Sign in to follow this  
jonneymendoza

What if CryEngine was used as Arma 3 future engine?

Not really...on the contrary (there was a post of suma or maruk saying that they might take a break from military games - can't find the source atm).

kk, so there is apparently no reason to diskuss a new engine for a not coming ArmA3...

Sad.

I don't agree. Arma engine is very demanding even in small areas.

Personally I think that it's better to build a good game around a good engine rather than the other way around. Arma 2 will always be limited by it's, hmmm, rather bad engine.

Look at Battlefield 3 for example. Take Frostbite 2 and make a mod for it. Or Cryengine for that matter. That's a better way to go.

BIS guys (and/or girls) are great at many things. But NOT when it comes to engines (physics, graphics).

You don't know anything about the engine. It works great for me in enormous maps, and smaller areas are a breeze, even on my dated PC. The only thing that slows this game down is mass AI (mainly in single player) which has nothing to do with the engine.

And all this talk about physics is silly. The physics kills PC's even in games like Mafia 2. I had to lower it on my PC because I don't use nVidia and I don't have a dedicated physics card. Put physics like that in a game like Arma 2, and you'll make the game unplayable. The sensible solution to flying tanks and stuff is to just tweak, not throw everything out. Although it looks silly, I was always impressed because the flying men/characters do that because the game understands how much force has hit them. For example if I shoot a tank head on with my tank, sometimes it just explodes. However when I shot a tank with my tank, but I was far away up a mountain, my shell fell from the sky with added force and landed near the tank not on it, and that made the tank fly in to the air. That's an intelligent engine, and the forces are the same as real life. The only difference between that and real life, is that in real life things would shatter and disintegrate before they flew that far. Shooting a man with a tank should make their body disintegrate in to a shower of blood.

Edited by Pummel

BIS guys (and/or girls) are great at many things. But NOT when it comes to engines (physics, graphics).

Engines = physics, graphics? I didn't know that

How about the gameplay and AI which CryEngine and FrostBite 2 lack as you are basically playing a camera operator on tight maps unable to influence the game in any way, just watching models play animations - which I assume means great engine?

RV isn't bad, it's just old. It just needs to be modernized; which BIS has slowly been doing. Keep in mind they don't have the same resources as other developers that work with decade old technology (well, modernized versions of them), but RV still has a lot to offer that most other engines don't (and obviously suits BI's needs).

Alright, go ahead and assemble a list of games that actually have 200+ square kilometer of terrain accessible in each and every mission, at a level of detail that makes it look good from an altitude of 300-400 meters as well as with your nose in the dirt. You'll find that the list will be rather short.

Look at Battlefield 3 for example. Take Frostbite 2 and make a mod for it.
Good luck!

1 - We don't know anything about Frostbite 2 and it's limitation. In fact very little at all except from the few trailers (that doesn't showcase any large scale maps but only urban warfare).

2 - It has been pointed out several times by DICE that they will not release any MOD kit for BF3 (Frostbite 2). They claim that it would will be to complicated to make a working set for mod communities (which I personally think is BS, but that's another story for another forum).

Who said there will be ARMA 3 coming? ARMA 2 is not finished yet!

Every engine has its limitations, just take Frostbite 1.5 as an example... it just don't supports Prone and Lean!

Edited by avengerzx

not another round of let's have CE3 engine ...

not gunna happen ... period ...

avengerzx ...

i prefer this Physical engine over paid ones http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/

Actualy you can have to bunnies with one hit alone.

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-ecosystem-2010mar8.aspx

BF3 has the solutions from HL2; "bake" it all.

And all this talk about physics is silly. The physics kills PC's even in games like Mafia 2.

That's because CPU is good for processing general data, not massive loads of parallel execution. That's why IMHO the future of physics is OpenCL acceleration via GPU. SIMD's are the answer. A discrete card with 80 shader units would be enough if used exclusively for this.

As for MP sync problems, the engine could still use it's old physics system.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

no, i only hint what i prefer ... it has nothing with company stance on the subject :)

at least for the moment

{Dwarden takes out his "Bullet" driven equipment and goes on 'adopt IT' rampage}

Dwarden, you gotta keep insisting man. It's time for the Spanel brothers to let good physics be implemented in Arma 2. At least for SP.

And Bullet is awesome, it's open source and could be accelereted via OpenCL.

Three words: "Take on Helicopters". This is the future of BIS. The finished product will make CryEngine developers look like a bunch of CryBabies.

Three words: "Take on Helicopters". This is the future of BIS. The finished product will make CryEngine developers look like a bunch of CryBabies.

Yes. They will cry all the way to the bank. It must be terrible making super-popular multi-platform AAA titles that sell 10 million copies, instead of niche PC exclusive civilian heli sims :D

what a joke cryengine 3 turned out to be. a blooming console port!!

place your bets please on how battlefiled 3 will end up the same.

looks like arma 2/BIS are the ONLY pc exclusive company out there it seems. i hope BIS never sells its souls to the console croud.

what a joke cryengine 3 turned out to be. a blooming console port!!

place your bets please on how battlefiled 3 will end up the same.

looks like arma 2/BIS are the ONLY pc exclusive company out there it seems. i hope BIS never sells its souls to the console croud.

I still have some hope regarding BF3.

As to what crysis 2 is, a here's my view on it:

WDwFM.png

This thread seems to be on the defensive a lot. I'd prefer if this engine did do well, so that it motivates BIS to make the Arma series even better than it is at the current state. A bit of healthy competition does no harm.

i made this thread in assumption that crysis 2 was going to be a hit but i have changed my mind now and feel that the current engine is good enough and just needs tweaking here and their.

all this engine needs is better destructible physics and that will be fine. for me, arma 2 is the bets looking game on the pc and the ONLY game that is not dumbed down for the masses.

Cry Engine 3.0 made into a little bit of something like ArmA :]

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

i'm fully aware of availability of DMM v2 API via AMD sponsorship for free to Bullet engine users ...

and for the AI and Specular lighting, or Ambient Occlusion...

Physics

You guys should use Unreal Engine 3.0 DX11, Unreal Engine 3 runs very well on peoples computers and it has been mentioned that it will support Teraflops, greater source of video memory, 20 or more cpu cores, and a very nice editor to build in. But you guys are running the show, I would be interested to see great improvements in the physics and detail!!! AI also is a very important role in this agenda... but Unreal Engine 3.0 DX11 is much better than Cryengine because it has more effects and some what a more flexable environment. They said unless people are licensing the Game Engine then it is going to wait for release whenever the next generation consoles fly around the corner. And then it will transition into Unreal Engine 4.0.

Edited by DeclaredEvol

Even though it is a great engine in itself, UE3 would not suit an arma-like game or so many reasons. It uses lightmaps instead of realtime lighting for example.

Maybe Red Orchestra 2 will prove me wrong though, can't wait to play it :)

Cry Engine 3.0 made into a little bit of something like ArmA :]

This has been posted like dozen of times before. What that video is about is just a portion of arma scale. Instead of being hyped for nothing, you should be waiting for additional information about it. The existing is nothing but precise in terms of size, simulation, ai etc.

and for the AI and Specular lighting, or Ambient Occlusion...

You quoting dwarden about bullet physics system and the AMD Fusion API because UE3 has NOTHING to do with bullet physics?

You guys should use Unreal Engine 3.0 DX11, Unreal Engine 3 runs very well on peoples computers and it has been mentioned that it will support Teraflops, greater source of video memory, 20 or more cpu cores, and a very nice editor to build in. But you guys are running the show, I would be interested to see great improvements in the physics and detail!!! AI also is a very important role in this agenda... but Unreal Engine 3.0 DX11 is much better than Cryengine because it has more effects and some what a more flexable environment. They said unless people are licensing the Game Engine then it is going to wait for release whenever the next generation consoles fly around the corner. And then it will transition into Unreal Engine 4.0.

dude, you have no idea about what you are talking here, do you? Are you copy pasting from some website, because put together has very little sense..

Although i am sure these sort of thread will go on forever, even if you've been told several time that you are comparing apples with rocks...

@Dwarden: is there the slightest idea inside BIS collective mind that they might be including bullet in a future game...say Take ON?

There's lots of RealTime Immersive Inc videos now. Looks great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RealTimeImmersive#p/u

Apparently this is what they're about:

RealTime Immersive, Inc. (RTI) is a simulation and serious games studio established to support CryENGINE® licensees in the serious game and simulation market space.

RealTime Immersive is focused both on the implementation and support of the CryENGINE® technology, and making continued contributions to the advancement of the serious games/simulation industry. RTI not only licenses the technology, but also offers a full spectrum of services, development, consultation, training, and support for its licensees.

If they can contribute, even just a little bit, to giving the simulation games market a boost, I'm all for that.

Edited by breyz

Hi, if they make a modern infantry mil-sim game with that engine... i'll buy it for sure. Let's C ya

irony about the DX11 remark is that

we have Ambient Occlusions already in A2: OA on DX9 engine for quite some time ... :D

also Specular Lighting is possible in DX9 too (don't we have it too ;) )

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb147399(v=vs.85).aspx

anyway i'm not saying DX11 is not better at all... it shines in completely different areas

also You dont know how epic's licensing work because each major v needs new license ...

so if you buy v2 you dont get v3 for free same goes for v3 to v4 etc.

also You get for free only engine updates in minor builds

if there is major jump e.g. 2.0 to 2.5

and you released prior the 2.5 release you will need to pay upgrade fee

ofcourse UDK licencing is different then UE itself ... as it's aimed on indie and small budgets ...

anyway why we discussing UnrealEngine or CryEgine etc. is beyond my understanding ...

Edited by Dwarden

anyway why we discussing UnrealEngine or CryEgine etc. is beyond my understanding ...

Some people want more shiny. :p