Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

CSM2 version: 1.04f is available via the Yoma Addon Sync repository - backup your existing version before you update!

The Auto config URL is:

http://www.computerrepair.uk.net/updater/ArmA2-repo.7z

This release introduces new weapon sounds for the: M16A4, the M240 and Mk_48.

There are also some additional bullet sounds.

The M16A4 sounds are another test. They are highly characterised and while not from the highest quality source, should please those seeking authenticity.

Bear in mind that each sound takes around four hours work to get it to a usable state in game, so when posting your comments (or requesting help) please include your system spec's, especially sound card and headphone / speaker setup - feedback is pretty much worthless without it.

That said, the download is worth it for the new MG sounds alone.

A couple of points that may be of interest - if you are having trouble distinguishing the distance a weapon is fired from, you should check your sound card settings and try disabling any software rendered effects such as pseudo surround, dynamic range leveling or similar and ensure your speaker settings match what you are actually using, headphones/5.1, etc.

Creative users should adjust Creative Audio Control Panel settings and test - they have a dramatic effect on how sounds are rendered in game.

Also, following a remark about stability of ACE 2 when using sound mods - if you are using the following configuration only:

CSM2 with ACE 2 but without ACEX_SM

During extended testing, stability with ACE 2 appears to improve when the following components of @ACEX_SM\Addons are always loaded (.bisign files included only for reference):

acex_sm_c_sound_world.pbo

acex_sm_c_sound_world.pbo.acex_sm_b29.bisign

acex_sm_main.pbo

acex_sm_main.pbo.acex_sm_b29.bisign

acex_sm_s_wep_bis.pbo

acex_sm_s_wep_bis.pbo.acex_sm_b29.bisign

acex_sm_s_world.pbo

acex_sm_s_world.pbo.acex_sm_b29.bisign

All other .pbo's were simply moved to the @ACEX_SM parent directory to disable them.

I'd be interested to know if anyone experiences the same results.

Protegimus

Edited by Protegimus
Backup

Thanks for the update, can't wait to try the new MG sounds. Regarding ACEX_SM: is there anything wrong with loading all of @ACEX_SM with @CSM2? (of course using the config file to have CSM take priority.)

I am looking for 1.04e since I forgot to backup and would like to revert.

Gone from the web surface...

Can someone please help me ?

Using CSM2 only (that NEEDs ACE2?) the AH-1 and Hinds don´t have engine sounds. (yeah, changed the #define). Also the Mk19 seems strange, judging form other games and videos.

But man... Last ver. i checked was the 1st releasem an now is WAY better. Outstanding work.

Using this and JTD Fire&Smoke you can do a damm immersive warr movie at home.

Hi everybody!

Does someone know if it is possible to add the old M4-Sounds (i guess they changed with version 1.04d) to the new version 1.04f?

It would be great because noone of our squad likes the new sounds. Maybe it is possible to offer two new versions. One with the new M4/M16 sound and one with the old ones.

By the way: This is the best sound mod i know for ArmA2! Great work!

...Regarding ACEX_SM: is there anything wrong with loading all of @ACEX_SM with @CSM2? (of course using the config file to have CSM take priority.)

No, that's cool mate - my advice was aimed only at people using that specific configuration.

Hi everybody!

Does someone know if it is possible to add the old M4-Sounds (i guess they changed with version 1.04d) to the new version 1.04f?

It would be great because noone of our squad likes the new sounds. Maybe it is possible to offer two new versions. One with the new M4/M16 sound and one with the old ones.

By the way: This is the best sound mod i know for ArmA2! Great work!

I expected a bit of love/hate for the new M16/M4 sounds!

If you wish to use different rifle sound modules together, all you need are the following files from the version you prefer:

CSM2_c_wep_rifle.pbo

CSM2_c_wep_rifle.pbo.CSM2.bisign

CSM2_s_wep_rifle.pbo

CSM2_s_wep_rifle.pbo.CSM2.bisign

I won't be offering both versions - there is really no need. All you have to do is make a copy of the @CSM2 directory before you update, then you can mix and match whichever modules you prefer.

I am looking for 1.04e since I forgot to backup and would like to revert.

Nikoteen - what is it about the foxtrot release that you don't like?

Protegimus

Using CSM2 only (that NEEDs ACE2?) the AH-1 and Hinds don´t have engine sounds. (yeah, changed the #define).

None could reproduce this?

possible to change the M249 sound too ? because your new sound are totaly amazing !

I really appreciate new sounds from 1.04f, now i can definitvely change my"old" 1.03...

Thx a lot for your !!!!

the shilka needs work. i fire one shot. i hear one shot. and 50 rounds come out making no sounds

The M240G has lost it's deep full sound, the MG Gunners in my ArmA unit are not liking it. That and it seems that the RoF has changed (ACE?) has us looking at our beloved 240's with some dismay.:mad:

Edited by SgtMjr

The M240G has lost it's deep full sound, the MG Gunners in my ArmA unit are not liking it. That and it seems that the RoF has changed (ACE?) has us looking at our beloved 240's with some dismay.:mad:

Aye, that was also a good sound if I say so myself, pity it's so different in character so as not to be able to use it together with the new versions. We'll see if the new ones stand the test of time. Anyway, all you need to revert are the following files from a previous version:

CSM2_c_wep_mg.pbo

CSM2_c_wep_mg.pbo.CSM2.bisign

CSM2_s_wep_mg.pbo

CSM2_s_wep_mg.pbo.CSM2.bisign

possible to change the M249 sound too ? because your new sound are totaly amazing !

The M249 is pretty much spot-on to me. I put a lot of work into it and also took a lot of feedback back in January, so other than a bit of taming of the noise from the working parts caught in the sample, I expect I'll have a hard time improving on it unless something really good comes along.

My experience is with the British para Minimi - I wouldn't of thought there'd be much in it, but correct me if the SAW is that much different.

Protegimus

I would like that aswell, the current sound is very scratcy.

the shilka needs work. i fire one shot. i hear one shot. and 50 rounds come out making no sounds

Vikk I tested this with CSM2 and do not experience any problems. Post the configuration you are using and your system config and I'll take another look.

You could also try slightly reducing your in game volume level - maybe it's the old clipping problem.

Protegimus

Can anyone post a youtube vid with 1.04f PLEASE?
Hey, if you're still interested I've uploaded a short video in 1st person view. You'd obviously be best hearing them first hand though. You can view it
anyway.
None could reproduce this?
I've tried with just CSM2 (and edited the config file...) and had engine sounds with both internal and external view. While I'm unable to actually fix it, if you could post some more details or even a basic mission file I'll try and replicate the issue.

Thanks for the continued updates to the sound mod. I've been using CSM2 for sometime now and it's definitely one of the must have mods.

Hey, if you're still interested I've uploaded a short video in 1st person view. You'd obviously be best hearing them first hand though. You can view it
anyway.

I've tried with just CSM2 (and edited the config file...) and had engine sounds with both internal and external view. While I'm unable to actually fix it, if you could post some more details or even a basic mission file I'll try and replicate the issue.

Thanks for the continued updates to the sound mod. I've been using CSM2 for sometime now and it's definitely one of the must have mods.

There is no more details, just put those units (Cobra and Hind) in the editor. No sound for them.

Since you say you have those sounds, I will download the file again, maybe it was just a corrupted file.

EDIT: Looks like thats a conflict with the JTD Fire and Smoke(the first and only version released on Six).

Edited by Smurf

Well, shouldn't the M249 have a somewhat different sound than the para variant just like the M4A1 should have a different sound than the M16A2? Then again, IRL I only heard M16A1 and M4A1, not M16A2, but the first 2 had a noticeably (but not greatly) different sound.

Vikk I tested this with CSM2 and do not experience any problems. Post the configuration you are using and your system config and I'll take another look.

You could also try slightly reducing your in game volume level - maybe it's the old clipping problem.

Protegimus

its probobly becuase my community uses ACE. and we have a weird Target line setup.

and i know how to get to the configurations you are talking about