Sign in to follow this  
Ludovico Technique

Monsters, zombies and so on

Nice. But I must say they are too pale, make them darker. And model the wounds and blood mess off of the hooker, she is the best.

If BIS had at least a knife attack in the game, then this would be perfect. The biggest problem is actually to get the AI to move close enough to the target to actually perform the attack. Collision avoidance priority prevents the engine from doing that.

This should definitely make a dent in the normal Chernarus Life.. Drop one infected into the mix, lol! If you would, Charon Productions, try to make this as much a module as you can. I'd love to see this possibly, oh, randomly appear on the less strict servers in the middle of a Domination or Berserk map. OOohhh the twisted possibilities with Warfare and command structure modules... *sigh*

Very welcome break from the rank and file tactics. Thank you.

Edit: Just a random thought.. What if the newly infected turned into the fast moving 'infected'. While being dangerous, they still are capable of being saved by the antidote, while after some time they die and turn into the slow zombies we all love to fear. Just a thought.

Edited by Scrub

Script infects the whole island of Chernarus in under 2 hours assisted by the ambient civilian module :smiley-evil:

This is actually a mission idea by it self, arginate the infection before it spread too much, easy to do and funny to play :bounce3:

looking good mate, some things though on those skins, bloods waaay to bright, real blood is actualy quite dark, you can also edit the normal maps (NOHQ) to make them appear as actual gashes in the flesh (see the "runner from hell" a few pages back) also make the eyes either some freaky colour such as red, or even just flat black, with a TOUCH of white in one corner.

best of luck with it all mate :)

If BIS had at least a knife attack in the game, then this would be perfect. The biggest problem is actually to get the AI to move close enough to the target to actually perform the attack. Collision avoidance priority prevents the engine from doing that.

In ArmA1 i ended up experimenting with forcing units to walk to their targets with playmoves until they were really close so they got to their targets faster. (Yeah, i dont have it anymore and i never released it so you will have to write it yourself)

If your z's get close enough then you can try to do the same, maybe combine it with setdir if necessary.

(My zombies seem so totally confused that trying this isnt even worth it. :p )

In ArmA1 i ended up experimenting with forcing units to walk to their targets with playmoves until they were really close so they got to their targets faster. (Yeah, i dont have it anymore and i never released it so you will have to write it yourself)

If your z's get close enough then you can try to do the same, maybe combine it with setdir if necessary.

(My zombies seem so totally confused that trying this isnt even worth it. :p )

Good point!

That is most certainly the best compromise you can squeeze out of the engine to do it with playmoves. I`ll experiment with that too.

About the confusion, i believe issueing too many domove commands in a short time confuses the engine and messes up the fsm system too much.

Since the Chernarus map is that big, i work with a waypoint-based system that works pretty well and allows massive amounts of zombies because not each zombie is his own group.

It has its cons too, they tend to focus on one victim primarily but had it running overnight and they were still running from town to town searching for victims, which is quite satisfying already. :slayer:

They use knowsabout, but the engine had them running by like 1 meter from a human and the knowsabout-value didn`t go higher than 0.05 (!) lol, so it`s set to if they know just anything about a human or not, but at least it`s not the typical lame hunt script that uses the target position directly as a waypoint. They will "smell" which town to go to, but will patrol it until they know anything about someone and then attack.

Alpha!?! Hell, chuck a script snippet and it'll get inhaled.. Please. :D

The chances of such a mod actually working on the 1st page seemed pretty grim, but does this look like a real possibility now?

20 minutes after infection:

1256846224038721300.jpg

After a couple of hours:

1256846322064626300.jpg

Still some AI-groups get stuck into their own FSMs, no idea how to fix it, if it could be fixed at all hehe.

So the infection spreads pretty okay now. :SpiningDemon:

will it be compatible with custom islands?

and...are they zombie or infected?huge difference cos zombies are slow and weak,infected are fast and powerful...

and I didnt understand how it will work:total conversion?modules?...?

Well in what i did there, i have not used any parameters that would only work on Chernarus, instead locations and map-related attributes are used to identify towns. So i am certain it works on any map. It will be a module.

I don`t want to mess with animations, if there is anyone who is up to making some custom Romero-style animations for this, i can include it as an optional style. Right now they move more like infected and the presence of an antidote suggests that it is an infection.

They look a lot like in Zack Snyder`s movie. Not sure if Romero zombie-bitten humans could actually be cured. And at the Romero speed, spreading zombies over Chernarus would take a week. :)

It is creating more suspense impho when they run up to you really fast, you need good shooting skills, because every shot MUST be a headshot then or they will rip you to pieces.

For slow zombies, only limited ammo creates a challenge, but i think its lame to play a mission where you constantly have to look for ammo instead of firing endless rounds at them.

For slow zombies, only limited ammo creates a challenge, but i think its lame to play a mission where you constantly have to look for ammo instead of firing endless rounds at them.

I know what you mean but I hope to have an option to choose their speed.

it would guarantee a lot of additional ways to mission-making,e.g.:imagine what would happen combining this module(with low speed)with a "standard"mission...

I know what you mean but I hope to have an option to choose their speed.

it would guarantee a lot of additional ways to mission-making,e.g.:imagine what would happen combining this module(with low speed)with a "standard"mission...

If slow zombies are really so favoured by everybody, it would be no problem to include a slow zombie addon too. Haven`t tested that in Arma2, but in Arma1 it worked.

ah....I was thinking it could be just an option not another addon(another aelin's big mistake(((((((((()

Should unarmed human AI try to escape the zombies when they identify them? Maybe also with knowsabout. It looks a bit strange that they just stand there right next to a group of zombies shredding another citizen and don`t try to run. They could try to hide in buildings maybe ?

Could be en/disabled with a global variable.

Fixed the infection spread script, the stuck AI was due to an unconsidered condition in the script. Now, there is no passive groups anymore.

They all hunt and hunt and hunt :devil:

Running zombies shouldn't be an only headshot kill. In the movies or games, the running zombies aren't zombies but just infected that are really angry. They should have just a little more health than the civilians IMO.

Running zombies shouldn't be an only headshot kill. In the movies or games, the running zombies aren't zombies but just infected that are really angry. They should have just a little more health than the civilians IMO.

That`s not what i meant. You need like 7 body/legs/hands shots to kill one, but only 1 headshot (in 90% of the cases due to engine errors).

So the more headshots you score the faster you bring an attacking group down.

If you fail to have a good headshot quote then they`ll overrun you.

There is a lot of dispute about how many shots kill, so i probably will implement a global variable that determines 3 strengths of zombies/infected. So "weak" means 2-3 torso shots to kill,"middle" 5 and "strong" 7 or more.

Edited by Charon Productions

There is a lot of dispute about how many shots kill, so i probably will implement a global variable that determines 3 strengths of zombies/infected. So "weak" means 2-3 torso shots to kill,"middle" 5 and "strong" 7 or more.

I think this sounds like a excellent idea, would be sweet if it could be controlled by clicking out a game logic or using the new module system that arma 2 has. :)

( can any mod help me repair my failed quote? )