Sign in to follow this  
evolve

Why ArmA soldiers rolled-up sleeves and no gloves?

So many soldiers rolled-up sleeves and no protective gloves in ArmA2.

But most soldiers are full sleeves and gloves in real battlefield,

even light-armed rifleman!

Chernarus is perpetual summer place? That's a gripe point since ArmA1...

Could you add full sleeves and gloves version soldiers in next patch BI?;)

I'm tired of waiting for high-quality addons.

because we like varieties?... though I wonder why marines didn't tuck their trousers in their boots? like the CDF and Russians.. or even the Chedaki

I have no problems with soldiers with rolled up sleeves. I hope BIS focusses more on important things like more realism for weapons & vehicles and better flightmodels with working MFD's and countermeasures, better performance, better AI, better damagemodel, etc. (ArmA 2 is already great, lets make it even better!)

But of course you can wish for soldiers with rolled down sleeves :-)

Leave the rolled up sleeves and gloves to the modders :). I've got a few plans for my SF units and US Army units.

That's one of the points which should have very low priority at this time.

There are other problems that must be necessarily fixed first!

because we like varieties?... though I wonder why marines didn't tuck their trousers in their boots? like the CDF and Russians.. or even the Chedaki

Arma 2 actually portrays this detail accurately. US Marines wear their trousers bloused over the top of their boots.

So many soldiers rolled-up sleeves and no protective gloves in ArmA2.

But most soldiers are full sleeves and gloves in real battlefield,

even light-armed rifleman!

Chernarus is perpetual summer place? That's a gripe point since ArmA1...

Could you add full sleeves and gloves version soldiers in next patch BI?;)

I'm tired of waiting for high-quality addons.

I would like gloves too, simply because the hand textures are horrible, some of the textures overloop each other plus the hands look like they're rubber or something they lack any dirt/details of normal skin.

One thing I would like is improved hand textures, that have dirt on them and what not.

Should they have the glove cut-off for the trigger finger too? So many details, so little time.

Gloves are not mandatory issue for the military. People buy them according to their own prerogative. Also, rolling up sleeves is uncommon in Afghan and Iraq because it is dry heat. This means the human body is quite capable of throwing off that heat so long as it has proper circulation. Rolling up your sleeves cuts down on that inner uniform circulation so they do not do it. However, rolled up sleeves in hot and humid areas is a common practice. I guess the assumption is that it is hot enough in Chenarus for them to do as such. BIS could try to make gun gloves, as they are pretty common. The major issue is that each army only has quite a limited selection in models. Mix this reality with the fact there are hundreds of different types of gloves that are being used in combat now and you get little desire to actually make them.

Taking a look through Iraq and Afghan photos shows pretty clearly that the US Army is about half and half in terms of those with gloves and those without, as for Marines I tend to see a lower number of gloves. ACE1 did include a type of mechanic glove that is available in any major market store here in the US for the soldiers, actually quite popular in the military. If you have a personal desire for gloves on your model you can create an XML with gloves that can be pretty convincing.

As much as I like to always give the most detailed and discrete comments, I have to say:

I would like gloves too, simply because the hand textures are horrible, some of the textures overloop each other plus the hands look like they're rubber or something they lack any dirt/details of normal skin.

this is spot on, I really have to quote this. Hands detail brings A2 back to stone-age when compared to newer military games. Granted, I know there are lots of differences in both the engines and the purpouse of these but I have to say, maybe it's my brain being cabled differently but: combat gloves and "fat strong glove-y hands" (lol!) for me really add the impression of holding that badass rifle, ready to engage.

Binkowsky is right, the modders can easily fill this gap I think, you only need half of a veteran modder like Bink or Aeneas (just to name two!) to address this. And everyone can add/remove the mod to their liking, according to taste.

Now that Robert Hammer is about to release the Remington ACR in his Hk416 pack..I want cool units to use those :) Some days I am just too arcade-ish :)

I am available for making replacement configs, Bink! Anytime, let's glove the situation (lol again)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/remington-acr.png

The image is >100kb and therefore an infringment to the forum policy. If you want to see the badass glovey real-soldier, you have to copy-paste. You're not missing much except, glovey stuff.

Edited by Reezo

I think this has changed though in Operation Arrowhead? I think all the screens we were shown so far shows soldiers with their sleeves unrolled and with gloves.

I think all the screens we were shown so far shows soldiers with their sleeves unrolled and with gloves.

Fantastic!

I hope that the trousers are properly modelled in Operation Arrowhead. In my experiences with the United States Navy, most people either blouse or tuck in their trousers into their boots for safety and aesthetic reasons, so the trousers do not get snagged on objects, and the uniform appears more professional.

Edited by Laqueesha

I hope that the trousers are properly modelled in Operation Arrowhead. In my experience with the United States Navy, most people either blouse or tuck in their trousers into their boots for safety and aesthetic reasons, so the trousers do not get snagged on objects, and the uniform appears more professional.

This.

Fix the hand textures

add hands to the player customization Interface, so we can add gloves whatnot

More units need backpacks on,canteens/camel backs/ammo bags etc.

:)

because with rolled sleeves you are more sexi :D

and with protecting gloves you are less sexi :)

arma has it where it looks like the trousers are bloused, which is cool because we do that but, when you are in a combat zone, or even in a training zone and run around a bunch your trouser's become un-bloused. so many people "hard-tuck" their trousers.

God this thread reminded me of another thread at the Red Orchestra forums...

"NO the Germans NEVER used ROLLED UP SLEEVES! It's unrealistic! ZOMG!" lol :)

It's become quite the joke over there hehe.

Gloves are an issued item, and usually "required" by the chain of command as proper PPE before you leave the wire. It all depends on the NSNs your supply sergeants have. Though some Soldiers/Marines choose to ignore it, it is required.

Believe it or not, having more of your skin covered is actually more ideal, as it keeps direct sunlight off your body, and allows your body to cool. Your body sweats to keep you cool, if you're retaining the moisture and not allowing it to evaporate you don't get as hot, dehydrate becuase you continued to sweat more than you could drink, and die(the ultimate killer of the desert, not the heat). Look at pictures of Afghans, they wear fricken wool hats, scarfs, and man jammies in 140 degree heat. I rolled up my sleeps for comfort, and so they didn't get snagged on stuff. I rolled the cuff inward, usually once or twice(though many first sergeants have yelled...damn pogues).

Gloves are an issued item, and usually "required" by the chain of command as proper PPE before you leave the wire. It all depends on the NSNs your supply sergeants have. Though some Soldiers/Marines choose to ignore it, it is required.

and then there are those douchy higher ups who demand you ware your gloves and eye pro at all times INSIDE the wire :rolleyes:

and then there are those douchy higher ups who demand you ware your gloves and eye pro at all times INSIDE the wire :rolleyes:

Safety first, roger?

"c'mere you! What? You don't think you need to wear your PPE inside the wire? How about you get in the front leaning rest, until you learn the importance of your PPE".

I hate when the fobbits tell you what to do period. Ran into a 1SG at the PX in Bagram, just come off my FOB, en route home for leave, and he yelled at me for having my cuffs rolled up. What he didn't yell at me for were my unauthorized patches. Some people...

Oh god, is this very thing giving me such a headache right now. To the chow hall, to the gym, driving to the fuel point... Makes me wonder if some people remember what it's like to run missions all the time anymore at all.

I wouldn't mind wearing badass gloves and tac goggles all the time in Arma 2 instead of wearing fluffy hand models ;)

I wouldn't mind wearing badass gloves and tac goggles all the time in Arma 2 instead of wearing fluffy hand models ;)

Playdoh hand models with horrible textures

OVER