OA buildings kill FPS,Duala has very good performances and it's very good for large PVP events,i'm not in favour of adding OA buildings.

I'm waiting for the comeback of the old 8 digits grid map of duala 1.81.

Right now it's impossible to use ACE Howitzer with the new map

In the grand scheme of things GLT is only a smallish d/l and it adds some very nice eye candy.

Must agree with you on the viggen, weird choice, I would have gone for an SU22 or phantom. BUT the viggen is different and adds some spice to the island.

OA buildings kill FPS,Duala has very good performances and it's very good for large PVP events,i'm not in favour of adding OA buildings.

I'm waiting for the comeback of the old 8 digits grid map of duala 1.81.

Right now it's impossible to use ACE Howitzer with the new map

You obviously dont scan EVERY post .... Robalo_AS has released the 8 figure grids for nearly every island!

Gotta keep up in this game !

In the grand scheme of things GLT is only a smallish d/l and it adds some very nice eye candy.

Must agree with you on the viggen, weird choice, I would have gone for an SU22 or phantom. BUT the viggen is different and adds some spice to the island.

Candy indeed! GLT is great, not sure why it bothers people. And the viggen does add something different. Maybe there were no funds in the kitty to get Su's...

I like it!

I just don't like the Viggen since it makes absolutelly NO SENSE (the Viggen was never exported and no Viggen currently exists in service), and this specially when those "glt_missilebox" and "cba" addons are only for the Viggen. Makes no sense, to me! IMO, you should release a Duala (Full) without the need of those addons.

Please pull your head out of your arse mate. This is the ArmAVersum. As Duala is a fictional country set on a fictional parallel universe type earth (Well, that's basically what the ArmAversum is :P) it's not impossible that Sweden would have good relations with Duala and be willing to export some of their aircraft. Perhaps Duala is the place the swedish come to get tanned? :D

Your justifications for him removing it are:

#1 - "In Your Opinion" he made a mistake.

#2 - "In Your Opinion" a project like Duala shouldn't use any 3rd party addons.

#3 - You just don't like it.

#4 - It makes no sense to you.

#5 - See #4

#6 - "In Your Opinion" he needs to.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

- ...I just don't like the Viggen since it makes absolutelly NO SENSE (the Viggen was never exported and no Viggen currently exists in service), and this specially when those "glt_missilebox" and "cba" addons are only for the Viggen. Makes no sense, to me! IMO, you should release a Duala (Full) without the need of those addons.

I also agree with MacScottie, a version of Duala with the enterable buildings of OA like in Lingor (and without the "glt_missilebox" and "cba" addons) would be IMO a "dream come true"!

Couldn't disagree more. By the inclusion of the 3rd party addons Ice hasn't just given us another island but a new carefully constructed environment, complete enough for any game mode A2 is capable of. Also I think the inclusion of many of the OA buildings could potentialy wreck the feel of Duala. I know many people only see the similarities but I like the more distinctive north african feel to Duala and prefer the variety in map styles.

Couldn't disagree more. By the inclusion of the 3rd party addons Ice hasn't just given us another island but a new carefully constructed environment, complete enough for any game mode A2 is capable of. Also I think the inclusion of many of the OA buildings could potentialy wreck the feel of Duala. I know many people only see the similarities but I like the more distinctive north african feel to Duala and prefer the variety in map styles.

Yep. This island was loosely based on Tonal and with OA buildings it would definitely loose its African feel. Couldn't agree more.

And anyone who doesn't like this FREE island made for FREE by a community member should learn how to do it themselves and make one!

It's boring that we are still reading comments on other people's work that aren't really constructive or helping the author complete THEIR goals.

These people don't work for us!! :mad:

Having Duala require 3rd party addons is a bad idea, especially when it could have been easily avoided.

What will you do when next versions of CBA and GLT missilebox are out? Will you update your mod as well?

Now Duala is addon dependent, why didn't you keep things the way they were?

Like many admins I want to use the less addons possible on my server and I really don't appreciate to have my hands forced.

Now:

-mod=@duala;@cba;@glt_missilebox

Before:

-mod=@duala

Adding such a dependency only for aircraft makes no sense to me.

Edited by Lonestar

Having Duala require 3rd party addons is a bad idea, especially when it could have been easily avoided.

What will you do when next versions of CBA and GLT missilebox are out? Will you update your mod as well?

Now Duala is addon dependent, why didn't you keep things the way they were?

Like many admins I want to use the less addons possible on my server and I really don't appreciate to have my hands forced.

Now:

Before:

Adding such a dependency only for aircraft makes no sense to me.

Both CBA and GLT MissileBox (afaik) provide backwards compatibility, so at new versions, you can choose to update to them, or stick to what you have.

If you don't want CBA/GLT MissileBox dependency, there's the option to use Duala Lite, or even simply leave out the Viggen, or the mentioned addon dependencies with some reduced functionality as result.

Then there's the option to combine the addons into single folder, if the additional folders are the main concern.

Alternatively you can use an addon tool with dependency management, like SU ;-)

All in all, plenty of options, no end of the world situation :P

Edited by Sickboy

It seems that people don't understand the purpose of the Missilebox.

The weapons do look the same, regardless on what plane/chopper they are attached. I tried to make them the best quality i could. I think i may say that at least they do look better than default BIS weapons. IMHO it adds to immersion if a AIM-9X looks the same on all planes, regardless who made the plane.

The weapons do have the same performance. You will not have the case that a AIM-9X from plane A have completely different config values compared to AIM-9X from plane B.

Actually there are quite a few planes that uses the Missilebox:

- F-16

- JAS-39

- Su-34 Desert camo

- Gnat's Tu-22M3

- Meatball's upcoming F/A-18

- IceBreakr's version of the Viggen.

Some more will hopefully follow.

That said, in the above cases it also reduces addon filesize as it doesn't need weapon model and texture files in it.

I wont deny that it has it's downsides, especially when people are using just one or two of those named plane addons: they'll have a lot weapons addons loaded which aren't in use just for one or two planes. But IMHO that's a really minor point compared to it's benefits.

One could discuss if IceBreakr should have included it into his download and i remember we had this discussion aswell. IIRC (please IceBreakr, correct me if i remember wrong) i also pointed out that he would have to update his pack whenever i release a update of the Missilebox. But at the end it was his decision what he thought would be best.

Obviously you can't please everyone.

Oh, and Lonestar, for me it raises the question why your mod (HEXAgon) doesn't use the Missilebox but this would belong to another thread (there are some european weapons like the R550 Mattra, MDBA Meteor and the AIM-132, more could be included for sure).

When missilebox is updated, Icebreaker can update his pack, but people don't have to re-download it, they can just download the updated missilebox. Whether they want to is another thing. People who don't like downloading addons shouldn't be playing with addons?...

All I'm saying is: give the choice to the user.

If people want fancy missiles, then they download GLT missilebox. Make Duala aircraft compatible but don't include it in the pack.

-mod=@duala;@cba;@glt_missilebox

GLT missilebox out, now there's only CBA left.

The whole mod is CBA dependent because of one aircraft (the Viggen). Seriously? :upside:

-mod=@duala;@cba;

Ask the Swedish Forces Mod Team to remove the dependency OR choose another aircraft OR remove it.

I don't want to use Duala Lite because I want extra stuff like units and vehicles.

AND

I don't want to use Six Updater because I don't need it (we use only a few addons).

Bottom line: I like things simple, let's keep it this way.

WARNING: No offense to Myke or Swedish Forces Mod Team, I know how hard it is to pull all this stuff together.

Edited by Lonestar

Lonestar there is a lite version..

PS: The only issue with it in 1.9(1) is IceBreakr forgot to remove the dependency to IBR_Civilians.

I don't want to use Duala Lite because I want extra stuff like units and vehicles.

Until now addons that were added to the mod (units e.g.) never had any dependency.

Why it has changed is a mystery to me.

Until now addons that were added to the mod (units e.g.) never had any dependency.

Why it has changed is a mystery to me.

Then you didn't read my last post.

I can understand that it seems less ideal for a single vehicle, but imo the true nature of the problem lays in the fear of addons in MP ;)

That's where tools come in, and they are exactly there to simplify your life, even if you use few addons - but I know, broken record...

Yet what I don't understand is why if it is a problem because they are seperate mod folders, why don't you just combine them into 1?

Or as pointed out, disable the viggen, or leave out the dependencies (or addons that require the dependencies) - with slightly reduced functionality as result?

That's why I said plenty of options, SU is just one ;)

Edited by Sickboy

Personally i cant see what the issue is with using GLT missilebox and CBA, i would say these are two essential addons all Arma2/OA users should use. They aren't massive addons.

@Lonestar you can moan all you want but at the end of the day it is Icebreakr's decision, hes not gonna change the pack for one user. He has made another outstanding gift to the community and your just complaining about it.

Also as Sickboy says just combine the mod folders into one on your local machine if you dont like multiple mod folders. I for one have must have more than 10 modfolders for a variety of addons, that's where a mod launcher comes in, simple

Myke;1884567']Then you didn't read my last post.

Your addon is a model replacement that requires CBA.

It's great you work with IceBreakr to make his mod compatible with GLT missilebox but he shouldn't include it in an arbitrary manner.

I respect IceBreakr's work' date=' I'm just trying to make things easier for server admins.

Personally i cant see what the issue is with using GLT missilebox and CBA, i would say these are two essential addons all Arma2/OA users should use. They aren't massive addons.

That's exactly the problem: people thinking addons should be used by everyone. You don't give a choice and you want to force your POV on everybody.

I for one have must have more than 10 modfolders for a variety of addons, that's where a mod launcher comes in, simple.

Your solution works for SP, I think MP.

Edited by Lonestar

Your addon is a model replacement that requires CBA.
There are also scripts in the addon.

However perhaps it's an idea to split the scripting functionality from the actual models/textures addons, so that when the scripts aren't required, the models/textures addons can still be used.

In any case, the Viggen itself also has eventhandlers defined, which uses CBA as well.

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Your solution works for SP, I think MP.
I think MP too very much - and for MP there are several most excellent tools to make the life of everyone involved (from server hoster to player) easier.
That's exactly the problem: people thinking addons should be used by everyone. You don't give a choice and you want to force your POV on everybody.
I disagree - several options have been presented, while you seem to reject all of them :)

Anyway - This is Ice's project - i'll shut up now ;)

Edited by Sickboy

Yes but IceBreakr would have never added GLT missilebox if the Viggen didn't require CBA already. Or maybe the other way around.

I think MP too very much - and for MP there are several most excellent tools to make the life of everyone involved (from server hoster to player) easier.

I don't use any third party tool for servers because it brings more hassle than ease of use. It doesn't make it easier since we use less than 5 addons server side.

I disagree - several options have been presented, while you seem to reject all of them :)

If you can find an easier solution than just adding @duala to the modline of my server, I'll go for it.

Combining mod folders into one not being a solution for a careful admin that wants to keep track of updates.

Edited by Lonestar

heheh GEEZ whats the deal here ? Just about every mod worth its salt needs CBA, and CBA is small, and works great.

Lonestar, the only solution for you appears to be going and finding another mod where life is easier for you. Its all about you, after all.

If you can find an easier solution than just adding @duala to the modline of my server, I'll go for it.

+1

full support! because these mods we have abandoned the use of the island. very sad :mad:

Edited by NinetyThird

Look guys, I've been sceptical about using Myke's MissileBox even myself and I've asked Myke probably a thousand questions about it already (sorry Myke). MissileBox is required by Viggen, yes. But it *also changes* all the missiles (inc. anti-air!) to the realistic values! Did you know that missiles in vanilla A2 are totally incorrect and fly at much higher speeds as in RL? Since realism matters a lot to me, I've decided to include his addon in the pack as it adds a lot to the immersion.

If there is a new version of @cba or @glt_MissileBox you can simply update it or don't - all should work with the version that is supplied, new updates take care of the backward combatibility, so there is no issue there.

Why I used AJ37 Viggens? Because Draken is not ready yet. Why I asked GranQ for Swedish plane? Because its damn cool, a bit 80s feeling and Afrenians don't have money for the latest fancy stuff. And... because F-5 Tiger II is not ready yet (originally planned for 1.9 release). AJ37 don't have internal cannon, so only certain configurations have gun pods mounted on the pylons. I have bunch of equipment donated for my projects, but I'm not good at making new vehicles - and I don't have as much time as I did maybe a year ago.

Both @cba and @glt_missilebox are packed in separate @ folders, so you decide if you want them or not. If you're a player who hates realisim (aka what missilebox is) then simply delete ibr_viggen.pbo and don't bother installing anything 3rd party.

I won't be adding OA buildings to Duala also, since its A2 project and buildings don't fit. But I might release Luala (green lush vegeration version of the island, but less cluttered than Lingor is) with them. Still WIP, along with one special project "close to Panthera" (aka Massacra work-name).

Edited by IceBreakr

I love Duala+Units+Missilebox+Vehicles, no big deal for server admin, VERY VERY big deal for the island creator, mr. ice, because he spends a lot of time on this, and seriously people complain about this tiny piece of problem,which isn't actually a problem. I really can't believe what i'm reading in here..

If you're a player who hates realisim (aka what missilebox is) then simply delete ibr_viggen.pbo and don't bother installing anything 3rd party.

I don't hate realism, I just like to have the choice. Is it a crime?

Thanks for the clarification IceBreakr.

I'll leave out ibr_viggen.pbo and 3rd party addons. Too bad but I don't have a choice.

Edited by Lonestar