Unit expansions

Would you buy these expansions?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy these expansions?

• Yes
    • No
    • I think its bad idea to devolepe such expansions

Hello.

I got this idea after some other games and simulators, and I thought why wouldnt it be good for ArmA too.

More toys, more fun, right?

I thought, that BIS could make and sell Expansion packs, that add many vehicles to game, for one side. As an Example, an USMC Expansion, that would add vehicles used by USMC (Mh53 etc..)

Price would be something like 9-10$

If there were such expansions would you buy them? Basically it could add more factions, like UK expansions that added British units. They could import them from VBS2 so it wouldn't slow down their AO or patch devolepent.

AO is going to add all new stuff, and its cool, but the idea I am thinking is like expansions for Flight simulators, where you get more planes to fly with.

I wasnt sure if this is right place to post, but please, do tell me what you think.

-Kristian

Well, the community will make it for free.

Exactly. Why pay for something, when we the community can make it?

True, and personnaly I prefer to buy a 35€ big expansion rather than numerous little DLCs .. "I won't ever pay for DLC"

Edited by dunedain

Thanks for replies, quite true. BIS Community has allways had awesome addons, though official stuff is mostly better lookin'.

How much did resistance cost when it came out BTW, I bought OFP GOTY edition so I dont know the standalone prices.

I really like having alot to play with, and I like making my "not so pro but fun" missions and playing them with friends, if expansions we're official, and most playrs would have them, there wouldn't be problem of downloading alot stuff and messing with modfolders. Though I rather mess around with folders than pay 10€.

anyways, replies are appreciated! :)

If they each came with their own missions or a mini campaign for each faction, then yes, I would definantly buy them.

However, as others have said, there's no point when the community just makes them for free.

No thanks. OA and the community efforts on making quality addons are enough ;)

I wouldn't buy them from BI.

No offense, but there far to many things missing/unfinished/broken with the existing units (ie: UAV functionality, C-130 turning radius, compartment views on several vehicles, etc) that I've already purchased.

I have been know to contribute (Paypal) to mission and mod builders who have produced complete and functionally detailed works, though.

Thanks for replies, quite true. BIS Community has allways had awesome addons, though official stuff is mostly better lookin'.

That is not true whatsoever!

There are addons that have better detailed than Official ()units etc).

I would not buy them though!

Talking about piracy is not permitted here. ;) Removed the third poll option.

I doubt very much that units/vehicles alone is a good business model.

In fact I'm willing to bet that MS's expansions are mostly just for advertisement of the main product which I suspect enjoys a very big share of the flightsim market.

I believe OA will only pay off if it features a campaign (that's decent). And I say that as a neutral because I never cared about the campaigns, at all. But I believe the story lines are by far the biggest incentive to buy. Although I would also say that for it to gain the veteran's thumbs up, which may be very important, it also needs to feature a good proportioned island - like Resistance did - and not like QG.

This is my view, for what it's worth, although all of it is conjecture I admit.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ...

... there was a time where BIS made official little "expansions" and shipped it with their patches. That was great. That's one of the points why I still believe in BIS.

But time has changed... :icon_sad:

I wouldn't buy vehicles... we can d/l them.

I would buy and expansion like OA with campaign, sp missions, multiplayer maps, new vehicle/weapon addons.

I would buy a russian expansion or other fraction campaign anyday as would alot of ppl.

Well alot of community members are very talented and offer their work for free for us to use, It gives them Fame and something to put in their portfolios if any of them want to get job doing it. :)

BIS sticks with 2 expansions per game which are BIG.

OA FTW.

That is not true whatsoever!

There are addons that have better detailed than Official ()units etc).

I would not buy them though!

I know there are ALOT very talented Addon makers, and I am very glad there is, but what I am saying, that I rather take BIS made stuff, than some OFP port. I am pretty sure that BIS will fix existing vehicle bugs, as it has done with OFP and ArmA1.

Community has made many very nice addons that I would think they'd be official unless I knew better. Like the RAF Chinook, FDF mod stuff, and many other addons.

:)

I know there are ALOT very talented Addon makers, and I am very glad there is, but what I am saying, that I rather take BIS made stuff, than some OFP port.:)

Well, there is almost no OFP port to ArmA2 by addon makers, mainly because of the great polycount difference.

Well just look at queens gambit, that split a lot of people. Many complaining when modders used items from it so it was dependent to have it for certain maps and such, meaning many just didn't bother.

So its not that they have never done it becuase QG = they have already in arma1. I think that with Arrowhead as "standalone" seems the best way BIS have learned to go because of past things, but as for us, as its already been said .. it gets modded for free :)

In terms of quality, if BIS were the only ones to release extra content (units etc) then to a point, yes the quality would be of a high average. Although there are, as has been mentioned alot of talented addon makers out there.

I'd hope my units manage to be passed of as BIS content if you didnt know better :)

I think BIS should make expansions for ArmA2 the same way that Dawn of War and Company of Heroes have expansions.

Say for example BIS made a new map the size of Chernarus set in winter, with a campaign and a new NATO army other than the US, winter OPFOR, and an OFP style campaign (no immersion breaking-warfare). All they'd have to do would be recruit more artists, modellers and mission makers. Surely that's worth paying for? Yes a mod could do it, but these guys would have quality control, and would be much more standardised.

The issue with Queen's Gambit was that it didn't add enough new content to be purchased by the majority of the community, and yet the few useful additions meant mission editors preferred it, thus splitting the community. If BIS's expansions had enough content, they'd definitely be worth it.

That's kinda what I hoped Arrowhead would be, but now it's looking like it might be more of an engine upgrade too. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I guess they could run into problems with features like FLIR if backwards compatibility is intended.

Edited by Daniel

Its a good idea and I support anything that keeps BIS pumping out the goodies. However, it will potentially split the community as Dice did with bf2 and its booster pack. I got both euro and Armoured and could never really find a game on an AUS server, and almost no one in my clan had the booster packs either.

I'd hope my units manage to be passed of as BIS content if you didnt know better :)

Ahh, but of course! They look awesome! hope you get to use PUKF Weapons with em' since they're best of best available UK weapons (I think so, feel free anyone to disagree with me :P )

I am still not clear about AO though, will it be like expansion so you need ArmA2 to play /install it, or is it standalone game? Can it be installed toghetter with ArmA2 so I can use units and maps from ArmA2 in AO?

I liked the way the original Ghost Recon expanded with Island thunder & Desert seige etc (best example I can think of). But again, its simply a new map, new units/vehicles, some new weapons, some new music, new scripted missions.

And the scope of what modding can do for the scene in this sim makes that look like childsplay, so I cant think as I did say before it would be a worthy thing to "sell" to people.

Then again we have Arrowhead so surely that's the answer to the thread right?

I am still not clear about AO though, will it be like expansion so you need ArmA2 to play /install it, or is it standalone game? Can it be installed toghetter with ArmA2 so I can use units and maps from ArmA2 in AO?

Theres a whole thread about this here have a search :) ... it seems that its all upward compatible IE anything in arma 2 con go inside arrowhead, but unsure the other way. I can see Arrowhead as not just a map/units etc addon but updated engine specific for it also. Fixed up arma2 parts and additions, its a way to make sales too because like QG it didnt have enough of a selling point to many, whereas a updated engine for it than can import arma2 things means you can use Arrowhead as the main engine loader and everything else pulls in nicely. So you get new engine features & the usual expansion additions.

BTW heres the Arrowhead thread, plenty of reading material :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83717

And the Q&A :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=84824

Edited by mrcash2009

Expansions are always a mixed bag for me.

I play with a pretty small group and every time a "required" expansion comes out, we lose a chunk of our population. We avoided it ArmA1 by simply all refusing to buy into QG. Sadly, there were a good many missions that we couldn't run as a result.

Expansions tend to fragment the community, IMO.

Ahh, but of course! They look awesome! hope you get to use PUKF Weapons with em' since they're best of best available UK weapons (I think so, feel free anyone to disagree with me :P )

Have got my own SA80s for my units :) they are looking ok at the moment.

OP:A is a standalone game but will intergrate perfectly with ARMA2 if you have it (i use perfectly but you never know) so that you can use the units/vehicles etc in the editor, i think you will have to choose to load ARMA2 if you want the SP campaign from it though.

With expansion packs, I'm all for extra vehicles, gun and infantry but as has been said, the community probably stops BIS from doing this because most factions end up being covered by an Addon maker sooner or later.