Sign in to follow this  
Adjutant

Console version of ARMA 2

If i could roll my eyes any harder they'd fall out...

IT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN.... even if you can fit some controls on a controller it still doesn't matter because there is NO console out there that can run A2... haven't you tards seen the problems ppl have with even the most uber machines out there... what makes you think an xbox (LOL) of all things can even run A2 at 2-3 FPS.

And if they did it would be so watered down it would only be a negative for BI.... you want to play A2... BUY a gaming machine because there is not going to be any other way.... EVER!

PC has quality and quantity control, consoles don't.

You have a good point, another reason console only players can f'off from A2... if they are serious like you and me then they would make the EFFORT to save up and buy a real gaming machine... its roughly a 3 year cycle to save for my next rig (among all the other things in life).

Edited by 76

hey im new to this thread nd i dnt know how to reply to one person only (if thats possible) so im gunna just hope this is lik youtube threads nd if u reply it sends them email too lol soz for all this but i am newbie to threads. anyways ArmA2 4 consoles! Keep believing nd BI will make it happen 4 us

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

If i could roll my eyes any harder they'd fall out...

IT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN.... even if you can fit some controls on a controller it still doesn't matter because there is NO console out there that can run A2... haven't you tards seen the problems ppl have with even the most uber machines out there... what makes you think an xbox (LOL) of all things can even run A2 at 2-3 FPS.

And if they did it would be so watered down it would only be a negative for BI.... you want to play A2... BUY a gaming machine because there is not going to be any other way.... EVER!

You have a good point, another reason console only players can f'off from A2... if they are serious like you and me then they would make the EFFORT to save up and buy a real gaming machine... its roughly a 3 year cycle to save for my next rig (among all the other things in life).

Look at operation Flashpoint elite, that worked fine, yea sure arma 2's gfx nd all are sh!t loads beter then the 2001 game but BI are perfectly capable of reducing all the frame rates nd all to make a working console version of ArmA 2 and BI will happily tell you that when OA is released it will be in their best interests to create a console version of the game. There main difficulty isn't in fact anything technical like xbox 360 not having the right specs but actually it is finding publisher coz codemasters, activision, and ea are all out of the question each for their equally obvious reasons.

Nd look im not just coming here to tell all u guys lucky enough to have the money for a good pc that a console version is possible. And u all know that BIS isnt stupid enough to let a console version of their game screw up their PC masterpiece, otherwise they wouldnt evn consider making ArmA 2 or trying to anyway in the first place. Look u hav obviously played ArmA2 and you would know how much of a great, awe enspirering game it is, not the wholly sh!t these visuals arwe almost real, not the that sounded just like when i got to fire that gun last year when i went to the firering range feel. No all those things are fu(%$in unreal but the reason BI's simulation games have been so awesome is because of the great AI and realism that has never been close to being matched, hello the USMC and the Australian Army used a modified version of OFP CWC for their Virtual training engine. Its because of that that us console tards want a just plain vanilla version of the game with no mods nd even ofp:elite graphics will do for us. U will always have the better version of the game, nd just maybe wen u guys have ArmA4 us console gamers may be ably to lay ArmA 2 on our next next generation consoles at medium resolution, but for us its not the graphics that count, we just want the same campaign with a dumbed down mission editor like in OFP: elite and if u r a true fan of the masterpiece that is arma2 u would understand wen us console gamers r hopeful wen we learn that it is possible to have a working game and that the developers acdtually have an interest in doing so.

Oh and il have alien ware in 1 and half years if all gos to plan, im saving for six thousand so i can choos best at the time, but please understand why us console gamers are hopeful, and go to the contact us bit at bottom of page for proof nd all

Here's my 2.5 cents.....

I've noticed the main thing console gamers push back on gaming rigs and reasons not to have one is price.

Think about this. You spend $300 for a console.

Then feed it 2-3 games a month at $50.00 each. That's $450 bucks for the console and 3 games. How many console gamers have only 3 games? Let's kick in another 3 games so you have six titles (which is more real-world). That's $600 bucks total.

How many people here could build a fairly good gaming rig with $600 bucks?

I could. Enough to play Arma2 anyway. Then get arma2 for $50.00 You have $650 invested and playing a great game for months. Now you're not buying 3 more games a month. Break even if you only play arma2 is just under 2.5 months (not counting the $300 for the initial console, cause you're going to spend that anyway). And you have a PC that you can do so much more with than a console, and you aren't subjected to the sea of bile that are console games. So while you wait months if not forever for a title to be watered down and ported to the mighty console, in 2.33 months, you would be playing the game for the same price as waiting around for it on the console.

Actual cost of ownership/entertainment is much more expensive on console and the quality of titles are better on PC. Four player co-op? pfft. Alienware=nifty case.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Don't feed that troll Tom, just ignore him.

Grim

Piss off tard, I'm allowed to have an option without some BI/ArmA elitist calling me a troll.... only your thoughts/options are right hey grime .... ....

Luhgnut;1535583']Here's my 2.5 cents.....

I've noticed the main thing console gamers push back on gaming rigs and reasons not to have one is price.

Think about this. You spend $300 for a console.

Then feed it 2-3 games a month at $50.00 each. That's $450 bucks for the console and 3 games. How many console gamers have only 3 games? Let's kick in another 3 games so you have six titles (which is more real-world). That's $600 bucks total.

How many people here could build a fairly good gaming rig with $600 bucks?

I could. Enough to play Arma2 anyway. Then get arma2 for $50.00 You have $650 invested and playing a great game for months. Now you're not buying 3 more games a month. Break even if you only play arma2 is just under 2.5 months (not counting the $300 for the initial console' date=' cause you're going to spend that anyway). And you have a PC that you can do so much more with than a console, and you aren't subjected to the sea of bile that are console games. So while you wait months if not forever for a title to be watered down and ported to the mighty console, in 2.33 months, you would be playing the game for the same price as waiting around for it on the console.

Actual cost of ownership/entertainment is much more expensive on console and the quality of titles are better on PC. Four player co-op? pfft. Alienware=nifty case.[/quote']

+1

Very nicely said and quite true, only have to convince console owners that want this game that they will get their moneys worth if they did go for it on PC...:)

I played OFP for over 3 years nearly exclusivly... thats bang for buck :)

Case in point,

Console $300

Unnamed console war game released $50.00

Unnamed console war game beat in 12 hours +/- (since there is little or no online and DLC, then that's about the extent of the gameplay time)

$350 dollar invested for 12 hours game play. That title alone and initial console investment is almost halfway to a gaming rig to play a game you will spend hundreds if not thousands of hours of gaming in Arma2.

Cost per hour =

Unnamed wargame / console = $29.17 / entertainment hour.

Arma2 / gaming rig = $1.3 / entertainment hour.

Price breakdown:

Console and unnamed game = $350 / 12 hours (the time I beat the game in, actually it was just over 5 hours casual play but meh, leaning toward fudge factor).

Gaming Rig + Arma2 = $650 / 500 hours (least that's what I have logged... and counting with no end in sight... hence you're 3 year exclusively playtime, you're price per hour is prolly less than a penny. )

Your cost per entertainment hour is extremely less going the gaming rig route. If you consider the intangible of having an actual computer, then the value of gaming rig vs a console is over the top.

Jeez, I need a life. If anybody has one I could borrow, I would appreciate it.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1535641']Case in point' date='

Console $300

Unnamed console war game released $50.00

Unnamed console war game beat in 12 hours +/- (since there is little or no online and DLC, then that's about the extent of the gameplay time)

$350 dollar invested for 12 hours game play. That title alone and initial console investment is almost halfway to a gaming rig to play a game you will spend hundreds if not thousands of hours of gaming in Arma2.

Cost per hour =

Unnamed wargame / console = $29.17 / entertainment hour.

Arma2 / gaming rig = $1.3 / entertainment hour.

Price breakdown:

Console and unnamed game = $350 / 12 hours (the time I beat the game in, actually it was just over 5 hours casual play but meh, leaning toward fudge factor).

Gaming Rig + Arma2 = $650 / 500 hours (least that's what I have logged... and counting with no end in sight... hence you're 3 year exclusively playtime, you're price per hour is prolly less than a penny. )

Your cost per entertainment hour is extremely less going the gaming rig route. If you consider the intangible of having an actual computer, then the value of gaming rig vs a console is over the top.

Jeez, I need a life. If anybody has one I could borrow, I would appreciate it.[/quote']

Nar mate :) Very nicely broken down and beautifully pieced back together... if anyone can't understand what you've explained here and see the huge value in getting a PC... then they can bitch and whinge and stay with their console :)

The whole debate about console owners not having the money for a PC is just the typical pseudo-elitist nonsense we get to hear over and over again. Tell you what, my notebook did cost >2000 USD and I don't play games on it (besides boardgame consims via certain GAPs), nor am I interested in that for the future at all. Gaming on a console is something completely different than what you get on a PC. A huge HDTV, a surround system with enough omph to shake your house and sitting comfortably in a relaxing chair while you play your games is different how you folks play games on the PC. I could very much say the same nonsense ('you don't have the money' bla bla) in the other direction e.g. that you PC folks are lacking style and therefore it's apparently enough for you to play games on a PC while sitting at your desk like a monkey on the bike. Does that make sense to you? Is that what you think make you play games on your chosen gaming platform? I doubt that but then please spare us your insights why we have chosen a different way to play and enjoy our games. For most console owners gaming on the PC is not fun and that's why we don't do it. It's that easy, really.

Grim

Edited by Grimnirsson

Even if you somehow would fit all the controls on the controller, what's the point of porting it? ArmA2 plays better on a PC, just as fighting, driving and platform games plays better on a console.

I have played OFP:E, and while it was kind of cool it's nothing compared to the original game. Whether you like it or not, a console version HAS to be streamlined and simplified when it comes to graphics, controls, editor, content sharing, multiplayer hosting, etc.

Every platform has it's strength and putting ArmA2 on a console makes no sense at all. Not gameplay wise, nor financially. Very few console players took OFP:E to their heart, and I don't think it's going to be any different with ArmA2:E.

The whole debate about console owners not having the money for a PC is just the typical pseudo-elitist nonsense we get to hear over and over again. Tell you what, my notebook did cost >2000 USD and I don't play games on it (besides boardgame consims via certain GAPs), nor am I interested in that for the future at all. Gaming on a console is something completely different than what you get on a PC. A huge HDTV, a surround system with enough omph to shake your house and sitting comfortably in a relaxing chair while you play your games is different how you folks play games on the PC. I could very much say the same nonsense ('you don't have the money' bla bla) in the other direction e.g. that you PC folks don't have style and therefore it's apparently enough for you to play games on a PC while sitting at your desk like a monkey on the bike. Does that make sense to you? Is that what you think make you play games on your chosen gaming platform? I doubt that but then please spare us your insights why we have chosen a different way to play and enjoy our games. For most console owners gaming on the PC is not fun and that's why we don't do it. It's that easy, really.

Grim

'For PC Only' OFPDR-------------> that way

Understand and realiseit ain't going to happen.

And you seriously wonder why I call you a troll? What are you - a prayer mill? 'it won't going to happen, it won't going to happen, it won't going to happen'

Grim

@76: you are obviously trolling around now. Just learn to respect other's opinion.

Will A2/OA ever hit consoles:

no one can answer, not even the devs i think (they might be trying to see if it's possible). But without their official statement you are all making assumptions.

Why does every thread like this needs to end up in a flamewar.

I actually have nothing against BI porting this over to consoles IF the PC game remains unchanged (OFP:E is a good example for that).

This doesn't change my opinion that packing A2/OA for consoles is almost impossible (here is where comparing OFP:E with either A2/OA is not working anymore due to amount of features, content and CPU calculation the latter needs) on the current generation of consoles.

The whole debate about console owners not having the money for a PC is just the typical pseudo-elitist nonsense we get to hear over and over again. Tell you what, my notebook did cost >2000 USD and I don't play games on it (besides boardgame consims via certain GAPs), nor am I interested in that for the future at all. Gaming on a console is something completely different than what you get on a PC. A huge HDTV, a surround system with enough omph to shake your house and sitting comfortably in a relaxing chair while you play your games is different how you folks play games on the PC. I could very much say the same nonsense ('you don't have the money' bla bla) in the other direction e.g. that you PC folks are lacking style and therefore it's apparently enough for you to play games on a PC while sitting at your desk like a monkey on the bike. Does that make sense to you? Is that what you think make you play games on your chosen gaming platform? I doubt that but then please spare us your insights why we have chosen a different way to play and enjoy our games. For most console owners gaming on the PC is not fun and that's why we don't do it. It's that easy, really.

Grim

Uh, let's see, my monitor is 25Inch HDMI

Sound System 7.1 surround with subwoofer

my chair high back leather with lumbar support.

I don't see your point.

@76: you are obviously trolling around now. Just learn to respect other's opinion.

Will A2/OA ever hit consoles:

no one can answer, not even the devs i think (they might be trying to see if it's possible). But without their official statement you are all making assumptions.

Why does every thread like this needs to end up in a flamewar.

I actually have nothing against BI porting this over to consoles IF the PC game remains unchanged (OFP:E is a good example for that).

This doesn't change my opinion that packing A2/OA for consoles is almost impossible (here is where comparing OFP:E with either A2/OA is not working anymore due to amount of features, content and CPU calculation the latter needs) on the current generation of consoles.

Ok I'll wear that, this trolling thing I assume is a tag given for replying to posts that the other doesn't like.... If someone want to dispute what I've posted thats basically an invitation to a discussion...no?

It ends in flamewars because two or more ppl know their own truth and won't bend... If it where real-world it would be called a heated discussion :)

and trolling would be debating :)

Gaming on a console is something completely different than what you get on a PC. A huge HDTV, a surround system with enough omph to shake your house and sitting comfortably in a relaxing chair while you play your games is different how you folks play games on the PC.Grim

...one can always just hook ones PC up to the HDTV and surround system. Or am I missing something?

...one can always just hook ones PC up to the HDTV and surround system. Or am I missing something?

absolutely. used to play with a projector and surround sound. ;)

Grim

Whoh well said. I agree when people say simulators are more of a pc style game but if it is possible, and in the best intersts of the developers to make a console version that wont in anyway harm ur version of the game, why cant we play the best damn game in the word, u guys obviously played so u shuld no y we wuld wont a slice of the cake now. And like Grim said, how is pc gaming any better than console gaming, the fact is they are just as good, it all depends on playing style and opinion.

And i dnt have the money for a gaming pc because i wuld rarther spend money on tvs and sound systems so i can throw parties nd go sky diving nd solialise nd all the things young adults should be doing. And by the time I have the money for a gud gaming pc il have my greencard and il be off to paris island training for the real sh!t anyway and none of u 'ohh my d!cI( is bigger than everyone elses pc gamers' will never ever do anything like that with ur lives because ur too busy telling everyone how much better than them u are. BIS PC community have been great, PC and console gamers always got along on the OFP:elite/CWC forums and all very helpful and cooperative with us console gamers. They didnt care that their version was better, as long as they got to play their game with no il effects they enjioyed having console gamers on forums to talk/give tips to.

But when ArmA2 was announced to be PC only, a new breed on PC gamers emerged, showing no faith in their developers. Let me explain:

U guys think ur so much smarter than us, so this shuldnt b too hard to understand, BI will never sacrifice their reputation for making the greatest games / being the best and most caring/ informative developers out their, they will never make a console version of their game if there is a 00000.00001% chance it will have ill effects on their pc games, because the pc versions are their masterpieces, not the console ones, yea surew they are great but without mods, supirior graphics and all that acceability stuff of course PC versions are better, and thats where their main community lies, with PC gamers and they will not let them down to please console gamers, and by u guys saying that a console version will screw up ur game is not only stupid, but an insult to al of the perfectly capable developers at BIS. U are telling them that they are incapable of pleasing both communities, nd in some cases help run ur game BETTER (like when OFP: elite was released alot of peoples OFP: CWC started working beter) and u r calling them liers when they say that they are not going to make PC gamers miss out. And if BI makes a game, they will make money, sure congrats u hav better version of the game but now BI is more popular with console community aswel, and since they will release sh!tloads of copies, they will make truckloads of money, and seeing that they will always take their PC community frist, all of that money goes into Expansion packs, Mods, ArmA 3 etc, and it wont badly effect ur experience, so y shuld u care, u shuld be happy for BI making money.

And one more thing, there is a contact us section down at the bottom of the screen, dont flood them with millions of questions but at least ask one question each about how possible it is to make a working ArmA 2 on consoles. They will 100% tell u that the problem lies not with the porting, (as proven with elite) but in finding a publisher as Activision are signed up with infinity ward and treyarch, Ea are signed up with dice for their up coming game BF: BC 2 and CodeMasters are dickheads. And any devoted fan of BI PC or Console user will tell u that BI are the most capable gaming company in the world, and by saying that they cant make a console game u r calling them incapable and u do not deserve to be on this site.

I would like to say that i am sorry for the mass genrelisation i have made as there are still countless BI fans who have moved from OFP CWC to ArmA 2 are great and are still the same nice and co operative peole they were when elite came out, this post is devoted only to those who are calling the developers who gave them the un believable arma2 game incapable of making the same, but slightly watered down game. . Yea sounds stupic when put like that dosnt it.

And like Grim said, how is pc gaming any better than console gaming? the fact is they are just as good, it all depends on playing style and opinion.

And I don't have the money for a gaming pc because I would rather spend money on TV's and sound systems so I can throw parties and go sky diving and socialise and all the things young adults should be doing.

PC > Console, 'nuff said.

And a HDTV alone costs 2x more than a gaming PC with 24" monitor.

Also "young adults" should be doing whatever they want to do, PC gaming is a form of entertainment just like sky diving (Or whatever else you like).

I also fixed alot of your spelling mistakes, it was getting quite hard to read. ;)

And a HDTV alone costs 2x more than a gaming PC with 24" monitor.

You don't get it, hm? Some people don't want to play on a small 24'' monitor. Or on a PC where you have to mess around with patches and system problems all the time. And some people simply don't want to have a PC standing around in the living room where the home cinema is located. Only because it's possible to do certain things with a PC, many people still don't want to do it for a zillion different reasons. You can also cook a soup in your bathtub if you really want to do that - but some folks find it easier to cook that soup in a stockpot.

PC > Console, 'nuff said.

Yeah, I see - you really don't get it.

The debates here about PC vs consoles are just a waste of time, I'm out. We'll see what BIS will do regarding a console version and I just don't care any longer whether it comes out or not. Would be nice to have, sure, but this guessing around is going on for years now without any new news from BI folks. If it comes out I'll play it, if it does not come out I'll play other games instead. Really simple.

Enjoy your flames, guys...

Grim (leaves the thread to play Fallout 3 in his home cinema room on the 360)

Edited by Grimnirsson

Grim, you are one of the most ignorant people I've ever met.

As many people have said before: You can hook up your PC to your surround sound and big TV or whatever you have.

Consoles are not as good as PC's and saying so is extremely stupid.

Console hardware is more than 4 years old and a controller is nowhere near as good as a keyboard and mouse. Please take your console fanboyism elsewhere.

Grim, you are one of the most ignorant people I've ever met.

Who's ignorant here? You are simply repeating things over and over and you obviously don't read what I write.

As many people have said before: You can hook up your PC to your surround sound and big TV or whatever you have.

As I have said before: you can do a lot of things with your holy PC but that doesn't mean that everyone does want to do that. Is that so complicated? The console is already part of your multimedia/home cinema set in your living room, the PC usually is not part of it. It's possible yes, but not everyone thinks it is desirable.

Consoles are not as good as PC's and saying so is extremely stupid.

'Not as good' - for what? The consoles are good enough for many people to play games the way they enjoy to play them (put disc in and press start), they may be not good enough to run a certain game on the highest possible settings with a bundle of mods loaded (although that's technically possible) - but again: that's not really what all players are after. Give me a game that works on my platform without much hassle and you can keep your mods for yourself.

Console hardware is more than 4 years old and a controller is nowhere near as good as a keyboard and mouse. Please take your console fanboyism elsewhere.

Just because many PC gamers simply suck when trying to play with a controller (like I suck when trying to play with keyboard/mouse) doesn't mean that a controller is always inferior to the k/m combo. Console games are designed for the controller and if the design is good the game works perfectly with it. Many PC gamers also play with the 360 controller btw. And many console gamers also play with k/m on their console. It's a design decision to allow that, not a mysterious tech limitation.

And regarding my 'fanboyism': you may have missed the fact that this here is a thread about Arma2 on consoles, so the only fanboyism here is coming from the PC folks (but they usually hijack every thread where the word console is part of the title - it's like the light attracting the moths).

Grim (now really out)

With mobile phones (lol> cellular) I want a phone that is just a phone... and maybe a camera and those kinda things.... but I do not want a browser to view the web or write and send emails on a 1" crappy screen, I don't need a foldout KB so I can use a limited slow word processor or an mp3 player... and on and on.

Do you know how hard it is to find a good quality phone without paying for all the BS... so I do understand what you mean.

If I want an mp3 player I'll go buy a nice Zen or something, if I want to send an email I'm pretty sure I'd only have to walk a short distance to find a connected PC.

Thats why I love my Nintendo.... its a dedicated gaming console, not a console that plays DVD/CD or Bluray player, with web browsers and all the sh1t... it has a sole purpose and it does it well.

If I want a DVD/Bluray player I'll go buy a good quality one, if I want to web brows I'll jump on my PC.

ANYway... all said I hope you get your wish... maybe you might get OA in some form :)

And regarding my 'fanboyism': you may have missed the fact that this here is a thread about Arma2 on consoles, so the only fanboyism here is coming from the PC folks (but they usually hijack every thread where the word console is part of the title - it's like the light attracting the moths).

Is this like how you were going on and on telling us OFP:DR was going to be the best thing out and how our scepticism was just "fanboyism"?.

BIS perhaps did some console testing but the results didnt match their expectations. ;)

Guess the most pc and probably console players know how bad some game ports can be.