Sign in to follow this  
Jex =TE=

Who here uses XFIRE?

Do you use XFIRE whilst playing Arma 2  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use XFIRE whilst playing Arma 2

• Yes
    • No

Since recent posts are spouting just how unpopular A2 is because it doesn't get good figures on XFIRE - i wonder how many here use it.

I don't as it goes.

I only got Xfire because my unit needed me to, other wise I still wouldn't have it. And I don't think that this is representative of the whole ArmA 2 player base either, but that's just me.

Maybe we should ask BIS how many units they've sold.

I don't see why not - if 200 people vote won't that give us an idea on % of players?

Oh and I doubt very much a company would give away that sort of info :)

I don't see why not - if 200 people vote won't that give us an idea on % of players?

Perhaps.

Oh and I doubt very much a company would give away that sort of info :)

You never know.

Xfire is on 24/7 for me, just like Steam, Unless ofcourse, it conflicts with something.

Can't use Xfire in-game so I don't really use it that much when I play ArmA 2. I know there are ways, but getting it done every time they update the Xfire_games file .. it gets annoying. Not to mention that they haven't sorted out the LauncherDirKey path yet.

Can't use Xfire in-game so I don't really use it that much when I play ArmA 2. I know there are ways, but getting it done every time they update the Xfire_games file .. it gets annoying. Not to mention that they haven't sorted out the LauncherDirKey path yet.

I like seeing my "how many hours played" each week.

I use xfire, but not for Arma 2 because ingame doesn't work, and it doesn't even detect the game as running.

Unless the games list file is modified for the retail version it can only detect the Steam version.

Hence the Xfire figures for Arma2 are WRONG anyway. Of course there will be more people playing if only the Steam users are counted.

I use xfire, but not for Arma 2 because ingame doesn't work, and it doesn't even detect the game as running.

Unless the games list file is modified for the retail version it can only detect the Steam version.

Hence the Xfire figures for Arma2 are WRONG anyway. Of course there will be more people playing if only the Steam users are counted.

Even if it did record how many people actually played it. It wouldn't even be in the Top 20.

Even if it did record how many people actually played it. It wouldn't even be in the Top 20.

Who cares, i'd rather play ArmA 2 with 500 mature dedicated players than playing COD/DR/BF or whatever with 5000 cheating/cussing/whining little teenagers!

How to make xfire work properly with ArmA II

Posted: 2009-10-09 10:34 CEST

In Windows XP with UK 505 DVD version. First, quit xfire.

find C:\Program Files\Xfire

Find and open the file called xfire_games.ini

There's chapters in that file, all numbered.

Find the chapter number [5856_2] and replace all of it with the following code

Code:

[5856_2]
LongName=ARMA 2
ShortName=arma2
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Main
LauncherExe=arma2.exe
DetectExe=arma2.exe
LauncherNetworkArgs=-connect=%UA_GAME_HOST_NAME% %UA_GAME_HOST_PORT%
Launch= %UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% %UA_LAUNCHER_EXTRA_ARGS% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%
InGameRenderer=D3D9
InGameFlags=USE_PRESENT|ENABLE_MOUSE|USE_WINDOWS_INPUT

Save the file.

Restart xfire.

Win.

Whats the point of Xfire?

Just uses more memory and resources....

depends on wether or not i'm playing with the beta patch or not.... i don't bother to change the location in x-fire between beta and not....

Xfire has always detected my retail 505 version of the game as running!?!?!

i have never had to mess with it in anyway, it just worked from the beguining, both with the steam demo, and my proper boxed retail copy.

Xfire has always detected my retail 505 version of the game as running!?!?!

Yes, but does the ingame stuff work, like video and screen capture?

Yes, but does the ingame stuff work, like video and screen capture?

To answer that question, i could not tell you as i have never used it, my logitech keyboard does not have a scroll lock, so i have been unable to work out how to do screen captures yet :D

I installed it to chat with a mate, and to log the hours played as i thought it was quite a nice feature, the other stuff i have not delved into yet.

Ah, I see. I've changed the keys so that it uses a different key to make it easier on my logitech.

When xfire is running and you start the game, do you get a little xfire window in the bottom right of the screen saying "Xfire enabled"?

arma2-20091018-142148.jpg

Xfire isnt a reliable source to check how many players there are, not even Steam is because there are many players that don't use Steam to launch ArmA 2 etc etc.

I do use Xfire by the way, i can't imagine playing games without it anymore.

I need Xfire while playing otherwise i get a 'disconnected' feeling, and i like being able to be contacted while playing to join a co-op session for example.

I use it, however it doesn't natively detect the beta patch, nor does it support in game, which is why I'm disappointed with xfire's support of A2...

I use it, ive never had any issues with Steam or xfire at all.

Xfire is a pretty cool little program imo and doesnt effect any of my gaming (aka making the fps worse or anything like that).

Xfire isnt a reliable source to check how many players there are, not even Steam is because there are many players that don't use Steam to launch ArmA 2 etc etc.

This is true, but you can make a pretty good general guestimate on the games performance compared with other titles ?