Sign in to follow this  
Adjutant

Console version of ARMA 2

The following information is a collective opinion of me and my friends after having played OFP:Elite and Dragon Rising:

What would benefit Bohemia's franchise is a more autonomous A.I. that has discretion in some areas and decides on its own judgment and a simpler command system!

20j3brc.jpg

5lwdpg.jpg

k01rao.jpg

Happy to discuss the pros and cons of it.

Edited by Adjutant

i am PC owner and i hate games screwed because of console players compatibility

games made for both platforms many times suck and work bad cause preparing something for 2 engines make it poor

and when you play console, not PC , you missing most important thing is BIS games - ADDONS by community

they made OFP2DR screwed because of console

many problems in behavior of Arma 1 were told to be effect of console game connections (Elite)

use PC instead of console and download addons - main issue in OFP, Arma games - community made stuff

We have a thread for the console version of ArmA 2, but a console port would hardly ever have a chance of happening, and if it did it would be for Xbocks Three Hundred and Sixty. Why? The Xbox360 is just a low-grade PC, the PS3 is something different and thus harder to work with.

First this post is going to be locked. BOHEMIA will give some information when they can but try to read between the lines. OFP ELITE was a great port. The commands work fine and the gameplay was the same. Yes the PC had more one hit commnand keys but it work great, a lot better then OFPDR in all areas of commands. They will just make it the same way as the ELITE. Adjutant you are a funny man you have no clue how the the control layout was for the ELITE so you should not give any valuable suggestions go play the game. Have a nice day and welcome to the the fourm.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

We've already seen what happens when you go the console route, things get simplified and compromises are made beyond even those of the PC. Then they sell really well (as any quality console title always does) and so the company expands, floats, and eventually the beancounters decide that the lowest common denominator wins out due to simple bottom-line math, and the shareholders need to be catered for, and ArmA takes a bullet to the soul.

Nah thanks :) I prefer BIS to take a fat slice of a thin pie than take a thin slice of a fat pie.

ArmA2 is suited to PC use only. Anything that BIS make for consoles won't be ArmA in the same way that OFPDR is not Operation Flashpoint.

PC players have already become the red-headed step-children of the computer-gaming industry. If console-players want to enjoy the depth of games like ArmA let them bloody well go out and buy a frickin' PC, we've already had a bellyfull of games being trashed by being coded primarily for moronic consoles.

If console-players want to enjoy the depth of games like ArmA let them bloody well go out and buy a frickin' PC, we've already had a bellyfull of games being trashed by being coded primarily for moronic consoles.

Totally agree. It was a sad moment when I first ran Codemessups OFDR and discovered that they disgraced the soul of Operation Flashpoint.

We still have to fight for, and support, the development of the PC game industry that pushes the limits and fully tries to use the potential of computer power. However, like you said, its PC power vs $$$$-power. I can see a revival coming - unless we all get dumbed down by TV and consoles...

No offence console players, but it does ruin the games we once cherished.

We've already seen what happens when you go the console route, things get simplified and compromises are made beyond even those of the PC. Then they sell really well (as any quality console title always does) and so the company expands, floats, and eventually the beancounters decide that the lowest common denominator wins out due to simple bottom-line math, and the shareholders need to be catered for, and ArmA takes a bullet to the soul.

Nah thanks :) I prefer BIS to take a fat slice of a thin pie than take a thin slice of a fat pie.

ArmA2 is suited to PC use only. Anything that BIS make for consoles won't be ArmA in the same way that OFPDR is not Operation Flashpoint.

PC players have already become the red-headed step-children of the computer-gaming industry. If console-players want to enjoy the depth of games like ArmA let them bloody well go out and buy a frickin' PC, we've already had a bellyfull of games being trashed by being coded primarily for moronic consoles.

First both of you guys are jackass's. I have one question have you guys played OFP ELITE. The game played the same way as the PC version that is the bottom line. The commands work fine yes minus some of the one hit quick keys that the keyboard gave with the PC game but overall the the commands were the same. Why make this a battle between PC vs console.

We all know BOHEMIA will always make the game for the PC first (It's there roots and other products like VBS) but if you guys want BOHEMIA to continue to make retail military games then they will needs to capture some of the console market to help the company grow in the future.

The bottom line console games are big business and the future of games the PC market is slowly going away as console hardware is geeting better with each new system you cant stop it.

BOHEMIA will never sell out and will always keep the game to it's core. They will make the PC first (VBS products) then a console game. They will never do what CODEMASTERS did with OFPDR you should know this if you have been with them since OFP back in 2000.

Stay on topic everyone please. I am not discussing if it is worth developing for the consoles, this is up to the developer.

I am calling for discussion and critique of the control layout and its implications (in my first post). Compare it to drop down menus in OFP:Elite.

Stay on topic everyone please. I am not discussing if it is worth developing for the consoles, this is up to the developer.

I am calling for discussion and critique of the control layout and its implications (in my first post). Compare it to drop down menus in OFP:Elite.

The ELITE worked fine they will keep it the same way as ARMA now go to bed and if you have anything to say say it in the right post LOL.

I am calling for discussion and critique of the control layout and its implications.

Does that really need its own thread? Just use AVIBIRD 1's thread.

The ELITE worked fine they will keep it the same way as ARMA now go to bed and if you have anything to say say it in the right post LOL.

Describe the OFP:Elite command system to me in the following format:

How to select team members.

How to issue a desired command.

How the two above suspend any other functions in the game.

@AVIBIRD 1:

...as console hardware is geeting better with each new system you cant stop it
The game played the same way as the PC version that is the bottom line. The commands work fine yes minus some of the....

You dont get it, do you? Its a difference between a simulation using wheel/clutch/gearbox, joystick/throttle/rudder, TrackIR, Mission editors/functions, mods, and massive online participants/communications compared to a console where you can press buttons and get through the storyline.

I appreciate your point though, but I suspect (might be wrong) that your console puts you far off from the simulation that we PC maniacs feel makes games great.

Calling us Jackasse's doesn't put more weight into your words...

Edited by Ingolf

How can I post a picture of my control layout? Could someone help please?

How can I post a picture of my control layout? Could someone help please?
Upload it to something like www.tinypic.com, copy/paste the url, you can also do this picture (I think that's the command) to show the picture as part of the post.

First both of you guys are jackass's.

Nice. You'll excuse me if I continue the discussion in a civilised tone won't you? :)

I have one question have you guys played OFP ELITE. The game played the same way as the PC version that is the bottom line. The commands work fine yes minus some of the one hit quick keys that the keyboard gave with the PC game but overall the the commands were the same. Why make this a battle between PC vs console.

That's great to hear. So, can you tell me how DAC performed in OFP Elite? Or the Novajev map? Or the FDF mod? Or the Turkish Union addons? Or the UKF Weapons pack? Or indeed anything that elevated OFP from it's default install to a better, higher fidelity state?

We all know BOHEMIA will always make the game for the PC first (It's there roots and other products like VBS) but if you guys want BOHEMIA to continue to make retail military games then they will needs to capture some of the console market to help the company grow in the future.

I already addressed this: niche market. ArmA2 has the entire PC market to itself at the moment, even contenders like OFPDR turned out to be shallow and pale in comparison. We don't have to look too far to see why :)

The bottom line console games are big business and the future of games the PC market is slowly going away as console hardware is geeting better with each new system you cant stop it.

Undoubtedly. But we're not there yet, and IMO we're not even nearly there. Consoles are designed for games, player-centric limited-in-scope games, and cannot handle the uncompromising fidelity of virtual reality that the PC can offer. In particular I'm talking about ArmA2 et al.

BOHEMIA will never sell out and will always keep the game to it's core. They will make the PC first (VBS products) then a console game. They will never do what CODEMASTERS did with OFPDR you should know this if you have been with them since OFP back in 2000.

We (and by we I mean you also) do not know what developers will decide to do in the future. My hope (and my expectation) is as you say, PC fidelity over easy cash route. But I've seen similarly well-thought of developers dumb down their products because of console limitations, and, because I have to say this, the console target audience. I'm not saying you're in that quick-fix ego-shooter target market, but it's the biggest market for consoles by FAR and indeed consoles are designed for such games.

There's another issue: the issue of bugs. Bugs for consoles are a big no-no. You absolutely cannot release a console games with as many issues as OFP, ArmA and ArmA2 had in them on release. They need to work more or less flawlessly right out of the box.

In the PC world, we accept these issues and bugs with good cheer (mostly ;)) for we know it's the price of genuine innovation and complexity. I would by far accept a release version of ArmA2 over a release version of OFPDR. It's another reason the console version will NEVER have the fidelity of the PC version. And, if it does not have the fidelity of the PC version, why release such a version at all? For it won't be ArmA. Just as OFPDR is not OFP.

I was under the impression that the console version for ArmA II was canceled, unless I heard wrong?

I was under the impression that the console version for ArmA II was canceled, unless I heard wrong?

If that's true then I applaud BIS for not compromising on quality :)

First both of you guys are jackass's. I have one question have you guys played OFP ELITE. The game played the same way as the PC version that is the bottom line. The commands work fine yes minus some of the one hit quick keys that the keyboard gave with the PC game but overall the the commands were the same. Why make this a battle between PC vs console.

It's 'jackasses'.

Edited by Langnasen

Nice. You'll excuse me if I continue the discussion in a civilised tone won't you? :)

That's great to hear. So, can you tell me how DAC performed in OFP Elite? Or the Novajev map? Or the FDF mod? Or the Turkish Union addons? Or the UKF Weapons pack? Or indeed anything that elevated OFP from it's default install to a better, higher fidelity state?

I already addressed this: niche market. ArmA2 has the entire PC market to itself at the moment, even contenders like OFPDR turned out to be shallow and pale in comparison. We don't have to look too far to see why :)

Undoubtedly. But we're not there yet, and IMO we're not even nearly there. Consoles are designed for games, player-centric limited-in-scope games, and cannot handle the uncompromising fidelity of virtual reality that the PC can offer. In particular I'm talking about ArmA2 et al.

We (and by we I mean you also) do not know what developers will decide to do in the future. My hope (and my expectation) is as you say, PC fidelity over easy cash route. But I've seen similarly well-thought of developers dumb down their products because of console limitations, and, because I have to say this, the console target audience. I'm not saying you're in that quick-fix ego-shooter target market, but it's the biggest market for consoles by FAR and indeed consoles are designed for such games.

There's another issue: the issue of bugs. Bugs for consoles are a big no-no. You absolutely cannot release a console games with as many issues as OFP, ArmA and ArmA2 had in them on release. They need to work more or less flawlessly right out of the box.

In the PC world, we accept these issues and bugs with good cheer (mostly ;)) for we know it's the price of genuine innovation and complexity. I would by far accept a release version of ArmA2 over a release version of OFPDR. It's another reason the console version will NEVER have the fidelity of the PC version. And, if it does not have the fidelity of the PC version, why release such a version at all? For it won't be ArmA. Just as OFPDR is not OFP.

Hey we are all here for the same thing. To support BOHEMIA and the games they make.

Your right the PC can bring much more to a game with community MOD's but I am talking about the vanilla games (OFP,ARMA1,ARMA2 and soon to be ARMA-OA) My point is BOHEMIA made the gameplay of OFP ELITE as close as possible to the gameplay of the original PC game. All the basic commands were there, Yes the community added so much more with details but the original was still one of the best PC game that I have played.

Your right most console FPS players are COD fanboys with a low attention span and no patients for a slow pace game like ARMA2 just go look at the OFPDR fourms, however a good number of players want a different type of FPS and some of us old PC players don't have a rig to run ARMA2 and prefer to play on a console now as well as some of the little boys have to grow up some day. My point is there is a market for BOHEMIA on the console for them to make money and not have to sell out.

I don't understand why you guys don't relax. I find this funny but most of my old friends who still play PC games use a hand control and play on there big ass HDTV set. Wow sounds like a console system minus the keyboard for quick commands and community MOD's. Due you see what I am saying there is room for us both as long as BOHEMIA KEEPS the game to it's core.

BOHEMIA will, retail games are a secondary to them VBS products are the core to the company. ARMA games are just somewhat of a port from them with some things taking out to improve the fun because at the end of the day it's a video game and not a real military simulator. Real simulators are not fun it's work. So you can do a real job in the real world.

We are all on the same team and we all want the same game so relax and have fun with ARMA2 and lets us hope they can get the FPS rate and the loadtime working for us.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

I don't understand why you guys don't relax.

Hey, you are the one calling names bud, not anyone else :)

The reason there is very real concern is that every time there is a console-led development, the PC product ALWAYS suffers. Always.

Hey, you are the one calling names bud, not anyone else :)

The reason there is very real concern is that every time there is a console-led development, the PC product ALWAYS suffers. Always.

Hey do you read or just replay. BOHEMIA will never turn it's back on the core gameplay.

VBS (semi simulator) It's more like a training tool then a real simulator. ARMA games are just a port from them with some items taking out and some added to improve the fun factor because its's a game. The console versions will just be a port from ARMA with some things limited to make it work on a console system hardware. Why are you so afraid. You don't real know BOHEMIA as a company. Like I said before but you don't read VIEDO GAMES ARE SECONDARY TO THEM FOR SOME EXTRA CASH. VBS products then PC games and then console port if they can get it to work.

The thing you need to understand there are not a video game company.

BIS don't make VBS, BIA do. BIS make the base engine, BIA develop it into a new product.

I am not afraid, for I'm fairly certain it won't be done. I just don't see any value in reducing ArmA's featureset so that it fits into a console. It goes against what the product is designed to do. You'd end up with something similar to OFPDR, which you already have. I really don't understand the desire to do that.

Particularly if VIDEO GAMES ARE SECONDARY TO THEM (as you said yourself).

But anyway, neither of us will decide the console future of the product :)

BIS don't make VBS, BIA do. BIS make the base engine, BIA develop it into a new product.

I am not afraid, for I'm fairly certain it won't be done. I just don't see any value in reducing ArmA's featureset so that it fits into a console. It goes against what the product is designed to do. You'd end up with something similar to OFPDR, which you already have. I really don't understand the desire to do that.

Particularly if VIDEO GAMES ARE SECONDARY TO THEM (as you said yourself).

But anyway, neither of us will decide the console future of the product :)

Then answer this have you played OFP ELITE.

I played OFP PC from 2000-2005 then I played the elite from 2005 and currently still playing it. Yes it does not have community MOD's and the editor was somewhat limited but I could make missions from my PC and port them to the xbox using action repaly. The gameplay was the same. So how can you say the game will be different from it's PC version.

Yes I know the differents between BIA and BIS they are the same overall company just different sections. Go back to all the other PC threads this is getting old and have a nice day.