Sign in to follow this  
Adjutant

Console version of ARMA 2

Free look can be accessed by pressing the right stick, I forgot to mention this.

However you are still not explaining how Elite's command system worked.

In my example (provided above) you can move around, turn, aim and fire the weapon, and go prone, AND select teams, AND issue orders all at the same time.

Now I have questions, can you move and turn while issuing orders to your squad in OFP:Elite? Ponder on this question.

Edited by Adjutant

Right stick free look sounds clunky, i would rather the trigger system, you also get zoom control with the trigger unlike sticks.

The problem with your command system is there is no "teams" in ARMA at least in the the sense your scheme works. Units are controlled individually, not like Dragon Risings fireteams.

And yes you could still move will commanding in Elite (External cam only?) it was cluncky but possible.

I am struggling to understand "clunky but possible", could you post a similar picture to mine and I could tell you the weaknesses of it.

Notice again that in my example you can: move, turn, select teams, aim weapon, fire, go prone, zoom in, modify weapon settings all at the same time without having to go into any submenus (while the command menu is up).

I am struggling to understand "clunky but possible", could you post a similar picture to mine and I could tell you the weaknesses of it.

Notice again that in my example you can: move, turn, select teams, aim weapon, fire, go prone, zoom in, modify weapon settings all at the same time without having to go into any submenus (while the command menu is up).

Adjutant the Elite command system is simply to complex and deep to do so, hence my broad description and not going into details.

On your PM and i could live with your scheme but it just seems far to dumbed down IMO, you may have easy and free control of your character but the options are shallow, where are commands like drop weapon, look in direction, scan horizon, go prone, how do I command my troops to move to an altogether out of view location? What about vehicle commands, the way the command system works in Elite/Arma would leave the player with very shallow commands using that scheme.

Perhaps you should find a copy of Elite and test it out, you'd have an idea of how the game works and be in a lot better position to make a suitable scheme. You say you tried it out in your first post but every post since you dont seem to know anything about it. I guess your friends are the ones who have played Elite.

Edited by ricbar89

I accept that arguement ricbar. It is accessible, but gives you less functions.

Your criticisms did lead me to produce a slighltly different system which gives far more opitons. Here we go:

14sped.jpg

el5krq.jpg

As you can see, we now have drop down menus that can have many more commands, but yet again you can only command teams and not individual soldiers. If you want to send troops to an out of view location, you have to select map and use the menu just in the same way.

Edited by Adjutant

I accept that arguement ricbar. It is accessible, but gives you less functions.

Your criticisms did lead me to produce a slighltly different system which gives far more opitons. Here we go:

14sped.jpg

el5krq.jpg

As you can see, we now have drop down menus that can have many more commands, but yet again you can only command teams and not individual soldiers. If you want to send troops to an out of view location, you have to select map and use the menu just in the same way.

WOW you have been call out for being a big fat liar. You never played the ELITE and you have no clue how the layout worked. How can you make something better if you have no clue what needs to be better. Do all of us a solid and go play the elite. Look me up on xbox live and I will play with you and we can go over the layout and then maybe you could make some suggestions to BOHEMIA LOL until then STOP with the layout posts and go continue to smoke your pot and think of layout designs for BOHEMIA MAYBE ONE DAY THEY WILL GIVE YOU A PAYCHECK LOL

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

My friends played it on XBOX, I played OFP on my PC. I have not lied about anything. The most important point in this suggestion is that you cannot control 11 soldiers individually with a game pad, which is why you need to have fire teams on consoles.

My friends played it on XBOX, I played OFP on my PC. I have not lied about anything. The most important point in this suggestion is that you cannot control 11 soldiers individually with a game pad, which is why you need to have fire teams on consoles.

You are a fat liar and now everyone here knows the truth about you.

YES YOU CAN it was called the color squad control menu. You had five colors(white,blue,green,yellow and red) that you could but 1-12 soldiers into any color squad and then you just gave the color squad an order and guess what they followed that order to the T.

So you could have five different fire teams jackass and if you played with a mission that was ported over from the PC then you could have more then 12 men to put into your color fireteams. Please go play the F game so you will have a clue what you are talking about. Have a nice day.

You guys are hillarious.

Thats all - carry on.

Yes I know but I am calling him out I can't help myself but when people talk crap it drives me nuts however I am lol all the time. I know this is a game and it's for fun but did you look at his layout design wow he must be right. BOHEMIA should call him up right now before codemasters gets him on the payroll lol

However you are still not explaining how Elite's command system worked.

As others told you already, if you want to improve the Elite control pattern, then go, buy a Xbox1 and OFP:Elite and play it for yourself. The game's controls were near perfect and all folks I know never had any problems with it. The only problem I had was the damn fog when flying. Otherwise the game was great.

Grim

AVIBIRD calm down, jeez.

Adjutant your new team command scheme is looking a more like the Elite one, just much more simple. I could live with the fireteam system (ie AI put in to their coloured groups) and being as the largest vehicle group is 4 i guess it could work.

On your overall scheme i dont understand the need for half the bottoms, why do we need a weapon mode button as well as an equipment button? Dont forget OFP/ARMA has a ingame menu system then has been ported to xbox perfectly. We need a single button to cycle weapons (or hold for menu) and the ingame menu would do the rest like enter vehicles, place sachel, lower weapon, turn on lights etc.

For me A would be open ingame menu, X would be reload, hold for fireselect menu, B would be weapon cycle (between last 2 selected weapons), hold for weapon menu, Y go prone/stand up.

Left trigger would be freelook and zoom (leaning would covered by this too like in Elite), Right Trigger Fire.

Bumpers would be map and compass.

Analogs crouch and ironsights.

The direction pad would then be dedicated to team command.

Back 1st/3rd person toggle.

That scheme bar a few changes worked excellently in Elite.

AVIBIRD calm down, jeez.

Adjutant your new team command scheme is looking a more like the Elite one, just much more simple. I could live with the fireteam system (ie AI put in to their coloured groups) and being as the largest vehicle group is 4 i guess it could work.

On your overall scheme i dont understand the need for half the bottoms, why do we need a weapon mode button as well as an equipment button? Dont forget OFP/ARMA has a ingame menu system then has been ported to xbox perfectly. We need a single button to cycle weapons (or hold for menu) and the ingame menu would do the rest like enter vehicles, place sachel, lower weapon, turn on lights etc.

For me A would be open ingame menu, X would be reload, hold for fireselect menu, B would be weapon cycle (between last 2 selected weapons), hold for weapon menu, Y go prone/stand up.

Left trigger would be freelook and zoom (leaning would covered by this too like in Elite), Right Trigger Fire.

Bumpers would be map and compass.

Analogs crouch and ironsights.

The direction pad would then be dedicated to team command.

Back 1st/3rd person toggle.

That scheme bar a few changes worked excellently in Elite.

Fair enough. In my opinion, if you have a single button for multiple functions that is when controls get cumbersome and sluggish. Also OFP's ingame menu was very difficult to use, sometimes there were be too many available actions and it was difficult to scroll to the right one when under fire.

I remember trying to switch to a LAW launcher when there were some bodies lying around. The problem was that there were too many actions (i.e. pick up grenade, ak74, satchels etc.) and I could not find the action that I needed. This made OFP very frustrating to play at times.

When you have different keys (i.e. equipment and use) you will get less confusion when wanting to select an item.

Wow, I can't believe I just read all 7 pages of this thread. Please continue on.

Indeed. :j:

I don't believe we ever see console version of Arma 2.

Fair enough. In my opinion, if you have a single button for multiple functions that is when controls get cumbersome and sluggish. Also OFP's ingame menu was very difficult to use, sometimes there were be too many available actions and it was difficult to scroll to the right one when under fire.

I remember trying to switch to a LAW launcher when there were some bodies lying around. The problem was that there were too many actions (i.e. pick up grenade, ak74, satchels etc.) and I could not find the action that I needed. This made OFP very frustrating to play at times.

When you have different keys (i.e. equipment and use) you will get less confusion when wanting to select an item.

True about the menu, but if we were to loose it and all the options with it the game would be terrible, its well worth keeping.

And dont forget having hold button menu's will take some of those options out of that list, for example if you want to pull out a LAW it wouldn’t be listed under A menu, but B menu (weapons menu) instead.

And OFP/ARMA contols have always been sluggish, taking out so many options to speed up the game simply isnt worth it, nor is it OFP/ARMA anyway IMO.

Indeed. :j:

I don't believe we ever see console version of Arma 2.

Why not, tones of evidence, BIS said they wanted to, originally ARMAII was listed as next gen console, theres 360 files in ARMAII and the latest AO footage the game appears to be running of a 360 dev kit.

Why not, tones of evidence, BIS said they wanted to, originally ARMAII was listed as next gen console, theres 360 files in ARMAII and the latest AO footage the game appears to be running of a 360 dev kit.

I think the memory is the problem with developing this size game to a consoles.

Like we see in OfpDR. No mission editor, disappearing bodies and also everything else much more simplified than in original Ofp. I don't think the devs purposely raped the Operation Flashpoint name.

Cross platform games = shitty simplified console games

I think the memory is the problem with developing this size game to a consoles.

Like we see in OfpDR. No mission editor, disappearing bodies and also everything else much more simplified than in original Ofp. I don't think the devs purposely raped the Operation Flashpoint name.

Cross platform games = shitty simplified console games

Luckely ARMAII isnt cross platform and Elite showed BIS dont dumb down the game.

And i dont see how DR can be used as an example, its not meant to be a milsim but a tactical shooter and its CMs very first attempt at a game of this scale, pretty much eveything they have dont intil now how been racing games, you think dev skill/experience might be a factor in the negative aspects of it?

Luckely ARMAII isnt cross platform and Elite showed BIS dont dumb down the game.

And i dont see how DR can be used as an example, its not meant to be a milsim but a tactical shooter and its CMs very first attempt at a game of this scale, pretty much eveything they have dont intil now how been racing games, you think dev skill/experience might be a factor in the negative aspects of it?

I know it possibly could be nowhere near as sim as BIS games, but these two things clearly shows that consoles are missing something important.

Think about it. As long as there's been shooter games where there is bodies left in the battlefield almost every gamer has hated when bodies disappear from ground and still they do it ?

Everyone waited the mission editor as it was clearly pointed in the official forums and still they left it out from console version ?

Even CM devs can't be that much idiots.

I found it funny how they marketed the allmighty gore system of Ofpdr. Very realistic looking wounds visible in bodies. They just didn't tell us the corpses disappear before you get to look at them. :D

Edited by Potatomasher

I know it possibly could be nowhere near as sim as BIS games, but these two things clearly shows that consoles are missing something important.

Think about it. As long as there's been shooter games where there is bodies left in the battlefield almost every gamer has hated when bodies disappear from ground and still they do it ?

Everyone waited the mission editor as it was clearly pointed in the official forums and still they left it out from console version ?

Even CM devs can't be that much idiots.

I found it funny how they marketed the allmighty gore system of Ofpdr. Very realistic looking wounds visible in bodies. They just didn't tell us the corpses disappear before you get to look at them. :D

The reason for those problems is the EGO engine, hence why the PC have the same if a little better limitations.

Disappearing bodies, tethers and PVP boxes (inability to stream 2 places at once) are EGO's limitations.

And this thread isnt about DR anyway...

I personally don't want to see it ported to consoles, mostly because alot of the console owners think they are best right off the bat, and tell everyone else they suck when they have no idea how good the other players might be. I know it's a bad example for a game, but: When I play CoD4 on pc I feel I am playing with high quality players, and feel we're all even at skill (wanted to add: at the end of each cod4 pc match you'll see at least 5 people say GG which stands for good game). However, when going over to the ps3 version, I have people that are actually arguing over the microphone about their prestiges, ranks, and how much better they are (and also playing music, making stupid sounds, and telling off all the other players because of ethnicity and such). Within the next round I find myself on top, and the person that was talking about how good he was, is still saying how good he is compared to the people below him (I notice it all the time in console version). I think alot of this is caused, mostly because consoles have no server control whatsoever! If I were to do what I explained above on the pc version, I would be at least banned for a week or forever from that server. PC has quality and quantity control, consoles don't.

Edited by TimeDeatH

Those Xbox's were not turned on. Despite being a dev kit, the light still must be shining green or the system is not on. I think they strategically placed them there to hint that they are keeping that possibility in mind.

ArmA 2 Xbox 360/PS3 button mapping

Although the game itself was highly unsuccessful, OFP: DR’s control layout was ok, because even though DR failed as a simulation, it exceeded as a more Battlefield style game, mixed with realism (to a certain extent) which, well for console gamers like myself was good as it’s ‘realism’ was a good change from ‘realistic’ console games such as Rainbow Six Vegas or GRAW with still enough action for the average CoD tard to enjoy. (I am not a CoD tard)

I AM NOT A FAN OF OPERATION FLASHPOINT DRAGON RISING OR THE WAY CODEMASTERS DEALT WITH MAKING THE GAME FOR CONSOLES AND PC AT THE SAME TIME, as I agree with a lot of this people on this thread (avbird1 comes to mind) when I say any game developers with high hopes for their games, ESPECIALLY GAMES LIKE OPERATION FLASHOINT OR ARMA should make their games on PC first and make them on console after, instead of at the same time e.g. Operation Flashpoint Elite over Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising. But I also agree with everyone (‘avbird1’ again comes to mind) who says that ArmA 2 could, with a few adjustments to graphics, frame rates and resolution and all that technical stuff could quite possibly come to consoles, look at Elite, that was great. Now I know ArmA2 has ten times more controls than elite, so this is where Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising comes in.

Dragon Risings main two issues (apart from ai, not mission editor consoles, shit mission editor pc, realism is almost as bad as rainbow six if it wasn’t for bullet drop, dickhead developers think because they made a good racing game and helped develop best game ever they can develop their own version with the same name. Etc) was the command system and simplicity (both the game and developers). The commands themselves were, coupled with the AI where sh!@! But BI could easily add their own commands so in my next paragraph don’t say I am comparing ArmA2’s command system to DR’s.

OK Control Layouts:

ArmA 2 moddified DR layout:

RT: Fire weapon

LT: Aim down the sights, press halfway to move gun similtaniously with camera veiw (default in Operation Flashpoint: elite)

RB: Quick command radial (give orders to team(s).) (note fire support avaliable to player would also apear here as would any other element of support.

LB: Sprint while moving. Lean while standing still.

LS: move,

Click to crouch, hold for prone.

RS: Free look, (as in move head separately to weapon)

If LT half pressed look with weapon raised (this is the default method of aiming in Elite.

Y: 1st/3rd person

When single unit selected in commands menu press to play as them. You can do this is ArmA 2 I assume.

X: reload.

Hold for ammo options: e.g. FMJ-HE(for grenade launcher equipped weapons)-HEDP or SABOT-HEAT (for tanks) or Frag- Smoke-IR.etc

B: Equipment menu e.g. K-BAR-M16A4, SMAW-MEU (SOC)-M67grenades- Binoculars-Compass-Field dressing-watch.

Maybe double tap to switch to pistol.

A: Action Button

Press to clamber over fence, open door, get in jeep etc.

Hold to enter menu;

Salute, do push-ups, put M16 in Jeep etc.

Up (d-pad): Turn torch(if available) on/off.

Right (d-pad): IR tracker on/off

Left (d-pad): Change Rate of Fire.

Down (d-pad): NVG on/off.

Back: Bring up map, compass and watch .

From here you can issue those ‘pc’ only commands using every over button, seeing you can shoot in map mode. Or if They choose to use the paper style map that u can't interact with this button could bring up the command view like in elite instead where u could issue orders and all, but this could get pretty complicated.

Start: Pause game and bring up the pause menu.

I mentioned field dressings in the equipment list because in my understanding on the health/medic system is that you get shot but you happen to survive, you attempt to slow down the bleeding with field dressings and then you can call a medic and he will attempt to use all of his equipment, (such as clotting agents, anti-nerve agents, and those vein clamper thingies. I don’t expect this game to have complex actions for all of these items I was just listing a couple of items a medic would use in real life to attempt to save a casualty. If there is HOLLY SON OF A NOONGAH (aboriginal name) I AM STEALING MY FRIENDS ALIEN WARE AND BUYING THIS GAME NOW!) And if the medic is successful in saving your life you can continue to play but with ability effecting injuries e.g. get shot in arm and you can’t steady your weapon as well or get shot in the leg and your movement is affected, sprinting completely out of the question. But if you get, say, a leg blown off or you get a really serious injury and you become seriously incapacitated a medic can attempt to save you (obviously with a much lower success rate) and if he is able to save you a, member of your team can choose to carry you on their shoulders for the remainder of the mission. I am also told that players can attempt to drag the casualty away from the combat to a safe place to operate, awesome! I may be close, I may be smack bang 100% correct, I may be horribly wrong, or I may have some parts right and some parts wrong. I couldn’t care less, I haven’t played the game yet, I am just trying to help BIS come up with a user friendly control scheme for their awesome game without taking out most of the not as nessacary (or however you spell it) controls and options that makes ArmA 2 feel so awesome.

So if I am wrong, please don’t criticize, but please tell me where I am wrong and if I missed out on what you believe to be a control/action essential to making ArmA 2 what it is, please tell me what I missed out and I will try to modify my controller layout asap.

Oh and once you are in the Quick Command/ Team Orders menu, a good controller scheme would be one similar to Adjutant’s quick command’s button mapping only, BI will of course create their own commands that they see nessacary. (again, this doesn’t show up on my computer’s spell check.)

I am very exited for this game to come to consoles, and to all of those who are hopeful but want a definite answer, or at least a yes we are trying but are have trouble with dar de dar de dar.... I can say BIS are very interested with a console game, and have not forgotten us console gamers. They are still working on OA for PC and aren’t going to stop putting their best into OA or PC patches etc, but are currently in need of a publisher for their game. Operation Flashpoint elite was published by Code masters. Obviously they are out of the picture this time around. When they can find a good publisher they will continue (maybe if the rumours are true and they already have a somewhat working game they will be able to fix up anything) to work on, port to console, you know the usual. I am not going to confirm that this information came from BIS as I would not like to break any rules that i may have missed in the terms of use section and I am not even going to confirm if the info came from anywhere other than myself but if you are looking for proof/ hope, I would advise the ‘Contact Us’ section at the bottom of this webpage.

Anyways, I hope this helped, as I am not here to just reply to something someone said about Xbox 360 not good enough for ArmA 2 or to start rumours, but I am here to help the BIS and console community find a good control scheme in the likely event that ArmA 2 is brought to consoles.

And for my two cents (1.86 American cents, I am aussie) worth, ArmA 2 is perfectly capable for coming to consoles, even if it be the next next generation ones (Xbox 720 maybe) although I am impatient and want it now, but of course will not be as graphically pretty as its PC version. In fact, ArmA2 is almost as capable of being ported to consoles as BIS are of doing so.

The fact is yea sure mods are cool and masssssiiivvvee online games are great but we console gamers are not interested in that. We just want the vanilla game, you know, the campaign, the multiplayer, obviously with less capabilities and a shortened, well i suppose you could say dumbed down mission editor. Even when we beat the campaign on the highest difficulty we will still have hours of multiplayer and when we are bored we will just muck around in mission editor making our own campaigns and until ArmA 3 or the true OFP2 is made, and a while after brought to consoles, we will never get bored. Sure one or two CoD tards will come play but will either quit and trade in straight away or suddenly mature up and forget about CoD and PC gamers can feel that Console Gamers can be and are just as mature as PC gamers.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

here is my um attempt at making my layout look profesional like that other dudes: lol

crap idk how to use this stupid vista pc il be getting windows 7 soon but idk if i attached the link i tried so if there isnt a link you will just have to imagine my layout on that other dude (i mensioned him somewhere in my previouse post) 's professional looking xbox controller lol:bounce3:

Edited by Tom1
just editing my post to make it better.