Sign in to follow this  
9thAircav

kiska / skira ,does anyone want to see this island in A2 ? (the OFPDR island)

The only thing that makes Skira (in OFDR) a nicer island than most Arma islands, is the resolution. Can the level of landscape dumps and rigdes be copied? I also like the fact that there are proper highground locations on Skira, unlike Chernarus that only have some hilly areas where the high ground advantage can't be taken advantage of tactically due to trees always covering the view. I'd like to see the highlands of Sierra de los Pinos/Tres Valles and Sierra Madre/Valle Azul areas of Sahrani, but not so much of those inaccessable mountain "peaks" of Sahrani.

I wouldn't mind a few selected areas to have forests, preferably old conifers (OFP style trees, young trees in Arma serve only one purpose, to block your view). For foilage, I think what is used on Utes would serve just fine. No need for that tall grass found in Chernarus, except maybe a few lowland places?

I'm not into map making, so I don't know what is possible. But it would be nice to have those Chernarus settlements in. Basically, copy & paste from Chernarus into Kiska if at all possible. I don't care about authenticity here, since the naked terrain used in OFDR makes it a bad playground. But using Chernarus settlements, you get all those extras for free: Road signs, villager voices using correct names etc.

Arbitrary carved wide rivers would also be most welcome. Wide, so that AI can navigate boats. Keep these away from settlements though, since AI has a tendency to walk into water and kill themselves. A fight over a town becomes very bad once AI starts drowning themselves.

Destroyable brigdes are fun, but also these should be kept outside settlements. AI is completely unable to navigate them in addon islands that I've tried. I prefer brigdes as a natural objective and road shortcut, but AI should be able to navigate around brigdes. Maybe a new brigde replaces an old more cumbersome road?

unfortunately the lowest terrain resolution we can get in arma2 with suitable performance is 10 meter cells. ofdr has 2.5 meter cells

Hm Chernarus also has less than 10. It does impact performance though I guess.

I liked the look of the salt plains in OpF: DR but they somehow managed to fuck that up royally, I'm sure it will be a hundred times better in Arma 2 and it's already looking great, keep up the good work! :)

would be nice to see this in arma 2. Especially if the OFDP optimized terrain and grass can be imported as well to make the game run just as smooth as DR

What the hell is "OFDP optimized terrain and grass"? You mean indestructible trees? :p

Sahrani vegetation would fit for performance issues. However the Chernarus vegetation isn't a problem at least for me.

What the hell is "OFDP optimized terrain and grass"? You mean indestructible trees? :p

Sahrani vegetation would fit for performance issues. However the Chernarus vegetation isn't a problem at least for me.

Yeah, later maybe there can be different versions. But first one version must hit the downloadbutton :yay:

Are there some http links to the nzdf Projekt?

still working on the island. work has been slow because of other projects

Ah okay, i have an ask about the Island, do you plan to set ArmA2 Buildings on the Map or will you try to build new more OFP2 like Buildings?

I would love to see an "exact" copy of the DR world, but with all the arma2 bells and whistle :)

Keep at it rstratton! Your island looks like it will become superb. :)

Cant wait.

Tidy!

Oh this is gonna be good!

:yay:

Isn’t there a PLA or Chinese forces download out there two?

I'll set about making my own DR

The DR camp is based (more or less) on a book by by Tom Clancy The Bear and The Dragon

well well well, IF codies can 'adapt' a story to fit their needs then so can we, 'eh?

Sir, yes we can, Sir! :D

I'm going to plan a story on Skira not envolving USMC, only Russia and China. The history of the island will be very like in one of the DR trailers. I liked the idea of going back to WW2 so I thought of this idea:

- 1942 Japan conquers the russian island Kiska

- 1944 China conquers Kiska during the second Sino-Japanese War

- 1945 After World War II Japan loses the terrain in a treaty to China

- 1945/1946 - Beginning of territorial conflicts between Russia and China around Kiska

- 2012 Discovery of rich sources of minerals that a important for the tank production

- 2012 China forces the remaining russian civilians to leave the island, however some russians remain to form up a small resistance force

- 2012 Russia wants Kiska back and sends a fleet over there

Don't know who'll win yet :)

Sir, yes we can, Sir! :D

I'm going to plan a story on Skira not envolving USMC, only Russia and China. The history of the island will be very like in one of the DR trailers. I liked the idea of going back to WW2 so I thought of this idea:

- 1942 Japan conquers the russian island Kiska

- 1944 China conquers Kiska during the second Sino-Japanese War

- 1945 After World War II Japan loses the terrain in a treaty to China

- 1945/1946 - Beginning of territorial conflicts between Russia and China around Kiska

- 2012 Discovery of rich sources of minerals that a important for the tank production

- 2012 China forces the remaining russian civilians to leave the island, however some russians remain to form up a small resistance force

- 2012 Russia wants Kiska back and sends a fleet over there

Don't know who'll win yet :)

not too bad mate.

dont decide who wins. Build two campaigns, one for each side.

let the player decide who wins...

LOL! ^^

yeah sounds a bit "overdone" as a name, but its yours to name. :) No matter what it will be great im sure.

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but does the game allow such a large map? have you scaled it down to your needs?

Is the OFP DR island even that much bigger than chenarus? you never play most of it in game anyway (i do have it)

official name of my island is skarikiska

How about Skariska? That has flavor from both the real name and Skira ;).

EDIT: Nevermind. I probably have no clue what I'm talking about.

Abs

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but does the game allow such a large map? have you scaled it down to your needs?

Is the OFP DR island even that much bigger than chenarus? you never play most of it in game anyway (i do have it)

To give you an example of size Skira and Chenarus are roughly the same size, can the arma2 engine handle it sure, we already have desert maps much bigger than the standard BIS map.

The Australia Island map from memory is 1600km2 where as skira/chernarus are about 225km2.

please don't believe the hype at the CM forums the map might be big but you don't use it.