Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Unfortunately it looks like digital download is the future.

I'm not a great fan of digital downloads as I've had nothing but problems with them after the first installation. Keys need re validating by e-mail or only so many installations then you have to email for a new key etc. Never was able to install and play Queens Gambit. :mad: That's why I was adamant that I was going to get ArmA2 on DVD and not through a digital download.

But after reading this comment by Tripwire regarding publishers offers (while defending Valve's process and royalty structure):

We were getting pitched offers (from publishers) like, "We'll give you a 15 percent royalty rate, take the IP rights to your game, and slap a $1.5 million administrative fee on top of your recoupment costs."

it's hard to see how any small developer could hope to succeed going through a publisher and why a developer would prefer the digital download to shelling out the majority of any potential profits to cover the publishers "administrative fee" (which I assume would be production costs, advertising etc.).

Note that I have no idea what BI's publishing agreement stipulated and whether or not this is typical , though according to Tripwire it was. There probably are publishers out there that are far more reasonable as Tripwire did eventually manage to publish RO:O as did BI with ArmA1 and 2 and I doubt they paid a $1.5 million administrative fee

If only they could devise a digital download system that is independent of the provider so that you simply downloaded the game content (maybe even c/w cover art??) that could be simply burnt onto a DVD which could then be used to install the game,as many times as you liked without having to constantly be in touch with the DL provider trying to get your key re validated. (or maybe they have....I just don't know about it :o)

In my view anything tied to a DL provider such as a one off payment for an item = bad.

I will never go digital download for anything, as long as there is a choice.

But it does get marketed in such away that it all gets funneled down a single path, or at least tries too.

Independent for as long as possible I say, and thats with all things.

Sorry, and not to be a commercial, but I got A2 from gamersgate.com - easy as pie. Got it before in stores (well, still haven't seen it in stores anyway). Can keep the install setup on my HDD for backup. Can re-download if necessary. All the "normal" patches apply - no need to wait for Valve updates.

This was my first time for any digital download for a significant game, and I gotta say I couldn't be more pleased.

I love digital download as well.

I've been using digital distribution for a couple years now. Every game I own has been purchased through either steam or D2D of which I probably have 60-70 titles.

I have unistalled and re-installed many of them time and again and I have never had 1 problem with steam or D2D.

I prefer steam because games patch automatically, but D2D has been a pretty good service overall.

The only issue I have ever had on any game was getting a patch for Frontlines on D2D and then it was resolved in 48 hours.

I'm sold on digital distribution. Nothing better IMO.

You guys can keep the disks.

Edited by ICE-Raver

I made a Steam account when Half Life 2 came out and bought the game on there. Years later I tried logging in and re-downloading the game...guess what it wasn't listed in my account and Valve support accused me of lying. I'll never use any form of digital download again.

The convenience of steam is very large.

The overhead it gives is not so good.

I allready have many games through steam, that could become a problem if they go out of business. Only open-source could counter that problem in the long run.

Monk.

Thats a good point being funneled under a few online umbrellas, if a few were to go down the toilet, where are you left to go? You may say keep the disks, but I say ... I want the disks like I want a hard copy of my bank statements each month :)

Sorry, and not to be a commercial, but I got A2 from gamersgate.com - easy as pie. Got it before in stores (well, still haven't seen it in stores anyway). Can keep the install setup on my HDD for backup. Can re-download if necessary. All the "normal" patches apply - no need to wait for Valve updates.

This was my first time for any digital download for a significant game, and I gotta say I couldn't be more pleased.

I'm with you here. Their system seems to be the best around. Download, burn to disc, put on backup drive, throw cheese at it and worship it as the second coming. Do as you like with it pretty much. They don't limit you to using their service like Steam does, where it can only be updated with the Steam version. It's like having a physical copy without the actual disc, unless you burn it to one. They give you the key code if there is one, you keep it somewhere safe and tada, good to go.

Digital distribution can go f**k itself.

That's what I will say until it becomes international like the rest of the internet.

Steam prices are comepletely unfair. I have to pay $90 to get for example Wolftenstein. $90 f**king bucks!!! If I get it in a store (ie with a box, manual, all that extra - and expensive - crap) I pay around $50. Still expensive, but that's as low as it gets here.

And that's STILL cheaper than getting the US prices on Steam.

Its not exactly like we're on 56.6K anymore and need servers like a kilometer from home. Downloading from my neighbour and from Australia is all the same.

I personally stick with a combination of both, for ArmA2, I bought it off Steam, mostly because it was the best place to purchase it.

The automatic updates for Steam is nice, but not necessary.

One of the biggest issues I have with games on CD/DVD is finding them after a few years of them laying around somewhere. That and the clutter keeping 50+ games would be.

Digital distribution can go f**k itself.

That's what I will say until it becomes international like the rest of the internet.

Steam prices are comepletely unfair. I have to pay $90 to get for example Wolftenstein. $90 f**king bucks!!! If I get it in a store (ie with a box, manual, all that extra - and expensive - crap) I pay around $50. Still expensive, but that's as low as it gets here.

And that's STILL cheaper than getting the US prices on Steam.

Its not exactly like we're on 56.6K anymore and need servers like a kilometer from home. Downloading from my neighbour and from Australia is all the same.

Big assumption there (still on dial up here as broadband is not available).

Funny enough I never buy downloads.

Big assumption there (still on dial up here as broadband is not available)

well here city networks are fiber with 100mb down/up. Dialup went obsolete like 8 years ago - country wide 7.2 mbps 3G is about as bad as it gets.

I liked Steam for a while, and remember their start-up marketing spiel, about how "DL is cheaper, because we don't have the costs associated with hard-copy!" Etc.

Now they charge as much, if not more, than high-street retail, where you get the disc, manual and box. Then you have to wait at their convenience for patches, while everyone else is down-loading them elsewhere a week earlier.

Steam/Valve have become greedy parasites who offer ZERO advantage over a hard copy bought from a shop, and consequently can get stuffed from here on in as far as my purchases are concerned. Last game I bought from them was HoI3 (got a refund for that POS

), ArmA1 and 2 were bought from the shop.

To me download only is like a cashless society thats being pushed for, all controlled digitally (with a nice on off switch and trackable) ... dont care what medium, if its not physical and un attached then I walk the other way.

I bough the retail version of Arma2 for about 320SwedishKr (~ $45) which IMO is a reasonable price. The price at steam were almost twice as high.

Then there are stupid developers that forces their customers to use steam even if they have a retail copy.

Bought Empire Total War in February and unfortunately all patches are only available via steam and they will also autopatch :annoy: so you cant choose which patches you want to install.

which is a very bad thing since CA managed to mess up their game big time in v.1.2 and onwards.

What is really funny is people continue to blame steam for the cost on titles and it has been stated numerous times. The publishers set prices on Steam.

Yes the steam international pricing system is pretty foul. But again, if you look at actual Valve games the retail pricing seems to be on par.

It is the other publishers who push the pricing trying to balance against a weak dollar and the fact that in many places in Europe the wage difference is quite large hence the pricing - Look at Australia.

The minimum wage in Austrailia is nearly twice that of the Minimum wage in the united states hence why when people talk about spending $90 on a game.. well that tends to be the average price.

The average worker in Australia is making over $2000 a month vs those in the us make 1/2 of that.

There are a lot of factors that tie into game pricing and digital distribution however Valve as a company is not the one to blame sense they do not set the price on titles that are not theirs.

I'm all for DD and have used it numerous times, although I did purchase a physical copy of ARMA II which is something I rarely do these days.

I got ArmA 2 via Steam simply to avoid the DRM that some publishers choose to use. The price was on par with that in stores, yea I didn't get the hard copy and box but avoided a lot of hassles associated with it as well. I have several titles via Steam and while I'm not a big fan of their system overall (if you lose connection before switching to offline mode you can't play the games offline) it has worked out fairly well. The problem with everyone going to DD is the assumption that everyone that wants your product has/wants an internet connection.

Now they charge as much, if not more, than high-street retail, where you get the disc, manual and box. Then you have to wait at their convenience for patches, while everyone else is down-loading them elsewhere a week earlier.

Really?:rolleyes: I mean if you don't like digital download that's your right, but don't say stuff that isn't true.

I have never had to wait a week on any patch. The longest I have waited was a day.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

I don't know anything about international DD.

All my experiences have been in the US with steam and D2D and I am more than happy with their services.

Hell most stores don't even carry but a few PC games anyway. And most of those have been collecting dust for years.

Publishers have been screwing over the developers since....

Thomas Edison - "Said Mary Had a Little Lamb" into a microphone and somebody wanted to sell it.

I'm ALL FOR Developers to make 80% and pay 20% for advertising etc.....

I mean look at the recording industry..... They created the MP3 format so they could easily catalog their titles, then people got wise. Now they don't even have to pay people to press vinyl. No production costs as far as media. And they still want more.

I'm very much for Indie development and distribution. Directly to user.