Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

FlexiAI (WIP) discussion

Damn those Dev's continuous AI updates as it's holding back this mod :mad:

:D

Definetely :)

I'm waiting the time this mod won't be ever needed.

That's the reason i'm progressing so slowly.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

fabrizio you will risk giving a date for the beta or the full vercion?

Sorry, when it's ready. You see in videos something working, but i am not showing you the countless things that aren't ;)

Edited by fabrizioT

Yeah noticed that.

Looks very cool but it doesnt improve the A.I. itself.

Do you think your Mod is going to be compatible with GLT's one ?

I have to check it out, i don't know how it's working.

From what i understand it's similar to the already excellent GroupLink mod and it's adding some more features.

maybe its time for FLEXI AI beta testing??:D

You have GLT, go test it :D!

It will be interesting when ACE beta arrives to test this with Ace/Zeus combination and report what you find.

It will be interesting when ACE beta arrives to test this with Ace/Zeus combination and report what you find.

+1

exactly the combination I had in mind. Better yet let US test that combination :D

Just curious about how heavy ACE2 will be.

I'd like to run it, but i'm not sure my HW can handle it :(. Well at least it's modular.

On-topic: freezed development a bit, i'm not sure the direction taken after beta build 60819 is the right one, AI wise ...

I see improvements made for Player-led groups quite interfering with AI-led groups behaviour effectiveness.

Let's wait and see.

In the meantime if you're NOT usually playing as a squad leader i suggest you to roll back to BETA build 60819 and check it out again ;).

EDIT: Glad to see that Protegimus (developer of Zeus mod) expressed a similar opinion.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Today i gave a run to beta build 61062.

AI behaviour resembles build 60890 and up.

To me this is a step back.

AI was doing well with the softer formations in the early 608XX builds, now it's not as effective (and good looking) as it was.

Due to the unnatural tightness of actual AI formations (leading to a large amount of undesired micro-movements of units) combat efficiency of AI groups is somewhat compromised. Suppressive fire has been lessened. AI groups are too much vulnerable to area fire and grenade lobbing.

With this kind of behaviour FlexiAI scripts won't be capable of assuring any real benefit over vanilla AI anymore (infantry combat wise), so i doubt it's worth continuing the development :(.

Freezing ad waiting.

EDIT:

Despite these problems, BIS devs efforts don't cease to amaze me. I really can't praise them more.

I'll double check 61062 and give them all the feedback i am capable to, before considering taking any decisions about further FlexiAI development ...

Edited by fabrizio_T

Today i gave a run to beta build 61062.

AI behaviour resembles build 60890 and up.

To me this is a step back.

AI was doing well with the softer formations in the early 608XX builds, now it's not as effective (and good looking) as it was.

Due to the unnatural tightness of actual AI formations (leading to a large amount of undesired micro-movements of units) combat efficiency of AI groups is somewhat compromised. Suppressive fire has been lessened. AI groups are too much vulnerable to area fire and grenade lobbing.

With this kind of behaviour FlexiAI scripts won't be capable of assuring any real benefit over vanilla AI anymore (infantry combat wise), so i doubt it's worth continuing the development :(.

Freezing ad waiting.

EDIT:

Despite these problems, BIS devs efforts don't cease to amaze me. I really can't praise them more.

I'll double check 61062 and give them all the feedback i am capable to, before considering taking any decisions about further FlexiAI development ...

Oh please no :(((((

Is there any chance of a release or do you stop working at it ?

This is/was one of my most wanted addons.:(

same feelings, and i though the changes with last betas were good :(

Is there any chance of a release or do you stop working at it ?

This is/was one of my most wanted addons.:(

+1)

no +100

I am testing beta builds in order to give some feedback about some things that are not working anymore since beta build 60890.

Development is freezed, but that does not automatically mean that it will be definitely stopped. I'll take that decision after v1.05 public release.

Glad to hear your not abandoning this. The thought of an enemy AI squad out there watching me but not yet engaging is just to tantalizing to resist!

Hey fabrizio_T,

Did you get a chance to test 1.05 patch, how do you feel about the AI improvements over the beta.

I am asking because I cant test it myself until early next month and I trust your opinion regarding the AI :)

I am still using 60819 for that matter.......

Any hope for FlexiAI still

Hey fabrizio_T,

Did you get a chance to test 1.05 patch, how do you feel about the AI improvements over the beta.

I am asking because I cant test it myself until early next month and I trust your opinion regarding the AI :)

I am still using 60819 for that matter.......

Any hope for FlexiAI still

I am downloading it now.

Just a little resume about AI in beta patches: in my opinion AI behaviour was quite broken in patches from 60890 to 61974 included.

Suma kindly told me AI behaviour was rolled back to 60819 with build 60906, but as of yesterday i finally knew the roll-back didn't properly work due an accidentaly typo in the code.

From what i saw it was not working indeed.

I think now v1.05 should closely resemble 60819 behaviour, i am going to check it out and see ...

I'll decide about FlexiAI depending on what i see in v1.05.

In the meantime we can all enjoy SNKMAN's GL4 ;)

Edited by fabrizio_T

So what you see in 1.05 Fabrizio?

1.05 is for sure partly broken, AI wise.

That's what i see, i'm sorry.

Sometimes AI does work, most times it just does not.

3 major things bugging me:

• Units just stop following leader for no reason, so entire groups get stuck for minutes. This is a big issue.
  • Formation handling for AI-led group way to rigid. Units dislike cover and prefer drawing graceful geometric formations on terrain.
  • Sometimes units are quite unresponsive to incoming fire.

Probably the patch was rushed and something got messed badly, i see no other explanation.

Also none of these issues were present in early 60XXX beta builds, i highly hope that things will be sorted pretty soon.

I posted some 1.05 videos, you can notice yourself most of these problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOdEe9YbcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dceB29o2IN0

FlexiAI wise, recently i did work alot on tactical grenades/smoke throwing for mid-to-close quarter combat and it's working quite fine, improving AI behavior to some extents and making it way more aggressive. Problem is basic AI behaviour is just messed at the moment.

What's strange is that by running the same mission say 10 times you'll see AI doing unpredictable/useless things 8 times, while it will work perfectly fine the remaining 2 times :(

Maybe i'll post an update video if i will be able to get AI working once more ... sure when it works it does wonders.

EDIT: happy new year to everybody hanging around!

Edited by fabrizio_T