Sign in to follow this  
CybrSlydr

So - what's changed between 1&2?

I have ArmA 1 - got it from the Sproket people and it was fun.

What are the biggest differences between 1/2 that would make me want ArmA 2?

I have ArmA 1 - got it from the Sproket people and it was fun.

What are the biggest differences between 1/2 that would make me want ArmA 2?

ArmA II is more like Elder Scrolls IV with assault rifles.

It's alive. This is exactly what a lot of gamers wanted since Operation Flashpoint.

Huge territory. Way bigger than the islands in Arma1.

AI is more tactical, smarter most of the time.

Most of it is in the graphics and immersion. It doesn't feel like playing a computer game as much as where Arma1 tended to feel computer-ish. It just sucks you in better.

Take Arma1 and add all the mods with the exception of ACE. That's what Arma2 is out of the box. When ACE comes out for it, it's gonna be wild.

That's one thing I noticed between OFP2: DR and what I remember of ArmA 1. ArmA has the "living world" thing pretty good.

So there's an RPG element to ArmA 2? Really?? How deep is it? I like the sound of that if that's what you're talking about. :)

What's the current status of the game - have they ironed out a bunch of bugs? Or is it still buggy as hell? What's it run like on Win7 x64 - anyone know?

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it as I remember being very frustrated by ArmA 1.

Actually, Arma 1 landmass is bigger than Arma 2. It is around 60km^2 bigger. However, a massively improved AI, a very useful set of new scripting commands, the script modules, and the new equipment is very much worth getting Arma2.

See... I'm not interested in the editor at all. Never used it once in ArmA 1. So... scripts and all that are of zero use to me.

I'm not interested in designing missions or anything - I'm interested in playing.

So there's an RPG element to ArmA 2? Really?? How deep is it? I like the sound of that if that's what you're talking about. :)

The campaign is a personal narrative with multiple endings, that's about it. Unless you count there being so many types of civilians and animals.

Well, having a few options in how the story ends is a good addition!

Actually, Arma 1 landmass is bigger than Arma 2. It is around 60km^2 bigger.

Sahrani (including all islands) is 120 square kilometers. Chernarus has an infinite landmass. :) (225 square kilometers)

Better heli sounds, and gun sounds out the box. Graphics are much nicer, AI are better in town and villages with pathfnding & cover.

You can load all stock A1 maps into A2 now :)

See... I'm not interested in the editor at all. Never used it once in ArmA 1. So... scripts and all that are of zero use to me.

I'm not interested in designing missions or anything - I'm interested in playing.

Even as a player, you should be interested. The better the editor, the better the quality of custom built missions out there. And let me tell you, there are some quality missions built already.

No, I'm just saying that for me, a great mission editor isn't a selling point. It's not a reason I'd buy the game.

No, I'm just saying that for me, a great mission editor isn't a selling point. It's not a reason I'd buy the game.

I'm a big fan of ArmA2. I I'd still recommend you to buy another game. ArmA2 is only worth buying if you like the editor and want to design your own missions (wich I like). If you want a genuine gaming experience out of the box - go for another game.

A2 is much better graphically and super explosion effects

if you like A1 , you will like A2 too

In A2 you can also reload while moving and step over small fences making combat more dynamic. You can also receive and give first aid which can make missions much more survivable.

Look there are many threads/post with all pro's and con's.

Straight up, if you loved OpF and Armed Assault then buy it, if you didn't then don't. Simple....

ArmA II is more like Elder Scrolls IV with assault rifles.

It's alive. This is exactly what a lot of gamers wanted since Operation Flashpoint.

this.

play 5 minutes of ArmA2 and you'll notice how overwhelmingly better it is than ArmA.

ArmA was an in-between project to keep the fans happy and the company afloat. in my opinion, from a gamer's point of view, it should never have been released.

ArmA2 on the other hand, is a true sequel. it does everything better than OpF, or at least just as good (whereas ArmA actually did some things worse than OpF).

if you loved OpF, you'll love ArmA2. if you liked ArmA, you'll love ArmA2.

I loved OpF, didn't like ArmA at all, and love ArmA2.

I have to say, that Arma 2 did take me back to my military days... so in the aspect of bringing about a military feeling, it can live up to that.

As far as all the issues that Arma 1 has/had. All of them are present:

1. Poor LOD and Texture loading

2. Poor speech engine

3. Team AI that's a step above retarded (requires way too much hand holding)

I'm not saying it's a terrible game at all. I'm just saying beware if you're expecting the bugs that were persistent in Arma 1 to be gone.

It does have:

1. Better looking GFX

2. Better SFX (excluding music)

Despite the fact that I get frustrated with the missions on the hardest setting (seems the AI is a little omnipotent (OFP style)), I still find myself drawn back to Arma 2.

I loved OpF, didn't like ArmA at all, and love ArmA2.

Exactly the same here. Arma 1 lacked the immersion and the feeling that ofp had. Arma 2 feels and looks awesome.. though it still needs patching as mentioned "several" times, not only because of the bugs but it has potential for much more. From what i've read and believe myself I'm sure BIS will support this game for a long time. Anyway, I don't regret one bit for purchasing this game, having a great time with it. :)

The Graphics are better. The location is 10x better and detail of the landscape is just amazing. The movement feels more natural to me, not as clunky as ArmA 1. I think there's a good balance that's been reached (of course it's all fully customizable so if you don't like it change it).

Weapons play is about the same but it was already great dating back to OFP1.

The storyline is much better and the open ended missions are great. Likewise the SP warfare missions suck to me, but it's only 2 of them. They are still fun but I like being a grunt vs. controlling an army.

MP is about the same to me, but again, it was already great. As far as the editor and modules go, you may not ever make a mission, but the fact that others have those options gives you plenty of great detailed missions to download. So it's a win/win, whether you like making missions or not.

The addition of civilians add a ton to me also. There's also nothing quite like coming to the edge of a forest to a field filled with wildlife and cows as you scout an attack on a farmhouse across the way. It's just all engrossing.

One significant change between ArmA1 and ArmA2 is the ability to reload on the move.