Sign in to follow this  
Adjutant

Console version of ARMA 2

What ever, I have never made things up or gave wrong infomation on this forum so I have no clue what your are trying to say with your quote.

I could not give a rats butt what you think. If you were a man and PM me I would have let you in on some information. Trying to call me out when I told you I got into some hot water with the MOD's and I gave you the thread to go see for yourself for that sir your are a jackass. Good day.

taking things too personal. Let me rephrase:

You have a tendency to take things that could related to xbox a bit too serious. Any sort of small info is for you proof that BIS is gonna make this for you.

Don't take me wrong, i couldn't care less about the xbox vers coming out or not. I am not planning on getting myself another console (owning a PS3 - got it as a gift - which i used a couple of times ) anytime soon.

Question is: was there a definitive answer in those PMs you keep talking about, that lead you to be so confident? No need to spill any beans that could get you into trouble with "MODs" (btw, you are aware that the only trustworthy answer would be from an actual developer, and not a BIF moderator, aren't you?) Allow me to have my doubts until i am proven wrong...

PS: no need for PMs, i got nothing to hide

A Quote from BANG TAIL:

Why would Arrowhead be released as a full game on console?

Do you have any evidence of this beyond your own speculation?

Stop all the crap? You mean like console fanboys telling us how Xbox 360s are on par with current gen gaming PCs for example?

I'm in complete agreement ;)

Hey, I have gave real proof that BOHEMIA is working on a console port go see for yourself on ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 information thread but I will not give out the PM's again because it got in into some hot water with the MOD's. The bottom line a console BOHEMIA game will came you can't stop it.

Why would BOHEMIA make a stand alone expansion to ARMA2, Why would they call it OPERATION arrowhead. Why would a company not want to make a game for a system that more people will play and can make more money with DLC why. It will happen. When maybe a few months or a year after arrowhead I think it will be sooner.

Hilarious, so basically, still no proof except for YOUR speculation and verbal attacks directed against anyone that disagrees with you.

Thanks for clearing that up.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

So I made the system requirements up did I? uh, no they're from the back of the damn box. I'll be back to revisit this thread when AC 2's system req's are up to give you some more FACTS, until then. Ciao.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

From the article:

"We equipped our test PC with high-end components, a GeForce 280 GTX, and a quad-core Intel Core 2 CPU."

you did nothing but reinforce my point, thanks...next?

No you implied things that simply aren't true as you well know. You won't be missed.

Bye :p

PS : Before you go, can you play that shitty AC2 (The 1st one was pathetic) game in 1920 x 1280 with 16x AA (or more) with all the details the PC version will end up having etc on your 360? Didn't think so.

Edited by BangTail

send me a pm i would like some info on this , opflash2 sucked

Uh... Someone is competing for most PMs? :confused:

I believe there is probably console versions of ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead in existence, but I don't know if they'll ever see the light of day. I doubt publishers are too keen on the idea of putting such a game on the consoles, due to how little it might sell in comparison to the other bigweights in the market.

people forgot about that most of console values are theoretical peaks so lets just compare

L2 cache

XCPU claims 52GB/s

generation old PC real one is 30GB/s

Ram performance

XCPU claims 22GB/s which is possible due use of 128bit GGDR3

generation old PC real values are between 8 to 15GB/s (depends on chipset)

CPU

XCPU claims peak 115GFLOPs (let say reality is half)

dualcore old 1 generation is 25GFLOPs

quadcore old 1 generation is 50GFLOPs

gen old southbridge freaks around real 600-700MB/s so that's faster than XBOX360 theoretical 500MB/s

and any actual generation i5/i7 platform is definitely on par or beyond anything X360 hardware can offer ...

now what console excels at are

audio features sporting 256+ channels which are for sure hw accelerated (irony considering PC xAudio2 officially is software only) plus codecs processing

PC with full variant X-fi with theirs 400MHz APU and 64MB memory could be real match for this but only if used properly by sound API

another gem is VOICE comm (hardware processing, no echo, noise cancelation, crossgame seamless)

then there is

XGPU Xenos which got ultra fast EDRAM framebuffer (only 10MB) allowing nearly 0 performance loss 4x FSAA

as VRAM is used onboard GGDR3 shared with CPU via UMA

feature wise Xenos equals to R600 (HD38xx serie) which fits 2 generations old PC

PC with todays HD5xxx serie is way beyond that

now where real XBXO360 issue lays are:

A)

limited memory size

512MB is awfully low value and IMHO one of major mistakes in concept

while it's fast due being GDDR3 the price prevented it to be e.g. 1024

and decision to not include another DDR2/1 512MB is noticeable

this combined with next one

B)

absence of HDD completely in default model thus slow DVD transferspeed/accesstime

and if there is HDD in XBOX360 it's only 5400rpm models thus nothing blazing fast

this must just by common sense hint what are challenges and shortcomings of PC > XBOX360 title port

generation old PCs got w/o issue 2GB RAM and 512MB VRAM and usable sized and speedy HDD

---

note: as i was 'told' the real performance of consoles is drastically lower than theoretical paper 'peak' :)

---

Edited by Dwarden

Hey BOHEMIA, CODEMASTERS just pulled the plug on OFPDR. We all knew well the old community (most of us) codemasters could never come close to your product/game. However, I ask you to look at the real nunbers of games sold for the 360 and PS3 there is a market for you and your games. I will keep the faith and hope some day.

FYI on 4/15/10 MS is going to shut down the old xbox online and I will no longer will be able to play the best console game ever made OFP ELITE.

FYI on 4/15/10 MS is going to shut down the old xbox online and I will no longer will be able to play the best console game ever made OFP ELITE.

Such a shame, but if you really want it on console so badly, you should get some work and buy a gaming PC, and if you want hook up your xbox controller and use your TV as the monitor.

I dont see a port of Arma 2 happening, now its too late just like OFP Elite, came out right when the new consoles shipped.

You can get yourself a decent gaming rig for 500 dollars.:)

Hey BOHEMIA, CODEMASTERS just pulled the plug on OFPDR. We all knew well the old community (most of us) codemasters could never come close to your product/game. However, I ask you to look at the real nunbers of games sold for the 360 and PS3 there is a market for you and your games. I will keep the faith and hope some day.

do you honestly think arma 2 ported to consoles would have even remotely close to the same amount of content? it would be lacking practically everything, couldnt even be called arma 2 if you ask me.

it would turn out to be another ofpdr, theyd make a small profit and tarnish their name. personally i dont respect sellouts.

Shouldn't be that hard. Just move half the trees, set the grass and everything else to "low", set the view distance to 1600m (or at least lower the LOD to 1000m) and remove the AI's ability to think individually.

Would it be worth playing, that's the real question.

people forgot about that most of console values are theoretical peaks so lets just compare

[...]

Do you know the numbers for the PS3? I'm sure console-users wouldn't mind normal or maybe even low textures. I know that the PS3 (and 360) has problems with their gfx cards and RAM but if you look at some of the PS3 exclusive titles they can be quite impressive. Also I believe the PS3 has a lot more CPU power if the cell processors are used properly, but that might not be applicable in such a game (?) and ofcourse, they all come with BD and HDD.

Finally I would like to say that BIS basically said they would do it if the financial will to do it is present as they obviously won't do it alone. I doubt it will ever be financially wise to launch a niche-game of this scale to a console.

Now for the iphone on the other hand... :p

do you honestly think arma 2 ported to consoles would have even remotely close to the same amount of content? it would be lacking practically everything, couldnt even be called arma 2 if you ask me.

it would turn out to be another ofpdr, theyd make a small profit and tarnish their name. personally i dont respect sellouts.

It would end up being a beefed up version of what the original flashpoint was because bohemia would be behind it, "but" its not going to happen because the xbox just cant handle it...crossfire like 6 of them together somehow and maybe it could happen then lol

Really.... we are still here....

I'm not being an asshole but chances are... well its 100% not going to happen... move on.

wasn't the first xbox thread closed for a reason?

No offense, but I hope bohemia do not go to consoles. Not because I wouldn't like it, but because it would scare me that maybe bohemia would get sucked into the "money" making area of video games.

As long as they always stayed loyal to us pc gamers, it would never hurt, but if bohemia threw us in the gutter for consoles, well, imagine your wife kicking you out after 50 years of marriage...

It would be heartbreaking to say the least!

(But I don't think BIS will ever do that :))

No offense, but I hope bohemia do not go to consoles. Not because I wouldn't like it, but because it would scare me that maybe bohemia would get sucked into the "money" making area of video games.

As long as they always stayed loyal to us pc gamers, it would never hurt, but if bohemia threw us in the gutter for consoles, well, imagine your wife kicking you out after 50 years of marriage...

It would be heartbreaking to say the least!

(But I don't think BIS will ever do that :))

when a company makes more money , it is able to expand , thus more departments and more products ...

when a company makes more money , it is able to expand , thus more departments and more products ...

Of course, but in many cases, you must first sacrifice before you can expand. In most cases of PC dev's moving to console, it was the PC gamers who were sacrificed in order for the Dev's to expand.

Of course, but in many cases, you must first sacrifice before you can expand. In most cases of PC dev's moving to console, it was the PC gamers who were sacrificed in order for the Dev's to expand.

That isn't very likely to happen. Maybe they'll pull resources for the 360 but I think it will be very hard to make something like Arma2 on the 360, it would be a very reduced version. I do believe the PS3 would be better, but then they would (hopefully) hire in a team of PS3 coders and have BIS producers on it. The upside for that one is that they would have to code a new engine from scratch.

Either way, BIS has pretty much stated that they won't do anything on console before the money is on the table. That means that a producer has to hire BIS to make Arma2 (or similar) on the console and I doubt that will happen. The game is hardly a blip on PC radar and generally the console crowd isn't credited with much when it comes to really advanced games. The biggest selling titles on PS3 are arcade shooters and exclusive games funded by Sony. I would think it's similar on the 360.

Edit: Also, BIS has pretty much stated in some interview that OA will the last in its genre.

And with that size comes an accounting department which holds all the purse strings.... cm anyone!?

That isn't very likely to happen. Maybe they'll pull resources for the 360 but I think it will be very hard to make something like Arma2 on the 360, it would be a very reduced version. I do believe the PS3 would be better, but then they would (hopefully) hire in a team of PS3 coders and have BIS producers on it. The upside for that one is that they would have to code a new engine from scratch.

Either way, BIS has pretty much stated that they won't do anything on console before the money is on the table. That means that a producer has to hire BIS to make Arma2 (or similar) on the console and I doubt that will happen. The game is hardly a blip on PC radar and generally the console crowd isn't credited with much when it comes to really advanced games. The biggest selling titles on PS3 are arcade shooters and exclusive games funded by Sony. I would think it's similar on the 360.

Edit: Also, BIS has pretty much stated in some interview that OA will the last in its genre.

regarding your edit. Is that true? what interview? That's too bad. I am just getting into Arma 2 and would look forward to any sequel. Guess I'll be playing the current version for a long time.

I bought this game and my PC runs it just fine, but to be honest the games graphics standards, player control and audio just would not cut it on the Xbox360 or the PS3. I was really hoping it come out on console when it first came out, but now there's no way this game would sell on console. I think Bohemia was very smart keeping this just to PC. Bohemia would need to make a much better version to make it in the The Big Leagues of Xbox 360 and PS3

Is the game/idea finally offcially cancelled? I saw on tothegame the word 'cancelled' next to the xbox360 version of ArmA2.

Makes sense, but is it official? And can somebody provide me with a link (google and search only can do so much)

Same questions for OA

Is the game/idea finally offcially cancelled? I saw on tothegame the word 'cancelled' next to the xbox360 version of ArmA2.

Makes sense, but is it official? And can somebody provide me with a link (google and search only can do so much)

Same questions for OA

It was never officially announced was it? ;)

Can't cancel something that was never officially announced ;)

Wait a second, type "arma 2" in google, and read first link:

"ARMA 2 - The Ultimate Military Simulation for PC and Next-Gen Console."

this is description from official Arma 2 site.