Sign in to follow this  
nats

BDRM how do I control this thing?

Been trying a user mission Airfield Attack or soemthing with BDRMs and I just am at a loss how to control the BDRM with anything other than being in the driver seat or providing waypoints all the time. Its impossible to tell whcih way the turret is facing or the vehicle is facing. The drive controls are difficult to move around with. Its about time BI started making these vehicles easy to control and with a reasonable standard between them all. At the moment every one seems different and some are far better than others to play with. Perosnally I hate using waypoints I would love to be able to stay in the gunner station and be allocated targets by the commander and control the vehicle movement at the same time - but the game just doesnt seem to allow that. Play the gunner and you have no idea where any targets are. You cant control the movement of some of the vehicles like the BDRM from the commander seat either as theres no way to know which way you are facing.

And unless I learn russian I am hard presed in a fight to know what the hell is going on either. We speak English here you know - would it have been difficult to add in the of English speaking Russians?

Vehicles in ARMA2 are just all a bit of a mess arent they?

Edited by nats

its the simulator nature of the game that makes the vehicles actually feel a bit different form eachother to control :)

Imo I like it that all vehicles has their special feeling when you drive and shoot from them :)

It would have been boring if all vehicles would have exact same speed, exact same handling ect..

Nope.

Someone's never driven a Humvee.

Commander control for wheeled vehicles is pretty difficult to do. But if you are commanding, give an order and just, err, remember, which way is forward. It shouldn't be too hard to tell, given the movement of the ground and road.

But I usually use first person for vehicle turrets and switch perspectives after I locate a target. If that's too unrealistic, turn out.

And you can read the subtitles of what the Russians are saying. If it's actually urgent, reading is faster than listening with English too. You will eventually learn the Russian words for 'man' 'APC' and 'helicopter,' along with the stuff they shout for cease fire orders or calls for a medic.

Well, I sure wouldn't mind a magical gui display indicating turret direction for the vehicles occupants, especially on the lower difficulties. Turning out is not always an option (not there, it may not work), and 3rd person might be turned off. Having to get out of a vehicle to see where the turret is pointing? Somehow I think in real life they have some indication in the vehicle.

A bit exaggerated I know, but it indicates my frustration at times :) I will only accept drivers position, and I will vote against utilizing the vehicle in the first place since it will only make us get killed faster.

BRDM is like the easiest vechile in game to control. hit the number pad "Enter" on your keyboard to go third person if your having a hard time in first person

There should be no standard between the vehicles. They all handle differently because they are supposed to. Suggestions for making the already lacking vehicle simulation worse will not get you points from most around here. As far as the commander seat goes, just use the QWEASD keys to command them around manually just like you were driving. Also, if you want a game where you can be the gunner, yet drive then go play BF2. You are in the wrong forums for these kind of suggestions. Oh wait, you are in the wrong part of the forum for any suggestions actually.

Use third person view for all the vehicles, it's a lot easier. I only use first person when I have to shoot something.

Use third person view for all the vehicles, it's a lot easier. I only use first person when I have to shoot something.

Yes it is but I like playing the game as a simulation which is what it is advertised as - not as a strategy game. I would like to be able to control the vehicles from inside and with a bit more information such as a radar in the gunner station and a hull and turret icon for each vehicle I would probably be able to do it. But like I say all the vehicles are different - does make them quite interesting for the few minutes that you last until you get into a hot zone and get blown up because you cant see anything or do anything quickly enough.

Vehicles are a mess in this game - and have always been. Was really hoping BI would have addressed this by now. But its all irrelevant if they cant get the graphic sharding sorted becuase I will be taking it back to the shop in a few days anyway. Shame real shame.

Edited by nats

Good riddance. I am sick and tired of people demanding BIS make the game easier whilst killing the realism. BRDM's do not have radars. A turret to hull position indicator wouldn't be a bad idea as in real life you can tell how it is oriented. However, this radar on any ground vehicle business is crap and they need to be removed for the tanks as well.

Yes it is but I like playing the game as a simulation which is what it is advertised as - not as a strategy game. I would like to be able to control the vehicles from inside and with a bit more information such as a radar in the gunner station and a hull and turret icon for each vehicle I would probably be able to do it. But like I say all the vehicles are different - does make them quite interesting for the few minutes that you last until you get into a hot zone and get blown up because you cant see anything or do anything quickly enough.

Vehicles are a mess in this game - and have always been. Was really hoping BI would have addressed this by now. But its all irrelevant if they cant get the graphic sharding sorted becuase I will be taking it back to the shop in a few days anyway. Shame real shame.

you want to play the game as a sim; but yet you want some magical radar for vehicles?? Also, BRDM's are for recon...not blasting thru a "hot zone". And 3rd, Arma is an Infantry combat sim, not a tank, jet, motorcycle, bike, car, etc. sim. While it would be nice for realistic flight/damage models, the main focus is infantry right now. Maybe in the future they'll be improved (either by mods or the devs)

And 3rd, Arma is an Infantry combat sim, not a tank, jet, motorcycle, bike, car, etc. sim.

My ArmA2 packing says:

"ARMA II - Die Ultimative Militärsimulation"

"ARMA II - The ultimative military simulation"

I would say, this includes vehicles too.

MfG Lee ;)

Press ctrl+v if you mean the blurry window on some vehicles, otherwise..

..just learn to drive ;)

A turret to hull position indicator wouldn't be a bad idea as in real life you can tell how it is oriented. However, this radar on any ground vehicle business is crap and they need to be removed for the tanks as well.

I agree on the indicator. It is a must since in some vehicles the only way to drive is in window mode which doesn't give you a compass and where the commander is forced with a scope, also gives you no compass. Turn out feature is in some vehicles broken (i.e. AI is causing problems), or the vehicle simply don't have this option at all. Many serious players don't use 3rd person, so that's not an option. An indicator is needed.

No to radar on all ground vehicles, that just doesn't make sense. But I want it on tanks. Maybe difficulty should dictate weather or not different colors should work. By taking it away completely without even having proper sights, you wouldn't stand a chance against AI spotting abilities.

Someone's never driven a Humvee.

Commander control for wheeled vehicles is pretty difficult to do. But if you are commanding, give an order and just, err, remember, which way is forward. It shouldn't be too hard to tell, given the movement of the ground and road.

But I usually use first person for vehicle turrets and switch perspectives after I locate a target. If that's too unrealistic, turn out.

And you can read the subtitles of what the Russians are saying. If it's actually urgent, reading is faster than listening with English too. You will eventually learn the Russian words for 'man' 'APC' and 'helicopter,' along with the stuff they shout for cease fire orders or calls for a medic.

Did you mean to reply to me or TOP with this?

A turret to hull position indicator wouldn't be a bad idea as in real life you can tell how it is oriented.

I agree with you, mate!