Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

What Mark said. If the player is on the receiving end, 200m away from the muzzle, he doesn't want to hear the shooters internal weapon mechanics working, that give the weapon a very characteristic sound close up. In the end it`s all about immersion and a believable athmosphere, not so much about trying to recreate the dynamics of the real deal. As this is not possible. :)

i think it would be good to do away with the 3 different sounds coming from one gun. i was holding an M16 and fired it, then reloaded without moving and got a different noise from the 2nd mag...and another noise from the 3rd mag. Then it cycles through the noises after each reload. It just sounds a bit odd to me. I'm loving everything else about this sound mod, but the multiple noises thing is bothering me some.

i think it would be good to do away with the 3 different sounds coming from one gun. i was holding an M16 and fired it, then reloaded without moving and got a different noise from the 2nd mag...and another noise from the 3rd mag. Then it cycles through the noises after each reload. It just sounds a bit odd to me. I'm loving everything else about this sound mod, but the multiple noises thing is bothering me some.

gotta agree with this. or at least take one of the 3 and use that as a base, tweaking it to make the other 2 for slight variation.

gotta agree with this. or at least take one of the 3 and use that as a base, tweaking it to make the other 2 for slight variation.

Yes, that was what I wanted to do in the first place heh, real life has me by the balls lol. One single shot as one type of sound and another for burst or auto, possibly 2 for auto and burst, BUT, it wont just be a total different sound, the base sound will be the same for all , just the echo will be tweaked out differently.

After updating to the latest ACE version:

ACE - v222

ACEX - v175

ACEX_SM - v18

ACEX_PLA - v10

CBA - v52

me and another guy in my team noticed that some of the sounds went "missing"..namely (for example) the M4, the SMAW firing sound etc.

I suspect this might have something to do with the ACEX_SM update?

Can anyone verify this please, it makes CSM2 unusable with ACE at the moment. I will try my best to provide further info and record a video, too.

Thanks again for the great work Chammy,

-A

Seems to work fine with mine (i made a über quick test) :)

Thanks! I will give it another try..weird that both me and another friend were having the same issue.

He reported that sounds "close to him" were gone..while he could hear those from afar correctly.

Thanks for the report, again,

Alberto.

Well as i said, i just made very quick test with only trying the M4 and SMAW so i might be wrong... i guess we got to just wait for others to give us info if they have noticed that. :) BUT atleast M4/M16's did sound normal on my end.

I've just tested it and I don't hear the problems we experienced yesterday. I must say, however, that the problem was with sounds being "generated" in the near surroundings, not from the weapon being fired by the player himself.

So I think I would either need the AI or better (to simulate what happened) another player with:

@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX@ACEX_PLA;@ACEX_SM;@CSM2

to do some firing range tests while staying very close/close/far from him.

Plus: yes, the "multiple magazines=multiple sounds" is a little weird. All in all amazing work! My favorite sound mod so far along with HIFI. Keep it up!

CSM2 update is available via the Yoma Addon Sync repository.

The Auto config URL is:

http://www.computerrepair.uk.net/updater/ArmA2-repo.7z

Full .7z archive download from URL

Changes are minor, M16/M4 weapons use only single sounds or closely matched variations.

Improved: M249 & M240 sounds (completely new M249, M240 link feed time reduced) and small adjustment to balance a supersonic crack.

@albertors: There is no issue between CSM2 and yesterdays ACE2 updates.

No news on Six Updater, unfortunately.

It would be good to make use of Yoma's in the meantime as it's a far more efficient use of bandwidth to download just the changed .pbo's ;)

Protegimus

Edited by Protegimus
Full archive available for download

@albertors: There is no issue between CSM2 and yesterdays ACE2 updates.

I was just about to post that we extensively tested most of BLUFOR weapons and encountered NO problem at all. We were not able to replicate the error so I guess it was just a temporary weird gizmo.

Thanks Protegimus for officially clarifying this even more!

I don't care if I repeat myself: congrats for the amazing work.

Can you release it in a .7z form? Please.

Also, if your still working on it, could you possibly add more PUNCH to the M4 sound. Its soo dull. It sounds nice, but its just dull. No UMPH.

Also, I noticed with several weapons, especially the M16A4, that they have multiple sounds. For instance with the M16A4, I will turn one way and it will have the normal sound then I turn a different way and it sounds different, sounds good but different from the original, THEN I turn again and it sounds different again. Its very strange. Not really a bad thing though. Happens with the SAW also.

It's working great!

I am going to post some quick firing range tests soon..

Edited by Reezo

Good stuf guys

The M249 finally sounds mucch better than what it was!

And the M4 maybe sounds a bit louder?

M16 sounds great too.

:)

It's working great!

I recorded a quick firing range test for some of the most important BLUFOR weapons: M4, M203, M16, M249, M9, M136, SMAW, DMR.

Dude where did the video go?

What convenient to add it the Yoma Addon Sync,thx. I personally love east weapons,but find AK series still have some defects, sometimes the sound of auto,burst,semi are quite different,sometimes after you changed a magazine, sounds different too. Why?

First off thanks for the new version.

Second. I have a suggestion regarding helicopters. The sounds i heared so far sounds very good - also inside. Good work. However there is "too little work" in the new area that ARMA2 brings - underneath. When a heli passes over you in ARMA2 you can add a new sound under it so that it sounds more powerful/more props or what youd like to have there (you know what i mean). I see that you added some more volume underneath wich i think it what one should do, but i also think that it should be more distinct prop sound under there so that when helis flyby you hear more "roar/prop/power/volume" as they pass.

Same sound as the rest of the outside heli plus more distinct prop/volume mixed in to that new config "underneath" area would IMO even better enhance them.

Just a suggestion. :) Keep up the good work!

Alex

Had another thing i forgot to add. The MLRS imact explosion sounds i really like. :) However is it possible to make them a tad louder in volume? Especially over distance if possible. Had some rain down beyond the clear sound range (in the occluded area - after 1km or what you have it set to) and they were imo a bit too low. Those imacts are huge. ;)

Thanks.

I would love to have the sound of the M4/M16A4 more sharp and klingy rather than deep and bassy(pomp pomp pomp). I think the sound of the G36 actually fits the M4/M16A4 much better than the current sound :)

In my opinion the sounds of the AKS, AKM, PKM, PKP, M60, M240 & M249 are very nice :cool:

Anyways i love this mod, keep up the awesome work :cool: