Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

This mod is great but sorta unusable in its state..heck none of the cannon sounds even work as Pete mentioned..Hopefully will get resolved soon?

yea i agree its a great sound mod but the cannons dont seem to work. The AH64 and AH1Z cannon have no sound in 1p and 3p as far as I have tested. Not sure about tanks and APCs. Trying to fix this by using vehicle sounds from ACEX_SM. Hope the audio levels are not too loud.

Really enjoy this SM and thanks for the work Chammy, just in passing, reckon the m4/m16 sounds could be abit louder? really quiete compared to the other weapons, just a view :)

CSM2 version: 1.04a update is available via the Yoma Addon Sync repository, the Auto config URL is:

http://www.computerrepair.uk.net/updater/ArmA2-repo.7z

The update fixes the missing cannon sounds introduced in version: 1.04 when breaking down the weapons config.

Hi, just wanted to inform you that you've got some updating base class errors in the mod.

http://www.pastie.org/880896

Thanks for this VKing - any advice on how to go about tracking down the cause?

Protegimus

A normal link would be good, thanks for the fix :)

Hello everyone!

I'm back! I had to reinstall Windows 7 with a genuine copy of the Home Edition (ugh) so I'm good to go. I just need to reinstall ArmA1 and 2 and my material and the rest of the other software and I will be up and running again. Felt like forever. I'm going over the errors and other issues right now listed here in the forums so bare with me with the time, also, Protegimus hasnt been around much so I have no idea where he is as he would know about the issues.

:yay:

, also, Protegimus hasnt been around much so I have no idea where he is as he would know about the issues.

:yay:

He's been playing with us in the 15th MEU (SOC) ARMA2:cool:

OK, can anyone help me with this useconfig error I keep getting?

What I did was make a folder and name it "useconfig" though, I didnt have to do that earlier, unless, hmm, I forgot. Anyways, I still get the error even with the csm2_clientside_config.hpp file in the ArmA2 folder or in the userconfig folder I created. Can someone refresh my memory? thanks

yes thats right, inside the userconfig folder are the mod specific folders.

ACE and CSM2 for example.

I still do not have any idea. I wish I remembered how I did it earlier..... Hey, look at the post number to my right hahha

Ok guys, i got it to work, well, accidently, I kinda figured I needed ACE2 installed also as I think, ArmA2 looks for the ACE mod

...Not really-you can choose if you want to use ACE² via the .hpp file.

Heres the tutorial from Armaholic:

To configure CSM2 to override ACEX_SM Weapon classes (default setting), the:

Code:

#define CSM2_ACEX_SM

statement is included in the client configuration file:

...\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\userconfig\CSM2\csm2_clientside_config.hpp

If you are using ACE 2 but do not use @ACEX_SM sounds, or you wish to use

CSM2 standalone or with another sound mod, then change the above statement

to a comment by preceding it with '//' as follows:

Code:

// #define CSM2_ACEX_SM

CSM2 will then no longer check for @ACEX_SM dependencies and will start

without the popup message.

Ok, I've tested it for the whole night yesterday and here is my feedback:

1) Some sounds seem to be missing or very low in volume (meaning the end result is a weird "silence" moment in which there should be sound). Some examples for reproduction of this issue are the M203 (which reloads nicely but doesn't have the "plop");

Try latest version with improved config.

2) I am experiencing weird situational awareness issues when using this mod. ...

On the other hand ... gathering and using sound information around me leads me to wrong conclusions, unexpected enemy placement and wrong tactical awareness.

The latest version has some minor adjustment to relative level for specific sounds, this may improve your experience.

I am not saying this is "wrong" or anything, I am just reporting my side of the coin: there is something weird about it. I tend to rely on sound information a lot during gameplay and every time I use this mod I easily find myself killed by a wrong evaluation of distance, enemy fire effectiveness, direction, position, etc.

From my experience the very linear experience delivered by ArmA II or with other sound mods I've tested isn't representative of being in or near a combat zone. What I do know is that it is extremely difficult to locate firing positions based on sound alone, something the vanilla game allows way too easily. Add to that the shear amount and level of noise, the environment, plus pressure of a situation and you may appreciate CSM2 is a lot closer than you might expect.

It is extremely hard to pin point the reasons: maybe weird crack/bang relationship between bullet passing by and muzzle noise? maybe weird bullet impact sounds? The immersion is good but it tends to stay the same regardless of the situation, which kills the spatialization because it freezes it to one "setting"..the setting is a good one, full of depth and immersive but it's not able to shape itself into different tones and shades, to reflect specific situations.

End result: everything sounds "nicely immersive" but it always sound THAT way..which recursively results in: wrong assumptions -> wrong tactical deployment -> amateur death.

Thanks for the excellent work! Keep it up!

-Alberto

Yeah, the ArmA II engine allows only near and far supersonic cracks per round, so there is little room for variation and nothing like the opportunity to tailor for specific situations - hopefully something for a future release.

The engine does do a decent job of dulling sounds at distance, but it has so many flaws that need to be addressed even to bring it up to the same level as we had in ArmA.

You could try using the modules seperately to allow you to identify if it is a specific weapon characteristics that causes you trouble.

Protegimus

Thanks Protegimus for the extensive info! I was starting to worry for the fact that noone had replied anything to my post, not even a line!

I'll make sure I try these out, right now we're extremely busy with some other projects we're collaborating with, but I'll try to squeeze as much time as I can!

Keep it up, you guys definitely know what you are doing! Thumbs up!

Hello everyone!

Welcome back Chammy.

I've been on holiday after a busy period working on a major project for an offshore company, but have been improving a few things as I have had time.

Let me know if you have any material available and I'll include it. Be worth grabbing the latest version as I've rewritten the majority of the config:

CSM2 version: 1.04b update is available via the Yoma Addon Sync repository, the Auto config URL is:

http://www.computerrepair.uk.net/updater/ArmA2-repo.7z

The update improves balance of some weapons by small adjustment of relative level, plus one or two additional sounds.

@CSM2_P85 is a test only config version to replace cannon sounds in Vilas P85 modification, it is not needed for CSM2.

Protegimus

Edited by Protegimus

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

You also need the userconfig, I forgot to include it in the archive!!!

Download from the downloadpage linked above!

Edited by Guest