Sign in to follow this  
jonneymendoza

What if CryEngine was used as Arma 3 future engine?

CryEngine is GREAT but it is not an ultimate universal game solution.

If the Cry Engine 3 can integrate co-op then we modders could make an ArmA-type mod... no doubt. CE3 has the Infinite Streaming Worlds according to the intro video so we'll see how it handles larger terrains.

It just pains me to see the poor performance in Chernarus when I'm blown away by the amazing results from games like BF:BC 2 & Crysis Warhead.

If Operation:Arrowhead can bring a 64bit.exe to the table, I welcome it with open arms.

Apples and oranges. UE3, CE2, id tech, Source etc are designed for entirely different purposes. They do what they do extremely well. Arma2 engine does what it does, but only so-so well IMO, but at least it's pretty much the only one of its specific kind so kudos to BIS for originality.

Bohemia Interactive is a small company, they know and love the engine that they're using now (Forgot the name). There is absolutely no point in using the CryEngine 3, it's expensive it's something Bohemia isn't used to and we can already do alot with the engine we have, though it would be nice, it isn't necessary.

correct!

It is better for them to use an in house engine imo, and it is especially better for the mod community.

RV engine could use some 64bit OS support and the stuff already mentioned a million god damn times.

Rebuilding an engine is:

A) would put BIS into bankruptcy

B) Training the devs to learn new code would be costly in itself

C) Little benefit over entire input

Its fun to speculate about, but honestly this wont happen.

Anything is possible, so BIS could maybe add 64bit support, and other new rendering techniques and tech, that wouldnt warrent entirely rebuilding their base foundation for the RV platform.

The main issue is that in RV when you set some AI units on the other side of the map and let them fight it out by themselves they are there, doing their thing, in the real environment. The streaming technologies in CE and other games are much more focused on the players location and things around them.

If I had a Euro for every half-wit who says "BIS should use the Crysis engine, I hear its pretty lolololol!!!1111", oh the life I'd lead...

imo the eye candy of arma 2 is fine. its just the physics that are sub par. You can level a building dynamicaly like in BC2. you can destroy trees and other vegetations liek in BC2/Crysis.

If you want to simulate a real war you need to make the world itself act and feel like your in a war.

When i play arma 2 and inside a town being bombed my fighter jets and large heavy tanks, i still see buildings standing.

Now take a look at a real world location like iraq. Where ever their has been a conflict, that area has been smashed to bits. i just dont see that in Arma 2 at all.

Also, the sound effects on Arma 2 are sub-par imo. They really need to make the sounds more realistic and dynamic. BC2's sound effects are amazing and many here would agree on that.

Just look at the arma 2 expansion thread. people are wishing the new expansion will have BC2 kind of audio effects.

BIS sound is more realistic.

Not just bombastic.

I like that.

It's not so much a simple game, but a serious attempt of a milsim.

Agree that destruction effects like BC2 would be amazing but thats like asking Dice to create a BC2 with a full world scale -no easy task. Think about the gripes we already hear in terms of performance now magify that times a 1000 :eek:

Sounds could be beefier though I agree.

If the Cry Engine 3 can integrate co-op then we modders could make an ArmA-type mod... no doubt. CE3 has the Infinite Streaming Worlds according to the intro video so we'll see how it handles larger terrains.

It just pains me to see the poor performance in Chernarus when I'm blown away by the amazing results from games like BF:BC 2 & Crysis Warhead.

If Operation:Arrowhead can bring a 64bit.exe to the table, I welcome it with open arms.

It's not merely the issue of streaming large islands that the Crysis engine needs to do - it also needs to evolve away from a player-centric game engine. By this I mean that the ArmA2 engine handles everything that happens on the island, no matter how far away from the player. So if two opposing groups encounter each other 10 km away from the player, the engine still handles everything that goes on, the tactics, the weaponry, the stances, the inter-group communication, the pathfinding, everything.

It might be said, by some, that what happens so far away from the player is unimportant, but that is the core of the ArmA2 engine, it's ultimate fidelity. Giving that up for some meaningless fluff is not really on the cards for many of us, including me :)

They could keep most things the exact same and just add the following feature thats been proposed at DH and I think a lot of people would become very happy. :)

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/9436

Yes I just put in a vote at Dev-heaven for that, for the newcomers: please sign up over their at dev-heaven.net your voice will be heard more, also if you have issues with a beta patch or ACE best places for contact. :)

RV is very module it seems, BIS could pull alot of suprises for future expansions and products.

RV engine could use some 64bit OS support and the stuff already mentioned a million god damn times.

Rebuilding an engine is:

A) would put BIS into bankruptcy

B) Training the devs to learn new code would be costly in itself

C) Little benefit over entire input

Its fun to speculate about, but honestly this wont happen.

Anything is possible, so BIS could maybe add 64bit support, and other new rendering techniques and tech, that wouldnt warrent entirely rebuilding their base foundation for the RV platform.

So I guess they go bankrupt. Win8 is 64bit only. All Microsoft server products from the current 2008 R2 forward are 64bit only. Heck even the majority of Linux servers will be 64bit only in the next years. And why would I run a 32bit VM just play a game on a kickbutt 64bit system?

Even now when the average person goes to BestBuy to get a computer it is loaded with Windows 7 64bit. This is a mandate/requirement from Microsoft. Even if it has only 3Gig RAM. They are on the push to change it all to 64bit. Maybe BIS does not know this as they are in Europe?

As a company you either adapt to your customers or go out of business.

Edited by Punisher5555

We don't need a new engine. We need vassssst improvements in what we have. We need physics, render-to-texture, SDK availability, and better hardware usage from all sides of the game.

1. Win8 being a 64-bit OS doesn't mean it cannot run 32-bit programs. Only that it cannot be run with 32-bit processors. People run 32-bit programs in 64-bit Win7 all the time.

2. Compiling a 32-bit game as a 64-bit one doesn't mean you have to rewrite it. Do you think they made CryEngine2 two times from scratch to get a 32-bit and 64-bit executable?

They are on the push to change it all to 64bit. Maybe BIS does not know this as they are in Europe?

Of course, we in Europe don't know what's happening outside our frontiers. Micro...what ? never heard about this company.

What about Red Faction Guerilla's Geomod 2 engine? Way ahead of CryEngine and Frostbite 2 in terms of destrutible environments imo.

Maybe BIS does not know this as they are in Europe?

As a company you either adapt to your customers or go out of business.

And as a forum member you only post intelligent comment on subjects you know inside and out.

Oh.. wait...

No you cant, You cant even shoot and break through glass's in Arma 2 and their are next to no bullet Holes in buildings and fences. Not to mention how you cant even blow a hole in a building using a tank sums it up really.

The destructible enviornment in this new engine looks more dynamic and real as a posed to what we see in Arma 2 where buildings only get destroyed when you have taken over a town or something. Even the explosions on building in arma 2 look proper fake with no debris and objects flying all over the place like you see when a real building colapses.

The possibilities are endless

to change that they don't need to change the engine,just change a few variables(for blowing up the houses with tanks),do some textures(for the bullet holes),and a really minor engine upgrade(this could be done in an expansion)

to change that they don't need to change the engine,just change a few variables(for blowing up the houses with tanks),do some textures(for the bullet holes),and a really minor engine upgrade(this could be done in an expansion)

Yes i agree so why cant they implement it?

All i ever ask is better sound, beef up the animation and add in fully destructible physics and what you have here is an epic engine.

Funy reading, try to thing about that more. Just imagine, when you will destroy tree, is AI able to move with that tree that blocking way. Is AI able to make some engeneering decissions, when they will be blocked inside ruins, call engeneering support or have so advanced behavior to be able prepare traps by blocking ways. What i trying to say, its not about making holes in houses, its about writing fully adaptive AI that will be able to operate in so dynamic world. This is very very far future just for sing AI agent and you want that for squads. This is possible in games with prescripted behavior, not in dynamic simulation.

Funy reading, try to thing about that more. Just imagine, when you will destroy tree, is AI able to move with that tree that blocking way. Is AI able to make some engeneering decissions, when they will be blocked inside ruins, call engeneering support or have so advanced behavior to be able prepare traps by blocking ways. What i trying to say, its not about making holes in houses, its about writing fully adaptive AI that will be able to operate in so dynamic world.

Yep, that what we want, and it's obviously that everyone here can do it in 2 days, including alpha and beta testing, if you want help, just pm us.

<ironic=OFF/>

:D

Funy reading, try to thing about that more. Just imagine, when you will destroy tree, is AI able to move with that tree that blocking way. Is AI able to make some engeneering decissions, when they will be blocked inside ruins, call engeneering support or have so advanced behavior to be able prepare traps by blocking ways. What i trying to say, its not about making holes in houses, its about writing fully adaptive AI that will be able to operate in so dynamic world. This is very very far future just for sing AI agent and you want that for squads. This is possible in games with prescripted behavior, not in dynamic simulation.

Well Arma(2) AI already walk through fences, walls and sometimes even houses...

I wouldn't see a problem if they continue to do this with collapsed trees/torn apart wall parts and whatnot.

I don't see any issue here to be honest.

And you're not a programmer or familiar with the AI code in the RV engine. So I dont see how you're qualified to comment, to be honest.

Well Arma(2) AI already walk through fences, walls and sometimes even houses...

I wouldn't see a problem if they continue to do this with collapsed trees/torn apart wall parts and whatnot.

:) problem is that all map of "enterability" is known at a begining, when you will change that, you must regenerate all that in real time! But this still not solve problem when AI will be catch up and there will be no way out.