Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Where can i get the best quality satelite-images and other?

Hi, you experienced Map makers, where is the very best place (no matter if it costs money) to get the highest quality satellite images (+hightmap maybe) out of which i want to make a island for Arma2?

Is there a big benefit in having them in a superb quality anyways, or doesn't it matter really?

Thanks in Advance! ;) :D

http://allallsoft.com/gsmd/

About 30 bucks

There is also a terrain downloader, but that is not that good because it also has the roads on the height map, so u manually have to brush that out of it.

You can always take a couple of hundred pictures in google earth and past them together.

There is actually 1001 ways to get high def pictures. And you can also make a map with only photoshop.

Later,

Alphons

Check this thread out ... there are some methods to get the data you need..

Also a link by me to another forum where it explains how to use microdem and google overlay

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=69402

hope it helps

PS..If it is your first one, mapping is a really hard job and the sources are really scattered. Do not get fixated on getting the most detailed sat image. Start with something small and available in google earth. There are so many thing you need to learn until you strive for detailed sat map.

Make sure you check the Visitor Forums in ARMA1 section.

Edited by Cross

Thanks very much for all your Tips and Infos!

I just bought Google-Earth Pro and i have sadly found out that my favorite island is 95% in good resolution but around 5% (a small stripe at its one cost-side) is in a very very very bad resolution - and in no satellite data i could find a better resolution....

How much artistic freedom do i have in order to fix this? Can i cut-off that part via photoshop? If so, the hight-maps would be not fitting then, right?