Sign in to follow this  
kavoven

Stargate Universe [SG:U]

Well I thought there'd finally be some progress... My heart really skiped a beat when Telford offered McCay a job on Destiny.

It was a good episode!

I wasn't really expecting progress. Even if I did it wouldn't really matter since the show is being canceled anyway and I don't think they had time to do a proper ending. Next weeks episode looks good. It looks similar to the episode Time, one of my favorites, from season 1.

Did anyone keep track of how many people they lost?:confused:

Edited by kavoven

Say what? I still haven't had a chance to watch it! :butbut:

Abs

As always its the extras taking the toll :p

My best guess would be 2 SG personnel and maybe 3 alliance. Although apparently Varo? is it? the big alliance dude is on his own now, or that was the gist i got from what TJ said. If thats true then where did the rest go, there were certainly more than 10 of them left in the holding room a few episodes ago.

Not that it makes much of a difference, the seemingly endless numbers of disposable people onboard Destiny means they can loose alot more yet.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

Did anyone keep track of how many people the lost?:confused:

1st Encounter: 0 Fatalities

2nd Encounter: 2 Fatalities maybe 3(I think; both LA)

3rd Encounter: 2 Fatalities 1 LA and Marsden

Pretty good episode. I'm excited for next weeks again.

I think this weeks episode was probably my favorite and yet again I am looking forward to next week!

Great, great episode! This is 100% Stargate! :) :) :)

Another pause - This could have been the base for such an amazing new story line! Just image what could have been possible combining two human civilisations... Such a SHAME they quit SGU... such a shame... :(

Best episode since the first SGA episode!

Edited by kavoven

You should probably use spoiler tags for some of that kavoven. Just in case someone who hasn't seen it yet comes to read this.

I wouldn't mind watching another series based around the new civilization and how it formed and what types of things they faced. Not going to happen though. The stargate franchise is pretty much dead now.

It was definitely a great episode. Reminded me a bit of this Star Trek Deep Space 9 episode at first and it had me :j:, but then it was different enough to be enjoyable.

Now they are faced with the problem of what to do with all these extra people, and next to no resources. Interesting to see what will happen next week.

Abs

It was definitely a great episode. Reminded me a bit of this Star Trek Deep Space 9 episode at first and it had me :j:, but then it was different enough to be enjoyable.

Now they are faced with the problem of what to do with all these extra people, and next to no resources. Interesting to see what will happen next week.

Abs

Stasis pods? There is a trailer for the next episode on YouTube somewhere. There is also a 2 minute sneak peek. Neither shows any use of stasis pods but the sneak peek does have a pretty freaking cool scene in it! People on the GateWorld forum also drew comparisons to that DS9 episode as well.

sadly noone explained what happened to the other camps and observation posts

Stasis pods may be a good explanation. In the previous episode they had said that they discovered dozens of rooms like that.

sadly noone explained what happened to the other camps and observation posts

True. I'm going to assume that they were destroyed by the drones, since those two younger adults came back from their recon mission.

Abs

Chance writes: “ If the sales of this are good, MGM would have to consider the possibility of making the Atlantis movie, which could lead to other movies for the other shows. Is this scenario plausible or is it just wishful thinking?â€

Answer: As much as I hate to say it, that would just be wishful thinking. This chapter of the Stargate franchise (SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe) has apparently been closed and, if we see something in the (hopefully) not too distant future, I imagine it would be more something along the lines of a re-imagining of the brand.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

(Hes the one who has written all the great SG episodes! :) )

Epilogue was great! I'm getting really pissed that the show was canceled now. Recently, I've enjoyed every episode more than the last and every episode preview makes me anxious to see the next one. Damn you Sy-Fy channel for canceling it!

The cancellation of SGU is just a symptom of the bigger problem and the bigger problem is that Syfy needs to go back to what it was in 90s (and back to either Scifi or better yet The Scifi Channel) when it first started. If I wanted Reality TV I'd turn on MTV. If I wanted wrestling I'd turn on Spike. If I wanted to watch cooking shows I'd turn on The Food Network and watch Emril BAM!!

I still can't wrap my head around why when there are so many good old scifi shows they can do reruns of and generate a new revival for and maybe even make remakes for these shows or spin offs. Instead they are putting on crap that isn't even science fiction. You know how people say "I remember when MTV was about music." Well now it should be "I remember when Syfy was actually Sci-fi." I'm 25 years old, I'm too young to be nostalgic about things from my childhood.

Edited by Big Mac

It makes me wonder if these cancellations have anything to do with reduced viewer numbers, caused by users downloading the shows, instead of watching them on TV.

Personally, I like watching things when I want to watch them, not when they air on tv, you then have the choice to either record it, or download it.

Downloading being easy(ier)...

Perhaps they need to see that the internet is a better replacement for TV, and start making better usage of that medium instead.

I think that counts the same for Movies, and even telephone (why call cellular when you can call over the net).

It makes me wonder if these cancellations have anything to do with reduced viewer numbers, caused by users downloading the shows, instead of watching them on TV.

Personally, I like watching things when I want to watch them, not when they air on tv, you then have the choice to either record it, or download it.

Downloading being easy(ier)...

Perhaps they need to see that the internet is a better replacement for TV, and start making better usage of that medium instead.

I think that counts the same for Movies, and even telephone (why call cellular when you can call over the net).

4162010103911AM_picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Edited by Big Mac

BigMac, so you are saying Sickboy's idea of the Big Companies finding a way to embrace the Internet where many of the audiences are shifting too is dumb? If yes why is it dumb?

Just last week I read an article from a report from "Convergence Consulting Group" about millions of people shifting over

Who-is-cutting-cable-for-Hulu-Netflix-and-OTA

Edited by ViperMaul

Since I can't watch this show in english on TV or buy it on iTunes (which I would btw!) I have to take other sources... I'd definatly pay for each episode!

(BTW - I'm very excited for the next one!)

I have to admit i do download most of my TV shows, but this is purely because i cannot see them air most of the time. I would also happily pay to be able to watch them whenever i wanted to online.

Thats the problem though, it wont happen while advertising is such as it is (which is also another reason i download, cant stand having to sit through adverts every 5/10 mins). Not sure what its like elsewhere but in the UK especially Sky One shows its just constant adverts.

BigMac, so you are saying Sickboy's idea of the Big Companies finding a way to embrace the Internet where many of the audiences are shifting too is dumb? If yes why is it dumb?

It's nonsense because it has nothing to do with lowered ratings due to people watching TV shows on their computers. What's going on with Syfy is a concept known as "Channel Drift" AKA "Network Decay." Syfy has been experiencing channel dirft since about 2003 when scare tactics first came on and then slowly increased until 2009 when they just kicked it into overdrive with the name change and the focus drifting from what the channel used to be about and perverting it into something I even now refuse to even watch. The same thing happened to MTV years ago. And even better example of channel drift is what happened to CourtTV when it completely went from being about court cases into another reality TV network now known as TruTV.

BTW You can't generate the funding required for TV shows (God forbid motion pictures) today with Hulu type ads. That's why you have about 5-7 mins worth of commercials these days compared to 3-5 mins worth of commercials back in the 90s. Even paying 5 bucks an episode wouldn't cover the required funding for a TV show when you factor in SFX, actor's paychecks, set crew paychecks, transport, food, room and board at set locations, etc.

Edited by Big Mac

This is where I got my dumb thoughts from:

We’re #1! Well, we were anyway. The #1 pirated show on BitTorrent last week, beating out the likes of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, Psych, and Mad Men, and up from #6 the previous week. No actual hard numbers provided in the report, but one can’t help but wonder whether all those illegal downloads have been hurting the show’s ratings. The 30% bump Atlantis receives from the Live+7 numbers suggests that our viewers are tech-savvy (not all that surprising considering they are SF fans) and make use of alternate viewing resources such as Tivo, DVR, iTunes and BitTorrent. Exactly how this affected the show’s ratings is debatable and, at this point, of little consequence, but I just thought I’d mention it.

Time for Double-Facepalm.jpg ? :D

Edited by Sickboy

It's nonsense because it has nothing to do with lowered ratings due to people watching TV shows on their computers. What's going on with Syfy is a concept known as "Channel Drift" AKA "Network Decay." Syfy has been experiencing channel dirft since about 2003 when scare tactics first came on and then slowly increased until 2009 when they just kicked it into overdrive with the name change and the focus drifting from what the channel used to be about and perverting it into something I even now refuse to even watch. The same thing happened to MTV years ago. And even better example of channel drift is what happened to CourtTV when it completely went from being about court cases into another reality TV network now known as TruTV.

BTW You can't generate the funding required for TV shows (God forbid motion pictures) today with Hulu type ads. That's why you have about 5-7 mins worth of commercials these days compared to 3-5 mins worth of commercials back in the 90s. Even paying 5 bucks an episode wouldn't cover the required funding for a TV show when you factor in SFX, actor's paychecks, set crew paychecks, transport, food, room and board at set locations, etc.

yet you can generate revenue with good TV times and internet download sales for bargain price (price differs by quality w/e)

You can't expect good watch rate with pathetic air times

it works ... some can do it...

the point is there that SyFy and similar stations fail on keeping watchers interested in them ...

let me count ... 5 million downloads ... for 1 buck ... oh wait ...

want tell me 1 episode of static show driven by Adobe Premiere and some CGI cost more ? :)

note: i'm sure lot of people would hook up some dozen bucks / month for being able watch each week or two weeks one new episode

Humble TVshow Bundle anyone ;)

Edited by Dwarden