For real, I plan on using this map to make a lot of zombie missions on. Also, is there a alternative download for those African NPCS? The website is like in german or something..Can't read it. :(

Awesome Island.

I have noticed a strange graphical issue with road/hard surfaces in that they fade/blend into the ground at distance. Not a real issue, but curious if this was intentional or if it's a bug. It would be nice to see roads from a distance, but it's not a game breaker.

Edit: I'm having a problem with AI planes taking off from the two dirt airports. The two larger ones seem fine, but on the dirt they don't take off following the runway and instead go off in some other direction inevitably crashing into something.

Edit: After some more testing it appears to be just the dirt airport in SE Afrene that has the takeoff vector set incorrectly.

Edited by Grizzle

Good news, Duala v1.1 is on the way, changelog:

- completed two additional smaller islands that belong to Afrene (SW) and Molatia (NW)

- fixed small hut & guard hut heights on main Afrene checkpoint (by the bridge)

- removed several street lamps to cut down electricity costs

- fixed tower height in Camp Noobia

- fixed config error "Ruins" that appeared in Editor

- moved posed guard towers to ibr_dtowns to ensure compatibility with Panthera 2.31

- removed pink coloured spots on ground near ruined bridge

- replaced house textures to ones more suitable to Africa (based on RL African infrastructure)

Good news indeed. Thank you Ice! :)

PS. Please just keep the performance. :o If you can ofcourse. Looking forward to 1.1!

About army of Afrene... should we arm them with M16A2/M249/MG36 or with FN F2000 & FN Minimi that our (Slovenian) army uses in RL? Camo is not done yet, I'm still looking for proper solution but it will feature cyan/blue colours to make Afrenians look different to their neighbours. More urban cammo I guess since their primary tasks will be defending towns.

I think it would be fun if there was a bit more variation to the weapons, and not use the weapons you'd expect from a BLUFOR force.

I'd say go for the FN F2000's :) Even better would be an FN FAL if you could get your hands on one.

F2000 might be looking a bit too modern for a poor country.

For the colour of the camo, i'd suggest using something other then blue. I think it would stick out too much, considering the biggest part of the island is brown/brownish.

Camo is there to blend in, not to make a fashion statement imo :p

It should look useful, not just different. But that is my humble opinion ofcourse ;)

In other news, i just released a new mission for your island IceBreakr!

Have a look at it here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1547181#post1547181

I think mine will end up using the ACE2 FN FAL and M60. And maybe RPG7.

Looking forward to some building retextures! Even painting some of the old Sahrani buildings white will give this map a lot more soul.

Looking forward to version 1.1!! Building retextures FTW!

IceBreakr - awesome job on this :)

btw only missing some Africa animals lol :D

RH, I'm waiting for BIS to include carnivores ;)

I'd say equip the troops with FN-FAL and HK G3 for the regulars with m240 as an MG and UZI's for the Troop leaders, crews etc..........

About army of Afrene... should we arm them with M16A2/M249/MG36 or with FN F2000 & FN Minimi that our (Slovenian) army uses in RL?

I think the F2000 would look very anachronistic, older types of FN Minimi and FN MAG would be OK, also these African countries are heavily using FN FAL and G3 weapons along with AK-47/AKM variants (and several copies from Norinco to Zastava), some central African states are using M16s too (Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo for example).

They might get their hands on older Israeli weaponry I guess, UZI more than probable, and maybe, MAYBE Galil rifles.

So my list for them would consist (for Afrenian Army):

-M16A1/A2

-AK-47/AKM and copies (you might take a good look at Vilas's AK pack)

-G3 variants

-FN FAL and variants

-FN MAG

-PK variants, RPK variants, RPD variants

-M2 HMG, DsHK/DsHKM HMG

I wouldn't recommend M4/M4A1, G36, F2000.

In terms of official Army weaponry, old Russian weaponry (e.g. the AKs and RPKs) is by far the most common in central and southern African states. Most of the Sub-Saharan African states officially make use of AK-47s, G-3s and RPKs as primary weapons.

You'll struggle to find many 'European' and US weapons in the African states, even if it is the official weaponry of the army (as the armies simply can't afford to buy the arms from Western dealers, they'd much rather take the cheap weapons they can find easily on the black market, or import second-hand). The availability of Russian weaponry is silly in most of Southern Africa at least. On the streets of some cities, you can pick up an AK47 and bags of ammo for as little as US$150. The Russian weapons are typically dirt cheap, reliable, and can be easily maintained with limited supplies.

If you want a 'Westernised' army, you're still looking at 'old' weaponry, but this isn't a common thing in Africa. The most modern army in Africa (by a long way) is the South African army, and they're using R4s (FN FALs) mainly. Up until only a few years ago, they too were using Russian RPG launchers, though (just as an example).

If you want something genuine, you're going to have to end up going for a mix of AK-47s, RPKs/PKs and the occasional G-3. Launchers are almost exclusively RPGs.

Edited by JamesF1
Figure correction ;) US$150, not US$15!

JamesF1: Molatian Army uses that kind of weapons, I wanted Afrene to be severely stocked with US/Euro stuff. I'll probably make both variants so the mission maker can pick the one of his liking.

@IceBreakr

Concerning the G3 and FN FAL: you might get in contact with the Project RACS team, they will have these weapons for their units, and from pictures they are looking very up-to-date generally.

JamesF1: Molatian Army uses that kind of weapons, I wanted Afrene to be severely stocked with US/Euro stuff. I'll probably make both variants so the mission maker can pick the one of his liking.

Fair enough - didn't realise that was your intent :) Either way, the information is there if needed ;)

If wld allows you to use his G3 and FN FAL it could work for your storyline. From what I know the RACS G3 and FN FAL are Sahrani made clones with some features added/removed to make them a little different from the real ones. Plus it would probably be cheaper to import them then the Euro made weapons.

now the river crossing is easier but AI is still in troubles...

just as a sidenote to show some appreciation:

three words : A - MA - ZING

keep up the good work. Cheers.

Is there any chance of making Balabongo bigger? (May have the name wrong. the biggest city in molatia.) Not really tall buildings but a bigger slum area, some 1-2 story houses. Just an extra 3rd or so (If the current one was split into 3 pieces) added to the city would look great IMO and would allow for more "BHD, driving through tight alleys, getting lost while under heavy small arms & rpg fire" type stuff.

Just a fan adding input. While it would look great I know you are probably very busy with any other projects you are doing.

Suggestion for Afrenes capital. Add a generic embassy compound. If possible make it a building with access to the rooftop. (for airlifts)

Suggestion for Afrenes capital. Add a generic embassy compound. If possible make it a building with access to the rooftop. (for airlifts)

Yes, that would be great! Also will the custom troops get groups in the editor? And will they be bundled with Duala at some point (to reduce required addons for missions)?

Having a lot of fun with this map so far. Amazing that it has good visuals and maintains a high framerate.

Nice Map, thx a lot !

I did notice XR #1 multiplayer is offering the map already, unfortunately without Molatian army..it would be cool to see that aswell online =)

Guys, don't you think you're a bit too late - I've accepted that kind of info in the beta stage? If I do any major changes to the towns guys who did missions would be a bit pissed off?

Darkhorse: Please mark (with a sketch on this planning map) where the slums could be built, I'll see what I can do. I can do the compound in Kinsella (walls, double protection) what kind of building should I put in?

oxmox: you can get Molatian Army here.

Edited by IceBreakr

IceBreakr do you know if there is any object other than helipads (H) that remove grass? I started building a huge base at WEST of Duala as its a big plain area there but the grass is very tall and it looks a bit off. Some flat areas could maybe get a little less grass so we can build nice bases on there and it wouldnt mess too much with made missions?

Thank you.

EDIT: WEST just above that island that cracks up the western side. A road close to the open sea (left). Large flat area. 02-03 and down a little little bit.

Sorry not home so i cant paint.

Edited by Alex72

Sure, Alex72 - use A1 grasscutter object from ibr_plants.pbo, hopefully I've added a class to v1.0? :o or just use several invisible H already present in A2 editor. Bad thing is that AI uses them to land their choppers ;)

Oh thanks! :) I tested the invisible H but it didnt do nothing for me. At least not on Cherna. Maybe different on Duala?

But sure ill use the grasscutter. Haha that sounds awesome. You think of everything mate.

Thanks!

EDIT: Before i come back later and ask how to use it - is it an object in the editor? (grasscutter).

EDIT2: Hmm i have the ibr_plants.pbo loaded but i cant see any related menu option for it. Its the ibr_plants.pbo that came with your island though. Is it another one needed as you mention ArmA1? And do i need that editor update addon or does it come with ACE maybe? Many questions lol sorry mate.

Edited by Alex72