Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

I don't really understand how to make the mod work with ACE...would kinda like it standalone, but I get that error.

I don't really understand how to make the mod work with ACE...would kinda like it standalone, but I get that error.

I don't know what happened to Protegimus but he can help. If not I will have an update soon, soon as i get a few more loose ends tied up.

you have to edit the userconfig that comes with the mod so that it doesn't check for ACEX_SM. CSM2 works great with or without ACE.

Chammy you CAN'T update from WinXP to Win7 :o LINK ...from Vista you can but from XP no :rolleyes:

Well, I have a "copy" of XP, that's the only thing. i bought it off of an Auction site, I found out later I had to keep updating the version because of the validation warning kept coming up because it wasn't a legit copy, I didn't know it was till I received the copy, so the guy would send out details on getting around the warning every so often.

That might hinder my ability to get an upgrade from Win XP to Win 7 if the system checks to see whether or not its a legit copy and asks for a serial number.

Do a google search. There are ways to install the Upgrade version without having previous versions. If I have time to find the link I'll post it.

edit: This isn't the exact one I was thinking of, but it has all the info you need :)

Edited by Grizzle

havn't followed the hole thread now but:

Chammy, your soundmod is just great :)

it was for arma1 and is now the faaar best in arma 2.

hope you can improve it further!

i just saw that you have troubles with your pc, windows or whatever.

As i am working as an admin, i think i can help you with pretty much everything, if you need something. feel free to PM me. :)

rgs krazi

Chammy you CAN'T update from WinXP to Win7 :o LINK ...from Vista you can but from XP no :rolleyes:

Well lately I am able to use the computer but until 2 hours, it restarts, which is getting really irritating.

Right now I am still using the RC1 7100 Build, I didn't have a previous OS on my computer, although, I did install a Win XP system but as soon as I went to finish installing I couldn't find the activation key for it, hince, I had a non legit copy, so I went and installed the Win 7 7100 version. I also do not have a legit copy of Win XP, when I bought it I found out later it was a copy.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Do a google search. There are ways to install the Upgrade version without having previous versions. If I have time to find the link I'll post it.

edit: This isn't the exact one I was thinking of, but it has all the info you need :)

Now if I was to do either, wouldn't I have problems later validating my copy of Windows?

I'm don't think you'd have trouble validating, but from what I read it may not be "clean" if you know what I mean. Apparently you can do it, but from memory they suggest to do a clean W7 install to avoid any "unnecessary complications".

You mean the Home Premium of XP or of Windows 7? Ultimate is just so damned expesive though. SO really, there is no way to save anything on the computer right?

Simple instructions on how to do an in place upgrade from Windows 7 RC1 to RTM here.

It's not supported by M$, but it should be.

CSM2 version: 1.04 update is available via the Yoma Addon Sync repository, the Auto config URL is:

http://www.computerrepair.uk.net/updater/ArmA2-repo.7z

I still haven't found a way to fix the M16A4 ACOG base update class error - can anyone offer advice on this?

Protegimus

Edited by Protegimus

Will the new update be on the SIX network? I just ran the updater but there was no new version available.

Thanks.

Ok, just tested the new update, not sure if this is happening with anyone else but it seems that the sound for the LAV-25 M242 is missing or damaged. Also, thanks for the update. :) lol

..... sound for the LAV-25 M242 is missing or damaged.

I'll trade you the LAV-25 for the Apache 30mm :p

I get sound for the LAV-25 though the impact sounds seem to be missing. Completely missing the 30mm on the Apache, both in firing and impact (I don't believe this was introduced in this update). Only sound is the crackling if you alter the view.

Using TR Soundmodules and ACE2 SM (CSM2 config set to override ACE).

found a bug : no firing sound on the M230 (apache gun)

There are impact sounds missing in ACEX_SM so far. Dont know if that has anythin to do with above posts though. Try run without ACEX_SM and see if it works.

Thanks guys for the update. :)

Thanks for the update! I am going to try it now.

Hi chammy. i have a bug with your sound mod.

several weapons have several bullet sound. it's really annoying. each time i reload a magazine, the ammo sound changes.

the M107 per example, has 4 different ammo sound...

Ok, I've tested it for the whole night yesterday and here is my feedback:

1) Some sounds seem to be missing or very low in volume (meaning the end result is a weird "silence" moment in which there should be sound). Some examples for reproduction of this issue are the M203 (which reloads nicely but doesn't have the "plop");

2) I am experiencing weird situational awareness issues when using this mod. On one hand CSM2 is extremely good at recreating the illusion of a combat environment: if you make 40 AI go against each other and put some background radio chatter you can really fool people into thinking they're watching real war footage.

On the other hand..when you actively take part to the battlefield (meaning you're not doing a machinima, which is probably the 5% of my whole ArmA 2 experience) - gathering and using sound information around me leads me to wrong conclusions, unexpected enemy placement and wrong tactical awareness.

I am not saying this is "wrong" or anything, I am just reporting my side of the coin: there is something weird about it. I tend to rely on sound information a lot during gameplay and every time I use this mod I easily find myself killed by a wrong evaluation of distance, enemy fire effectiveness, direction, position, etc.

It is extremely hard to pin point the reasons: maybe weird crack/bang relationship between bullet passing by and muzzle noise? maybe weird bullet impact sounds? The immersion is good but it tends to stay the same regardless of the situation, which kills the spatialization because it freezes it to one "setting"..the setting is a good one, full of depth and immersive but it's not able to shape itself into different tones and shades, to reflect specific situations.

End result: everything sounds "nicely immersive" but it always sound THAT way..which recursively results in: wrong assumptions -> wrong tactical deployment -> amateur death.

I hope I've given some kind of constructive criticism: I know and I am ready to assume that my brain might be wired in such a wrong way that I don't appreciate or utilize this mod to its fullest. To me it sounds great for machinima, not for active playing..and it took me a while to get what was wrong with my playing.

All I know is I that "wrong brain cabling" doesn't apply to other situations, but that's probably not worth mentioning.

Thanks for the excellent work! Keep it up!

-Alberto

I've also discovered the the cannons on the following don't seem to play noises anymore:

Ah-64D

BMP - 2 + 3

BTR-90

LAV-25

These are all I've tested so far, but it seems that auto-cannons don't work.

it indeed seems to need some addons from the ace sm addon.

quite few i can say...

I'm using the version that's still on SIX and works fine :rolleyes:

For once it seems not getting the update was good.

This mod is great but sorta unusable in its state..heck none of the cannon sounds even work as Pete mentioned..Hopefully will get resolved soon?