Sign in to follow this  
kavoven

Stargate Universe [SG:U]

Hi guys,

I just finished watching the third episode of the new Stargate series and after getting over having lost all the well-known characters and starting with a complete new cast, I really like the new approach, though I'm still sad that they didn't bring a sixth SG Atlantis season. :cool:

(Yes, there'll be a film, I know)

I was wondering what happend to the super wormhole drive that brought Atlantis during the last episode from Pegasus to Earth and why they didn't use it to bring the Icarus Base crew back, but I found a blog from one of the procuders and he said that this wormhole drive thing will be explained in the movie :)

What do you think? Any other SG Fans out there? :)

Edit

Trailer Season 1

ijtelKzsqSs

Trailer season 2

EHXVAte2pkE

Edited by kavoven

Yeah, there are more of us. This series seems to me to be heavily influenced by BSG... not that that's a bad thing. I doesn't feel like the other Stargate shows to me to be honest, but its barely off the ground. I'll be watching it though!

Thats right, its not as shiny and polished as the others. I'm really excited about the new alien species and especially the new enemy :)

I've really enjoyed it so far. It's kind of a strange mixture between Stargate, Star Trek Voyager and the new Battlestar Galactica.

On the one hand it's obviously set in the Stargate canon, the being lost on a ship a long way from home reminds me of Voyager, while the fact that they're basically wandering aimlessly through the universe is very reminiscent of BSG. Also there's the whole "limited supplies" thing that was also often a theme in BSG (less so on Voyager).

What really sets it apart from any of those series though is the fact that they can actually communicate with people on Earth from the beginning. So it's not the usual "zOMG we're completely cut off from home!" theme.

The characters are also very refreshing for a change (the previous Stargate series were rather predictable regarding their characters). They've basically jumbled things up a bit and introduced some more unusual people, which makes the series a little bit more interesting to watch.

I'm especially interested to see what will happen with the "loose cannon" soldier dude. He seems to alternate between fairly likeable and borderline pychotic, so I guess he could just snap at any moment. ;)

3rd episode was extremely weak ... if they cut half of it , result would be same

I think one problem with a new series is the progress the whole Stargate program made during the Atlantis expedition and the last seasons of SG1 and the logical problems resulting out of this development.

During the first episode when the ships attacked Icarus base I was wondering why the Hammond didn't use its Asgard weapons, since I remember fairly well how they finished off those Wraith ships during episode 4 of SG:A.

But anyway, I agree with you Maddog that the characters are indeed very refreshing. Not so many mainstream guys :)

Edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCj9R0N2a1U

This is the song used in the trailer :)

Edited by kavoven

I think one problem with a new series is the progress the whole Stargate program made during the Atlantis expedition and the last seasons of SG1 and the logical problems resulting out of this development.

During the first episode when the ships attacked Icarus base I was wondering why the Hammond didn't use its Asgard weapons, since I remember fairly well how they finished off those Wraith ships during episode 4 of SG:A.

But anyway, I agree with you Maddog that the characters are indeed very refreshing. Not so many mainstream guys :)

Edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCj9R0N2a1U

This is the song used in the trailer :)

The common excuse for the lack of Asgard weapons is that the Hammond wasn't finished yet. According to the producers, the show starts a week or two after Atlantis ends and the Hammond wasn't ready then and may still not be completely finished now. They may have just needed a way to get people to Icarus so they chose to send it not seeing that there might be a battle. It was supposed to be a secret base after all and from what i'm told the planet is supposed to be pretty close to Earth.

Other than a few minor actions that lacked common sense I have been enjoying it though. I plan to watch it as long as I can and I even took off work for the night of the premiere (my manager is also a fan so he understood and I wasn't needed anyway). Im looking forward to tonight's episode.

stargate universe seems really interesting; "seems" because with only 3 episodes, this is difficult to make a real judgement. but i like the story:

- a ship which chooses the gates, and give 12 hours of explorations

this is great.

i was really disappointed by sg1 at the end of the show: king arthur, merlin!!! lol this was a little bit stupid. the authors seemed to have a lack of ideas.

btw: alaina huffman is almost a copy of amanda tapping, i mean physically :eek:

I actually really like the new series. 3rd episode was a bit boring and the show is pretty slow moving but it's establishing it's base. The show itself is a lot darker and raw, which is good, and a lot more scifi and less military, which is acceptable for now, but I think the show has a lot of promise.

Now this episode (4th) was weak... I'm already really annoyed of Chloe, and Eli running behind her like a dog on heat doesn't help either. What I really liked about Atlantis was that they were telling all the technical details why anything is malfunctioning. Now the ship is just "broken". Hope the next one will be better :)

Btw, anyone else reminded of McCay - Zelenka after the short conversation between Rush and the other physican? :)

Nah McKay would have had the ship working by now and then found some fandaggled way to get a good meal (after all he gets hungry).

Must admit Universe isnt as grappling a previous shows, but i still cant wait a week after each episode to see the next so something must be right.

Gonna watch all of this first season whatever happens...

P.S. I want O'Neill (thats two L's :) ) to swap places with Young for an episode.

On that note why not get one of the old crew like Carter/McKay etc to use the comm stones and give Rush a hand.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

Must admit Universe isnt as grappling a previous shows, but i still cant wait a week after each episode to see the next so something must be right.

Gonna watch all of this first season whatever happens...

Agreed. I also like how it is some what more realistic than the last ones too. At some point I couldn't take the "We lost 14 men today, but we're just going to crack jokes for the last 5 minutes and pretend nothing happened." I understand that humor is the kind of thing that some people do to deal with tragedy but something always felt off about it. Now if they'd just stop firing AT4s at fast moving spaceships.

Nah McKay would have had the ship working by now and then found some fandaggled way to get a good meal (after all he gets hungry).

Right, you got me there :D

Just like a good game, it's set up with a few capable but inexperienced people, in a ship they don't know (older tech they have to guess at, as they are use to the latest technology they had before ascension), and have to learn and adapt. I can't wait until they turn the autopilot off and get control for themselves. (I really like the BSG influence as well, makes it not so storybookish)

I'm really starting to love this series. It's a definite break from the light-hearted tone of SG-1 and Atlantis, which was pretty much the only thing that has always annoyed me about the franchise. Also the fact that the cast is fairly large and there isn't a core group of people (like the SG-1 team or some such) who seem to have "contractual immortality".

In my mind the worst SG-1 episode ever was when O'Neill, Carter and Daniel Jackson were captured by Hathor, and General Hammond sent about 6-7 Teams to get them back. Of course there was a huge battle and something like 15 SG members died... but whatever. The main cast was saved, right? Hooray, time for cocktails!

Thankfully, stuff like this is less likely to happen in SGU. Of course the "central characters" (Dr. Rush, Eli, Col. Young etc.) still won't be dying left, right and center, but they definitely don't have the same kind of plot armor as the guys in SG-1/Atlantis.

I'm annoyed by the rapid camera cuts and sometimes shaky footage (something I could never like in BSG), but other than that I'm surprised in a positive way.

I'm eager to see what kind of (alien) enemies they will put into the show, tbh. I'm missing the "bad guys with masks".

I understand the concentration to the crew itself and their problems being dramatized, but I hope once the problems are solved we will some shooting, lasers, explosions and deaths :p .

One of the producers stated that the big guns of the Destiny will find some use in the future ;)

Now if they'd just stop firing AT4s at fast moving spaceships.

That made me lol too.

I really want Rush to get killed off. What a poom-poom-punani. ...And I used to think McKay was annoying...this new guy takes the cake!

I think my favourite aspect of the show is how Talford is trying to get Young kicked out. I like Young, and can't wait to see him totally embarrass Talford. If I were Young, I would take Talfords body, and then go and get him maimed...perhaps paralyzed. That'd teach him to fuck with me. :bounce3:

I'm pretty excited to see the next 16 episodes.

Abs

One of the producers stated that the big guns of the Destiny will find some use in the future ;)

From Joseph Mallozzi's (Producer) Blog

Paddy writes: “I saw in the opening whislt seeing the destiny that she had some pretty big guns on her* Will we see them in action?â€

Answer: Oh, we will.

Just to reinforce your point with the actual line.

Thats exactly what I read, but I forget the name of the blog and didn't want to search again :D

Thanks!

I thought the episode (Light) this week was very good. This is the first time they haven't ended it with something making me wish that the week was shorter though.

The sex scene at the beginning seemed kind of out of place though.

Right...finally online...

Though it doesn't matter that much, I really, really liked the music in this episode. It was amazing :)

And though the episode was good, I thought it was some kind of ... unnecessary. Nothing actually happend, they simply damaged their Shuttle and you learned more about some intenser relationships, which aren't Stargate-like in my opinion... I think the series needs to move on now, there hasn't been real progress since the first episode.

Though it doesn't matter that much, I really, really liked the music in this episode. It was amazing :)

And though the episode was good, I thought it was some kind of ... unnecessary. Nothing actually happend, they simply damaged their Shuttle and you learned more about some intenser relationships, which aren't Stargate-like in my opinion... I think the series needs to move on now, there hasn't been real progress since the first episode.

Finding out it gets power from stars could be an important detail later. I just want to know what flew off the back of the ship at the end of Air (Part III)

Where do you watch it?

Abs