Sign in to follow this  
Vino3

Tactical Nuclear Device

I've been thinking about editing an aircraft weapon (or making a new one) which will fill the role of a Large Destructive Weapon. Like a small Tactical Nuclear device or MOAB (Massive Ordnance Air Blast) or something similar. However, my problem is that i do not know how to edit the weapon characteristics concerned. (Strength, ROF, Blast Radius, Ammo etc.). I have looked through several pbo files and have not found anything but images or shadowed texture files - which im not really after. So if any1 could please reply with some heplful info on how (if it is possible) to find and edit these weapon files then that'd be highly appretiated.

Oh soz bout the spam Rellikki..;)

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

This will be up for download once complete.

Thanks mate, that helps...but its not what im really looking for, I cant actually find any of the files i need. If you know where the files i need to edit are could you please tell me?

If i'm not mistaken you have to open a .cpp file there you will find the config of the weapon/vehicle etc.. it may be binarized so it will be a .bin file and you will need a unbin program, IF i'm not mistaken. Check armaholic for such program i usually find it there

Btw even if you change the damage and radius value, it will still miss all the visual effect, like a bigger esplesion/mushroom cloud etc... for that you need some knowledge about particles and some other, you might want to check JTD smoke and maybe ask the author, but it's surely not easy if you want to do something properly

Edited by Uglyboy

For a MOAB or tac-nuke you need to make a number of configuration files and roll it up as a an add-on ( new pbo file ).

You need entries for - at least...

A weapon - to represent the bomb launcher - ( the pylon on the jet ).

A magazine - the represent the bomb(s) on the launcher.

The ammo - this being the bomb itself. Hopefully with a model so it looks nice.

If you look at existing configs for bombs you can work out the scaling rules for your weapon.

The coding is not that hard, tuning it takes a while.

If you want to make a nuke you have a lot of work for the extra effects. Be sure that you stick to small kiloton ranges if you want to call it a tactical - most people tend to make their battlefield nuclear weapons in yield ranges well beyond the tactical range.

I think the hardest thing I have found when trying to accomplish this is making the visual effects different... For example, taking a GBU 12 which is a 500lb bomb if im not mistaken, and turning it into a 2000lb JDAM... The visual effect needs to have a bigger "boom" to it... But that is the only thing I have not yet found how to change.

Well and that`s where there is the real difficulty in this thing. Tweaking hit parameters is easy. There is by now countless nukes out for arma1 who have great visuals already, why re-invent the wheel? Just have a look how they did it.

Yea for sure, for the original poster maybe... But personally, nukes make this game really crappy and boring. However a JDAM could be useful. GBU's are all well and good, but nothing puts the fear in people more than a 2000lb bomb :P

Does anyone know of any information as to how to do this?

Edited by Schilly

im not sure if its bigger or not..but the d30 shots explosion might be a bit bigger, you could try that

yeh ive seen that...its really good. the cloud should stay in the air for longer but it is none the less very good. i am anxiously awaiting its download.