Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

What exactly are the AI's capabilities?

I remember reading a while back that the AI under your command would lose or gain "moral" depending on your leadership skills.

Also enemy AI apparently can report your positions to other AI in their vicinity.

etc. etc.

Is there anywhere where the actual abilities of the AI are accurately documented?

Alot of people have done AI tests, havn't got any links but you can look for them.

But yes, AI will lose 'moral', they will occasionally retreat and split up.

They also will report any sightings to other AI, you can also ask AI for this info, but it's not always correct.

The last few survivors of a large group of squads will often route away.

But I often wonder how much the AI thinks about the terrain strategically. I know they'll naturally move into defensive formations, but can they see dead ground, vegetation and buildings as cover in-between them and a faraway, ill-defined enemy?

Just to regurgitate the question :

Do the enemy AI "communicate" with each other? ie I was spotted by a chopper so ran into the trees to avoid visual contact but it seems that an enemy AI patrol in the vicinity knows I'm in the area now. Do they actually "communicate" or have I moe than likely gone over a trigger somewhere?

If those squads have simply been dumped there in the editor, they will not communicate. They can be made to report to each other and render support.

In the player-made Cipher mission, for example, if you make so much as a peep, every hostile squad in the AO will come down on you.

If those squads have simply been dumped there in the editor, they will not communicate. They can be made to report to each other and render support.

I believe the editor always place everything at lowest settings by default...

The AI on harder is quite rabid. Love it when you insta-kill infantry at 1000m distance with a silenced sniper rifle and suddenly you have everyone in the town firing at your position with +-5 meter accuracy and while you are crawling away - inside a forest behind boulders - they are tracking your every movement and continously fire until either you or they are killed. I have literally just stood up and let myself get killed in this situation.

The funny thing is, I distinctly remember one of the patches mentioning a fix for the telepathic communication of the dead.

I believe the editor always place everything at lowest settings by default...

The AI on harder is quite rabid. Love it when you insta-kill infantry at 1000m distance with a silenced sniper rifle and suddenly you have everyone in the town firing at your position with +-5 meter accuracy and while you are crawling away - inside a forest behind boulders - they are tracking your every movement and continously fire until either you or they are killed. I have literally just stood up and let myself get killed in this situation.

The funny thing is, I distinctly remember one of the patches mentioning a fix for the telepathic communication of the dead.

Higher skill settings won't make squads coordinate. Even a medium-skill soldier, however, can unfairly pinpoint your exact location if you fire a loud weapon. It's not the dead communicating, though that used to happen and was patched out, it's everyone else overhearing.

But I often wonder how much the AI thinks about the terrain strategically. I know they'll naturally move into defensive formations, but can they see dead ground, vegetation and buildings as cover in-between them and a faraway, ill-defined enemy?

Sometimes they really suprise me. I made a mission where 2 groups assault a town, about 400m away and instead of following my waypoints, which stupidly go straight down the middle of the road, the groups both moved about 100m or more to their flank and moved on the town from the woods, which tactically made alot more sense. I should note this happens when some random enemies are seen before we get to the town, and not if we have no enemy contact prior.

Of course, we all died because an AI Hind providing support crashed into the ground instead of taking out an enemy BMP. :P

I only wish the means which the AI used to take cover was the very simple (sounding) method of "enemy to the north=get on south side of tree, building, wall, hill, forest."

Right now they are more likely to run five meters, flop on the ground and look around intently. Half of them will lean out from some cover on a good day. If they could all just hightail it to the nearest piece of brick or stone instead of waiting for the bullets, that would be great.

...How?

...How?

The easiest way is too just give them 'Guard' waypoints in the editor.

Scripts like DAC for example will also do that, though in a more advanced way.

The easiest way is too just give them 'Guard' waypoints in the editor.

Aah. So groups set to "Guard" will communicate with other groups?

It takes a bit more than that I'm afraid.

You'll need to define an area to be defended (Trigger, Guarded by xx) And even so they will not magically communicate.

Speaking of which this would be an excellent improvement drive for BIS. A simple 'contact sharing' Module. (where two squads could be synchronized to a module and then share target data.)

-k

It takes a bit more than that I'm afraid.

You'll need to define an area to be defended (Trigger, Guarded by xx) And even so they will not magically communicate.

-k

You dont need the trigger (Thats just to let them guard a certain position), they dont literally 'communicate', but they do share their target knowledge between groups and will react to it.

I discovered that the AI are actually much more intelligent then i first anticipated. I loaded up Utes, and whacked a US infantry squad of AI on the runway. On the other side of the runway, i loaded up an airborn MI24.

Once the MI24 had spotted the US soldiers and began to move towards them, all the of the US soldiers sprinted into the forest line. They actually stayed in there aswell. The mi24 went on several straffing runs through the forest, and only got about 3 kills. I did the test again, but set the US AI to careless, so they stayed on the runway. In just 2 straffs, all soldiers were dead.

Very impressive!

I discovered that the AI are actually much more intelligent then i first anticipated. I loaded up Utes, and whacked a US infantry squad of AI on the runway. On the other side of the runway, i loaded up an airborn MI24.

Once the MI24 had spotted the US soldiers and began to move towards them, all the of the US soldiers sprinted into the forest line. They actually stayed in there aswell. The mi24 went on several straffing runs through the forest, and only got about 3 kills. I did the test again, but set the US AI to careless, so they stayed on the runway. In just 2 straffs, all soldiers were dead.

Very impressive!

Yeah, tested now with a T-90 instead of the Hind.

But they only ran for cover after being shot. Before it they just laid on the ground and done nothing.

When the tank saw them, was already too late.