Sign in to follow this  
KingN

CO12 Heroes Of Chernarus - Large-scale mission with freedom of choice

CO12 - Heroes of Chernarus: Force Recon

I've decided to finally release this project as I've already had another project in the making for a while now. So here it is, 12 player large-scale coop mission with freedom of choice! I've tried to incorporate as much immersion, complexity and conscientiousness into this mission as in my old OFP campaigns back in the days, in case somebody recognizes me. This time I tried to put together a nice large-scale multiplayer mission for Arma 2. I loved making it and took surprisingly lot of time finishing and testing it.

Story:

"The Russians have invaded Chernarus and their outnumbered forces have pushed the desperate defence forces of Chernarus towards North East. Majority of Chernarus is under control of the oppressors forces. However, the russians are encountering resistance from all sides. Even a movement of citizens have been said to be assembled together to fight the invaders. Another, formidable assisting force fighting beside the CDF are the U.S. troops aiding the defending forces. They have deployed so far a handful of troops on the soil of Chernarus preceding the main elements inbound. Among these pioneer troops are you, a U.S. Marines Force Recon squad. These forces are located in the north-eastern part of Chernarus where the elements of CDF are waiting for the right moment for a counter-offensive. Currently your squad is playing an important role in this conflict. Your goal is to scout the enemy territory while harrassing the enemy and gaining intel about their forces and plans. Your operations will give our troops helpful aid and better hope for the liberation of Chernarus. Good luck!"

Mission:

In this mission you operate as a part of a U.S. Marines Force Recon squad. Your mission is to complete succesfully as many objectives behind enemy lines as possible and make it in one piece back to base. The mission is finished once you have completed the minimum of 3 objectives and reported to your CO. After that your mission is scored during the outro cutscene according to your performance in the line of duty(see the scoring factors below). There are 6 objectives in total that varies from documents retrieving and hostage rescue through assassination to the good ol' kill 'em all action from which you are to choose the ones that fit you. You have artillery and cloase air support at your disposal in case of hot situations. The mission includes 2 difficulty settings which affects the amount of enemy troops and the number of revives, which both you can change to fit your player count, skill and taste. Also extra settings using the new parameter are included

I've made the enemy activity as natural as possible. For instance I've made scripts for enemy road traffic so during mission you might run into a truck filled with russian relocating to another village or base. They will disembark and open fire immediately after contact so be stealthy! Also be aware the enemy is capable of requesting reinforcements and air support. Using hit and run tactics is advised!

arma22009-10-1616-05-34-35.jpgarma22009-10-1616-07-55-60.jpg

arma22009-10-1617-35-51-74.jpgarma22009-10-1617-46-20-65.jpg

Features:

• Freedom of choice with mission objectives. There are 6 objectives in total of which at least 3 must be completed succesfully
  • Mission is scored during outro cutscene according to several factors:
    • Mission type
    • bonus points completing more than the minimum of 3 objectives
    • player count at mission start; with fewer players it's harder, naturally
    • player casualties during mission
    • difficulty settings
    • In other words: Trying to get a new top score makes replaying the mission more fun!

[*]Wide mission area

[*]3 Difficulty setting:

• Enemy Strength - Affects the average amount of enemy troops roaming the enemy territory
    • Number of revives - Uses Revive script by norrin. No respawn, only revival
    • Enemy Accuracy - Changes the enemy shooting accuracy

[*]Active enemy road traffic that will respond appropriately when got in

[*]Enemy air support

[*]Enemy reinforcement capability

[*]Artillery support script by SoccerBoy

[*]Close air support script

[*]Settings for time of day

[*]Random weather

[*]Intro. Settings for skipping it.

Links:

This mission is released without testing it 100% so it still might have bugs in it. Please report me of any problems you encounter so I can have a look into them.

Version 0.79

4Shared: Co12HeroesOfChernarusv079.rar

Armaholic mirror: Heroes of Chernarus: Force Recon Co-12 v0.79

Armed Assault.info: CO12 - Heroes of Chernarus: Force Recon (v 0.79)

SWDepot: COOP12 Heroes of Chernarus v0.79

Version history:

Version 0.79

• hotfix: Revive script initialized correctly
  • fix: revive count should be scored correctly now
  • added: option for 0 revives ("extreme" difficulty)

Version 0.78

• Initial release

Known issues:

- Undefined variable error reports in .rpt file. However, these won't effect the game play. Turn off -showscripterrors before playing if you are using the parameter.

- Sometimes the attack helicopter goes wandering further away engaging enemy targets.

- All script files are in ye olde sqs format. My future projetcs will come with sqf scripting.

Have fun! :)

Edited by King Nothing

Awesome, always loved your OFP work, King Nothing. Revolt 1998 was one of my favorite campaigns. :D

Will test it out soon!

Thaks a lot dale0404. Mirrors updated. :)

Mate, call me Dale, the 0404 is my birthdate!

So, how would two people fare on this mission?

I played this through alone for a little last test before I submitted this mission. ;) Just set the difficulty settings to match your player count, skill and taste. I played it the enemy strength set to "weak" and enemy accuracy set to "very poor" so there were just few enemies per map target that couldn't hit me early enough. :D So no worries, even 1 player is enough if you set the difficulty settings right.

Thanks Old Bear, mirrors updated again. :)

Wierd ERROR:

Maybe just my computer but if I start this mission as Multiplayer with Intro enabled Arma goes to Desktop and not visiable as a program still running, but it is still running. Never seen anything like it. Have to close with Task Manager. I disabled intro.sqs and it starts fine, but takes forever to load scripts and FPS is single digit for several minutes.

If I open it up in Editor and Preview it never runs just stays on Loading Scripts. Again disable intro.sqs and it runs.

Hope this helps.

Same here, sometimes Arma shutdown, no message error, still running in task-manager.

Same here, sometimes Arma shutdown, no message error, still running in task-manager.

Happens to me a lot in Warfare

If you play it singleplayer, will you have AI units to control? Or will it be a 1-man operation?

I played this through alone for a little last test before I submitted this mission. ;) Just set the difficulty settings to match your player count, skill and taste. I played it the enemy strength set to "weak" and enemy accuracy set to "very poor" so there were just few enemies per map target that couldn't hit me early enough. :D So no worries, even 1 player is enough if you set the difficulty settings right.

Thanks Old Bear, mirrors updated again. :)

Alright, good to know, it's great to have this level of customization. Keep up the great work!

yep. I get this, all the time.

Also, revive isnt working properly. Whenever a player dies he simply spawns miles away on an island (boot_hill or respawn_west not sure)

Mission is unplayable at the moment, but it sounds great and I hope you find a fix for it.

Edited by PeterEyres

Played in SP

All missions 6H28

Totale score 13480

One man dead - Ryan Cilloran

Good Work

Hi all!

I confirmed the revive script not working and have fixed it now. I also noticed by accident that in the end scoring the corresponding revive count values was not correct and fixed that too. In addition I added the option for 0 revives option, which is the most difficult option now.

I remember that it got the game crash when starting the mission but haven't got it since, I tested the mission if I could get it crash again but no avail. I think it's cause by the game code itself, not by my scripts but I'm not sure. I'll have a closer look at that later. Are you using any mods? vop sounds or the fire and smoke addon? I've noticed that those addons causes the "scripts loading, please wait" screen to last at least 3 times longer that normally if this has anything to do with the crashing.

Anyway, the mission is patched and the armed assault.info and SW depot links should be updated as well. Thank you! :)

Edit: Change log

Version 0.79

• hotfix: Revive script initialized correctly
  • fix: revive count should be scored correctly now
  • added: option for 0 revives ("extreme" difficulty)

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

If you play it singleplayer, will you have AI units to control? Or will it be a 1-man operation?

The AI is disabled because AI controlled playable units interfere with couple of scripts and this mission is inteded to be played with human players so you have to play it as a lone wolf. Just set the difficulty settings to easy and you should be ok. :)

Edited by King Nothing

Hi King Nothing

I will try the updated one tonight.

Yep I do use Sound of War mod, SLX and, JTD. I'll experiment with disabling them.

Has the mission worked fine after the little update? Anything that needs improving or is it ok as it is now? :)

Has the mission worked fine after the little update? Anything that needs improving or is it ok as it is now? :)

It doesn't seem to handle JIP. If anyone joins you're all sucked back to the airfield.

Other than that, it's a blast!