Sign in to follow this  
Adjutant

Console version of ARMA 2

this is description from official Arma 2 site.

and it was obviously a lie, so what? I have so many new, really great games on the shelf for the 360 that I don't know how to find the time to play thru them all, so I don't care about the lies of Bohemia anymore. Or about the lies of Codemasters...

Grim

There is/was a very rough version running on 360. BIS won't go any further than that without a publisher and some $$$ assistance. So you can't say never, only that it is incredibly unlikely.

If I can't run this game all that smoothly with my rig, I can't imagine trying to run it on a console...

Maybe at super-low detail settings.

If I can't run this game all that smoothly with my rig, I can't imagine trying to run it on a console...

I dont want to go that much offtopic, but your specs seem pretty high. I have lower specs and I run ArmA2 all good, 45< FPS all the time. Well Chernogorsk is just poop but anyways.

After a weekend over friend, playing shooter games on PS3, I cant imagine ArmA2 being played on it, all th complex commands and stuff. :p

I also noticed that MW2 on PS3 is pretty... "ugly" compared to its PC version, so again, what kind of poop would ArmA2 look on console?

The uglyness comes also from that consoles cant have large textures right? Console ports seem to look like shit when it comes to textures. Get "close" (even meters away) up to a wall on a console and its just a blur.

Crap. :D

I think the fact that they could spend time with only one chipset would help quite a bit. A console version would work fine. THe 360 has some perks to it.

Jesus christ you cant be kidding :confused:

If I learn to overclock my CPU from 2.6ghz to your 3.8 since its a quad it should run the game like lightning.

GTX 280+ I think have massive issues with Arma 2, maybe you would be better off just running one card.

Yeah the game is unoptimized but I can get usually Keep 30FPS on Utes not Chernarus with my 9800GTX on Very High settings.

Also if I finally learn how to do the ramdisk im sure it will be better since I got 8GB of ram high frequency

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

The uglyness comes also from that consoles cant have large textures right? Console ports seem to look like shit when it comes to textures. Get "close" (even meters away) up to a wall on a console and its just a blur.

Crap. :D

512x512 is probably the only texture size used in that Other game

Cough *Dragon crap* Cough

sniff sniff. :p

yes ugly indeed, yet console users still chant PC is a waste, look at the messed up LOD in every console game, there only good when they have 100 of the same models switching about every 3 meters.

BAH!

The Playstation 3 would run ArmA 2 better than the XBOX 360, however, they would both run like rubbish unless some serious compromises are made.

The Playstation 3 would run ArmA 2 better than the XBOX 360, however, they would both run like rubbish unless some serious compromises are made.

I'm not so sure of that. The 360 is as capable as about half of the rigs people post on this forum. Could it run hundreds of AI? No. My rig barely can. Could it run 60-80(how often do you see more than that in campaign?) probably yes.

You guys should look beyond the "stats" on the 360. It has a south bridge that handles most functions normally associated with the GPU for example you can run AA with virtually ZERO hit to performance. Also the memory, while low, is very very fast. The "world map" in arma 2 could easily run on any console. BIS would only have to rework the AI.

Edit for the dragon rising is one of the worst looking console games, bad example to trash consoles with. Look at GTA4TBoGT and just cause 2 for how impressive the aging 360 is.

Edited by Whoatherefatty

@Whoa

like you said the real challenge is getting the AI to run on the consoles, eliminating the frame rate limited to AI bug and Interface design and how to layout the controls.

If Arma 2 and OA make its way to consoles it would be better if the 360 version used Project Natal that way instead of wasting abunch of buttons to issue simple commands, you could just use your voice.

Well and since it would only be running on 512mb ram and 512mb vid ram BIS would have to make alot more LOD's if they wanted to keep such high fidelity models and viewdistance.

But with some genius User Interface Design,Tight responsive controls (lacking in A2) and some easier to play and have fun Multiplayer, I think Arma would do exceptionally well on the consoles.

BIS can beat codemasters to the punch (like always) and maybe even do its own Templargfx's Island war to please all those Coop people like me. :)

Yes There would be compramise but don't count out that old tri-core. I know it probably won't see the light of day, I just get worked up seeing people say it's impossible. There are two things that absolutely bug the crap out of me: console players that overstate the power of the consoles and pc players that understate the power of the consoles. This is because most of the arguments are retarded like a pc guy says I have 8 gigs or ram my machine is better. Or a console guy saying my BFBC2 looks almost as good as the game on a$2000 machine. Most games don't care if you have that much ram and BFBC2 is a multiplatform port and doesn't really break any ground as far as pc graphics. So both arguments are usually just retarded.

You guys should look beyond the "stats" on the 360. It has a south bridge that handles most functions normally associated with the GPU for example you can run AA with virtually ZERO hit to performance.

Is that why console games have no AA what so ever and hide that fact with excessive blurring, filmgrain and other crap? Come on! Consoles are not bad gaming platforms but please don't elevate them to something they are not. High end PC's.

Dragon Rising is actually a good example of the restrictions that consoles have. Codemasters just made the mistake of using a crappy driving engine to make the game with.

I see that most people here use the. excuse of graphics on consoles. So now we want graphics over g ameplay? When ofp elite was on B the Xbox, it wasn't the most graphicly good game was it? But it was Ofp on consoles. I wouldn't care if ARMA 2 looked like crap I would still buy it because its Ar

ms 2.

You would buy it, but you are only one person. Even console gamers are all about the graphics these days. If it's not up to MW2/BC2 standards, it won't sell, even though a handful of fanbois wouldn't mind the horrible gfx.

Publishers don't do fan-service, they only want money and frankly Arma2 is the polar opposite of games that are making money on consoles.

But none of these "excuses" really matter unless they come directly from BIS so keep on dreamin' bro :D

Neil do some research. You are uninformed and your post is clearly a troll post. And I've already said DR sucked because of CM, not any "console limitation". Look at just cause 2, gtatbogt, and soon to release red dead redemption to see massive free roaming worlds more detailed than armas running silky smooth on console. The only problem would be BIS' AI, again, I already said that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247802-33-xbox-xenos-anti-aliasing

Pulverizer, funny how you have nothing to do with consoles yet you post in every topic about them. Also, Arma barely sold on pc so of course it would be a niche title. If they sold copies like that "other game" that would be just over half a million copies on console. You are just plain dumb if you don't think BIS would be happy to sell a half million on console.

Edited by Whoatherefatty

I find consoles an interesting topic to discuss about. If the pro-PC attitude here gets to you, perhaps you'd be better off on some forum that isn't about a PC exclusive game.

I'm sure BIS would be extremely happy to sell 500k copies on any platform. The problem is they don't have a publisher that is willing to take the risk of investment to make Arma2 happen on consoles, hence my previous post.

...... they don't have a publisher that is willing to take the risk of investment to make Arma2 happen on consoles, hence my previous post.

So if you have nothing new to say.....

You almost single handedly got AVIBIRD's thread closed and clearly you are trying to do the same thing here. Just let the few console players that have heard of this game voice their desire to play it and move along.

I don't see any harm in BIS handing off their code to another CM type of company to produce a console port. It would be handled 95% outside of BIS and wouldn't affect the PC game at all.

I own the pc version and I have a pretty slick rig, however I would GLADLY pay 59.99 plus tax to play this on live with my friends, even with only 16 players, 1km view distance, a unit cap, etc, etc. For these limits aren't why DR failed. DR had so many bugs, a total lack of support and misleading statements out the wazoo pre release, the least of it's problems was the are only 64 units on screen at once.

...roaming worlds more detailed than armas running silky smooth on console. The only problem would be BIS' AI, again, I already said that.

Chernarus is much bigger., Has more objects on the map, and has a MUCH longer draw distance/View Distance. Has better filters( well duh, your games are console so they suck at filtering)

Not sure why you posted the T hardware link?

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I own the pc version and I have a pretty slick rig, however I would GLADLY pay 59.99 plus tax to play this on live with my friends, even with only 16 players, 1km view distance, a unit cap, etc, etc.....

? Play what? Only 16 players. you even have 16 friends? (doubt it) I hope BIS puts out a lil Console game. Good for the bottom line. I have played alot of small engagements with less than 10 players, would work on a console. It will be a different game, a lot less game than the PC version.

Chernarus is much bigger., Has more objects on the map, and has a MUCH longer draw distance/View Distance. Has better filters( well duh, your games are console so they suck at filtering)

Not sure why you posted the T hardware link?

Just cause 2 is MUCH bigger than arma and MUCH more detailed with a view distance nearly twice arma 2's on max(just checked the demo actually and you can see beyond 15km. And the Tom's hardware link is because of the guy who said the 360 can't do AA when in fact it does do 4x fsaa almost without affecting the GPU at all. Jeez, do people even read the topic they are posting in? And yes, 16 players is pretty much standard on a p2p service like xbox uses. EA and a few other have paid for their own dedicated servers but BIS would never do that so 16 players it is. 16 player co-op is still fun.

Here let me show picture so the slower kids can understand. See how the eDRAM can transfer at 32 GB/s to the GPU? Okay good. See the other transfer speeds? Good. Maybe you learned something about how you can make lesser tech run more efficiently than higher end tech with a different overal structure than a pc uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:X360bandwidthdiagram.jpg

Oh and good job on your incredibly weak attempt at making fun of me. Yes I have more than 16 friends.

edit - I have never even been able to join an arma online game anyway, much less find a game with more than 4 people in it.

Edited by Whoatherefatty

People, lets keep it civil. There's no need to trot out the howitzers for every perceived slight or insult.

So if you have nothing new to say.....

Repetition is the key to sharing information and learning stuff.

Mr. armydude did not appear to know some things what I was saying, and had a differing point of view about some other things, so I thought it was a worthwhile post.

You're the one derailing the thread, making personal attacks, digging up old shit etc, so maybe take a look in the mirror before accusing someone else of trying to get the thread closed.

Oh and good job on your incredibly weak attempt at making fun of me. Yes I have more than 16 friends.

edit - I have never even been able to join an arma online game anyway, much less find a game with more than 4 people in it.

I dont have 16 friends that play Arma 2

FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFFUFU

16 player Coop on consoles would be fun! I really like the Coop in that other game but nobody plays that other game anymore. ;)

Also Just Cause 2 is an amazing looking game even if the texture quality is alittle lower than Arma 2, it does sport a Massive Viewdistance and it has very High polygon Terrain something lacking in A2. :o

Just Cause 2 AI is not too good but that wasnt there focus it could've been alot better.

I dont have 16 friends that play Arma 2

FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFFUFU

16 player Coop on consoles would be fun! I really like the Coop in that other game but nobody plays that other game anymore. ;)

Also Just Cause 2 is an amazing looking game even if the texture quality is alittle lower than Arma 2, it does sport a Massive Viewdistance and it has very High polygon Terrain something lacking in A2. :o

Just Cause 2 AI is not too good but that wasnt there focus it could've been alot better.

No one specified 16 firends that play arma:p I know about 4 people in real life that would play it and live/message boards would just find me the other 12. The 360 will always have a lower texture resolution and overall resolution when compared to a PC game running on higher settings. What do you expect for a gaming system that cost as much as my GPU?:rolleyes:

Whoatherefatty you are not going to win with most of the old times on this forum. Just Look how most of this community acted towards the PR guys. The PR guys just wanted to make this game a little more for player vs player. This will only help the overall community to grow and it will then bring in more players to the COOP WORLD. (COOP is the best way to play this game design) but most online gamers today want player vs player.

This game can work on a console with some minor changes to the overall gameplay. The controls can work fine just just look at the elite setup. The bottom line FPS are played more on console then PC now. The PC market has more RPG's/RTS and TBS war games this is true but FPS consoles all the way.

Yes, PC can handle more then a console this is a fact, but Consoles are easy to play (push button and just play) and have a better support system for friends. The bottom line if BOHEMIA wants to be in the game business in a few more years or make real money they need to get back into the console market. You guys can't stop father time and time is on my side not yours.

Can't we all just get alone. We all like the same type of games. We should be brothers. We all want the same thing a game not like HALO/COD/BF/GRAW/RB/OFPDR. Why are we fighting. Bohemia said they want to make a console game and they are working on it but it will never be until someone puts the money on the table for them to make it work right that is the bottom line.

This game can sell on the console just look at the numbers for OFPDR it did very well for a shit game but console players wanted a game like ARMA. Yes more console players want COD this is a fact but more people play console FPS and if arma made it on the console there will be more console players playing then PC players and that is the hard cold truth my friends.

So Whoatherefatty keep up the good fight I am going back to battelfront and my TBS wargames until some real news comes out and waiting for rockstars new console game RDR. AVIBIRD OUT.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1