Sign in to follow this  
MangoForLife

Bad things about Arma2

- BIS is wasting their time concentrating efforts on AI development, the FUTURE is more HUMAN players on a server. Nobody WANTS to play against AI. It's just that the map is EMPTY.

- Get rid of those silly imaginary Crossahairs. Wtf.

- Make it IMPOSSIBLE to use any sort of MHQ/Teleporting around the map. Why did you design such a beautifull map in the first place?!

- Respawns/Lives should be restricted & limited. On all game modes. THAT'S Realism.

The future of ArmA shoulden't neccaserally be left in the hands of the Community. There COULD be a better balance. All I see the "community" doing is playing Run & Gun Evolution and Domination - It was pretty bad in Arma 1, I think it's gottten worse in Arma 2.

Sure there's some clans playing on closed servers, and there's mission makers galore... But 99% of people online are playing suck ass teleporting/respawning bullshit. JUST LIKE Call of Duty.

Most of you will tell me that it's not BIS's bussiness. I think they should wake up, stop catering to the lowest denominator, and take SOME of the reins back into their hands and AWAY from the community.

Right now the majority of what's ACTUALLY BEING DONE with their game has nothing to do with "Realism" or "Tactics"... Run & Gun all the way.

:mad:

Edited by MangoForLife

Oh great, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Let's make this quick.

- BIS is wasting their time concentrating efforts on AI development, the FUTURE is more HUMAN players on a server. Nobody WANTS to play against AI. It's just that the map is EMPTY.

BIS does not have direct control over the number of players on public servers. And you'll find the AI is actually very important to most people.

Set difficulty to expert.

- Make it IMPOSSIBLE to use any sort of MHQ/Teleporting around the map. Why did you design such a beautifull map in the first place?!

Not possible without lobotomizing the engine. This has been discussed before.

- Respawns/Lives should be restricted & limited. On all game modes. THAT'S Realism.

Can easily be done if the map maker wants to.

The future of ArmA shoulden't neccaserally be left in the hands of the Community. There COULD be a better balance. All I see the "community" doing is playing Run & Gun Evolution and Domination - It was pretty bad in Arma 1, I think it's gottten worse in Arma 2.

The community does what the community wants to do. People obviously enjoy playing Evolution and Domination. So let them.

Sure there's some clans playing on closed servers, and there's mission makers galore... But 99% of people online are playing suck ass teleporting/respawning bullshit. JUST LIKE Call of Duty.

Some may say that's not BIS bussiness. I think they should wake up, stop catering to the lowest denominator, and take some SOME of the reins back into their hands and AWAY from the community.

I think you'll be pretty much alone with that opinion. BIS games have always been about the community. If you can't accept that, you're obviously in the wrong place.

Right now the majority of what's ACTUALLY BEING DONE with their game has nothing to do with "Realism" or "Tactics"... Run & Gun all the way.

That's public play for you.

You're essentially demanding that BIS step in and change the entire community to suit your vision of the way the game should be played. Egocentric much?

It's funny how community-made missions are rambo-orientated. All the major missions (Evo, Dom, Berz, AAS and even Warfare) push players to play alone. Of course you can find a clan and play tactical.. But that's hard. Running in Evo is simple.

I agree with Mango: developers should force players to play together. It's not easy to make N men work as a squad.. Look at Left4Dead. That's the game where you simply can't play alone. We need to balance the game and force teamplay.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

The community does what the community wants to do. People obviously enjoy playing Evolution and Domination. So let them.

Ppl buy the game, go online, play evo with zero teamwork, abandon the game. I personally think Evo is an evil.

Look at Project Reality, people play teamplay in public servers there, because the missions/maps are made so. So it can be done and squad based domination, sort of similar to PR system can work too.

There is absolutely no need to visit servers with missions you don't like.

Let freedom be free.

Gamers have since ever been running in closed worlds ... but not in BI games: they are vastly open.

Why do you care what others do?

I myself don't like no-tactic gameplay - but after three exciting hours of cti I find myself ready for a fast shooter and I am happy it'll be there, even in Arma2!

"The rest maddogx have it all covered."

lol i assume this guy is being sarcastic.

these are the absolute worst ideas i have ever heard as far as 'advice' for this game goes.

btw, here are some creative ideas you can try yourself at home

-turn the reticle off

-dont 'teleport'

-play online not against the computer

-limit your lives to whatever you choose before forcing restart of mission

and in my house ill do all the stuff u hate.

so hey, its fixed! i wish my complaints were that easy to address.

unfriendly community :(

just typical bis fanboys defending whatever is said against the game :)

Has the OP invested anything? Rented a server? Made a mod? Worked out how to turn his own crosshair off even? No. He'd just rather engage in uninformed whinging to the effect that it is up to BIS to force everybody to play as he would wish, what sort of reaction should he get?

oo realy?which side of fanboy iam?i really like arma 2 but after reading this , the bis is good but the community of 'lazy' admin getting out of hand spreading its bad influence for banning newbies :mad:

[Edited] lol,misinterpreted about your reply,sorry,i just pissed off about this new public ban list,tolerance for newbies will ya admin?

Edited by Duboix

Has the OP invested anything? Rented a server? Made a mod? Worked out how to turn his own crosshair off even? No. He'd just rather engage in uninformed whinging to the effect that it is up to BIS to force everybody to play as he would wish, what sort of reaction should he get?

He probably expected something more than rambo missions with respawn to be played in a mil sim.

- BIS is wasting their time concentrating efforts on AI development

go and play Counter Strike

and leave battlefield military simulator for old OFP community

oo realy?which side of fanboy iam?i really like arma 2 but after reading this , the bis is good but the community of 'lazy' admin getting out of hand spreading its bad influence for banning newbies

cause some newbie deserve ban for idiotism

Arma is not CS nor other CoDs

I personally think Evo is an evil.

I don't like Evo or Domination either, to be honest. :)

What this game really needs is a game mode that's realistic and actively encourages teamplay, but is also accessable to new players. What we don't need is BIS going hardcore nazi on our ass and forcing everyone to play as the OP sees fit.

Nobody WANTS to play against AI. It's just that the map is EMPTY.

Funny enough it seems most people want just that, go check the server list ;)

Join a veteran server, you can also turn crosshair off your own end... :eek: wtf

For god sake stop joining Domination servers *sigh*

Again, stop joining servers running Evo/Dom.

This is completely up to the hosters to decide. Personally i've hosted many games with only 1 live, guess what many people start crying restart after waiting 10-15min, when that does not happen they leave.

Most of you will tell me that it's not BIS's bussiness. I think they should wake up, stop catering to the lowest denominator, and take SOME of the reins back into their hands and AWAY from the community.

Yet again... stay away from Evo/Dom servers :eek:

IMHO you have very confused ideas about the community ...

you have got to be kidding. nothing is even being said against the game. he is asking an open ended albeit frustrating game to become closed and even more frustrating. it is just nonsense.

Nobody, eh? Better check this threads responses. Our own clan ONLY plays coop games against AI. Coop, and support for large scale such, is probably the one thing that makes this game unique.

That's too general. I agree on rifles, and marksman/sniper rifles especially like in OFDR). But by removing it (such as by difficulty setting) you eliminate locking indicators -- bad move. As our own server only run light infantry missions, we've turned off these for all difficulties. And when we visit other servers, an addon kicks in removing these from all rifles. Sad how many servers won't accept such addons though (or any addon?).

Play missions that don't use "teleporters". Personally I love the concept of Domination, just not how it is played publicly when few knows each other. It's bound to get disorganized. Domination involves too much dying and distant locations to totally get rid of teleporters. Overly access to hardware is what makes this mission popular. Not realistic in any ways, but the crowd seems to dictate what is made. Not you. Not me.

Ehh... What? Realism is one single life. Nothing else. I'll agree that dying should be penalized harder. Longer respawn times (maybe dynamic, *can* be done via scripts). But eliminating respawns? No way, it ruins the gameplay. And for game modes such as Domination, it is much needed.

You're failing to see beyond that which default Domination delivers. It can be customized to hearts content. Our server has almost no enemy armor, and rewards are limited to HMMWVs (side missions), and AAVs and LAVs (main targets). This means it's not a hardware fest, and default setup is with limited weapons turned on (more M136s than default though). Naturally, enemy vehicles are locked and can't be used by friendly forces. Island defense system no longer contains heavies (chance of BMPs though), but usually cars and BRDMs. Backpack (exploitable) turned off by default. And many many other small changes.

THAT's the essense of Domination. Customizability. It's DESIGNED to be changed. What is really sad is that most servers doesn't change the rules, but use it as it comes out of the box, with almost all aspects and features of it enabled.

IWhat this game really needs is a game mode that's realistic and actively encourages teamplay, but is also accessable to new players. What we don't need is BIS going hardcore nazi on our ass and forcing everyone to play as the OP sees fit.

Completely agree. My only problem is that those capable of writing "game modes" are tied up in projects for PvP/TvT games. Coop game modes is sadly left behind. Which leaves us with "nothing" but Domination and Evolution, which in its default setups sort of encourages players to be stupid. I have many ideas for a coop game mode (several pages long), that heavily revolves on the PR mod idea of squads, kits, and scaled missions (depending on player count). There ARE realistic missions around, and sometimes we play them. But for the most part, we play respawn missions as it seems to be most enjoyed among the people I play with. If I want hardcore (sometimes I do), I'll just join TG (well, did back in Aram1 days, not sure if they still exist actually :))

Worked out how to turn his own crosshair off even?

Please enlighten me. Keep in mind most servers doesn't allow mods as sole means of fighting cheating/hacking.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

hay MangoForLife try playing COD or Counterstrike (i like both but prefere ARMA2)or Opration flashpoint 2 and then try and sya your coments agane i thik you will find that Arma2 is the DEFINATIVE milatery sim. Oh whie i am here anyone have a skin for the SAS I have a plan for a mission that I hope will be very good.

Plenty of people play exclusively against AI, me included. Suggesting that AI development be dropped is a really, really dumb suggestion. The AI is easily half of what makes ArmA2 great. There are already plenty of MP games that do not employ AI.

I think they should wake up, stop catering to the lowest denominator, and take SOME of the reins back into their hands and AWAY from the community.

You seriously believe BIS are catering for the lowest common denominator? I'm astonished. If it were it would be the game you apparently want it to be, with all servers full to capacity.

Completely agree. My only problem is that those capable of writing "game modes" are tied up in projects for PvP/TvT games. Coop game modes is sadly left behind.

Why don't you try asking ? :) The "PVP" scriptpack has supported CO-OP for some time now. In the past I have worked on a PR game-mode but the 'sponsor' dropped out. My only requirement really is that features should be usable for both CO-OP and PVP.

*Edit* Oh and it's my observation (not aimed at you CarlGustaffa) that those who are most vehement about the lack of their preferred missions/gametypes seem to be the least interesterested in doing anything about it.

Wow. Just wow.

Don't worry, the problematic ones will usually either learn after the first few bans or leave.

The future of ArmA shoulden't neccaserally be left in the hands of the Community. There COULD be a better balance.

In short.. make a game I want but the majority of players don't choose.