Sign in to follow this  
jonneymendoza

What if CryEngine was used as Arma 3 future engine?

And with CryEngine3 now being used in a so called "military sim" style game.

Where you have this info, i thought they develop simulation software for the industry and the army, no game.

Also you have no clue about arma, go back to your codemasters opf...

Do you really think they couldn't make it work?

Crytek is one of the most advanced developers in regards to technology and honestly I don't think Bohemia is as good as them in that area (no dissing, I really like ArmA in most aspects).

Crytek is so good yet they still haven't made a single game. Releasing only tech demos with primitive turrets for AI. And even then Crysis 2 is already a huge step down from Crysis 1 in terms of graphics thanks to them going multiplatform.

I have access to the educational license of CryEngine 3 and according to Crytek CE3 has "infinite worlds" streaming technology. It streams everything automatically and you don't have to set anything up manually.

I don't know how well it actually works, but I will try that once I am back at university later in March (if I can manage to pass one very important exam that is).

CryTek says many things to sell the engine. But from what we could see so far based on their oh so "advanced" engine - the reality is not so bright.

Honestly I don't know why people insist that CryEngine is a good enough competition. It's primitive. Unreal Engine is far more advanced and even then it still lacks good enough AI code and large area optimizations. Graphics != advanced.

Edited by metalcraze

Crytek is so good yet they still haven't made a single game. Releasing only tech demos with primitive turrets for AI.

One of the best FPS games ever is not a game?! You best be trollin' :rolleyes:

How is the AI less primitive than say any Call of Duty game? It's not.

Edited by Pulverizer

Both are horribly primitive and scripted, there is actually very little AI...

In COD is far worse than the crappy AI in Crysis.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Real+Time+Immersive+CryEngine+3

This is the military simulation game that is being developed with CE3.

It is not going to be for the public sales.

They aren't even developing their own game, they develop custom games at client requests and also consult on how to best use the CryEngine for other simulation developers... Infact I am pretty sure they are a sub-company of Crytek.

What game are you talking about? Because CryTek didn't release any good ones. Far Cry was mediocre at best saved by its truly open areas. Crysis was already moving to wide corridors with passive AIs and had boring "cloak-kill 2 guys-repeat 1000 times" gameplay making its graphics the only point of interest. The thing that developers were also throwing a dozen of AIs at you at once because they couldn't provide a challenge in any other way but overwhelm you by the sheer number of bullets hitting you didn't help gameplay as well

CoD games don't have AI, just static human models opening fire as soon as the player steps onto the trigger. Optionally they also play an animation set by the designer like diving behind the box and opening fire from there.

Crysis has AI but it's pretty primitive. Every bot can only act within 20-50m radius of its original position, when they move out of it they immediately run back.

I've never seen any of them following me further than that even if I was wiping out their comrades just around the corner.

Edited by metalcraze

What game are you talking about? Because CryTek didn't release any good ones. Far Cry was mediocre at best saved by its truly open areas. Crysis was already moving to wide corridors with passive AIs and had boring "cloak-kill 2 guys-repeat 1000 times" gameplay making its graphics the only point of interest. The thing that developers were also throwing a dozen of AIs at you at once because they couldn't provide a challenge in any other way but overwhelm you by the sheer number of bullets hitting you didn't help gameplay as well

Crysis, but FarCry was a pretty funny game too.

You don't have to use cloak at all. It's not the game's fault if you don't have the imagination to try anything else.

Of course one or two soldiers are not too much trouble in Crysis. You have a bad-ass nanosuit. That was the whole point of the game, being a tough son of a bitch who kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything.

CoD games don't have AI, just static human models opening fire as soon as the player steps onto the trigger. Optionally they also play an animation set by the designer like diving behind the box and opening fire from there.

Crysis has AI but it's pretty primitive. Every bot can only act within 20-50m radius of its original position, when they move out of it they immediately run back.

I've never seen any of them following me further than that even if I was wiping out their comrades just around the corner.

Yeah, but that's more of a design choice than an AI limitation. You can't have AI wander too far off their post or else you could trick them to leave huge areas unguarded, making the game too easy.

And who in their right mind would chase an invisible guy who is almost impervious to bullets deep into the jungle anyway? I know I'd rather dig in.

If the AI was really smart, they'd round up every soldier, vehicle, explosive and gun they got at the level exit and set a massive ambush for the player but that wouldn't make for a very interesting game.

Where you have this info, i thought they develop simulation software for the industry and the army, no game.

Also you have no clue about arma, go back to your codemasters opf...

Well whatever it is, its definantly going to keep this thread going. Especially if they are like this:

V396uuiAsU

And as for the "no clue about arma" shit, I've been playing the original Ofp:Cwc for years. And still enjoy it and ArmA. I have "no clue about arma" just because I also play other games? :rolleyes:

Either way, with videos like the above demonstrating CryEngine in RealTime Immersive Tech demos. The whole CryEngine as a realism engine wont die.

It would be nice if a BI dev could clearly state if they somehow plan to use another engine or not.

IIRC the answer is no. Not now, not next year and probably never, because RV is their engine, they made it, they know precisly how it works, they want to upgrade it as much as possible and...they just love it.

But you know guys, just a few words of wisdom from you could allow such a thread to be closed and sink into the BI forums' abyss.

51 pages of "yeah it would awesome" or "no it would sucks because..." is just getting boring, people are repeating the same things again and again.

BIS repetita, lol

Please, you have the power to end this chaos !

;)

Edited by Macadam Cow

One thing I think about for Arma3 engine is that other game they are making.

It's good that BIS is making something else and learning new things.

what other games? you mean vbs1/2? that's a simulator they sell. they don't learn anything new because it's their engine. they already know how it works.

He means Carrier Command.

AFAIK, there will be no ArmA3 in a while, they are sick of this type of game. Hence they move on to a broader audience with the recent acquisition of game studios.

{grins evilly}

what if game is like dice roll :) ...

serious pre-renders' are just really nice but You need to have the complete product to sell aswell :)

The thing that struck me about RealTime Immersive is how flawless everything looked. I'm not talking about graphics, I mean everything - the whole package seems to flow more naturally than any game I've ever seen. Then again, they're promo vids so you can't really know for sure :)

The thing that struck me about Flashpoint 2 is how flawless everything looked. I'm not talking about graphics, I mean everything - the whole package seems to flow more naturally than any game I've ever seen. Then again, they're promo vids so you can't really know for sure :)

See what I did there.... :p

It would be nice if a BI dev could clearly state if they somehow plan to use another engine or not.

IIRC the answer is no. Not now, not next year and probably never, because RV is their engine, they made it, they know precisly how it works, they want to upgrade it as much as possible and...they just love it.

But you know guys, just a few words of wisdom from you could allow such a thread to be closed and sink into the BI forums' abyss.

51 pages of "yeah it would awesome" or "no it would sucks because..." is just getting boring, people are repeating the same things again and again.

BIS repetita, lol

Please, you have the power to end this chaos !

;)

you've walked into the light my friend :D

im agree ARMA 3 should be CRYENGINE 3 im not sure but i think something like a map editor was a good idea too creating your own terrain and using 3ds for creatinig stuff like objects and if there was a possible way with a good tutorial how to build a map and all

--> ]MacReady[ <--

MacReady[;1855623']im agree ARMA 3 should be CRYENGINE 3 im not sure but i think something like a map editor was a good idea too creating your own terrain and using 3ds for creatinig stuff like objects and if there was a possible way with a good tutorial how to build a map and all

--> ]MacReady[ <--

Yeah it would be great if you could make maps for this game, and maybe even some kind of addon, and also missions, that would be great if you could do that and play them with friend on some kind of internet or something.

Yeah it would be great if you could make maps for this game, and maybe even some kind of addon, and also missions, that would be great if you could do that and play them with friend on some kind of internet or something.

Oh you.. :p

Most ArmA 2 gamers don't even know the true potential of RV. Most of us haven't even seen VBS2 in action, let alone the newer versions of VBS2.

Well, I hope they do not reproduce in VBS2 the ridiculous weapons animation they do in ArmA2 ! :rolleyes:

Well, I hope they do not reproduce in VBS2 the ridiculous weapons animation they do in ArmA2 ! :rolleyes:

I doubt thats much of a problem for vbs2 users...

vbs users are more interested in the simulation and how much it can resemble the real world in terms of situation. animations is something they might care much about.

I dont think Cry3 can handle such environment, freedom and big amount of units, indeed you will need a super computer in this case.

During playing GTA IV I realized that it has near to everything what ARMA2 has, except ballistics, building damage and stuff. There are good physics, vehicles, choppers, large playground(more complexer than Arma2, as its is a city), not a bad AI etc..

I think Arma3 based on such engine is more realistic than an expensive(and believe me it is expensive) cryengine...

Unfortunately original Arma engine becomes more and more nor up to date, with ist crappy physics, stupid AI, which cant fight in houses or cities and can see through grass walls etc...

I think if Arma3 has any future, so definetely the engine must be reworked by 80%, or the game will not be actual...

But in any case BI has our full support and should keep such great project alive in the future.

Chances of one games developer letting another games developer use their engine....zilch.

Cry engine is totally different and for a different type of game. There is no sim aspect to it. I am happy with the Arma 2 engine and graphics, the processing that happens in the background because it is a simulator is immense. Every shot fired is modelled to act as it would in real life.

Last weekend I had the AS50 and I shot at maximum range at a guy who was hidden behind the shield on an artillery piece. The shot hit the shield, penetrated and killed the target. The amount of hardware grunt deployed in working that single shot much have been mental, and nothing like the very crude systems used in most FPS games, when have you ever seen bullet drop in MW2?

Crysis is a great game, some of the mods for it make it utterly insane, but it is still a general FPS game that just happens to look very nice. There is no way the cryengine could ever be made to emulate what ARMA 2 does.

Cry engine is totally different and for a different type of game. There is no sim aspect to it.

Take a look at this first then evaluate.

-V396uuiAsU

CryEngine 3 can be licensed to companies & studios to develop on their own titles using all the features within CE3

One of the Military Simulation (Not for public) was Real Time Immersive, must be glad it will not be available for the publicity

Edited by avengerzx