goodies, they haven't done that hasn't been done before and better.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

actually there is no OFP sequel yet, if it would be, it would be few years after 1985, something like action in the campaign starts in 1989... most probably last years of humanity in BI created engine :) But...

... since we have some uber advanced Arma2 engine with it's enourmous capabilitys it wouldn't be that hard for community to create TeH REAL OFP Sequel =]

till then Arma2 is the closest to the sequel(out of arma1 and arma2 games, dr isn't even worth mentioning) :)

oh yeah, where was I?

Even though I own both games. (And I haven't started playing Dragon Rising yet) I wouldn't think of OFP2 as namly that. Even though its named OFP 2, I am not expecting it to be. Had to try it though, but CM should have an e-mail sendt their way soon. Just using my small oportunity as a costumer to complain.

ARMA II feels like and plays like OFP. But what I liked in OFP and both add-ons was the great campains. I am afraid that both ARMA titles simply lacks the great stories and caracters as OFP had. ARMA guys are so hard-asses, while in OFP, they were just like I would guess guys in their early twenties would be in an unexpected war situation.

actually there is no OFP sequel yet, if it would be, it would be few years after 1985, something like action in the campaign starts in 1989... most probably last years of humanity in BI created engine :) But...

... since we have some uber advanced Arma2 engine with it's enourmous capabilitys it wouldn't be that hard for community to create TeH REAL OFP Sequel =]

till then Arma2 is the closest to the sequel(out of arma1 and arma2 games, dr isn't even worth mentioning) :)

oh yeah, where was I?

oh this is GOOD. I didn't know they were in with Virtuality. I loved that thing.

Strictly speaking, ArmA 2 is Game 2, which was developed as the sequel to Operation Flashpoint.

gamemechanics and gameplay wise Arma games are way way much closer to Ofp than Dragon rising is...

Hell the chopper where horrible to control in D.R :P

I've watched some videos of Dragon Rising, and I have to say, it looks good... but it just seems too arcade game to me.

for me , the natural succesor of OFP is Arma 1 , and Arma 2 is the natural succesor of Arma 1 :bounce3: ( and DR is the bastard son that will inherit all the relatives legacy :D )

The only reason why ArmA is not a direct sucessor of OFP (as in being called OFP 2) is because BIS lost the rights to the brand name (which remained property of Codemasters), so ArmA is in fact the real sucessor to OFP

What CodeMasters did was to shamelessly plug into the fan base BIS had amassed with OFP and ArmA to release their 'competition' title whose only resemblance to the original OFP is it's name...

but as of now no other game studio has even come close to developing something as uncompromisingly realistic and all-encompassing as the OFP/ArmA series

Cheers

Dragon Rising is a failure. It's a half-hearted console port that doesn't do the Operation Flashpoint name any justice.

You guys should hear what they say about ArmA 2 on the Codemasters forums... It's all a load of crap. Some people actually call Dragon Rising a simulator! Yeah, I laughed when I read that.

ArmA 2 has the soul of Operation Flashpoint, and it is by FAR the better game!

Even though its named OFP 2....

Its not named OFP2. They tried to name it so but they wasnt allowed as it is not a secuel to OFP. Thats why they changed the name to OFP: DR.