Sign in to follow this  
OH-58-FL-Pilot

Multple Installations using shared cd drive for co-op?

So I live in house in which we have 3 Gaming PC's - My brother's, The Media PC and My Gaming RIG.

My brother buys some titles with co-op and I buy the others (just bear with me here)

So lets say for example, Me,My brother and My Roomate the other night played OFP2 DR via one DVD across the network without issue.

I cannot afford to spend another $60 for the game on the Media Center and since my brother picked up the last co-op title i picked up ARMA II in hopes that we could co-op

I've attempted on the Media Center to get ARMA II to view a shared dvd drive after the installation however it keeps giving me the insert dvd message.

Now I know there are other methods to bypass this but I'd rather not revert to what may be considered illegal and cannot be discussed here (i assume)

We all want to play ARMA II across the network using the 3 PC's but with only one disk the only way I can do this is via the shared network drive.

Also since i'm new - does the co-op do an independant cd key check?

Meaning although my install is fine and log's into the servers if we are playing 3 way co-op do i ultimately need to go buy this product two more times or can i use the same disk?

Thanks a ton for any answers, as always the help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by OH-58-FL-Pilot

Even if you pull of running the game on multiple machines, it'll kick you out as soon as you join because you're using the same CD-KEY (and thus the same player ID). Multiplayer on LAN with 1 copy is just not possible in Arma 2, at least not legally.

So even if its over a lan the game itself does a key check?

None of us would be going online.

I'm assuming the key check is localized then and not server side in terms of online verification?

What a shame, I strongly feel with the price of software if I want to play LAN CO-OP with no internet connection that i should be free to install the game on as many pc's as i need in my own home. That was the major reason I bought this game is so many games lack good co-op.

So now I have go go shell out $120 just so i can play this bloody thing with my roommate and my brother via our network.

$120? wtf are you buying?

Software is cheap. Id be happy to pay 4x the price for ArmA2, and still feel like i got a good deal.

And its pretty standard procedure to have 1 user liscence per game...

Dude most games since like 10 years back at least have been using license keys :D

Damn games are expensive where you live, for me it would be mere 20-30 dollars a game :)

it all depends on what store you buy it at of course..

Besides Imo Bis games are worth the cost, they give so much good feelings in coop and the editor to make custom missions with is like 60% of the experience. :)

$120? wtf are you buying?

Software is cheap. Id be happy to pay 4x the price for ArmA2, and still feel like i got a good deal.

And its pretty standard procedure to have 1 user liscence per game...

There isnt a single game i have not had any issues on running lan

Gears of War CO-OP two player - 1 license

Resident Evil 5 - Co-op - 1 license

Operation Flashpoint DR - 3 players co-op one license

Splinter Cell Series - CO-Op 1 license Network Verifcation

And ARMA II is $54.95 here locally - With Tax it comes out to roughly $115-$120 - Though it looks like ARMA II online is $20 so i may just go that route, i just have a tendency to try and support the local economy if i can.

The old OPFP series all were able to use the shared network drive for cd verification.

It is not a major issue, I'll just go buy two more copies of the game but i see no need for developers to force people into purchasing products several times over when the content is being installed on their own machines.

I was just asking a question looking for a solution. So do not give me any flak about SOP and 1 license because as it stands, this is the only title to not support running the title in CO-OP over the network that I own. It does make complete sense of course as I could see one disc being used for lan parties which would hurt developers.

With all that said, I have no problem purchasing two more copies of the game. I've enjoyed it immensely thus far and i've only scratched the surface. Just spent the last 13 hours downloading mods and misisons and stuff now its time to filter through it (if i can figure out how to use them properly) and decide which ones i like and dislike.

Edited by OH-58-FL-Pilot

Why are you paying for it and not your roommate or brother? I would think they would pay for their own copies.

Why are you paying for it and not your roommate or brother? I would think they would pay for their own copies.

Its the only way to get them to play co-op with me :D

Hell I had to pre-order 3 copies of COD MW 2 because none of them were going to buy it.

Just as I bought them both L4D.

Damn, reading that apparently I'm a kickass brother and room mate :D

I have no problem playing online. Not actually tried it out yet (only had the game a few days now)

But did I just not state that I want to play over the LAN with people in my house.

I fail to see how that is apparently lost considering that is what this revolves around.

I will play online when I want, but we have our own vent server and we just enjoy gaming together over lan - no lag, no issues with connection should the internet drop out and most importantly, no people who treat us like crap because were new.

Plus the appeal of running only the co-op maps that I want vs what servers offer is another major benefit.

But seeing as its obvious that your hinting to me not physically owning the game. At least that's what i read out of your post

Heres your proof

1016090710.jpg

I was asking a question, and apparently I got my answer. Thanks to those who were kind enough to answer.

Edited by OH-58-FL-Pilot

Its the only way to get them to play co-op with me :D

Hell I had to pre-order 3 copies of COD MW 2 because none of them were going to buy it.

Just as I bought them both L4D.

Damn, reading that apparently I'm a kickass brother and room mate :D

No offense, but if I were your roommate or brother, I would probably hold off as well if it meant you kept buying me free games.

I think most titles (gaming) only allow the software to be used on one system at any one time (1 concurrent connection).

You should read through the EULA (End-User License Agreement) to verify this as it'll be mentioned within there.

No offense, but if I were your roommate or brother, I would probably hold off as well if it meant you kept buying me free games.

I guess I'm just too nice :D

If you use the current beta patch you don't need the disk.

Try using only LAN and unplug the internet connection, it might work. At least in A1 I think it worked that way.