Sign in to follow this  
.kju

PROPER R vegetation resistance - test version

=== It does

* replace all a2 trees with one OFP resistance tree model.

* replace all a2 bushes with one OFP resistance bush model.

They are now scaled with the correct height of their source counterparts.

In PvP they are unfair, as the vegetation object may be more or less wide though.

=== WIP

This is a test version.

* Small texture issue (help needed):

0005.jpg

* Way too may sway on bushes and trees.

* According to Alex72: AI does not recognize them as cover/concealment.

* Bushes are making no sound while moving through them.

* You can fly through the trees with air units.

* The trees and bushes do not cast shadows on the ground.

=== Credits

Sincere thanks to T_D and his VegeScale tool to make this possible!

=== Download

You can use the dummy account: guest//guest.

ArmA II plants2 replacement:

Working for Utes, Chernarus and any 3rd party world using the ArmA II bushes or trees.

* Resistance Vegetation Replacement (pbo + sign)

* PROPER_test_version.bikey used

=== Your job

* Feedback about FPS impact.

* Feedback about visual impression.

* Tests in relation to stutter/mini freezes while fast movement / RAM drive.

* Someone willing to fix the texture issues.

* Someone willing to add shadow LODs.

=== Screens

ArmA II standard look

New:

0002.jpg 0002.jpg

0003.jpg 0004.jpg

Edited by kju

Good addon i have ~20FPS boost :)

Edited by Horus
oups don't read * Several trees are flying....

First impressions:

- Looks good enough for a "military simulation", even today.

- LOD changes while moving/flying, only the highest LOD should be used.

- Stutter when flying with higher viewdistances, maybe caused by LOD changes, only the highest LOD should be used.

A2_OFP_Trees.jpg

Can't tell you much about fps changes, because I installed a new graphics card today, still trying to get the best performance with it.

Nice work so far, I will report more impressions/informations when I have something worth posting. Thanks!

MfG Lee :)

Wow thanks Kju! :)

Will test this first thing in the morning and report back.

EDIT: Oh btw does your LOW Vegetation addon do anything with this addon?

Edited by Alex72

Funny how last night i was thinking why Sahrani runs so smooth in CAA1.

45-60fps on my system while chernarus is 20-35fps. I was thinkng what if someone replaces trees with sahrani ones in chernarus but i also thought they wont look right but what if the sahrani leafs are used only with more chernarus style trunks and branches.

I'm downloading this now

id take the gorgeous a2 trees at 20-35 fps over uglier trees @ 45-60 but im crazy like that.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Personally I like the color and the look of those resistance vegetation a lot.

a2 vegetation looks nice too, yet without the MLOD files, the tweaking possibilities are limited.

@ Alex72

Either you use this, the tweaked a2 models (GDT or PROPER) or a2 without modifications.

@ Lee

You can compare against the one res LOD only version out later today.

Hey kju,

the FPS boost is massive. I dont remember the average fps without your addon, but it runs smooth like hell. But for me every fifth tree is flying, I cant play with that ;) In some forests there are the half of trees flying what looks rly crazy :D

When the "flying" and the other smal problems are fixed this will help many people.

@ jonneymendoza

Please read the first post again. :)

@ vo.1

Great! So you volunteer to fix, right?

You only need to measure the size of the a2 models and resize the new model to the same. :)

I love you mods and tweaks kju, i got a small FPS boost, but imho the trees and bushes look really bad. May help some old rigs to run Arma 2.

Ok results:

On my system - Holy bananas! FPS is way up and im getting a much smoother gaming experience. Ofcourse it doesnt look AS good, but good enough - thats for sure.

The only thing i think Lee also said was to remove that one LOD or MLOD or whatever you call it. It switches between 2 and the furthest away makes trees looking like rectangles to me. Maybe cause i play on normal object detail? But it would be nice to try to have only 1 so it doesnt change (or make the change further away?).

EDIT3: The square trees i saw when i started the map was only noticable in the start. The changes to second LOD isnt that bad actually. Dont know why they are square when i load up. Maybe its some initiation thingy. But its not as bad as i first stated after start.

Anyway will test some more, but the first thing i noticed was that Chernarus is now like Utes was with normal trees to me. :)

EDIT: One disadvantage is that the trees have very thin base/trunk so they arent much cover. Maybe they can be resized Kju? They look pretty short (some i saw anyway) so maybe they can be resized a bit to make them taller and provide little more cover.

EDIT2: And cant wait til you get the trees down on the ground. :) Because this plays uber smooth until i get my new PC and i will surely use it until then. Superb.

Good job Kju as always!

Alex

Edited by Alex72

kju

Any chance of a mod with Sahrani trees as they are just about on par with chernarus. They look good as my pics show in previous post and Sahrani runs so smooth. Would be intesting to see if they boost fps in chernarus.

I did get a noticable FPS with this mod but didn't like the look of the trees

Noticed that the bushes arent cover nor concealment. Is there a possibility to get that fixed Kju?

I noted that units in COMBAT mode didnt use the bushes as they do with normal ARMA2 veggy so i did some tests and noted that they are invisible to AI. They shot me when i was on the other side everytime. I thaught it was first because they arent "physical" and wouldnt provide bullet strays when "twigs" are hit sometimes, but i think its just cause the AI doesnt see the bushes?

This gives such great FPS to those heavy missions that this is like a drug now - must have. :) If the bush issue and the flying trees could be fixed then this is a slam dunk hit!

Alex

if im correct, when you add the -mod command on the shortcut, it enables a mod? If i dont add it, it wont enable it?

Is their an easier GUI like the ones you see from Oblivion/fallout 3 where you load up a GUI that tells you all the mods listed in your arma 2 and you can manualy disable and enable them?

It does improve the FPS but noticed that Steal the Car mission half the trees were floating 20ft in the air.

Good start and maybe a good pointer to help get some frames back. Buildings would be a good one.

Somehow the trees float a meter above the ground in the air^^. Whatever, theres a FPS-Impact from 5-30(!!!) FPS. And it doesnt look so bad.

PS: Your performance-mods are nice.

id take the gorgeous a2 trees at 20-35 fps over uglier trees @ 45-60 but im crazy like that.

x2.

Personally I think people who think 25-30 frames is "bad" are crazy like that.

Very good mod I get a boost of 20 extra frames. The only problem I found was the floating trees. Looking forward to see that fixed.

Updated first post. Thanks to T_D no more flying trees or bushes. :)

HighQuality (aka highest Resolution LOD only) and ArmA I plants replacements should

be out soon as well.